• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it my imagination....

Aidan21

Time of past OR future Camino
2024 León to SDC
Or is it something else? I have on 3 separate occasions travelled to the Camin0 Frances to walk. On the first occasion I had no injury worries and after 11 days of walking I felt absolutely wonderful, physically and mentally. On the second occasion I had a persistent ankle injury that was very slowly responding to physiotherapy treatment and my departure date was delayed by 3 weeks to allow for extra healing time. After a few days walking my ankle injury disappeared and I was able to complete my walk with no trouble. Earlier this month I walked from Sarria to SDC but was carrying a knee injury and my back was giving me some pain from an injury. I walked for 6 days and neither my knee of back gave me any trouble whatsoever. I did not have any expectation of old injuries disappearing as I walked so I doubt if it is a placebo effect, so I was just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar to the disappearance of old aches and pains as they made their way along the Way. Aidan.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Or is it something else? I have on 3 separate occasions travelled to the Camin0 Frances to walk. On the first occasion I had no injury worries and after 11 days of walking I felt absolutely wonderful, physically and mentally. On the second occasion I had a persistent ankle injury that was very slowly responding to physiotherapy treatment and my departure date was delayed by 3 weeks to allow for extra healing time. After a few days walking my ankle injury disappeared and I was able to complete my walk with no trouble. Earlier this month I walked from Sarria to SDC but was carrying a knee injury and my back was giving me some pain from an injury. I walked for 6 days and neither my knee of back gave me any trouble whatsoever. I did not have any expectation of old injuries disappearing as I walked so I doubt if it is a placebo effect, so I was just wondering if anyone else experienced anything similar to the disappearance of old aches and pains as they made their way along the Way. Aidan.
Exactly the same here with chronical old injuries (knees and ankles) :D
I don't give much thought to it just enjoying the results, hahaha.

Could just be due to your body getting in better condition. Improved circulation and such from the exercise.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Exactly the same here with chronical old injuries (knees and ankles) :D
I don't give much thought to it just enjoying the results, hahaha.
My chronic pain old left knee did fantastic on my Camino last month- it was my right/good knee that gave me fits (but thank goodness after I was done :)

My chronic pain old left knee did fantastic on my Camino last month- it was my right/good knee that gave me fits (but thank goodness after I was done :)
That could be because the body feels the "pain" in left knee and transfers the body load more to the right knee. It's done automatically and you feel it only after the joint that "helped" is overloaded/in pain. Friend of mine who's orthopaedist told me that if you have unhealed left ankle the pain is more likely to developed in the right one. And then it goes in zig-zag up the body. So next it's left knee that helps right ankle (bacause right ankle has been helping left ankle) and right heep that helps left knee. Presumably it can go all the way up to your neck in that zig-zag. Don't know what to believe but as far as lower joints are concerned I can only second that explanation.
Does it make any sense with all those lef/right/left/right??? :D

You were lightening your load along the way no.
You left the mortal coil and belonged to yourself again.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had the opposite effect. Started out great, but as time wore on my knees wore out. Had a great time though and my wife and I are planning another trip. We will take it more slowly though, especially at the start.

That could be because the body feels the "pain" in left knee and transfers the body load more to the right knee. :D
That was my theory exactly when it happened!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Pain is one of those great mysteries of the human body and mind

For some, pain disappears with more activity, while for others, pain worsens with more activity.

Best to listen to your body but let your mind decide what is best for you.

Huh.....???! :confused::confused: :D

It all seriousness when I learned that I had a serious life threatening illness (GBS) that left my body paralyzed, it was my mind that took control of the situation and allowed me to recover quickly. In other words my body was telling me that something serious was going on but it was my mind that decided what to do

Hence the expression took on a whole new meaning for me

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It all seriousness when I learned that I had a serious life threatening illness (GBS) that left my body paralyzed, it was my mind that took control of the situation and allowed me to recover quickly. In other words my body was telling me that something serious was going on but it was my mind that decided what to do

Hence the expression took on a whole new meaning for me
I understand now. Before, it seemed just to be a contradiction in terms. I'm happy that you were able to overcome your illness.

Come to think of it, a friend of mine did something very similar to what you did. She also overcame her illness. :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.