• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it ok for a gay man to walk the Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Brian - dress in rainbows and wear feathers in your hair - who cares? No one - well, no one should. There are only humans on this planet - what type and what orientation is unimportant - well, it is important in that it shows our amazing diversity as a species.

All you have to do, Brian, is be who and what you are - it is a little sad that you should have to ask as it suggests that you have had some bad experiences - but don't worry, the Camino is grand, you will love it!!

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Brian, it's a sad indictment of the neanderthal attitudes still alas somewhat prevalent that you would feel sufficiently worried to even have to ask the question, assuming a 3% rate of gay men in the population ( seems a median of a few recent studies ), a 55% male ratio of peregrinos and about 230,000 peregrinos collecting a compostela this year then you will in all likelihood be only one of about 3,800 gay men this year completing the camino.
You will be no more or less prone to the problems and joys any other peregrino is liable to experience.

Buen camino

Seamus

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The guy who I walked my 3rd Camino with - Phil( and he won't mind me saying this) is gay. He has walked the Frances, with me from near Lisbon, the Via de la Plata and next year with another friend is walking from Iona in Scotland to Jeuraselem. He loves camino's and the friendship they bring out in people.

Walk it and find out for yourself. If you do have any negative experiences they will be far outweighed by the positive.
Buen Camino

We're all equal - any kind of sex is frowned upon in albergues. :)
Buen Camino!
And the same admonition to the heterosexuals on the Camino (since promiscuous sex is the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear reference to heterosexuals walking the Camino).:):)

I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances in September and wanted to ask if as a gay man that it's ok to do so?
Welcome to the Camino forum pilgrim friend and don't you worry about the camino it is fine too! Buen camino have a wonderful journey.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Never gave it a thought until we were sitting in a bar in Santiago and two of the women mentioned that they were surprised how many Lesbians had been walking--Huh! I sure didn't notice anything unusual about anyone! Who cares!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I cannot see the problem, but if you have to ask, might you already think there is one, and be putting obstacles in the way. I am sure that I walked the CF with one or two members of the LGBT community, ate with them and stayed in the same albergues as they did. It was never and issue for me - they all put their trousers on one leg at a time!

One of the most memorable evenings we had, was over a large bowl of Caldo soup in Galicia, shared with a gay man. The three of us getting to know each other and reflecting on what the Camino had meant to us. Everyone, without exception, should be welcome to participate in the good things these few years on earth have to offer us. Whether a middle aged husband and wife, or a gay man, or whoever. Be brave.

I'm planning to walk the Camino Frances in September and wanted to ask if as a gay man that it's ok to do so?
Indeed it is my friend.
If you have fear, fear nought.
If you have doubt, doubt not.
If your desire is to walk your Camino, walk it.
I met with nothing but friendship, trust, camaraderie, and solidarity,
and I'm Scottish.;)

Buen (prejudice free) Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Read "I'm Off Then" by Hape KereKeling. he wrote a nice account of his trip, and happens to be gay. It only became a factor when some lady explained to him she wasn't looking for a their friendship to go beyond friend, and he assured her he was not thinking otherwise as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Brian... Check out the wonderful link (under `Camino Frances blogs/photo albums´) "Portrait of a pilgrim -a multimedia documentary of the Camino de Santiago" by MichaelGeorgePhotography... it´s the best Camino blog I´ve read and the photos are amazing. Michael is gay.. his blog is heartwarming, sensitive, witty and definately worth a read..
Buen Camino.. Besos Bev Xxx

Of all the people I met on the Camino I don't think their sexual orientation ever came up.

A guy from California that I walked with asked if I wanted to share a hotel room rather than the albergue one night. We ended up sharing a double bed. Neither of us even thought for a minute to even ask the question. It is completely irrelevant.

I can appreciate though that it may be an issue of identity and that Spain is a very Catholic country (and often very conservative). As much as sexuality is not an issue it may be dependant on people not making it an issue. I have no idea how it would go down somewhere rural for a man to be talking about his male partner. People will naturally assume that you're heterosexual, many people simply assume that you have a wife or girlfriend back home. I can totally understand the urge to correct them and to not simply nod and go along with it, especially if you do have someone important in your life. Like I said, rural Spain can be very traditional and conservative. On the other hand, conversations along those lines rarely came up that I can think of. Maybe once or twice. People are also a lot more accepting now than they were so I may be doing rural Spaniards a disservice. It's a big assumption but I live in a rural area of the UK and people here generally are a lot more conservative than they are in cities.

With other pilgrims, I'd doubt it would make any difference generally. The people walking the Camino are like any cross section of society, some will care, some won't and in the vast majority of cases it will never ever be something that crops up.

i cannot imagine what you plan on doing that would make it 'not ok' (the same applies if you were heterosexual). that said, overt displays of homosexuality in small towns across spain may get some stares and perhaps some sort of animosity, but i doubt you will feel threatened.

