• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it OK to have no plan at all?

Woozleywoo

Hello Pilgrims,

I've had some lovely feedback from pilgrims on another post. My question here concerns something different so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I am not much of a planner. In fact I was intending to just turn up in Seville on May 1st and start walking! I have given myself about 7 weeks to reach SdC. I have the CSJ guide and I figured that I would follow the shells and get advice along the way about places to stay, good spots for rest days etc. One of the things I am most looking forward to is not having a set plan and putting aside technology for a while - I don't intend to have a phone or access email.

I thought I'd see if anyone else takes this approach? Reading through other posts it seems that lots of you are very well organised and its given me a slight pang of concern about my own dis organised approach!

Is there anything that I really do need to plan?

Love and thanks to you all.

Jo

ps. any recommendations for a guide book?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I think that is the BEST plan!
Right now, you can probably find everything you need regarding lodging on the internet and don't need a guidebook. You may have difficulty finding a guide now anyway.

Somebody has an iPhone app, if you want to look at that.

My only caution would be to take more water than you think you might need. MermaidLillian walked much of the way and has a nice blog about it. There is a lot of info on the forum and web, probably enough to help you walk comfortably without a guide.

Woozleywoo said:
I am not much of a planner. In fact I was intending to just turn up in Seville on May 1st and start walking! I have given myself about 7 weeks to reach SdC. Is there anything that I really do need to plan?
You obviously have figured out that you may be able to reach SdC in about 49 days and at the same time what you might need to carry with you.
I myself did not prepare more on the various Caminos, because one of the fascinating aspects is that one doesn't know what the day will bring and where you'll end up to spend the night. One learns to find solutions to a problem, and Murphy's law will prove that whatever you plan ......etc. :) Buen camino :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Be free! Walking without plan is wonderful. Too much planning can eliminate spontaneity and lock one into a feeling of unnecessary obligation. It may push you to walk further than your body and spirit need and rob you of those special moments when someone invites you to stay or to chill out for a few hours. Sometimes when hiking the Caminos in Spain the only guide I carry is whichever Camino tourist brochure/map I find at a local Oficina de Tourisme. These booklets & pamphlets usually list distances, pueblos & albergues. I figure, if there's a Camino brochure there'll be arrows. Sometimes I hike with a tent sometimes I don't. I deal with problems when they occur, if they occur. Part of the fun is not knowing what a day will bring, if I lose the arrows then I backtrack.

Having said all that, when I first started hiking in 2003 I planned. I purchased guide books, surfed the internet for weeks beforehand and booked ahead if it seemed necessary (In the UK I always book ahead. In Europe I generally don't). It was a wonderful learning experience to do so. Now I'm more relaxed.

I have the gear, I have a guide, I go.

NB different rules apply when preparing for mountaineering and wilderness hikes
Cheers, Lovingkindness

It seems to me that you have a plan! Start point and time set, (maximum) duration target established, other resources gathered, understanding of how you will engage in-country resources, method for determining individual days activities.

In the project management world I work in, one might call that 'rolling wave' planning. Overall plan set, but the work to do detailed planning only undertaken when the conditions for a particular stage are clear enough for more detailed planning to make sense. There is no point planning to walk from, let us say Larrasoana, if you decided to stay at Zubiri overnight!

Not having a detailed schedule is quite different to not having a plan.

So tell people you do have a plan, that you will be doing your detailed planning each day or so, and you will let them know the details as they emerge :) .
Regards,

Hi Jo, I think it´s OK if you don´t plan anything!!! I think most of the people plan as they want to return in time if they´re working and so on... But if you´ve enough time, then it´s better not to plan and take it as it comes :D :D In this way there is a challange,too :D :D Wish you all the best for your camino!! I´m starting on the 15th of May from Sevilla and who knows if you´re staying
in many places longer than I might catch up with you before Santiago :D :D. Buen Camino!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is all very encouraging. Thank you everybody. I shall stick to my plan of not planning!

