• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it a pilgrimage, or a race?

Paintboy2

Time of past OR future Camino
Three months to go before our first Camino. While I am mostly ready I am very curious about accommodations. I don't want to over plan, in favor of the spontaneity of the Camino and yet, two 60 year old bad knees have me wondering how hard it will be to find accommodation in early/mid July on the PC between Porto and SdC. I have read in a few places that one of the big deals in the summer is to get going very early in order to score a bed at the next stop. I can rent hotels and make reservations but that seems to short circuit some great Camino experiences. What do some of you think about this? Should I just not worry about it and see what happens? Thanks for your advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Three months to go before our first Camino. While I am mostly ready I am very curious about accommodations. I don't want to over plan, in favor of the spontaneity of the Camino and yet, two 60 year old bad knees have me wondering how hard it will be to find accommodation in early/mid July on the PC between Porto and SdC. I have read in a few places that one of the big deals in the summer is to get going very early in order to score a bed at the next stop. I can rent hotels and make reservations but that seems to short circuit some great Camino experiences. What do some of you think about this? Should I just not worry about it and see what happens? Thanks for your advice.

Hi, Paintboy,
Welcome to the forum.

I agree completely with Kanga. I have walked the Camino Portugues, and it's true that the last few days in Spain can be crowded. But since you note that you have the means to stay in hotels and pensiones when necessary, I absolutely wouldn't worry about it. What fills up quickly are the low-cost albergues. I don't think you'll have any problem at all. Bom Caminho, Laurie

Hi, Paintboy,
Welcome to the forum.

I agree completely with Kanga. I have walked the Camino Portugues, and it's true that the last few days in Spain can be crowded. But since you note that you have the means to stay in hotels and pensiones when necessary, I absolutely wouldn't worry about it. What fills up quickly are the low-cost albergues. I don't think you'll have any problem at all. Bom Caminho, Laurie
Thanks Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Portuguese Coastal last July...there crowds are nothing like the Camino France's. The last 100km after Tui can become more crowded but not to the point that you need be concerned.

I stayed on the coast to Vigo and then met the interior after Tui.
The Portuguese route is a great Camino. You will enjoy your adventure.
Don't fret or worry about accommodation...it will just happen for you.

Sleep, walk, eat, sleep....do it again and again...

I walked the Portuguese Coastal last July...there crowds are nothing like the Camino France's. The last 100km after Tui can become more crowded but not to the point that you need be concerned.

I stayed on the coast to Vigo and then met the interior after Tui.
The Portuguese route is a great Camino. You will enjoy your adventure.
Don't fret or worry about accommodation...it will just happen for you.

Sleep, walk, eat, sleep....do it again and again...
Hello Grayland,
we walked the same Camino in 2013, at the same time (August 2013). I almost collapsed on day 2 climbing to El Mirador del Calvario. Really a difficult (the worst ever of my Caminos) moment. And yes, days at 44 / 45 degrees temperature...

You are so right, my Apostol never let me sleep outdoors, I have always found a place to stay, sometimes real unexpected gifts event in the loneliest places.

Kind Regards

Sorry to hear that you had a difficult day, Julio.

Actually, I found the route to be, by far, the easiest Camino I have done.
Very flat and next to the actual beach for most of the way...on new boardwalks for long stretches.

I had 50+ tempetures in August on the Via de la Plata...but the tempetures was very moderate in July last year. Shorts and tee-shirt, silk sleep sac...easy going.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Very flat and next to the actual beach for most of the way...on new boardwalks for long stretches.

I had 50+ tempetures in August on the Via de la Plata...but the tempetures was very moderate in July last year. Shorts and tee-shirt, silk sleep sac...easy going.
Hi again Grayland, I walked Via de la Plata in 2013, hence my comment was on this one ! I understand that Camino Portugues Coastal route is probably extremely pleasant...
Now the choice is more and more limited for totally new explorations, I have booked my 2016 edition, and have also a motivating plan for 2017. In 2018 Camino Portuguese will come on my list probably...
Amigo del Camino, all the best,
Julio Santiago

On the Frances last year I only had it one day but that was also partially my fault as I started late and decided to blow by where I had planned to stop in Estrella and wanted to push up into the mountains. At villamayor de monjardin I arrived at 2 PM and the 3 Hostels were all full. They said I had to go back or go forward. Turns out nothing past until Los Arcos, which was something like 14 KMs on in nothing but fields. Did near 50 KMs that day but it worked out okay.

