• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it best to book through an agent or is it easy to organize myself as I go along?

Sharls

Time of past OR future Camino
Thinking of doing my 1st Camino de Santiago next year, starting late April beginning of May. Is it better to book through an agent who organizes everything or do it on my own
Hi,
Want to know if it's best to book through an agent, thinking of doing the Camino de Santiago next May. Also if there is anyone who lives in Melbourne Australia thinking of walking next May would love to chat

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi,
Want to know if it's best to book through an agent, thinking of doing the Camino de Santiago next May. Also if there is anyone who lives in Melbourne Australia thinking of walking next May would love to chat

Sharls,

Welcome to the Forum!

You will find a wealth of information here to help you plan your camino.
Be sure to check out this Forum thread regarding Australian and New Zealand members to see what's currently going on 'down under'.

Many pilgrims simply choose which camino they wish to follow, book their own transport to where they will begin and follow the arrows day by day as they walk the route. Scan the Camino Resources section for some helpful guides re planning your camino.

Read a pilgrim blog or two to get a more personal idea of what it's all about.

As time goes on ask lots of questions here. We past pilgrims who are Forum members are always eager to share our experiences and advice. Such sharing is part of the camino spirit as it helps keep our past memories anew.

Happy planning,

Margaret Meredith

Welcome to the forum Sharls,
As mspath says, check out the forum loads of info. IMO I would just make my way to St. Jean and just walk from there. It will be much cheaper than using an agent as you will be paying them for what you can do yourself.
Your Camino starts at the planning stage.
Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you, just feeling a little nervous!!!

Hi,
Nothing wrong with using an agent if you're looking for peace of mind and a bit more comfort, I wouldn't feel bad. That said, this forum has more than enough info to help you prepare on your own.
Best of luck
Jeff

Welcome to the Forum Sharls, There you go...suggestions and encouragement already abound from Forum members across the planet. Continue your Camino knowing that once you take that first step the Camino is just starting to become a life long passion.
Buen Camino,

Arn

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I know I'm getting excited, need to get stuck into the training!

It can seem a bit overwhelming. I used an agent for the international flights/insurance just in case they had access to better prices....they did but not by much.
Everything else I just did on-line. Did a fair bit of reading here as well.

This depends on many factors (and decisions):
* Where are you walking? Reservations are a must in France, but not in Spain.
* If it is the Camino Frances, as I suppose, May is the beginning of the unofficial “Camino season”. Especially over the end, it may be quite crowded.
* How adventurous do you feel? Or do you like the idea of having everything planned and arranged beforehand? Some people think a fixed schedule gives them peace of mind. Others enjoy the feeling of freedom, deciding on the spot the village and place where they stop. It is up to you...
* What kind of lodging are you looking for? Municipal and parochial albergues (that is, the traditional communal dorms) don’t accept reservations. Many private albergues and hostals have small margen profits, so they are not available through agencies (which are, I guess, more expensive). On the other side, there are many comfortable hostals and little hotels (catering to general public) on the way, which can be reserved by phone or even online.
* Take it easy. It is not like crossing solo the Himalayas. It is not especially difficult (except the stage SJPP-Roncesvalles), there will be lots of walkers (including many English speakers), the mood is warm and friendly, it is well signposted, paved roads and big cities are never too far, and there many commercial services offered.
Buen camino!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
One more welcome. Actually you have already taken the first and biggest step - deciding to come. Note I said come even though I live in England because for many of us no matter where wherever we live our hearts are always on the Camino. There is some good, varied and balanced advice above. I fall into the don't don't use an agent to book accommodation camp. When planning give yourself some days in Santiago at the end, it enables you to meet others you have met and lost along the way. I personally feel it easier to be able to decide where to stop tomorrow and also being open to changing that on the day depending on the friends/weather/how you feel (blisters etc.) I don't know when in May you are starting out but just to get the ball rolling (and everyone and his dog have an opinion on this), I like to start around the 10th of May. That way I have reached Santiago before the Spanish holidays and so avoiding the crowding that can take place in the latter stages. At that time of May the weather can be variable than latter on but the winter will generally be over, so nothing too bad. Good luck with your research and question. Well done for getting this far. Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Welcome Sharis. In answer to the question, most people don't book through an agent, they just choose a place to start, bring a light backpack, and walk. There is nothing wrong with using a commercial operator but for the vast majority of us it is not necessary. Personally I could not afford to keep returning, as I do, if I used commercial operators.

