A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

is hummus readily available at supermarkets in spain?

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
thankyou! big chickpea enthusiast over here.
Mind you, I am not positive 100%, but those supermercados are quite well stocked with a wide variety of foods and such.
Tip...bring your own bag/pack when you shop in the supermercados. You save a few euros on not having to pay for a bag and it is better for the environment.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
weirdly specific i know. i just really love hummus
In Spain they put a lot of chickpeas in broths, soups, as a side dish etc. so I would say you can get hummus in supermercados and even smaller shops too.

rorygilmore

Camino(s) past & future
April May 2019 (hopefully! still on the fence!
yup! i live in germany so i've got a handy little shopping bag that fits into its own tiny pocket ready to go :)

Reactions: RJM

MinaKamina

Camino(s) past & future
Jacobspad 2017
hummus is mainly mashed chickpeas, babyfood really, plus some extras. bring a real fork instead of a spork, and a small jar of tahini.

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
2019 Biarritz-Pamplona-Lourdes
2018 Aragon/Frances/Finis
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
We eat hummus AND routinely shopped markets in Spain during our CF in 2018, but neither of us recall seeing hummus. Doesn’t mean it DOESN’T exist but I’m pretty sure we would have picked it up had we come across it. Most of the CF towns have tiny markets, so even if it’s available in large cities, you really won’t be in those much.

Oddly enough, 100% pineapple juice IS widely available! 🤔. And of course, fresh-squeezed OJ machines in nearly every bar....

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/?/Invierno ('19)
No worries - there may not be the processed stuff for sale, but hummus is so easy to make.

Take the juice of a lemon and mix it with tahini (an espresso-cup sized amount, about 1/4 c).
Salt, then a little garlic or cumin if you like them.
Smash a tin of garbanzoes up with all that...a drizzle of olive oil if you like.
Voila.
A food processor is best but on the camino a fork will have to do.
It'll still taste great.
There are garbanzos for sale in tiendas all along the camino. And lemons. You may need to bring the tahini.

Magwood

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
I live n Spain and eat a lot of hummus, although I mostly make it myself. You will find jars of chickpeas in even the smallest village shops, but hummus is less available. Large supermarkets will sell it. Mercadona and Eroski definitely. Lidl and Aldi most probably. Supersol I would think so.
Tahini is not so easy to find, but available in health food shops.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
No worries - there may not be the processed stuff for sale, but hummus is so easy to make.

Take the juice of a lemon and mix it with tahini (an espresso-cup sized amount, about 1/4 c).
Salt, then a little garlic or cumin if you like them.
Smash a tin of garbanzoes up with all that...a drizzle of olive oil if you like.
Voila.
A food processor is best but on the camino a fork will have to do.
It'll still taste great.
There are garbanzos for sale in tiendas all along the camino. And lemons. You may need to bring the tahini.
Using a fork will create our own Jerusalem style houmus a bit lumpy - I don't recall many blenders in the albergues so try this instead: pour a can of chickpeas with the juice - don't loose those vitamins and minerals - into a pot and heat them up, mash up in anyway you can about half of them into a gloopy soup/sauce add the remaining whole chickpeas add lots of tahini and you have 'masbaha' - a Palestinian/Lebanese/Syrian/Israeli dish served warm but not hot - a true comfort food!

Luka

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pelgrimspad I, Via Monastica, Via Podiensis, Via de la Plata, Camino Francés, Camino del Norte...
It is not so common here, but Mercadona has it. And you can buy jars of chickpeas everywhere.

Wendy Werneth

Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés from St Jean Pied de Port (2017)
Camino Primitivo (2018)
Camino de Madrid (2019)
Oh, how I wish hummus were more readily available on the Camino! It's the perfect vegan picnic food. I did find it a few times along the way, but definitely not in every supermarket. Will you be doing the Camino Francés? If so, here are the places where I found hummus along the route in 2017 (as a food/travel blogger I keep detailed notes of what I eat):

Pamplona - Raíces restaurant and a shop called La Despensica
Logroño - Begin Vegan shop
Nájera - Eroski supermarket
Burgos - Viva la Pepa restaurant
San Nicolás Real Camino - the 2nd bar has it (look for the signs saying they have veggie food)
Hospital de Orbigo - Albergue Verde
Foncebadón - Albergue Monte Irago
Las Herrerías - Miriam's Hostel
A Balsa - El Beso hostel
Santiago - TS A Casa

I can also tell you where to find hummus on the Camino Primitivo in case you're interested :)

As others have said, canned chickpeas are widely available, so you could also make your own, but you would need to bring tahini or go without.

Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
I've several times seen it in supermercados in little tubs, but a Spanish friend of mine said that there was no need to buy it, as one could make one's own--- perhaps if one has a kitchen handy! Even so, it's not that difficult, as others have noted. Spain is a chickpeamaniac's paradise, with heritage brands and varieties often available in shops, and a cocido de garbanzos is often on my table (usually with chicken, but vegan versions easily produced).

