• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it me? (Pilgrim signs are everywhere)

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2022)
Does anyone else feel that they may have opened up an inner channel post-Camino? Or maybe before. I, like many others, felt it calling me to do it. References randomly popping up over the years until finally the opportunity as good as smacked me in the face.

I have walked three Caminos and will walk again this year. Thank goodness. But I feel it with me constantly. Not just the memories and the life lessons. Also a ridiculous obsession with walking shoes/boots and backpacks. But aside from all that it's the Pilgrim bit that's currently getting out of hand. I've moved to a place where you couldn't get any more pilgrim references if you tried. Pilgrim Way and Pilgrim Park and Pilgrim Health Centre to name but a few. Not too surprising considering the local link with the Pilgrim Fathers. So on a daily basis pilgrim is in my vocab.

However I have just returned from a minibreak to Rotterdam. There we had a lovely saunter around the old part of the town in a spot called Delfthaven. Walking along the waterway we spot a lovely hostelry. On closer inspection it was called 'Pelgrim'. Of course it was. And next door was the church with a plaque stating the Pilgrim Fathers had departed from there to - yes you've guessed it - us in the UK. Ahead of the main trip to the US of course. So obviously we headed into the Pelgrim and enjoyed its wonderful hospitality.

The next afternoon we went into a bar. It turned out to be a Spanish bar. No reason to choose that one. But there you go. My husband asked for a glass of red wine. They did not stock that one so the barman came over. He presented the bottle with a flourish. 'A lovely wine from Galicia. In the region of Ferrol'. Well at least he didn't say Santiago. That would have been too much

So do other people see Camino references all around? Or am I hyper-sensitive? Anyway I don't want to change because each little glimpse is a source of joy.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well - your first paragraph is totally me! I did the Camino in 2021 and 2022 and am planning my 2023 AND 2024 Via Francigena (doing half and then the second half).

But where I live - there is no reference to "Pilgrim" anything. I would be shocked if I ever saw a reference to anything Pilgrim. But I do live near Mexico - so we have streets names with Spanish and American Indian references... so I see the word "CAMINO" all the time. Hard to miss.

That said - it is the arrows. Arrows everywhere and it is hard to resist the urge to follow them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else feel that they may have opened up an inner channel post-Camino? Or maybe before. I, like many others, felt it calling me to do it. References randomly popping up over the years until finally the opportunity as good as smacked me in the face.
Sort of.

Welcome to the Caminoholics Anonymous.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, in psychology I think it is called selective perception. I once bought a white Prius and then noticed everyone else had a white Prius, too. Hadn't noticed it before. Your awareness is raised and then suddenly you notice yellow arrows, shells, and camino/pilgrim references everywhere.

The Camino is an obsession for my husband now and a borderline obsession for me. He is on all kinds of Zoom chat, Facebook, and hospitalero groups in addition to reading the forum every day, etc. I still work, so only have time really for the forum and maybe a Camino book or too on the weekend. We do take Spanish lessons every week together and try to go back to Spain every year for at least part of a Camino stretch and to volunteer in an albergue now. I missed from 2019 to 2022 due to work and Covid, but he went in 2021 and served in an albergue without me.

Happily my memory still provides flashbacks!

I completed my tenth CF in December 2014 but every day since there have been recollections often based on the weather; here in rural France every morning I wonder how the weather on the CF might be.

Since 2009 sharing and participating in this unique forum has been part of my daily life. Providing information about the Camino which is almost always based on personal memory has become a particular pleasure whether responding to another pilgrim's query or writing for unknown readers.

Now at 84 and unable to walk long distances I regularly look forward to the next time to recall and hope that such recollectionss continue as long as I.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So do other people see Camino references all around?

No, except from those that I brought home and which I see around me every day, but since I walked my first Camino in 2017, the thought of walking another is never far away in my mind. I won’t try to explain, you all know what I mean. I will be walking again this summer.

Buen Camino to all!

I have walked three Caminos and will walk again this year. Thank goodness. But I feel it with me constantly. Not just the memories and the life lessons. Also a ridiculous obsession with walking shoes/boots and backpacks. But aside from all that it's the Pilgrim bit that's currently getting out of hand. I've moved to a place where you couldn't get any more pilgrim references if you tried. Pilgrim Way and Pilgrim Park and Pilgrim Health Centre to name but a few. Not too surprising considering the local link with the Pilgrim Fathers. So on a daily basis pilgrim is in my vocab.

However I have just returned from a minibreak to Rotterdam. There we had a lovely saunter around the old part of the town in a spot called Delfthaven. Walking along the waterway we spot a lovely hostelry. On closer inspection it was called 'Pelgrim'. Of course it was. And next door was the church with a plaque stating the Pilgrim Fathers had departed from there to - yes you've guessed it - us in the UK. Ahead of the main trip to the US of course. So obviously we headed into the Pelgrim and enjoyed its wonderful hospitality.

The next afternoon we went into a bar. It turned out to be a Spanish bar. No reason to choose that one. But there you go. My husband asked for a glass of red wine. They did not stock that one so the barman came over. He presented the bottle with a flourish. 'A lovely wine from Galicia. In the region of Ferrol'. Well at least he didn't say Santiago. That would have been too much

So do other people see Camino references all around? Or am I hyper-sensitive? Anyway I don't want to change because each little glimpse is a source of joy.

If you're interested in the pilgrim historical connection than you might also be interested in reading this page: https://www.mayflower400leiden.com/
Rotterdam is mentioned.

