A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Is it hot in here to you? A thread for Sharing Tips for Hot Blooded persons!

RumAndChupacabras

Do unto other's as you would have them do unto you
Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019 ~Apr. 2018 Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga~May/June 2016 Portuguese
Before I start one, Is there an existing thread for Hot Blooded persons?
If so please guide me to it because, I can't find any. :)
EDIT: As in those who are always, HOT!

Last edited:

Raggy

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Mozarabe Almeria (2017)
Cherhill to Canterbury - Pilgrims' Way (2018)
Via Francigena (2019)
As opposed to the regular ones for we reptiles, fish and amphibians?
Posted in cold blood?

My boss once received an email from a client in Paris who praised me for my cold bloodedness... "sangfroid" has a more positive meaning in French.

Last edited:

Vacajoe

Traded in my work boots for hiking ones
Camino(s) past & future
2019 Biarritz-Pamplona-Lourdes
2018 Aragon/Frances/Finis
2018 Operation Sabre
2018 Marin Ramble
So you’re hot blooded? Search the forums and see.
You’ve got replies of a hundred and three?
Come on Chupy, do you do more than post?
You’re hot blooded, hot blooded...

You must be a Foreigner... 😜

DanielH

Camino(s) past & future
September 2015 (SJPP to Burgos)
September 2016 (Burgos to Villafranca del Bierzo)
May 2017 (Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela)
Not that I recall. I was the one in a tee shirt every morning while everyone else sported a light jacket. They couldn't understand why I wasn't cold.

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Seven Compostelas in Three years and counting......
My mind boggles....

Hot sleepers need less bedding. Use a silk liner rather than sleeping bag.
Hot walkers need a UV hands free umbrella (in my opinion).
If you are just 'Hot' like me, don't wash ever. It keeps the ladies from hassling me. (In my mind only).

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
Jul-Sept 2019 ~Apr. 2018 Oviedo, Santo Toribio, Covadonga~May/June 2016 Portuguese
So you’re hot blooded? Search the forums and see.
You’ve got replies of a hundred and three?
Come on Chupy, do you do more than post?
You’re hot blooded, hot blooded...
You must be a Foreigner... 😜
Your're killin' me Smalls! 🤣

Paladina

Camino(s) past & future
Cycled caminos francés, Finisterre, primitivo & del norte (2017); VdlP/Sanabres, ingles et al (2018)
If you have any say in the allocation of albergue beds, opt to share a dorm with northern Europeans: they like to sleep with all the windows flung open and a bracing gale blowing all night. Southern Europeans, however, prefer a nocturnal miasma, having a morbid fear of draughts, chills and stiff necks.

Hurry Krishna

Indian on the Way
Camino(s) past & future
2009 (from Sarria), 2014 from St Jean Pied de Port, 2016 from Porto, 2018 from Le Puy to Santiago.
I think I qualify as hot-blooded in your definition :) - can’t walk if the temperature gets above 25 and prefer it to be below 20 actually.

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
@Paladina, I quickly learned to seek out the bed closest to a window. 😉

Nylon fabrics are wonderful and, are my choice at home or away (Las Vegas has inferno Summers). I have no problem pouring water on myself, to cool down. Another reason why I really like Macabi skirts is once wet, they act as an air conditioner. 😁

@Hurry Krishna, do you have any tips, tricks or suggestions on how to keep cooler?

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
Hot sleepers need less bedding. Use a silk liner rather than sleeping bag.
Hot walkers need a UV hands free umbrella (in my opinion).
I just got a silk liner as, I only used my lightweight sleeping bag 2 times in May 2016 on CP.
The bag attached umbrella is something I hadn't considered but should because, I find hats too hot.

Aesklepius

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: St Jean Pied-de-Port to Santiago, on to Fisterra, Muxia and back to Santiago. (April-June 2016)
Well....I was most comfortable in shorts, even from my start in mid-April. Those detachable pant legs stayed in the bottom of my back pretty much the whole way. Maybe just an effect of my more Northern being. What sorts of hot-blooded thoughts and questions have been percolating for you? I'm pretty sure that the quality and offer of being a "heat source" may not be seen as a proper reason to snuggle up with that chilly, cute and thermophilic peregrina/o. 🌞☃

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
Just changed the thread name.

Last edited:

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
@Aesklepius, I don't mind being the heat source to almost anything that feels cold as ice!
Just hoping to learn how other's handle being hotter than most and, share tips. 😉

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP to Najera Sept. 2017; Najera to Astorga Oct. 2018;
Thank you for this thread which I’m reading as I eat my morning porridge. I have tears running down my cheeks from laughing so hard 🤣🤣 What a great sense of humour so many of you have! Made my morning!

Aesklepius

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: St Jean Pied-de-Port to Santiago, on to Fisterra, Muxia and back to Santiago. (April-June 2016)
@Aesklepius, I don't mind being the heat source to almost anything that feels cold as ice!
Just hoping to learn how other's handle being hotter than most and, share tips. 😉
so, in deference to @Vacajoe, you could sing to your dorm-mates:

You look as cold as ice
So I'm willing to sacrifice my heat
You should take my advice
Someday you'll pay the price, not donativo
I've seen it before
It happens all the time
Crawl into my bunk
You leave the cold Camino behind
You're looking for warmth
Take my merino - it's hooded
My sleeping bag's open
'Cuz I'm hot blooded...