Booking accommodation is a relatively new thing on the a Spanish caminos. Most municipal, parochial and religious albergues don't take bookings, some private commercial ones do. Alternative more expensive accommodation (casa rurals and hotels) will take bookings. If you are planning to walk a long distance, for example from Roncesvalles or St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, then it can be difficult to predict when you will reach places - and wise not to lock yourself into a timetable. We never know how our bodies will cope and what daily distances will suit us. Most of us also treasure being freed from the tyranny of "normal" life, and that includes timetables. If you have a mobile phone, then you can book a day or so ahead if you feel that is necessary - work it out as you go. It very much depends on when you are walking and what section - some times and places are busier than others.

As Margaret has said, there is a wealth on information on this forum. Enjoy it and consider it part of the training!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One of the distinctive features of the Camino experience, regardless of which segment you are walking, is the utter reversal of the "group tourism" paradigm. Instead of the tour leader being in charge, you're the one in charge. Instead of someone else, you're the one doing the research and planning and decision-making. Instead of a fixed group of fellow-travelers chosen by happenstance, you get to choose whom, how many, and when to socialize and make connections. Instead of a fixed and invariable itinerary and schedule, you choose where you will stay each night. Instead of three meals a day magically appearing in front of you at pre-announced times, you must make your own arrangements for food and water. Instead of being dependent on bus drivers and hotel porters, you carry your own luggage ... all day long (I realize there are some who use transport services - this is a general observation).

The Camino is a very different experience. It can be scary. It can be liberating. It can open doors. It can drive you nuts.

Welcome to the community of the road!

Kitsambler's perspective is a useful point for reflection and, to my mind, this may be the best reason to not use an operator (although it appears that some of the tour operators provide you with a lot of added value in terms of their historical and cultural knowledge, as well as in the usual arranging things ways). It is tempting for North Americans (and Antipodeans!), when facing a very different part of the world, with a different language, to think of letting someone else take care of things, but my many-Camino experience suggests that it's not necessary. It is shockingly easy to make reservations if you pick up a local telephone and learn two sentences of Spanish (or have them copied out in front of you); if you need pack transport, your innkeeper will usually arrange it. The only reservation I made from Canada was for my first night, so that a dazed transoceanic traveller need not worry about finding a place and where, if need be, a delayed pack could be delivered by the airline (useful on two occasions).

If you haven't already, you might find it helpful to chat with a few pilgrim vets in your neighbourhood, as this is likely the best way of figuring out how it will actually go.

Hi,

Hello Sharls,
Perhaps your greatest feeling of happiness at the end of your Camino can come from planning, walking and completing it without using an agent?

I started walking the CF in the last week of May this year. There were some Aussies (lovely folks) and I wouldn't be surprised if there were more for you hook up with walk. Did you know there are Pilgrim Groups in Oz? Can I suggest you 'Search Forum' at the top of the page and you'll find them.

Even if there are no Aussies for you to hook up with I'm confident in saying the other folks you meet will quickly feel like a family.

Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sharis,
Much wisdom in what has been shared above. I went on my first Camino 2 years ago with friends, one of whom really wanted us to book an agent. We opted not to for budget purposes. Once we started the Camino, we were glad not to have booked. We saw how everything came
together providentially. Once you are there, you will see how well things come together. Ultimately, we felt a great sense of accomplishment, not only that we were able to walk, but also that we trusted that what we needed in terms of companions, accomodations, and other needs, would be provided. The same will happen for you.
Buen Camino!

Instead of the tour leader being in charge, you're the one in charge. Instead of someone else, you're the one doing the research and planning and decision-making. Instead of a fixed group of fellow-travelers chosen by happenstance, you get to choose whom, how many, and when to socialize and make connections. Instead of a fixed and invariable itinerary and schedule, you choose where you will stay each night. Instead of three meals a day magically appearing in front of you at pre-announced times, you must make your own arrangements for food and water. Instead of being dependent on bus drivers and hotel porters, you carry your own luggage ... all day long
.....and you'll have had THE unforgettable experience of your life.
Don't worry too much!

