• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it legal to walk the Camino alone?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are no Camino Carbonarios so I don't see how such a thing could be enforced. If this is something new, which I seriously doubt, I for one and many others will be in big big trouble next time we try and walk the Camino as we like - alone with my books and Mozart.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have heard some in Denmark talk about that it is no longer legal to walk the Camino alone. I don't know if that's true. Is it still legal to walk the Camino alone?

Hi @Skipper .

I see it is your first post here. Welcome!

I don't know where your information came from but trust me that it not true.
Maybe this was told in view of recent harrasment and safety issues on certain Caminos. Rest assured that these cases are still very rare.

If you intend to walk the Camino Frances or the Portugues you will certainly not walk alone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have heard some in Denmark talk about that it is no longer legal to walk the Camino alone. I don't know if that's true. Is it still legal to walk the Camino alone?

BS!
The first 3 days I was somehow "lonely" on my walks towards Pamplona on the CF. The nearer you get to your accomodation, the more crowded will get the Camino!

You never walk alone!

After Pamplona I hardly had the path for me alone.

Only in the Meseta and between Punta de la Reina and Los Arcos there were some stretches where I had the most time the path for me alone.
It also depends of your personal speed. The faster you are, the more space you will have.

There is no and will not be a legislation not to walk a Camino "alone".

Buen Camino!
Roland

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My preference is to walk alone - that way i don't have to try to keep up with someone or have to coerce someone to keep up with me. It will be interesting to hear if anyone has any legal opinions about walking the camino. To my knowledge there are very few "legal" demands besides common sense, common law, respect others, respect self.

Halløj Skipper;

do not ever go to that Ale house again, they are blatant liars...

However, there should still be a Danish royal dictum from the time of the Reformation banning us Lutherans to partake in any Camino at all...
Being the anti-authoritarians we are, however, you can feel free to do it anayway...

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The rules about walking the Camino alone have not changed. As to whether it is legal, it probably depends upon your age. I suspect that were an 8 year old to try and walk it alone and stay in albergues, they may run into legal trouble. But for an adult, there is no problem.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
However, there should still be a Danish royal dictum from the time of the Reformation banning us Lutherans to partake in any Camino at all...
Which is, I suspect, why the St Olavs Ways are presented as cultural, scientific and spiritual, but NOT religious, activities by the Norse and other Scandinavian churches.

Which is, I suspect, why the St Olavs Ways are presented as cultural, scientific and spiritual, but NOT religious, activities by the Norse and other Scandinavian churches.
It is only two years since the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland - the Presbyterian national established church in Scotland - voted to formally end its long-standing official disapproval of pilgrimage and recognise it as a potentially valuable spiritual discipline.

It is only two years since the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland - the Presbyterian national established church in Scotland - voted to formally end its long-standing official disapproval of pilgrimage and recognise it as a potentially valuable spiritual discipline.
In that case you’d better do your Camino’s again. Now that it’s potentially good for you...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Speaking as an ordained minister in a similar tradition I can boldly say that the church always will proclaim the truth—-but it’s usually about 500 years too late.

Is this a clickbait joke? I mean any logical person would immediately say with confidence it is BS. Who would enforce this "law"? How? :D Ridiculous.
I think the missing context implies a misunderstanding but even if it was meant to state that alone it is not safe I would disagree. Walking alone on the camino I never felt more safe, because in my experience everybody is looking after everybody and helps even without asking.

Last edited:
There are no Camino Carbonarios so I don't see how such a thing could be enforced. If this is something new, which I seriously doubt, I for one and many others will be in big big trouble next time we try and walk the Camino as we like - alone with my books and Mozart.
Aaahhhh Mozart fixes everything

I certainly hope it’s legal because I’m not doing it any other way

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What possible reason would there be for such a restriction?

Well.... now that the Camino has been sanctioned by the Scots, we can all stop holding our breath!

Maybe this helps?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is this a clickbait joke? I mean any logical person would immediately say with confidence it is BS. Who would enforce this "law"? How? :D Ridiculous.
One can never know for sure what the purpose of these posts is that are the one and only question posted by someone who joined the forum and immediately posted their question without the least hesitation, ie. without looking around, getting a feel of the place, reading the forum rules ... is it a one-time joker or a bored forum member who wants to start an animated discussion? You either give them the benefit of the doubt and think that it's a genuine request or you dimly remember your Usenet days where you learnt that you don't feed trolls. 😇

There are quite a few of these one-and-only messages that start a thread. Some are more skilfully executed than others ...

Maybe this helps?
As an alternative to Mozart?
If I had to change him while walking my path, I would prefer "Chainides " .

"path of life
ends on a cliff
and who has wings in soul
spreads them and saves himself"

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I met a number of Danes on my two Caminos. Obviously they were scofflaws!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back