• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Granon and Tosantos open year round?

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
I have had a request from my good Catholic Aunty to walk some of the Camino in November - she is 70 ++. Granon to me must be one of MY best experiences ever so I would like to blow her mind away with the real Mcoy..... will they be open?? I am thinking of taking her on a further stint from Burgos to Carrion de los Condes as I think that streach is MAGIC!! My method of thinking is , that she can fly to Santiago anytime , but to experience the Camino first hand....?? What one week stint would you guys suggest. Bear in mind that we will probably ony walk for 5 miles a day and get a bus or taxi to where we want to be.
The other plan I have is to start from Zubiri and perhaps finish in Granon.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Well Renshaw I am just a bit biased :wink: but I would not pass up Grañón! I was there as a pelegrina in 2010 and returned this July for 2 weeks as a hospitalera - one of the best experiences that I have ever had. I then took a bus to Burgos and walked to Bercianos (5 days but you would need more). I just love this section, especially around Castrojeriz.

Grañón is open all year round (has a fireplace) but as far as I know Tosantos is not. We hospitaleras went over to visit them this summer and when I asked about them being open in the winter I was told no.

Jesús the priest in Grañón said that is is VERY quiet in the winter. I think that it would be magical though cold.

Good luck planning! But be sure to check guides, mundicamino or eroski sites to see which albergues are open in November.

Cheers,
LT

Indeed Granon is always open and very special. The sign reads “Welcome pilgrim make this your home”. The handsome common room has a fireplace and comfortable furnishing. Everything is done with overwhelming kindness to make each pilgrim feel at home. The hospitaleros are always kind and helpful while the communal meals are most pleasant. This is authentic caritas. Long may it last.

Remember, however, that the Granon albergue is located within an uninsulated stone church tower and generally unheated other than by the fireplace. Pilgrims sleep on mats spread across the balcony floor. Late last October it was very cold; other years in January and February it was FRIGID. Be prepared!.

Margaret

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Re:

LTfit said:
I just love this section, especially around Castrojeriz.
Grañón is open all year round (has a fireplace) but as far as I know Tosantos is not.

Sounds like I am on the right track. I too have been on a HOSVOL course - trained by one of the very best I will tell you and one day I would like to do a Hospitalero stint at Granon , help that lovely Fransiscan Monk in Tosantos and also the small Viana Paroquial.

Totally agree Renshaw! Viana is on my list too (although it is the luck of the draw - guess that I was just lucky).

But as I hope/plan to finish the VdlP next summer from Zamora through Ourense to Santiago I might just check out possibilities there. The Spanish Federation (hospitaleros supplied by HOSVOL) is also responsible for the pilgrim albergues in Alcuéscar, Salamanca and Zamora although the last 2 can not at all be compared with the parish albergues such as those in Viana, Grañón, Tosantos or Bercianos.

Let us know what you decide!

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back