I did sleep rough a few nights. Lovely, under the stars and trees. And freakin' cold. Helped me to appreciate my own heat, when I did have it. Staying well hydrated was key on hot days and exposed stretches. As unfashionable as I find it, my wide-brimmed and vented Tilley Hat helped to protect my balding pate from exposure, and kept it cool - sometimes by soaking the hat in a stream or fuente....

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
Now that I'm thinking about it, Umbrellas could be the answer to a few things! When it rained, I threw a cheap plastic poncho over me and my backpack and adjusted my Macabi into shorts. That kept me from experiencing any super 'sauna effect'. With an umbrella, I don't imagine there's any need for a poncho unless there's thunder. Have any of you found this to be true?

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
Staying well hydrated was key on hot days and exposed stretches. As unfashionable as I find it, my wide-brimmed and vented Tilley Hat helped to protect my balding pate from exposure, and kept it cool - sometimes by soaking the hat in a stream or fuente....
Hydration, indeed! I found my Tilley was too warm. Although I did learn in another thread, that removing the foam sponge in the top will lessen that problem.

As a side note, why am I just now realizing that Foreigner ruled when it came to hot AND cold songs?! 🤔

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
No. Remember rain doesn't just fall straight down. If there's any wind at all it will hit you sideways.
Fair enough but, the umbrella could be tilted (I don't mind getting a bit wet). @trecile , you probably know about this next thing, too...I could also wear sleeveless tops instead of long sleeve SPF factor ones. Do your hiking dresses have short sleeves or sleeveless? If I don't have to slather in sunscreen AND can wear sleeveless, that would make a huge difference in being cooler!

Jami Gray

Camino(s) past & future
June/July 2015
June(2016?)
:) pretty much gotta get used to being hot unless you walk during winter! I too run "hot" - always sleep (regardless of season) with window open and fan on. On the Camino, I only used a silk liner; just left a long-sleeve on if it felt cooler than usual for sleeping. I always went for the "window" bunk, but regardless of how many times I opened it, someone would come over and close the window. I don't think I ever got to sleep an entire night with a window opened! Needless to say, I just got used to sleeping in the warmth. You'll be so tired some evenings, it won't even matter.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
Fair enough but, the umbrella could be tilted (I don't mind getting a bit wet). @trecile , you probably know about this next thing, too...I could also wear sleeveless tops instead of long sleeve SPF factor ones. Do your hiking dresses have short sleeves or sleeveless? If I don't have to slather in sunscreen AND can wear sleeveless, that would make a huge difference in being cooler!
My dresses have sort of a cap sleeve. But depending on the angle of the sun my arms aren't always completely in the shade, so I always apply sunscreen. When it's raining hard I like to use my umbrella with my poncho (actually it's called a "parcho", and has full sleeves). Then I don't have to use my good, and y visibility is so much better.

Camino(s) past & future
I have walked part of the Camino Frances and plan to start over in April 2018.
I also cannot stand the heat, so I only hike El Camino in April and in October. This April has been very cool and to my liking.

Dorpie

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
I've found liberal consumption of cold beer, if you're lucky from a frozen glass, does wonders, not only at time of consumption but also subsequently when trying to sleep.

Highly recommended!

Forestgirl

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Frances
2017 Portuguese, Muxia y Fisterra,
Ingles, Primativo
2018 Frances
2019 Norte

I would be the first to join. I prefer to walk on rainy days. Hot weather is for shade and gin and tonics!

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
Now that I'm thinking about it, Umbrellas could be the answer to a few things! When it rained, I threw a cheap plastic poncho over me and my backpack and adjusted my Macabi into shorts. That kept me from experiencing any super 'sauna effect'. With an umbrella, I don't imagine there's any need for a poncho unless there's thunder. Have any of you found this to be true?
I also feel like I could be holding a lightning rod

Anamiri

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
:) pretty much gotta get used to being hot unless you walk during winter! I too run "hot" - always sleep (regardless of season) with window open and fan on. On the Camino, I only used a silk liner; just left a long-sleeve on if it felt cooler than usual for sleeping. I always went for the "window" bunk, but regardless of how many times I opened it, someone would come over and close the window. I don't think I ever got to sleep an entire night with a window opened! Needless to say, I just got used to sleeping in the warmth. You'll be so tired some evenings, it won't even matter.
Yes we had battles over windows too - in one albergue we found a solution. All the window open people in one room, all the window closed in the other.
Achieved this via the language situation - discovered half of us English, NZ, Canadian, US and Irish, the other half Spanish and French.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF(x4), Fisterra/Muxía(x2), VdlP, Jerusalem, VF, Walsingham,
C inglés. Next: Toulouse to Lourdes
With an umbrella, I don't imagine there's any need for a poncho unless there's thunder. Have any of you found this to be true?
Yes. When I bring an umbrella (in Summer), I don’t bring either poncho or rain jacket. Kept me and my pack dry.

RumAndChupacabras

Camino(s) past & future
Cooling towels helped me tremendously on my first Camino AND, at home here in this FREAKIN' HAWT six (6) MONTHS long, Las Vegas summers! Anybody want to do a TRADE on houses during winter/summer???

Additionally, I have been served VERY WELL (both at home AND away) by my PacSafe crossbody/convertible/rfid/theft resistant bag...it's going with me [LORD WILLING] to Spain in August.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 146 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 248 25.3%