• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

is hummus readily available at supermarkets in spain?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thankyou! big chickpea enthusiast over here.
Mind you, I am not positive 100%, but those supermercados are quite well stocked with a wide variety of foods and such.
Tip...bring your own bag/pack when you shop in the supermercados. You save a few euros on not having to pay for a bag and it is better for the environment.

yup! i live in germany so i've got a handy little shopping bag that fits into its own tiny pocket ready to go :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hummus is mainly mashed chickpeas, babyfood really, plus some extras. bring a real fork instead of a spork, and a small jar of tahini.

We eat hummus AND routinely shopped markets in Spain during our CF in 2018, but neither of us recall seeing hummus. Doesn’t mean it DOESN’T exist but I’m pretty sure we would have picked it up had we come across it. Most of the CF towns have tiny markets, so even if it’s available in large cities, you really won’t be in those much.

Oddly enough, 100% pineapple juice IS widely available! 🤔. And of course, fresh-squeezed OJ machines in nearly every bar....

No worries - there may not be the processed stuff for sale, but hummus is so easy to make.

Take the juice of a lemon and mix it with tahini (an espresso-cup sized amount, about 1/4 c).
Salt, then a little garlic or cumin if you like them.
Smash a tin of garbanzoes up with all that...a drizzle of olive oil if you like.
Voila.
A food processor is best but on the camino a fork will have to do.
It'll still taste great.
There are garbanzos for sale in tiendas all along the camino. And lemons. You may need to bring the tahini.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I live n Spain and eat a lot of hummus, although I mostly make it myself. You will find jars of chickpeas in even the smallest village shops, but hummus is less available. Large supermarkets will sell it. Mercadona and Eroski definitely. Lidl and Aldi most probably. Supersol I would think so.
Tahini is not so easy to find, but available in health food shops.

No worries - there may not be the processed stuff for sale, but hummus is so easy to make.

Take the juice of a lemon and mix it with tahini (an espresso-cup sized amount, about 1/4 c).
Salt, then a little garlic or cumin if you like them.
Smash a tin of garbanzoes up with all that...a drizzle of olive oil if you like.
Voila.
A food processor is best but on the camino a fork will have to do.
It'll still taste great.
There are garbanzos for sale in tiendas all along the camino. And lemons. You may need to bring the tahini.
Using a fork will create our own Jerusalem style houmus a bit lumpy - I don't recall many blenders in the albergues so try this instead: pour a can of chickpeas with the juice - don't loose those vitamins and minerals - into a pot and heat them up, mash up in anyway you can about half of them into a gloopy soup/sauce add the remaining whole chickpeas add lots of tahini and you have 'masbaha' - a Palestinian/Lebanese/Syrian/Israeli dish served warm but not hot - a true comfort food!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is not so common here, but Mercadona has it. And you can buy jars of chickpeas everywhere.

Oh, how I wish hummus were more readily available on the Camino! It's the perfect vegan picnic food. I did find it a few times along the way, but definitely not in every supermarket. Will you be doing the Camino Francés? If so, here are the places where I found hummus along the route in 2017 (as a food/travel blogger I keep detailed notes of what I eat):

Pamplona - Raíces restaurant and a shop called La Despensica
Logroño - Begin Vegan shop
Nájera - Eroski supermarket
Burgos - Viva la Pepa restaurant
San Nicolás Real Camino - the 2nd bar has it (look for the signs saying they have veggie food)
Hospital de Orbigo - Albergue Verde
Foncebadón - Albergue Monte Irago
Las Herrerías - Miriam's Hostel
A Balsa - El Beso hostel
Santiago - TS A Casa

I can also tell you where to find hummus on the Camino Primitivo in case you're interested :)

As others have said, canned chickpeas are widely available, so you could also make your own, but you would need to bring tahini or go without.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've several times seen it in supermercados in little tubs, but a Spanish friend of mine said that there was no need to buy it, as one could make one's own--- perhaps if one has a kitchen handy! Even so, it's not that difficult, as others have noted. Spain is a chickpeamaniac's paradise, with heritage brands and varieties often available in shops, and a cocido de garbanzos is often on my table (usually with chicken, but vegan versions easily produced).

weirdly specific i know. i just really love hummus
I love it too. But have never thought to buy it in Spain because of its shelf life, once opened and having to stay in my rucksack all day. Not sure if personally, I could consume a whole pot in a day or two? Hope you do well on your search. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

This hummus/crackers combo from Mercadona is good. I always grab a couple of packs when I see them. images.jpeg

I bought hummus at a “health food” store in Logrono but seriously I had the BEST hummus ever at Albergue Rosalia in Castrojeriz.