Buen Camino all. I hope to see some of you on the road.

Jo

Most people who walk the Camino have an idea of how far they want to walk, or are capable of walking, each day and if they stop earlier or continue on to the next village, that is OK.

If your non-planning includes not reading up on the history, legends, folk-lore, traditions of the path you are planning to walk, just remember that your understanding of what you see on the way will be based on what you know.

In The Art of Pilgrimage Phil Cousineau writes:

"One of the methods I use to 'call' my journey closer to me as my preparations are underway is to find myths, short stories, poetry, the sacred writing of the land I am about to visit. It helps me to begin the inner adjustment, the creating of a new world to explore. ... Timeless art is like that. It anticipates you. Without it there is no sacred journey."

Thank you Sillydoll that is helpful. I shall indeed read up on the history, legends, folk-lore etc.

I also wonder if Seville to Santiago is realistic in 7 weeks? I am reasonably fit but have not physically prepared for the walk. I have trekked in the Himalayas a number of times without complaint so I am not worried about walking without preparation, but I don't want to push myself too hard physically - I want to enjoy the walk and have time and space to experience it fully. My thinking was that I could hop on a bus if I find myself pushed for time. However, I would prefer to walk without breaking the journey like that, so I wonder if perhaps I should start slightly closer to Santiago. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Many thanks! x

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Isn't knowing if 7 weeks is adequate a bit of a plan?

A rigid plan is a doomed effort from the start, but do you really want NO plan?

Just as you plan a packing list, you might want a "map" of your intentions. How will you know if you are off course if you don't know the course?

The right amount of planning is better, in my experience, than NO planning. Chacun a son gout.

Your plan is OK, and 7 weeks is plenty of time.

I have 2 tools with me: The CSJ guide; good for plannng albergue stays, and a scetch of my route, planned here:
http://www.godesalco.com/plan

It will be 6 sheets of paper. I laminated them, 2 and 2. Gives you daily distances, elevations, where there are albergues. Enough info to plan en route, and weighs nothing.

And knowing som history is not bad :wink:

I'm actually walking the VdP now (at the albergue in Embalse de Alacantra, which is great) and I must contradict everyone above. The albergues on this route are often small and infrequently placed so it's fairly essential to know where you're going (just 1-2 days in advance) so you can have a backup plan if need be. I'm using Melanie's iPhone app, and a little booklet I created from notes from the forum, the Mundicamino/Eroski/Independent Trips websites (the latter is the one linked to the Triana Backpacker's Hostel in Sevilla's website). Note: all the Germans are using the little yellow guidebook, and everyone else is using printed out pages from the Eroski site.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Alipilgrim,
I completely agree that one should know where there are albergues and distances between: The VdlP is NOT the Frances, indeed. And especially in Extremadura where you are walking now: There are some very long passages where there is no support (Water, villages) in between. That is why I bring my CSJ guide and the godesalco plan with me. But other than that, I go as I please, and take the days as they come. I love the experience of not knowing what each day will bring to me on The Way. But yes, one should know what is facing you in terms of where one can get a bed, and how far it is to the places.

As I understand it, after Salamanca, the stuation is a bit better: Shorter distances between villages, and more albergues. At least, I have been able to figure out that I can have daily distances between 16-30 km./day, whch will suit me well, because I do not intend to make my walk a race: I want it to be (another) journey of joy and adventure.

Next Monday, April the 16th, I go to Malaga. Will then spend a couple of days in Gibraltar as a tourist :wink: , then take a train to Salamanca, and complete my VdlP from there (I did Sevilla-Salamanca last spring). Maybe I'll see you around! :)

Buen Camino :!:

Indeed I will! I have kept my young face :wink: but not my hat!

Will PM my phone no. to you.