Pam Scott

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Santiago compostella 2015
weirdly specific i know. i just really love hummus
I love it too. But have never thought to buy it in Spain because of its shelf life, once opened and having to stay in my rucksack all day. Not sure if personally, I could consume a whole pot in a day or two? Hope you do well on your search. Buen Camino

p_mci

Camino(s) past & future
Francés, Inglés, Portugués (2014) Norte, Primitivo (2015) Vía de la Plata (2017) Mozárabe (2018)

This hummus/crackers combo from Mercadona is good. I always grab a couple of packs when I see them. images.jpeg

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021"
Would LOVE to contribute to any communal pilgrim meal by making my own 'special recipe' hummus but I think everyone will yell at me if I decide to bring my 9-cup food processor :eek::)

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I love it too. But have never thought to buy it in Spain because of its shelf life, once opened and having to stay in my rucksack all day. Not sure if personally, I could consume a whole pot in a day or two? Hope you do well on your search. Buen Camino
Hummus not only goes off quickly, once opened it turns into glue - any amount of olive oil or water are of no avail. Eat it all or don't buy it. PS Supermarket humus world round is not hummus - the producers add preservatives and other crap to hold the emulsion fresh or don't. Maybe try a kebab place - they will sell it to go and it's probably the real stuff.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future

Peter Fransiscus

Do more than just exist.
Camino(s) past & future
All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
Ingredients
  1. 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed.
  2. 1 clove garlic.
  3. 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus more for serving.
  4. 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
  5. 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste; optional)
  6. 1 teaspoon ground cumin.
  7. kosher salt.
  8. 1/4 teaspoon paprika.
Enjoy . 🙏

CWBuff

Camino(s) past & future
in Planning stage: Frances (SJPdP --> SdC) & Finisterre "2021"
Hummus not only goes off quickly, once opened it turns into glue - any amount of olive oil or water are of no avail. Eat it all or don't buy it.
Mine lasts about 3-4 days (OK in the fridge :)). However I do believe that if I did somehow wade it - the survival rate would be less than 1 hour with everyone present in the dining room 😁
Seriously, room temperature - it usually survives 6 hours. Not sure how commercially-made ones stack-up.

rorygilmore

Camino(s) past & future
i never thought of making it without a food processor! thanks guys!

entire tub of hummus and a bunch of carrot sticks and maybe a boiled egg on the side has gotta be my fave lunch on the go :)

rorygilmore

Camino(s) past & future
Oh, how I wish hummus were more readily available on the Camino! It's the perfect vegan picnic food. I did find it a few times along the way, but definitely not in every supermarket. Will you be doing the Camino Francés? If so, here are the places where I found hummus along the route in 2017 (as a food/travel blogger I keep detailed notes of what I eat):

Pamplona - Raíces restaurant and a shop called La Despensica
Logroño - Begin Vegan shop
Nájera - Eroski supermarket
Burgos - Viva la Pepa restaurant
San Nicolás Real Camino - the 2nd bar has it (look for the signs saying they have veggie food)
Hospital de Orbigo - Albergue Verde
Foncebadón - Albergue Monte Irago
Las Herrerías - Miriam's Hostel
A Balsa - El Beso hostel
Santiago - TS A Casa

I can also tell you where to find hummus on the Camino Primitivo in case you're interested :)

As others have said, canned chickpeas are widely available, so you could also make your own, but you would need to bring tahini or go without.
This is awesome, thanks Wendy! I am doing the Frances, yup. Checking out your blog now- I'm not vegan but like to eat a lotta veges so am a little apprehensive about the pilgrim diet :)

pjacobi

Camino(s) past & future
2015, St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos
2016, Burgos to Ponferrada
2017, Ponferrada to Atlantic Ocean
When in Rome, eat like the Romans.
When in Spain...

-Paul

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Carrefour, a supermarket chain in France and Spain (and elsewhere), will also have hummus and tahini. Their stores are a bit fewer and farther between than are Mercadona and Eroski, but if you're in a larger city you can look to see if there's a Carrefour and check it out.
Buen Camino!

Wendy Werneth

Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés from St Jean Pied de Port (2017)
Camino Primitivo (2018)
Camino de Madrid (2019)
This is awesome, thanks Wendy! I am doing the Frances, yup. Checking out your blog now- I'm not vegan but like to eat a lotta veges so am a little apprehensive about the pilgrim diet :)
Hopefully, you found my 6 Tips for Eating Vegan on the Camino de Santiago post!

I found the Camino Francés to be much more veggie-friendly than I had expected, especially the closer you get to Santiago. That said, I've heard a lot of complaints, from vegans and vegetarians but also from meat eaters who were missing vegetables on the Camino.

The vegetables are there; you just have to ask for them! A lot of places in Spain can do a parrillada de verduras (platter of grilled vegetables), even if it's not on the menu.

Buen camino!

erith long

Camino(s) past & future
Camin0 Frances (2004, 2008), Camino Portugues (2010), Camino del Norte (2012) Via de la Plata planing April92014), CaminoiPortugues (2015.)
Mind you, I am not positive 100%, but those supermercados are quite well stocked with a wide variety of foods and such.
Tip...bring your own bag/pack when you shop in the supermercados. You save a few euros on not having to pay for a bag and it is better for the environment.
the bags cost 3 cents, 5 tops.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
the bags cost 3 cents, 5 tops.
Yes, they are inexpensive and would certainly not break me whilst on the Camino and force me to be eating gruel in a halfway house, but more than anything the damn things are an environmental disaster. Everywhere, just like their equally disastrous cousins the plastic water/soda/whatever bottle. I want to partake in their use to the utmost minimum as difficult as that is at times, and maybe by doing so I just fooling myself, but I do feel a wee bit better, anyway.
Recently a deep sea submersible exploring the Marianas Trench, the deepest known part of the ocean, observed a plastic shopping bag on the sea floor there. That is truly sad.

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 237 24.9%