• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Is it all hills??

Eddiebee

Eddiebee
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPDP to SDC May & June 2017
I'm only 4 days in so things should improve as in gain strength, but the long hills both up and down walking on loose stones of varying sizes, have about killed my feet and ankles. The most enjoyable walk so far was the walk beside a river before Pamplona. That was great. Have not had a bad meal or a bad glass of wine. Who knew wine could be so cheap and so good. I am spending more money to dry my clothes than for a bed. Well maybe not I ran the dryer 2 times last night for a total of 6 euro and it cost 10 for the bed. For 6 euro I could get two bottles of good wine. I am having the time of my life. Buen Camino. Ed

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The short answer to your question is, that with the exception of the fat bits, it is all hills, but then the camino, like life has it's ups and downs, however if you drink enough of the vino callapso you do not notice them. Have a great experience.

I'm only 4 days in so things should improve as in gain strength, but the long hills both up and down walking on loose stones of varying sizes, have about killed my feet and ankles. The most enjoyable walk so far was the walk beside a river before Pamplona. That was great. Have not had a bad meal or a bad glass of wine. Who knew wine could be so cheap and so good. I am spending more money to dry my clothes than for a bed. Well maybe not I ran the dryer 2 times last night for a total of 6 euro and it cost 10 for the bed. For 6 euro I could get two bottles of good wine. I am having the time of my life. Buen Camino. Ed
:) Enjoy the wine! In a short while you'll enter the Rioja district, and the wine will seriously improve! :)

No, the CF is easy. A few big climbs, but you'll take them by using some time. Take a vino/beer break! :)

Enjoy!
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
;) There were times in my Camino when I thought to myself "I took vacation for this?". The first 5 miles up to Orrison from SJPP on a 90+ degree day almost wiped me out! The challenges are part of what makes the Camino an awesome experience. It's not easy, you will have days where you feel like a superman and the walk will feel easy, however the next day is quite hard and a humbling experience. In the end it takes you out of your comfort zone and that is how we grow as human beings.

THE WINE! I totally agree, the best wine I have ever had, and for a shockingly low price! I'm mainly a beer drinker here in the states, however I am mostly a wine drinker when I am on the Camino:)

Enjoy the rest of your Camino.

Last edited:
Two things to keep in mind.

The first is, you have just crossed the Pyrenees (for the first time) and you will get a bit of a break from the really big climbs for a few weeks. The condition of the trail varies from day to day, and across the meseta, its really very good. You're not done though, there are more patches with rocky climbs in your future, but no, its not all like that.

The second is your conditioning. The first few days really challenge some pilgrims particularly those who are older, and those that did limited training. Take your time, and don't break anything. The body will respond. As the days go by, you will get stronger and stronger. It will never be easy, but it will get far less unbearable.

On a final note, the weather will improve. Then it will get worse. Then it will improve again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Buen Camino!

I love your attitude!
"Oh it's hard mountain walking!"
"Oh my clothes are so wet!"
"I'm having the time of my life!"
And that, dear ones, is how you explain the Camino (but don't tell Everyone about the wine)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It sounds like you're having a great time! If the ups and downs of the terrain are troubling you, slow down for a couple of days, and take the time to explore the wine (but not too much!)

It does take a little while for the body to catch up with the mind's desires, in terms of covering the distances and the hills, but you'll get there. It really does sound like you're enjoying it. I am envious!

The hills will get you in great condition and in a week or two when the map says " difficult hill section tomorrow " you will think after the climb " that wasn't difficult ! :cool:

Your condition will improve markedly .

How I miss those days now I have been back at work 6 months .... Camino is on my mind constantly ! ..... I use it in all my computer passwords at work :D...helps me to remember what is important

Ultreia !

Eddie, congrats and Buen Camino!

I left St Jean 17 days ago, and am now in Burgos. Those hills are still fresh in my mind-- and that wonderful river stretch you mentioned.

I didn't see in your post whether you're using walking sticks. I recommend them highly, as others did for me.

Here are three places ahead of you where these made a HUGE difference...
  • the very rough descent off Alta del Perdón, after Pamplona
  • a steep descent from Villamayor de Montjardín
  • the big up and down day between Los Arco and Viana
The stretch from Burgos to León is supposed to be pretty flat. I'm sure I'll be thankful for my sticks again after that.

Buen Camino, keep having fun!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I left St Jean 17 days ago, and am now in Burgos. Those hills are still fresh in my mind-- and that wonderful river stretch you mentioned.

I didn't see in your post whether you're using walking sticks. I recommend them highly, as others did for me.

The stretch from Burgos to León is supposed to be pretty flat. I'm sure I'll be thankful for my sticks again after that.