Hi,

Like any vacation the same rules apply. I haven't done the Camino but will next year. But this experience is no different from any other retreat or vacation (in the sense of getting away).

I think the driver for choices would be as follows:

1) When not to use an agent - If you get your happiness from planning a trip, executing it without external assistance then don't use an agent. As stated in a lot of posts there are a lot of information sources and the camino economics seem to have a large number of available rooms. There are a lot of pilgrims and hence a lot of rooms. It's not providence, just simple economics that make this work. If you enjoy the DIY aspect then an agent is probably the wrong way to do.
2) When to use an agent - If you want eliminate the worry of where to stay each night, an agent can set that up and that can be the only compromise to the DIY approach. No judgement on which works. You are the traveler.
3) Baggage transfer - If you can carry a pack for the journey, great. You can save some money. If you can't for physical reasons, or just flat don't want to that's fine. The only penalty is a financial one.
4) Time commit-- If you have more time and can adjust the end point schedule, then the DIY works nicely. If things don't quite go right you can adjust without taking on some pressure of a time constraint.
5) Money constraint - The us of an agent and prebooking does increase the cost. From what I can tell, a pre booked room with baggage transfer costs about $75-$100 day over a pure pilgrim room and carry everything your self

Also, bear in mind that it doesn't matter what anybody thinks about how to do something. They are not the ones walking in your shoes. Do what's comfortable (both physical and mentally) for your style, pocketbook, and schedule and tell all the critics to jump! Some people prefer the challenge of taking it all on and going into the headwinds. Others prefer less hassle and more predictability to achieve their contemplative ends.

Like any vacation the same rules apply. I haven't done the Camino but will next year. But this experience is no different from any other retreat or vacation (in the sense of getting away).

Umm, actually I think it is a bit. Difficult to think of another "vacation" that involves walking 800 km.

Are you comparing it to a package tour? Maybe it does come in that flavour now.

I have no problem with anyone taking a luxury limousine driven Parador hopping tour of the Camino, but I don't think that is what the OP was suggesting.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you all for the great information, decision reached I will do it all myself no agent needed and I'm sure I will love every bit of it, I'm thinking of starting end of April so very excited

I use an agent for the open jaw international flight segments - I invariably find the agent I use can find better arrangements and prices than I can using the online booking engines. This includes any accommodation before I get to the start point or after I leave Santiago. Otherwise, I make my own arrangements to get to wherever I am starting and then back at the end, and obviously for the pilgrimage itself.

There are significant advantages in booking using an agent under these circumstances, particularly the notion that you will be on one ticket. Booking open jaw online invariably leaves you on separate tickets for the individual components of the trip if there a several legs using different carriers. There is then no one carrier responsible for getting you to your destination or home again. Insurers will not cover you for missed flights if you leave too little time between legs, etc, etc. I personally don't think its worth the hassle.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@John Sikora ....
I think that when you have actually walked your Camino you may find that your analysis is a bit different from your actual experience.

The many great posts we see here really just represent the opinions and perceptions of the members on this forum. We represent a fraction of 1% of the people you will encounter on the Camino. Most will never have heard of the forum.

Some of the advice offered here is from people who have not yet actually walked and is not from actual experience. I find I agree with some of this and disagree with others.

The Camino experience is made up with interaction with people from all across the world and varies from day to day. The attitudes and actions of people will vary greatly and will not always match those on this forum.

Many of the commenters above have addressed getting to and from France/Spain adequately. So, I will not address that. However, once you arrive there are differences of experience and opinion as regards what to do once you arrive in France or Spain.

