• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it hot in here to you? A thread for Sharing Tips for Hot Blooded persons!

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
Before I start one, Is there an existing thread for Hot Blooded persons?
If so please guide me to it because, I can't find any. :)
EDIT: As in those who are always, HOT!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not that I recall. I was the one in a tee shirt every morning while everyone else sported a light jacket. They couldn't understand why I wasn't cold.

My mind boggles....

Hot sleepers need less bedding. Use a silk liner rather than sleeping bag.
Hot walkers need a UV hands free umbrella (in my opinion).
If you are just 'Hot' like me, don't wash ever. It keeps the ladies from hassling me. (In my mind only).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So you’re hot blooded? Search the forums and see.
You’ve got replies of a hundred and three?
Come on Chupy, do you do more than post?
You’re hot blooded, hot blooded...
You must be a Foreigner... 😜
Your're killin' me Smalls! 🤣

If you have any say in the allocation of albergue beds, opt to share a dorm with northern Europeans: they like to sleep with all the windows flung open and a bracing gale blowing all night. Southern Europeans, however, prefer a nocturnal miasma, having a morbid fear of draughts, chills and stiff necks.

I think I qualify as hot-blooded in your definition :) - can’t walk if the temperature gets above 25 and prefer it to be below 20 actually.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Paladina, I quickly learned to seek out the bed closest to a window. 😉

Nylon fabrics are wonderful and, are my choice at home or away (Las Vegas has inferno Summers). I have no problem pouring water on myself, to cool down. Another reason why I really like Macabi skirts is once wet, they act as an air conditioner. 😁

@Hurry Krishna, do you have any tips, tricks or suggestions on how to keep cooler?

Hot sleepers need less bedding. Use a silk liner rather than sleeping bag.
Hot walkers need a UV hands free umbrella (in my opinion).
I just got a silk liner as, I only used my lightweight sleeping bag 2 times in May 2016 on CP.
The bag attached umbrella is something I hadn't considered but should because, I find hats too hot.

Well....I was most comfortable in shorts, even from my start in mid-April. Those detachable pant legs stayed in the bottom of my back pretty much the whole way. Maybe just an effect of my more Northern being. What sorts of hot-blooded thoughts and questions have been percolating for you? I'm pretty sure that the quality and offer of being a "heat source" may not be seen as a proper reason to snuggle up with that chilly, cute and thermophilic peregrina/o. 🌞

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just changed the thread name.

Last edited:
@Aesklepius, I don't mind being the heat source to almost anything that feels cold as ice!
Just hoping to learn how other's handle being hotter than most and, share tips. 😉

Thank you for this thread which I’m reading as I eat my morning porridge. I have tears running down my cheeks from laughing so hard 🤣🤣 What a great sense of humour so many of you have! Made my morning!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Aesklepius, I don't mind being the heat source to almost anything that feels cold as ice!
Just hoping to learn how other's handle being hotter than most and, share tips. 😉

so, in deference to @Vacajoe, you could sing to your dorm-mates:

You look as cold as ice
So I'm willing to sacrifice my heat
You should take my advice
Someday you'll pay the price, not donativo
I've seen it before
It happens all the time
Crawl into my bunk
You leave the cold Camino behind
You're looking for warmth
Take my merino - it's hooded
My sleeping bag's open
'Cuz I'm hot blooded...

I did sleep rough a few nights. Lovely, under the stars and trees. And freakin' cold. Helped me to appreciate my own heat, when I did have it. Staying well hydrated was key on hot days and exposed stretches. As unfashionable as I find it, my wide-brimmed and vented Tilley Hat helped to protect my balding pate from exposure, and kept it cool - sometimes by soaking the hat in a stream or fuente....

Now that I'm thinking about it, Umbrellas could be the answer to a few things! When it rained, I threw a cheap plastic poncho over me and my backpack and adjusted my Macabi into shorts. That kept me from experiencing any super 'sauna effect'. With an umbrella, I don't imagine there's any need for a poncho unless there's thunder. Have any of you found this to be true?

Staying well hydrated was key on hot days and exposed stretches. As unfashionable as I find it, my wide-brimmed and vented Tilley Hat helped to protect my balding pate from exposure, and kept it cool - sometimes by soaking the hat in a stream or fuente....
Hydration, indeed! I found my Tilley was too warm. Although I did learn in another thread, that removing the foam sponge in the top will lessen that problem.

