• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it crazy to bring a "nook"?

tristow706

I was considering taking my Nook with me on the camino. Is this a crazy idea? I really love to read (especially before I fall asleep each night) and I thought I could also use the Nook apps for some basic e-mail when there is wireless available. Anyone ever take a Kindle or Nook with them? Would you do it again? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I took a Kindle in 2009 and would have taken it again..but discovered the Kindle app for my iPhone which does exactly the same thing is is synced with the Kindle.
Surprised how easy it is to read a book on the little iPhone screen.
Not sure if the Nook has a similar app for the smart phones. If it does I would just take the phone. If not take the nook.
If you are an avid reader simplifies everything.

(There are several guides/blogs that can be downloaded onto the reader. You might not want to carry them in print form but great to have when they do not add to pack weight.)

my sketch book is much lighter & smaller........scary because it's empty :lol:

Enjoy your nook or pad or what ever does it for you :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Abbeydore said:

Not sure what a sketch book has to do with a Nook or Kindle. ??

grayland said:
Abbeydore said:

That's OK, if I get back & I don't loose it, all will be revealed & then you'll understand........

Back to the topic...
There are a couple of other threads concerning taking Nook/Kindle devices. Most are very much in favor. The main difference between opinions is those with the e-readers and those without. There are also those (like us) who are avid readers and those who are not.
Obviously, those who are not avid readers will not understand why you would want to take one and those who do not have them seem to think them added weight to be avoided.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for the advice....my nook is going in my backpack. I did also purchase a small waterproof sleeve for it, just in case of inclement weather. I will consider this my 1 luxury item. :)

Abbeydore said:
my sketch book is much lighter & smaller........scary because it's empty

Enjoy your nook or pad or what ever does it for you
grayland said:
Abbeydore said:
That's OK, if I get back & I don't loose it, all will be revealed & then you'll understand........

:D

There can be long stretches - either waiting for an albergue to open, or hanging around in small towns and villages when everything is closed and there is nothing to do but sleep or read.
How lucky we are that we don't have to cart heavy books with us anymore - we can take a Kindle, or Nook with our favourite books on it.
I say take it!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I took a Kindle with me in France in 2010. In 2011 I took an updated version due to its lighter weight and longer battery life. By the time you add transatlantic flights and e-book versions of route guides like the ones from Allison Raju, it's an easy choice. I did leave the cover for collection later in Paris, saving myself 8 ounces - used a ziplock bag for weather protection instead. I will definitely take the Kindle on the next walking trip. (Any trip, actually!!)

On the subject of using the Kindle app on iPhone in lieu of an actual Kindle: the is a significant difference in the screen displays. The iPhone has the usual glossy-glass type of display which is almost impossible to read in direct sunlight (that is to say, while you are out walking). So if you intend to use the e-book versions of the route guides (either published or self-scanned as pdf files), then the actual Kindle with its e-ink screen can be easily read in direct sunlight.

I have no experience with using the Kindle as an email reader, since I also carry an iPhone for photos and connectivity.

Update: My nook is going with me sans the leather cover (saving me almost 6 oz). Many thanks for all the advice and tips. This will be my 1st camino (starting end of March) and I am trying to heed many veterans advice to pack light but I will make my nook the one non-essential exception. Thanks everyone! :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did not take my cover either. But, I did have a thin cloth bag and put a thin cardboard in front of the screen side to protect it from the movement of constant walking.

I think you lot are very sad :)
(tongue in cheek, don't get upset with me please, although I am serious too);
Take a sketch book & drawing what you are seeing, seen(what moved you that day) or feeling, or even doodle.

& save a lot of weight too :lol:

An actual sketch pad would easily weight four times my iPhone, and I can put the iPhone in my shirt pocket. Chacun a son gout. Not everyone can draw. Many who can do their drawing in the message books, and avoid carrying a sketch pad. The art is there for the pilgrims who follow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many thanks for this topic, Tristow :D

I'm planning on making my Camino at some point in the next few years (gotta get the cash first) and I, to am an avid reader. I bought myself a Nook after Christmas and haven't regretted it yet. I LOVE :lol: how the battery lasts 60 days when the WiFi is off and the whole thing weighs less than some of the books that I will be putting on it. I had planned on taking my Holy Bible and my Breviary, but they're HEAVY (Holy Bible weighs 1.5 pounds :oops: and Breviary is almost a pound :cry: ). With my Nook, i can leave the books at home and save room in my pack for small souvenirs. The only books that I'd consider bringing hard copies of would be my pilgrims guide and my Missal (for Sunday Mass readings, and it's also my Hymnal). The Missal weighs about 5 ounces, but it's priceless as far as being food for the soul. So my Nook is going in my pack.

As mentioned above...there are many good reasons to take either a Nook, or in my case a Kindle.

Maps, downloaded guidebooks, spiritual exercises, etc. Wouldn't leave home with out it.

Arn

Re: Is it crazy to bring a "nook"?

Sometimes, a little reading is a BIG luxury. My reading will more than likely be on my flight (don't usually sleep on planes) or on the train from Paris to St. Jean.

¡Buen Camino, De Colores y ULTREYA!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I carried a Kindle. I used it on the trains, planes, while camping, and on my days off. On the hiking days, I did not customarily read, too busy, too tired, too talkative. If the weight does not bother you, take it along and enjoy it. I am glad I took mine.

I would bring one especially if walking one of the less popular routes. When I walked the Via de la Plata in 2008 there were so few pilgrims (I met 3 over the last 17 days from Salamanca to Santiago) that I was desperate for something to read. Virtually every night I was the only person in the albergue and I don't speak Spanish other than enough to order food in a restaurant and ask for directions. Finally I found an abandonned English novel. I would never have read this book under normal circumstances but I read this book out of desperation....twice. It was garbage but at least I had something to read.

Haloranch

I met 3 over the last 17 days from Salamanca to Santiago... Virtually every night I was the only person in the albergue and I don't speak Spanish
You had some SERIOUS "me time!" I like solitude, but in moderation. For me, there is too much in a camino that comes from the people. I get 24 hours a day with myself, so I like a little variety. It helps that I don't dislike crowds, and don't compete, for a bed, for a meal, for the spotlight, or for the right of way. I rarely read on the camino, but I like fifteen minutes on a computer regularly.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.