After doing the Camino Frances, twice, from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago (May 2013, May 2014) I offer these insights:
  1. DO make a reservation at St. Jean Pied de Port so you KNOW you have a comfortable bed waiting for you. Many folks go right into albergues. Personally, I prefer to decompress, repack, do final shopping, and mail ahead some things, before I start my walk. Having a hotel reservation beats being shunted from albergue to albergue to try to find a room on your first night. I can recommend the Hotel Ramuntcho, Rue de France 1. It is not cheap, but it is centrally located and a wonderful way to start your pilgrimage.
  2. DO break the first day into two segments. The first 25 Km from St. Jean to Roncesvalles is brutal, as it is the most steep upward climb on the entire Camino. There are higher peaks you will climb to. However the angle or pitch is the most steep the first day. Many people make a reservation (online and pay via PayPal) at Refuge d'Orisson, 8 Km UP from St. Jean Pied de Port. This is an upmarket albergue with shared bunk rooms and family style dining. Dinner and breakfast (basic) is included with the nightly rate. They have the best views in the area from their deck across the road. This is a great way to start a Camino, especially if the weather is good. But YOU MUST make an advance reservation. It is a popular place. Here is their web site: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/ The second day is not nearly as bad as the first. The first third is uphill, the second third is more or less level, and the last third or so is downhill, either on a paved road or through the woods on a slippery trail. Most people stay at the Dutch volunteer-run albergue in the huge old seminary at Roncesvalles. I advise this, unless you want to stay in one of the small hotels adjacent.
  3. I have found that people, especially folks like me "of a certain age" tend to come down with bronchial / respiratory problems fast if I stay in albergues. It invariably develops in most folks over 40 after a week or two. This is not a fun way to spend your Camino. Both years, I developed a "chest-thing" after only two days. Cough syrup and decongestants cleared it up. The point is, consider staying in hostals, as opposed to albergues if you can afford it.
  4. Along the entire Camino, hostals, hotels, and private albergues can be booked online through www.booking.com. In Spain, a hostal is basically a one-star hotel. A hostel is an albergue. Every place I stayed was suitable to purpose - a single night's stay in a bed with clean sheets. For some odd reason, accommodations along the Camino Frances are very well represented in Booking.com. Just make sure the property is ON the Camio, not near the Camino. Prices range from €25 to €60, with an average of between €35 - €40 per night for a single. Yes, this sounds luxurious and expensive. But, the value of a solid night's sleep, with a locked door and private bathroom is priceless. Also, you can partner with someone else to share the room as a double. This reduces the per-person costs.
  5. I usually book three or four nights in advance, once I know my walking rate, physical condition, and the weather, making use of the free Wi-Fi available at many, many places along the Camino.
  6. For places not available on the web, or who have only e-mail addresses and phone numbers, I use Google Translate to compose a standard request for a single room for one night. All I needed to do is change the date. Then I copy-and-pasted this standard message into a new e-mail message and sent it off.
  7. If I did not get a reply in 24-36 hours, I would ask someone I was walking with, or someone working at a hostal or cafe if they would make the call for me to make a verbal reservation for my future needs. No one ever refused. This works with the property listed in the guide books, that do not have web sites or that are not covered on booking.com
I hope this information helps you or someone else.

I'm not concerned about finding places to stay once on the Camino. But I must admit, I have some trepidation about booking international flights, especially with connections, on my own. I know some people are very savvy about this, but I haven't been a world traveler since my twenties. So it's good to hear that going through an agent might be a good option for savings and synchronization.

Many of the commenters above have addressed getting to and from France/Spain adequately. So, I will not address that. However, once you arrive there are differences of experience and opinion as regards what to do once you arrive in France or Spain.