As a side note, why am I just now realizing that Foreigner ruled when it came to hot AND cold songs?! 🤔

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No. Remember rain doesn't just fall straight down. If there's any wind at all it will hit you sideways.
Fair enough but, the umbrella could be tilted (I don't mind getting a bit wet). @trecile , you probably know about this next thing, too...I could also wear sleeveless tops instead of long sleeve SPF factor ones. Do your hiking dresses have short sleeves or sleeveless? If I don't have to slather in sunscreen AND can wear sleeveless, that would make a huge difference in being cooler!

:) pretty much gotta get used to being hot unless you walk during winter! I too run "hot" - always sleep (regardless of season) with window open and fan on. On the Camino, I only used a silk liner; just left a long-sleeve on if it felt cooler than usual for sleeping. I always went for the "window" bunk, but regardless of how many times I opened it, someone would come over and close the window. I don't think I ever got to sleep an entire night with a window opened! Needless to say, I just got used to sleeping in the warmth. You'll be so tired some evenings, it won't even matter.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fair enough but, the umbrella could be tilted (I don't mind getting a bit wet). @trecile , you probably know about this next thing, too...I could also wear sleeveless tops instead of long sleeve SPF factor ones. Do your hiking dresses have short sleeves or sleeveless? If I don't have to slather in sunscreen AND can wear sleeveless, that would make a huge difference in being cooler!
My dresses have sort of a cap sleeve. But depending on the angle of the sun my arms aren't always completely in the shade, so I always apply sunscreen. When it's raining hard I like to use my umbrella with my poncho (actually it's called a "parcho", and has full sleeves). Then I don't have to use my good, and y visibility is so much better.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also cannot stand the heat, so I only hike El Camino in April and in October. This April has been very cool and to my liking.

I've found liberal consumption of cold beer, if you're lucky from a frozen glass, does wonders, not only at time of consumption but also subsequently when trying to sleep.

Highly recommended!

I would be the first to join. I prefer to walk on rainy days. Hot weather is for shade and gin and tonics!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Now that I'm thinking about it, Umbrellas could be the answer to a few things! When it rained, I threw a cheap plastic poncho over me and my backpack and adjusted my Macabi into shorts. That kept me from experiencing any super 'sauna effect'. With an umbrella, I don't imagine there's any need for a poncho unless there's thunder. Have any of you found this to be true?
I also feel like I could be holding a lightning rod

:) pretty much gotta get used to being hot unless you walk during winter! I too run "hot" - always sleep (regardless of season) with window open and fan on. On the Camino, I only used a silk liner; just left a long-sleeve on if it felt cooler than usual for sleeping. I always went for the "window" bunk, but regardless of how many times I opened it, someone would come over and close the window. I don't think I ever got to sleep an entire night with a window opened! Needless to say, I just got used to sleeping in the warmth. You'll be so tired some evenings, it won't even matter.
Yes we had battles over windows too - in one albergue we found a solution. All the window open people in one room, all the window closed in the other.
Achieved this via the language situation - discovered half of us English, NZ, Canadian, US and Irish, the other half Spanish and French.

Cooling towels helped me tremendously on my first Camino AND, at home here in this FREAKIN' HAWT six (6) MONTHS long, Las Vegas summers! Anybody want to do a TRADE on houses during winter/summer???

Additionally, I have been served VERY WELL (both at home AND away) by my PacSafe crossbody/convertible/rfid/theft resistant bag...it's going with me [LORD WILLING] to Spain in August.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hydration, indeed! I found my Tilley was too warm. Although I did learn in another thread, that removing the foam sponge in the top will lessen that problem.

Too hot for the hottub, everydays a school day🤔

'The non-absorbent foam liner in the crown not only adds buoyancy and fulfils the floating criterion but it also offers head protection too.'

I thought that little removable foam section in the crown was too cool top of head. On a hot day I would remove mine from the freezer if I could find one in Albergue or dip in fountains or insert ice from my fresh OJ. 😋

I live in Mackay, Queensland, Australia. It gets very humid here. Can be 28 degrees Celsius with 90 percent humidity. When I’m walking in summer (early in the day)I soak a buff in cold water, wring it out and wear it round my neck. I re- wet it as needed with water sources on my walk. It also helps to trap the perspiration running down your face and back of neck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.