• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it me?

Time of past OR future Camino
First camino for June 2016. 2nd planning for June 2017.
I can't help but wonder if it's me or do many people experience this feeling of " I wish my departure date would arrive already". I've booked my flight, leave to Barcelona and arrive on June 16. Do I have Camino fever? That day can't arrive quick enough. I find myself daydreaming of the walk. Is this common? Do other first time pilgrims experience this same emotional chaos?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I feel just the same before every pilgrimage. In my case the fever doesn't get any easier. Luckily I don't have to wait so long. Decided a few days ago that I would walk the Portugues. Starting next Thursday. Itching to get going :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I feel the same some , but I never wish time by anymore, it's all precious. I need my few more weeks to lower my carried weight (FSI). Enjoy the planning and anticipation!

Thank you, mpallen004. I agree. I enjoy every moment I have. A few years ago I couldn't even imagine making this journey. My arthritis was taking control of my ability to walk with assistance. After years odd feeling sorry for myself u went through I life changing experience, went through a divorce which forced me to count on myself and gave me the newfound lease on life. Now I walk 15 miles a day and enjoy life to the fullest. I'm thankful everyday for what I have. My lust for life propels me forward. Buen Camino.

I am of 2 minds about the arrival date of my Camino. We fly out on May 26th, so just over 3 months from now. On the one hand, I want to be on the Camino now - hurry up May, let's get here quickly. On the other hand, I have a ton of work stuff to get accomplished in the next few months, so I want time to slow down so that I can get it all done and get past this crunch period with my sanity intact :mad::eek::rolleyes:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Your absolutely correct. So much to prepare in these next four months. Work is not the problem. I'm a middle school teacher, so I'm leaving after school releases for the summer. But all the arrangements for the house, dogs, and everything else. Buen Camino, november_moon.

I can't help but wonder if it's me or do many people experience this feeling of " I wish my departure date would arrive already". I've booked my flight, leave to Barcelona and arrive on June 16. Do I have Camino fever? That day can't arrive quick enough. I find myself daydreaming of the walk. Is this common? Do other first time pilgrims experience this same emotional chaos?

Enjoy these days, full of wonder and special moments - just a taste of the Camino and you will remember them just as much! And yes, we are all alike! But you can (if need be) brush up on a little Spanish or French, depending where you walk; train with friends every weekend at least; try your equipment - yes, that means trying out your silk liner or your sleeping bag; hope for hard rain to try out your gear etc etc.... Before you know it, the day will have arrived and YOU will be ready! That's my two cents anyway!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you, Susan. I am fluent in Spanish as I live in South Texas. Working on a few French phrases for my time in St. Jean. Have a great day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
"I wish my departure date would arrive already". I've booked my flight, leave to Barcelona and arrive on June 16. ... That day can't arrive quick enough. I find myself daydreaming of the walk. ... Do other first time pilgrims experience this same emotional chaos?

I leave New Zealand on 1 April (no jokes please) and plan to leave home two or three weeks before that to see family and friends on the way to the airport. I have four weeks to fill in. Yes I can do some more training - did 42 km with all my gear on sealed/concrete footpaths on Wednesday. Hope to do about one a week until ... I have a few assigned tasks to complete, but they are almost all well down the track.

And still I am very nervous. And anxious.

PS: While I did over 100 km from Sarria in 2010 that was more in the nature of a last minute decision (as I was already at Santiago) and in the nature of a trial run.

Awesome. Sounds like your ready. You know that there's got to be something wrong worn us. This is an amazing experience I'm having already. Connecting with individuals from all over the world with a love for the experience of going on a pilgrimage. If this interaction is any indication of what's in store, I'm going on the trip of my lifetime. Thank you for your conversation. Buen Camino.

The day I finished my first Frances I began planning my second. The day I finished my second Frances I began planning my third. A day does not go by when I do not pine for Spain.

There must be a name for this condition in DSM. Probably something like "Camino Derangement Syndrome."

Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm a third timer and I know of what you speak. I h a v e 6 0 d a y s a n d c o u n t i n g ! Buen Camino

We're with you!!
First Camino and only 67 more sleeps!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes you are suffering from Caminozitis like most of us ☺
64 days for my next camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Darn when I thought I was feeling better you guys had to start counting days? :) the fever its back 54 days to go but who is counting :) yoga, meditation and walking helps a lot.

Zzotte

Just you wait, you think you have a problem now... The camino is a contagious disease and it sounds as if you are incubating it rapidly. There is no known cure and itt regularly recurs. All you can do then is plan another trip and another and another and another...
Enjoy!

Understand completely. Remedy is this.
Wait until evening, open a bottle of wine and put some snacks down ready. Close all curtains in your sitting room, turn of all lights, get comfortable and watch The Way, with Martin Sheen (not on prescription yet but can be bought really cheap on Ebay).
Watch film.
Repeat as necessary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't leave until August 24th!! But I want to enjoy all of this anticipation. This will be my 3rd Camino (2013,2014,2016) and I remember the weirdness at the end when it was all over. Cherish every moment because before long you'll be home...and planning your next if you are like the rest of us addicts!!

That's what worries me. I'm afraid that I will become a camino junkie looking for frequent fixes. I'll just have to keep walking. I'll have all of you to help ease the pain. Thanks TammyLynn

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm leaving May 27, and no, I do not want the time to come yet. In November, I started training walks and happy with my progress, then I fell and fractured my knee just before Christmas, and then got this cold/cough that's hanging on forever, seems like longer than it took my knee to heal. Yikes!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It's coming quickly. You'll be fine, the cure for all that ails you is the camino.