Would LOVE to contribute to any communal pilgrim meal by making my own 'special recipe' hummus but I think everyone will yell at me if I decide to bring my 9-cup food processor :eek::)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I love it too. But have never thought to buy it in Spain because of its shelf life, once opened and having to stay in my rucksack all day. Not sure if personally, I could consume a whole pot in a day or two? Hope you do well on your search. Buen Camino
Hummus not only goes off quickly, once opened it turns into glue - any amount of olive oil or water are of no avail. Eat it all or don't buy it. PS Supermarket humus world round is not hummus - the producers add preservatives and other crap to hold the emulsion fresh or don't. Maybe try a kebab place - they will sell it to go and it's probably the real stuff.

Ingredients
  1. 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed.
  2. 1 clove garlic.
  3. 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus more for serving.
  4. 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
  5. 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste; optional)
  6. 1 teaspoon ground cumin.
  7. kosher salt.
  8. 1/4 teaspoon paprika.
Enjoy . 🙏

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hummus not only goes off quickly, once opened it turns into glue - any amount of olive oil or water are of no avail. Eat it all or don't buy it.
Mine lasts about 3-4 days (OK in the fridge :)). However I do believe that if I did somehow wade it - the survival rate would be less than 1 hour with everyone present in the dining room 😁
Seriously, room temperature - it usually survives 6 hours. Not sure how commercially-made ones stack-up.

i never thought of making it without a food processor! thanks guys!

entire tub of hummus and a bunch of carrot sticks and maybe a boiled egg on the side has gotta be my fave lunch on the go :)

Oh, how I wish hummus were more readily available on the Camino! It's the perfect vegan picnic food. I did find it a few times along the way, but definitely not in every supermarket. Will you be doing the Camino Francés? If so, here are the places where I found hummus along the route in 2017 (as a food/travel blogger I keep detailed notes of what I eat):

Pamplona - Raíces restaurant and a shop called La Despensica
Logroño - Begin Vegan shop
Nájera - Eroski supermarket
Burgos - Viva la Pepa restaurant
San Nicolás Real Camino - the 2nd bar has it (look for the signs saying they have veggie food)
Hospital de Orbigo - Albergue Verde
Foncebadón - Albergue Monte Irago
Las Herrerías - Miriam's Hostel
A Balsa - El Beso hostel
Santiago - TS A Casa

I can also tell you where to find hummus on the Camino Primitivo in case you're interested :)

As others have said, canned chickpeas are widely available, so you could also make your own, but you would need to bring tahini or go without.

This is awesome, thanks Wendy! I am doing the Frances, yup. Checking out your blog now- I'm not vegan but like to eat a lotta veges so am a little apprehensive about the pilgrim diet :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When in Rome, eat like the Romans.
When in Spain...

-Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Carrefour, a supermarket chain in France and Spain (and elsewhere), will also have hummus and tahini. Their stores are a bit fewer and farther between than are Mercadona and Eroski, but if you're in a larger city you can look to see if there's a Carrefour and check it out.
Buen Camino!

This is awesome, thanks Wendy! I am doing the Frances, yup. Checking out your blog now- I'm not vegan but like to eat a lotta veges so am a little apprehensive about the pilgrim diet :)

Hopefully, you found my 6 Tips for Eating Vegan on the Camino de Santiago post!

I found the Camino Francés to be much more veggie-friendly than I had expected, especially the closer you get to Santiago. That said, I've heard a lot of complaints, from vegans and vegetarians but also from meat eaters who were missing vegetables on the Camino.

The vegetables are there; you just have to ask for them! A lot of places in Spain can do a parrillada de verduras (platter of grilled vegetables), even if it's not on the menu.

Buen camino!

Mind you, I am not positive 100%, but those supermercados are quite well stocked with a wide variety of foods and such.
Tip...bring your own bag/pack when you shop in the supermercados. You save a few euros on not having to pay for a bag and it is better for the environment.
the bags cost 3 cents, 5 tops.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the bags cost 3 cents, 5 tops.
Yes, they are inexpensive and would certainly not break me whilst on the Camino and force me to be eating gruel in a halfway house, but more than anything the damn things are an environmental disaster. Everywhere, just like their equally disastrous cousins the plastic water/soda/whatever bottle. I want to partake in their use to the utmost minimum as difficult as that is at times, and maybe by doing so I just fooling myself, but I do feel a wee bit better, anyway.
Recently a deep sea submersible exploring the Marianas Trench, the deepest known part of the ocean, observed a plastic shopping bag on the sea floor there. That is truly sad.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back