After doing the Camino Frances, twice, from St. Jean Pied de Port to Santiago (May 2013, May 2014) I offer these insights:
  1. DO make a reservation at St. Jean Pied de Port so you KNOW you have a comfortable bed waiting for you. Many folks go right into albergues. Personally, I prefer to decompress, repack, do final shopping, and mail ahead some things, before I start my walk. Having a hotel reservation beats being shunted from albergue to albergue to try to find a room on your first night. I can recommend the Hotel Ramuntcho, Rue de France 1. It is not cheap, but it is centrally located and a wonderful way to start your pilgrimage.
  2. DO break the first day into two segments. The first 25 Km from St. Jean to Roncesvalles is brutal, as it is the most steep upward climb on the entire Camino. There are higher peaks you will climb to. However the angle or pitch is the most steep the first day. Many people make a reservation (online and pay via PayPal) at Refuge d'Orisson, 8 Km UP from St. Jean Pied de Port. This is an upmarket albergue with shared bunk rooms and family style dining. Dinner and breakfast (basic) is included with the nightly rate. They have the best views in the area from their deck across the road. This is a great way to start a Camino, especially if the weather is good. But YOU MUST make an advance reservation. It is a popular place. Here is their web site: http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/ The second day is not nearly as bad as the first. The first third is uphill, the second third is more or less level, and the last third or so is downhill, either on a paved road or through the woods on a slippery trail. Most people stay at the Dutch volunteer-run albergue in the huge old seminary at Roncesvalles. I advise this, unless you want to stay in one of the small hotels adjacent.
  3. I have found that people, especially folks like me "of a certain age" tend to come down with bronchial / respiratory problems fast if I stay in albergues. It invariably develops in most folks over 40 after a week or two. This is not a fun way to spend your Camino. Both years, I developed a "chest-thing" after only two days. Cough syrup and decongestants cleared it up. The point is, consider staying in hostals, as opposed to albergues if you can afford it.
  4. Along the entire Camino, hostals, hotels, and private albergues can be booked online through www.booking.com. In Spain, a hostal is basically a one-star hotel. A hostel is an albergue. Every place I stayed was suitable to purpose - a single night's stay in a bed with clean sheets. For some odd reason, accommodations along the Camino Frances are very well represented in Booking.com. Just make sure the property is ON the Camio, not near the Camino. Prices range from €25 to €60, with an average of between €35 - €40 per night for a single. Yes, this sounds luxurious and expensive. But, the value of a solid night's sleep, with a locked door and private bathroom is priceless. Also, you can partner with someone else to share the room as a double. This reduces the per-person costs.
  5. I usually book three or four nights in advance, once I know my walking rate, physical condition, and the weather, making use of the free Wi-Fi available at many, many places along the Camino.
  6. For places not available on the web, or who have only e-mail addresses and phone numbers, I use Google Translate to compose a standard request for a single room for one night. All I needed to do is change the date. Then I copy-and-pasted this standard message into a new e-mail message and sent it off.
  7. If I did not get a reply in 24-36 hours, I would ask someone I was walking with, or someone working at a hostal or cafe if they would make the call for me to make a verbal reservation for my future needs. No one ever refused. This works with the property listed in the guide books, that do not have web sites or that are not covered on booking.com
I hope this information helps you or someone else.
Thank you, this was great information

I was not concerned about flights there and back, I was more concerned about while doing the walk and having trouble getting accommodation, and having to sleep with bed bugs or being left out with the stars, and being by myself I suppose there is a little fear there. But it seems it's not going to be hard to find a companion to travel with, I'm happy to pay extra to get a clean bed so t2 Andreo thank you for your very informative info

Hi Sharls - I'd like to add my welcome to you to the Forum. You'll receive wonderful advice and tons of support from the members here, plus the sharing of stories and humour from so many of the members make the Forum really, really special.
One thing I'd add to the excellent advice given in this thread is, if you haven't already bought it, buy the John Brierley guidebook "A Pilgrim's Guide to the Camino de Santiago" or the Michelin guide to the Camino de Santiago, and have a read through it now. I have the Brierley guide and, for me, it's so comprehensive - obviously not only for directions, but for practically everything else you would need along The Way - particularly regarding places to stay.
Enjoy your planning and training - it's a wonderfully exciting time before you take your first step on those magical and sacred paths.
Take joy in every step -
Cheers - Jenny

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You will not have a problem finding accommodation...except maybe after Sarria.....then we tended to stay in the village before the Brierley's recommended one and sometimes we pre-booked this portion...but only in the morning once we knew whether we would make the planned distance.

One of the best things about the Camino was the ability to change your mind and not be locked into having to walk a certain distance. Many times we found a village we liked and then we stayed. Sometimes even two nights. You can't do this if you have pre-booked and also sent your luggage on. In addition, sometimes problems happen ( injuries) and you cannot reach you planned destination. So my recommendation would be to be flexible.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back