Hi Brian, Thanks for asking the question. I had the same question last year before I walked the Camino. I met wonderful people all along the Camino - some knew I was gay and others didn't, but it didn't seem to matter one way or the other. Buen Camino!

And why not? Of course it's OK! Anne

Hape kirkling's book is a best seller in Germany. He is a celebrity, a comedian and gay. His book is one of the reasons so many Germans walk I suspect. It's a good read. "Ok then I'm off, losing and finding myself on the Camino de Santiago " or something close.
I shared a pilgrim's meal one night with 2 people who had given up alcohol. Wine or water is usually the option for beverage at meals so it is not remarkable if someone does or does not take alcohol. The interesting thing was that they were both surprised to meet someone with the same problem.

My point is that the Camino is wide enough to fit all sizes.

And the people you meet are, by and large, nicer than the people you meet at home. But there is always exceptions .....

Go pilgrim, follow your quest, let nothing stop you.........

Sent from my iPad

I have met a few people on the Camino who come under a rainbow umbrella . My experience of Camino's is since 2010, I did not read up prior to my 1st one had no historical or religious pattern to follow and when I walked the Norte from Santander was overwhelmed by the openness and friendliness that I encountered along the way.It is for everyone and this message was said in the middle ages long before I typed it here.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Brian when you are walking with lovely people and you all have a common bond, The Camino,I really think ones sexuality is a total irrelevance.

As I found out when I walked the Camino the colour of ones skin,ones age etc did not matter ,everyone just pulls together for the common good,let your only worry be your feet !!!!!

Buen Camino you are in for a feel treat.

Brian,

My wife an I met the most wonderful man during our Camino last year. We got separated and then met up with him again in Santiago. Had a few meals with him along the way. He was the most friendly and spiritual man we met along the way. After we returned home, another Camino friend sent us a link to a newspaper article in which he was interviewed. He mentioned my wife and I in his interview. He also mentioned that he was gay in that article. We never knew it during the Camino, but it wouldn't have made a difference. He was just all that the Camino is supposed to be about: a friendly and sincere person. He is also one of the Camino friends we have stayed in touch with since last year. I have friends at home that are gay, they are not my "gay friends", just friends that happen to be gay. I really don't think it will matter to most people during your Camino, but I'm also sure it will to some, just like everywhere else in the world. I hope you have as great a time as my wife and I did!!

Buen Camino

How would anyone know, why would anyone care. I am a straight male, I don't go around telling anyone my sexual preferences nor do I look at people and wonder what there's are or care.

God creates not me, I marvel at all of his creations.

Go and enjoy.

(however I have wondered if whiskey drinkers were welcome) :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would have never given this question any thought on the Camino. We are all human beings and that's all that matters (although I did see a couple of dogs with their own back packs doing the camino too).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm sometimes, to say the least, surprised by some of the questions i see here (i.e. 40-70 year old adults asking how much money they should take), but THIS question really does raise my eyebrows to a whole new level?

I can't even think of one reason why NOT! Seriously, if this question was never asked, i would not even be able to think of this question. :confused:

I can understand why someone who has not yet walked the Camino would be concerned. The Camino is a religious pilgrimage at its heart, and overall, Christianity has not been particularly welcoming to LGBT folks. It is completely reasonable for someone to wonder if the people who are motivated to make this pilgrimage would also be unwelcoming to LGBT people. Fortunately the people on the Camino are overall, much more open than the church. I am sure there are some close minded bigots, but they aren't the norm. I wouldn't worry at all.

When we walked, our Camino Family included a lesbian couple and a gay man. As far as I know, they didn't experience any bigotry or any issues related to orientation. One of the women was vegetarian, and that was a far larger obstacle.

For the people who ask how would anyone know that someone was gay - how about regular old getting-to-know-you conversation? When everyone at the table is talking about their spouses, children, etc. a gay man might mention his partner and voila, orientation has come up in conversation.

I'm sometimes, to say the least, surprised by some of the questions i see here (i.e. 40-70 year old adults asking how much money they should take), but THIS question really does raise my eyebrows to a whole new level?