I grew up in the US (family left the UK for America in 1630) but live next to Leiden, The Netherlands where pilgrims settled before leaving for America in 1620. We also have the Pilgrim American Museum, the smallest museum in the The Netherlands with its two rooms.

But in answer to your question, there is never a week (or day!) that goes by when I don't have some contact with the Camino whether that be here on the Forum or on Facebook with all its Camino groups. I've walked a Camino - or two, every year (except 2020) since I started in 2010 and have been a volunteer hospitalera 6 times. I guess it's in my bones by now😂

Last edited:
In 2021 I travelled from the UK to Lithuania for surgery. On the day I arrived I literally stubbed my toe on this brass marker in the pavement of a street in the centre of Kaunas. A few days after the surgery I took a bus to a nearby small spa town for a quiet walk in the snow and saw another marker on a metal post. The Caminos seem to follow me around to very unexpected places.
IMG_20211123_124418_2.jpg
IMG_20211204_124806.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Totally! I think about my past Caminos every day, surround myself with reminders and am always planning my next one! Off to the Via de la Plata and Camino Sanabres soon - my 7th & 8th routes!

Sort of.

Welcome to the Caminoholics Anonymous.
As always Alex you hit it right on the head!

Well - your first paragraph is totally me! I did the Camino in 2021 and 2022 and am planning my 2023 AND 2024 Via Francigena (doing half and then the second half).
The thing that keeps my camino fix is the endless planning. After my camino that I finished last December I spent 3 months tinkering and deciding where I am going to go this year. After a great deal of thought I am really bouncing around this year. I will walk the Vasco Interior to Burgos. Walk the Meseta to Leon. Bus or train to Porto and walk the coastal to the Variante Espiritual up to Santiago and if I have time talk a stroll to Muxia.
I am already thinking about next year a little bit. It is up in the air as. a friend has said he wants to walk with me. I have heard that before and seeing is believing. If he wants to walk I may be forced to do much of the Camino Frances. But I think I will recommend we do the Aragones to Puente La Reina and then carry on and walk the CF. I guess everyone should walk the CF the first time. I loved the Aragones and it would be great for me and a nice contrast for a new pilgrim to see the differences between a very quiet camino (when I walk the Aragones last year I only saw 2 other pilgrims the entire walk until Tiebas. He would only miss about the first 90k of the CF. If he does not come I am thinking of starting in Cordoba on the Mozarabe and in Merida doing the VDLP again. It is such a surreal camino for me I feel like I need to do it again. But who know haha

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

But where I live - there is no reference to "Pilgrim" anything. I would be shocked if I ever saw a reference to anything Pilgrim. But I do live near Mexico - so we have streets names with Spanish and American Indian references... so I see the word "CAMINO" all the time. Hard to miss.

That said - it is the arrows. Arrows everywhere and it is hard to resist the urge to follow them!
Ah yes, the yellow arrows!
I see yellow arrows everywhere
Now why is that I wonder
This one “urged” me to the central line on the underground last week and I couldn’t help it….I just had to take a picture
Had a few curious looks though8B727E69-94C0-41D7-9609-6FDB74CCA6CC.jpeg

Yes, in psychology I think it is called selective perception. I once bought a white Prius and then noticed everyone else had a white Prius, too. Hadn't noticed it before. Your awareness is raised and then suddenly you notice yellow arrows, shells, and camino/pilgrim references everywhere.
I have obviously developed a serious case of selective perception:.

I once was driving across Italy on holiday: In a small village, Monte Fiascone (I called it Monte Fiasco bc everything was closed; summer holiday in Italy), I discovered a yellow arrow on a wall, and instinctively followed it; found a couple of others, leading me to a church on a hill, and I suddenly realized I was walking a small part of the Via Francigena...

Found another yellow arrow near the St. Peter's basilica in Rome two days after, and had to smile: Noone knew/understood the secret signal, except me...

Last edited:
I live in Portugal now, and besides the Camino signs I see on my daily walk (Caminho do Mar & Caminho Fatima) I'm finding they pop up all the time when I'm traveling in Europe. Bratislava, Dinant, Allcoutin - all places I wouldn't have necessarily expected to find one. Although the funniest isn't mine: the friend with whom I walked a section of the Portuguese was in Germany last summer and found a Martin Luthersweg - I can picture him rolling in the grave at the idea of people treading his path on the way to indulgences!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

What you are describing is well known in psychology. Carl Junge wrote about it extensively in his pioneering work on human psychology. I believe he coined the word Synchronicity to describe the effect, although selective perception describes the idea pretty well. You are not going mad. Google the word if curious, and you can read yourself silly about this curious effect.

My daughter and I were speaking about a friend who sadly has dementia. She turned to me and said "If you get like that I'm going to paint yellow arrows around the property (2 acres) on the rocks and trees, hand you your boots, poles and backpack, hand out café con leche or orange juice a couple of times a day, make an ensalada mixta and a tortilla for lunch and "i know you'll be busy and happy for months at a time!"
And I'm sure I would be!

Have yet to walk my first Camino... but the signs are there. My phone camera didn't do it justice but, while walking one morning this week, I could see the shell laid out in sunbeams across the sky... all lines leading to the light.

Attachments

• Lines.jpg
    Lines.jpg
    1,006 KB · Views: 28
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My daughter and I were speaking about a friend who sadly has dementia. She turned to me and said "If you get like that I'm going to paint yellow arrows around the property (2 acres) on the rocks and trees, hand you your boots, poles and backpack, hand out café con leche or orange juice a couple of times a day, make an ensalada mixta and a tortilla for lunch and "i know you'll be busy and happy for months at a time!"
And I'm sure I would be!
I love this! beautiful...

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back