Has anyone experiences about the Camino Primitivo in September? I dont want to book anything and I was told I don´t have to.
Is this correct?

Thanks and buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Has anyone experiences about the Camino Primitivo in September? I dont want to book anything and I was told I don´t have to.
Is this correct?

Thanks and buen camino
I walked the Primitivo once in September with no reservations, but that was before its burst in popularity. I hope to walk it again in late June/July and don't plan to reserve. Nearly all the places I will stay are albergues (either municipal or donativo) and they don't take reservations anyway. I wouldn't worry. Buen camino, Laurie

I walked it last year in June (2015). There were lots of Pilgrims and the albergues were pretty full at times. I don't recall that any were completo or turned anyone away. June is often similar to September on most routes.
Just let it happen. You will always find a place to sleep...worry about a place to sleep will keep you awake!:)

I walked the Portuguese last August. In Portugal I had no issues as all with finding lodging. Once you pass Tui the number of pilgrims jumps up pretty sharply (Tui is just over the 100 k mark for a Compostela). It was not a big issue for me. One afternoon I had to walk to the next village. Another night I was got the last bunk, save 1. But everywhere along the Portuguese in Spain are pretty good sized towns and there are inexpensive hotels available. I might mention that the one day I had to walk on was lucky for me. Instead of the municipal in Rodondela I stayed at the lovely Refugio de la Jerezana in Cesantes and met several really neat people. Part of the Camino experience is serendipity, at least for me.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is this correct?

Thanks and buen camino
Book Berducedos or you will have to walk to La Mesa and have to bring all your food with you. Filled up quickly last May. Even the rooms at tne hotel.

I walked the Portuguese in Sept Oct 2014. Albergues, hostels, pensions, hotels, B & Bs at all stops on the Portuguese route and of course Casa Fernande. You will have no problems finds a place to stay. Use the information centers. They can be very helpful. Buen Camino

Booked my bed at Casa Fernanda for the middle of May this morning and from the reaction I got on the phone I doubt I was the first one to book. Glad I did as I planned my stages according to depature date and wanting to spend a night there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Don't worry, the race only concerns people who want the best beds.... and the camino Frances .....
but there is room for everyone, and so many very lonely caminos for those who don't want to be close to the race...

Don't worry, the race only concerns people who want the best beds.... and the camino Frances .....
but there is room for everyone, and so many very lonely aminos for those who don't want to be close to the race...
So true Barbara, just escaping the Pilgrims (?) motorways and everything is way easier. Assuming that we are prepared to walk long hours all day long...
Amiga del Camino, all the best,
Julio Santiago

I'm hiking the coastal route in May and can let you know. We are staying mostly in hotels. You can write me at .......for itinerary. we plan on about 15 miles per day for 11 straight walking days. Gary

Edited by moderator to remove email address. The Administer has requested that for your internet security, please use the private message function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I t
....SNIP....."I can rent hotels and make reservations but that seems to short circuit some great Camino experiences. What do some of you think about this? Should I just not worry about it and see what happens? Thanks for your advice.

I think you have answered your own questions!

Make your first nights reservation and then let it happen. Making reservations or over planning can make your Camino very rigid.
Spontaneity is lost when you are locked into a daily schedule due to pre- booked accommodations
You will meet other people and will want the ability to stay in the same places and villages.
Keep it loose and enjoy your adventure. You can always find an albergue or other accommodation!

Very interested in your comment as we are planning to walk starting from Baiona and are keen to "hug the coast"as much as possible.
We chose the route because it seemed to be flatter and we are unable to manage too many contours! Did you find there was still a pilgrim ethos on that route and plenty of places to collect your passport stamps each day.

Very interested in your comment as we are planning to walk starting from Baiona and are keen to "hug the coast"as much as possible.
We chose the route because it seemed to be flatter and we are unable to manage too many contours! Did you find there was still a pilgrim ethos on that route and plenty of places to collect your passport stamps each day.

The pilgrim atmosphere was the same as the other routes. The way was very well marked. Stamps can be collected at every albergue, bar, restaurant, and tourist office...just like the other routes.

There is a guide available.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back