Not just you. I also suffer from AAAM Syndrome. (Anticipation and Anxiety in Alternating Measures)

On the other hand, I have a ton of work stuff to get accomplished in the next few months, so I want time to slow down so that I can get it all done and get past this crunch period with my sanity intact

59 days to go..... I'm already taking "things I must get done" off of that list. It ain't gonna happen, so why pretend otherwise and stress about it?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Taking 10 of my middle school kids for a 15 mile hike tomorrow morning. They want to help with getting in shape for the camino. They want for me to bring their group pic on the camino so that I'll tell their story to my fellow pilgrims on the trail. Told them that we would.

By the way, how do I post my start date on the calendar?
Hi Rupert

Try this.
  1. Open this link in your browser https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/pilgrim-introductions.14/
  2. Top right hand corner - click on start a new thread
  3. Give the thread a title - e.g. My first Camino
  4. Add a brief message in the box underneath - e.g. From the US - Starting my first Camino .....
  5. Click 'Create Thread'
  6. Select Thread Tools above your post to the right
  7. In the drop down box select Calendar Add
  8. Select the start date
  9. Press Submit
  10. Select Calendar Tab on the bar at the top (between Watched Threads and New Posts)
  11. Go to June and it should be there!!!
Hope this helps.
Buen Camino
Carol

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
67 days for me. So excited! But I too have stuff to do in the meantime.

Priscilla, that's wonderful. As you see, we're all counting our days. I'm envious of the close dates. But eventually we'll all be on the camino.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I remember the weirdness at the end when it was all over.

Many of us, me included, are experiencing nervousness or anxiety. And quite often for different reasons. Which goes to show each on of us is different: praise be.

And another, to me anyway, interesting aspect to this thread is that nearly all the post are from those of the masculine persuasion. Which is brilliant

To my mind @TammyLynn has hit on a major aspect: when you get to your finish point, its over. How to climb down from the heights of euphoria (or was that it really the effect of painkillers?).

Several things helped me at the time.
Firstly I had two family weddings later that month (Surrey, England and Alsace, France)
Secondly I had done a different pilgrimage in the fortnight before starting from Sarria.
Thirdly, staying put in Santiago for four night to wind down.
Fourthly, and quite by accident, encountering a multi language ritual in the Chapel of S Andrew in the Cathedral aimed at just that aspect. Taken by a Cathedral priest competent in many (European!?) languages.

I agree with Alwyn, i always stay in Santiago for an extra 4/5 nights, its such a lovely place to sit around and have a few wines and just watch the time go by. I'm also counting down like the rest of you, in 49 day i leave from Somport Pass and i think i suffer with the same malady.

Buen Camino Judy.

We all suffer together, Judy. Welcome to the post for wayward camino afflicted pilgrims. Buen Camino.

I start my first Camino 2/5/16 which I am really looking forward to, but have moments of "What am I doing"!! My mind is still young and on an adventure but the body doesn't always agree. Suffer from aches and pains, very grateful that I can take some time out of my busy life to do this walk and other adventures that I have planned. I'm taking 47 Days to Santiago and stopping of along the way. Buen Camino a todos ;)

I do not leave until September and as someone mentioned in this thread, I too suffer from Caminozitis. Reading this forum just makes it more and more enticing! Buen Camino a todos!

Glad you're champing at the bit but if you're flying transatlantic and arriving in Barcelona on the 16th are you sure you want to kick off from SJPP the next day? The first three days out are hard enough without jet lag.
Either way buen'camino and enjoy!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Glad you're champing at the bit but if you're flying transatlantic and arriving in Barcelona on the 16th are you sure you want to kick off from SJPP the next day? The first three days out are hard enough without jet lag.
Either way buen'camino and enjoy!
I hadn't thought of that. That's another consideration. May have to enjoy the beauty of Barcelona for a day and not rush my start. 123 days to go and more considerations for the journey.
Thanks Jeff.
Buen Camino

I start my first Camino 2/5/16 which I am really looking forward to, but have moments of "What am I doing"!! My mind is still young and on an adventure but the body doesn't always agree. Suffer from aches and pains, very grateful that I can take some time out of my busy life to do this walk and other adventures that I have planned. I'm taking 47 Days to Santiago and stopping of along the way. Buen Camino a todos ;)
That's wonderful Lleninot, sounds great. I wish you well. Buen Camino

Yes definitely happens...... I have the same jittery feelings etc before each of my journeys - wherever they may be.......

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are also arriving in Barcelona on the 16th June - we're only walking for a week, from Pamplona - and we feel the exact same way you do, counting the days!

We are also arriving in Barcelona on the 16th June - we're only walking for a week, from Pamplona - and we feel the exact same way you do, counting the days!
Great GillRichardson, hopefully we'll see each other. As the date nears I'll reach out and see if you guys are arriving around the same time in Barcelona. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am now only 3 days out and have passed to the "wake up early in the morning and want to start walking" phase. I put all the equipment, divied by person, out in the living room today, and to my joy discovered that I need to buy something: an extra tube of toothpaste! Camino shopping is the only kind of shopping I actively enjoy...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Understand completely. Remedy is this.
Wait until evening, open a bottle of wine and put some snacks down ready. Close all curtains in your sitting room, turn of all lights, get comfortable and watch The Way, with Martin Sheen (not on prescription yet but can be bought really cheap on Ebay).
Watch film.
Repeat as necessary.
Watching it again! Smile. Took your advice and added the wine. I have been bitten, by the camino bug. Have not gone yet, but planning and dreaming. Looks like Summer of 2017 with my 17 year old son, but I have been reading everything I can. This forum is great. I suppose in a way I have started my camino, as others here have.
Sheila

€83,-
Watching The Way for the first time right now, we're off to the airport tomorrow morning...

My passport arrived today. Now just waiting for the June departure date. Been putting in 10 mile walks for the last 11 days. Will increase to 14 in two weeks. Buen Camino everyone.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back