It sounds like that you will LOVE the Meseta from Burgos and some 9 days flat ahead. Just be aware to call it a day in Castrojeriz, 2nd day after Burgos: The hill just beyond Castrojeriz is called the Mata Burros (Mule Killer) and is best done in the cool morning, not in the heat of the afternoon...:);) After that, it is flat walking for a week. Great place for reflections: Probably one of the best parts of the Camino! :)

PS: I notice you use walking poles: It is always a very good advice to use rubber, also with your walking poles: Let other pilgrims walk in peace and solitude...;)

;) There were times in my Camino when I thought to myself "I took for vacation for this?". The first 5 miles up to Orrison from SJPP on a 90+ degree day almost wiped me out! The challenges are part of what makes the Camino an awesome experience. It's not easy, you will have days where you feel like a superman and the walk will feel easy, however the next day is quite hard and a humbling experience. In the end it takes you out of your comfort zone and that is how we grow as human beings.

THE WINE! I totally agree, the best wine I have ever had, and for a shockingly low price! I'm mainly a beer drinker here in the states, however I am mostly a wine drinker when I am on the Camino:)

Enjoy the rest of your Camino.
I would drink more beer too if I lived in Madison lol
Great Dane pub, Karben?
( my son lives in Madison )
If Spain is lacking one thing, it's beer.
But the wine more than makes up for it

That's the downside of every river. You have to go down to get to it and then up to get away from it. It's not all hills but the first part if probably the worst (worst condition and pretty bad hills). It gets better in two ways: you get conditioned so you don't mind it so much, and you meet some people along the way that you can talk as you walk which also helps pass the time.

Think of it this way also. What could you be doing that would burn up so many calories that it really doesn't matter what you eat and drink (as long as you don't drink too much of the wine). As someone else pointed out, you're almost to Rioja where the wine gets really good.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

How is your Camino going? I remember your post when you were trying to decide whether to go and were concerned about conditioning. I'm so happy to see you've made it to Burgos. Buen Camino!

Speaking of beer and wine, which causes you fat more? Are they both equal opportunity offenders?
After walking a month from Santander to do Camino Primitivo, I expected to lose serious amount of weight, but I haven't. I think it is all those beer and wine after the hard walk (hard climbs ) made up my energy used that day. Well, I guess I can't complain because at least I felt good after a hard day's walk.

I am at Villamayor now. My knee is sore so I will definitely use sticks tomorrow. Please tell me that the steep descent is not loose stones!!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Eddie,
Post some pictures for us! Share your joy!
And the descent is not loose stones. (this is a lie.)

The Spanish beer is really good and refreshing. Not like most US beers: Remember that famous saying by the Monty Python gang? "Drinking American beer is like making love in a canoo: Fuc.ing close to water!" ;):)
You would be absolutely correct, if the year was 1990 lol
America now has over 5000 breweries, many of them brewpubs that make the beer right on the premises.
I would think we have the best & largest selection of beer in the world right now.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You would be absolutely correct, if the year was 1990 lol
America now has over 5000 breweries, many of them brewpubs that make the beer right on the premises.
I would think we have the best & largest selection of beer in the world right now.
Very good to hear. The last time in US (No doubt, some years ago), only Sam. Adams was drinkable! ;)

Have you ever noticed the price of Budweiser beer in the stores? It costs as much as other imports. Obviously someone buys, or they would not waste store shelves.
I like Galicia Estellas given a choice, but San Miguel and Mahou are excellent too.

Very good to hear. The last time in US (No doubt, some years ago), only Sam. Adams was drinkable! ;)
Yes Sam Adams was one of the leaders towards small breweries that make good beer. I thought I died & went to heaven when it first came out. I'm lucky that I live close to NYC. I can even find cask conditioned ales
without much problem

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The hills will get you in great condition and in a week or two when the map says " difficult hill section tomorrow " you will think after the climb " that wasn't difficult ! :cool:

Your condition will improve markedly .

How I miss those days now I have been back at work 6 months .... Camino is on my mind constantly ! ..... I use it in all my computer passwords at work :D...helps me to remember what is important

Ultreia !
Me too Annie! Camino18 or Camino19, all the time dreaming of going back and which route I'm going to take. I've completely forgiven the overweight pack and the blisters and long to return. I must, however, keep reminding myself that I DO NOT have it all figured out so the next time will be EASY! What a trap that would be to fall in to!

Me too Annie! Camino18 or Camino19, all the time dreaming of going back and which route I'm going to take. I've completely forgiven the overweight pack and the blisters and long to return. I must, however, keep reminding myself that I DO NOT have it all figured out so the next time will be EASY! What a trap that would be to fall in to!

:D Yes it's a bit like childbirth ... pain is in time replaced by euphoria :eek:....

Expect it to get a lot easier. Hills out of SJPP and into Roncesvalles plus the downhill into Zubiri were the worst of the Camino as far as I'm concerned.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Speaking of beer and wine, which causes you fat more? Are they both equal opportunity offenders?
After walking a month from Santander to do Camino Primitivo, I expected to lose serious amount of weight, but I haven't. I think it is all those beer and wine after the hard walk (hard climbs ) made up my energy used that day. Well, I guess I can't complain because at least I felt good after a hard day's walk.

Beer. But the Spanish bread doesn't help either!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back