I can't even think of one reason why NOT! Seriously, if this question was never asked, i would not even be able to think of this question. :confused:
I guess one has to walk a mile or 800 km in another's shoes to totally understand their concerns. When I was young I was bullied because I was gay; when I was in the military I would have been court martialed if I had been found out to be gay; I could have lost my job if found out to be gay; my partner and I could not purchase a home in both our names; etc. Yes, times have changed, but many gays still have valid concerns regarding acceptance. I hope my comments have helped to level off your eyebrows.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you all for your words of wisdom and support. You have all made the preparation for my journey a far less stressful place.
Brian.
its a real pity you should even have to ask this question,however i really believe that once you start on your journey you will love it, i think the camino is one of the most amazing places where rich,poor,doctors,labourers ,cooks teachers etc all ages all colours and all languages can meet and have something in common ie blisters ,tired feet great dinners, dont worry just smile and wish fellow travellers a buen camino and you will get the same back,have you decided when to go ?best wishes and relax all you need to think about is what to pack:)

The thing about the religious aspect of the pilgrimage - the raison d'etre of the whole thing. Yes, it is a Roman Catholic pilgrimage that all are invited to share. But the true blessing is that you just do not get any of those extreme non-denominational evangelist fundamentalist bible pounding hell and brimstone hating spittle mouthed you are all going to hell types out there, those awful terrible possessed people who give the good and gentle and kind people of Christianity such a bad name - well, I have never seen any.

Those inadequate, sad and misguided people tend to stay at home where they know which types of people to hate - and the Caminos are not about hate - behind all the help for those in trouble, the sharing of food, first aid supplies, a smile, a hug, that kindness, the laughter of good good people from many nations joined over a meal - behind all that is the same core, the same base - and it is love, not hate.

All is well - the Camino is a wonderful place ;)

Last edited:
I'm as queer as a three (US) dollar bill and don't look like the average woman (tall, tattooed, and buzz my hair very short). I was treated warmly and with grace, and was only met with occasional surprise in smaller towns, but that was probably because of my stumbling Spanish. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
LOL! How would it come up? And, as they say, "Who am I to judge?"

The worst behavior I found happening in the albergues was snoring. You don't snore, do you?? Trust me, you'll definitely get some angry looks for that.

As far as sharing rooms (mentioned earlier), I know of several instances where strangers decided to go halves on a double room to save money, get a private bath, etc. Same sex and male-female couples. How would one know if they were married, siblings, whatever? No one, as far as I could tell, thought of it as anything other than what it was - a way to get a good night's sleep cheaply.

As a side note about sex on the CF (I'm pretty sure there used to be a thread about this) the only instance I saw that remotely touched on the subject was one day in one of the albergues. I had snagged a room in a convent (Santo Domingo, I think). There was a young couple in the other room. How did I know they were there? The door was open and they were totally sacked out on the little single bed, snoring away (it was about 3 in the afternoon). They had just dropped their packs on their beds and collapsed.

Ah, young love.

Hi Brian. I'm straight and they better not try and stop me. Seriously everyone who wants to walk is welcome. I'm starting mine in sep 16. Hope to see you out there. Buen Camino

I have a body like a sagging mattress and a head like a coconut, and I am mid 60's now. If the definition of a lesbian is "attracted to women but trapped in the wrong body" then, well, it would appear that I am a lesbian - and I go on Camino ;)

Thanks for explaining the Roman Catholic churches position but please let that be an end to any off-topic (i.e. churches attitude to gay men and women) discussion which will only end in tears. Any more posts on that particular off-topic discussion will be deleted.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Last edited:
I am happy to have my post explaining the supportive position of the Catholic church deleted - in fact, will delete it myself

Buen Camino ;)

€60,-
Hallo Brian,
I would like to share my experiences during my 6 weeks on Camino ( april-may) this year.
Nobody asked me if I am gay. People asked me just where I am from.
Yes I am gay and I enjoyed my last camino very much.
I never thought that I can walk 3 caminos in one go ( SJPDP-Santiago, Porto-Santiago and Santiago-Finisterre).
The people I met were very kind en encourage me. Maybe some of them knew who I am, but they said nothing.
Trust me, it was something on the Camino that I can not explain it in words.
Buen Camino

PS: sorry for my bad english!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hallo Brian,
I would like to share my experiences during my 6 weeks on Camino ( april-may) this year.
Nobody asked me if I am gay. People asked me just where I am from.
Yes I am gay and I enjoyed my last camino very much.
I never thought that I can walk 3 caminos in one go ( SJPDP-Santiago, Porto-Santiago and Santiago-Finisterre).
The people I met were very kind en encourage me. Maybe some of them knew who I am, but they said nothing.
Trust me, it was something on the Camino that I can not explain it in words.
Buen Camino

PS: sorry for my bad english!

Frances and Portugees? One after the other? "Straight" away? ;)
So you went from SJPP to SdC and them to Porto by....bus, train plane and just started walking again to SdC and then Finisterre? hahaha:D Nice!!!

Don't tell me....after Finisterre back to SdC....again? :)

Of course! Even heterosexual men are allowed! This lesbian cannot wait! I start in Sept also. Maybe see you there.

Really???? Whatabout metrosexuals?

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back