Edit: Strange: Last year I walked for a week wth Heinz from Vancouver...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I leave tomorrow for Seville and will start walking on Friday. I am really nervous but excited too!
I have the CSJ guide and will follow Laurie's stages (unless the Camino changes things!)
I also have printed sheets from Gerald Kellys guide and Mundicamino so hopefully I will be ok.
Love to hear how others are going on their way.
Buen Camino to all,Pray for me,please?
Heather

Heather, please check out the Eroski site and the Independent Trip websites. Both are very current (latter written last year), easy enuf just to make some written notes in your guide. Weather so far (besides yesterday and today) has been cold, with temps near freezing in morning and albergues very cold. I bought myself a wool hat in Caceres and regret not buying the leggings! I hope it's better for you!

Alex, I PM'd you back. So far I'm the only native English speaking pilgrim besides a couple I met day 1&2.

Buen Camino All!

Eroski looks excellent but it is in Spanish. I have tried Google translate but it comes out jumbled. There is no button for English on the website. I would be grateful for any advice alipigrim or anyone.
Somewhat computer illiterate!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Heather - don't worry, you will do just fine! Have confidence that all will work out: the "Camino way", which means that it might not be as planned!

I walked the Via de la Plata last July from Sevilla to Zamora and as far as arrows go: look up, down and everywhere. They have placed those darn yellow arrows in some of the oddest places!

How great that you are off. Buen Camino.

LT

Thanks LT for your words of encouragement. I just had last minute panic today. I know I will be fine.
Thanks to all on this forum. I have learned so much from being here.
Catch up when I can.
Heather

What a Brilliant and cunning plan, to have no plan - I like that plan !

Unlike other plans it cannot fail - absolutely foolproof! I like it. I like it very much :wink:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I set out from Caceres pm 26th April having walked from Seville to Caceres a couple of years ago. I am getting excited again and have done some basic planning as, for me, that is part of the experience. I hope to get to Santiago on 21st May!. I have decided to go on the Ourense route and am slightly worried that I will not be able to find accomodation of some sort at Castro Dozen. Can anybody advise me on this?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I completed V de LP in mid to late March, the distance between accom can force long days, get some basic guide and spend 10 mins each night planning a day or 2 ahead; I completed it in 32 days started walking Feb 17: 70per cent of time alone in albergues, but i enjoyed it, then done Muxia Finnesterre; and now sitting in a Gite in Cahors after doing Le Puy to Cahors done the other part last year;
My advice do it just plan a day or day ahead and dont worry about things; I dont speak Spanish or French meet hardly any english speakers but enjoyed the experience; allow it to be an adventure and every 2 to 3 hours sit by the track take off boots socks and eat and admire the view and life itself,: I GO HME TOMORROW AFTER 8 WEEKS/ cant find the full stop on this keyboard mabey it is symbolic: Do it and Enjoy it:

He, he...

Nalod, you give good advice! Fortunately I can speak a little Spanish; enough to get me a bed and food/drinks, as well as asking for directions/bus/train stations, etc. Just enough to get by. And I bring with me a pocket parlour, as well as the CSJ guide and printouts from the godesalco site.

6 more days, and then off to Malaga...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good luck Alexwalker on your Monday start, my first night I stayed in Triana Backpackers hostel Seville it is a lovely place and cheap for a city. The Via de costs so little it is by far the cheapest Camino ive done. O the bread on the southern part can be crap but gets better as you go north.

I brought a full weight Nikon 80 35mm camera wearing a harness all day every day now editing photos may have exhibition (will see).

I just walked this route in March and agree with those who suggest having at least a plan a day or two before. Make sure you check with others/a guide/map/internet the night before to know how far the next albergue is, if it is opened, etc. As others have said, it is NOT like the Frances, there are not villages every 5 km. so some days you have to walk rather long distances and carry all water and food for the day. So, at least have a plan the night before each day's walk so you don't get stuck without water.

viarejo,
your advice is very sensible and wise. All walkers should pay attention to these issues on the VdlP. As said: This is not the Frances...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
great attitude Jo
and if you miss the first shell at the cathedral in Seville
and 3 days later get to a town marked Cadiz
dont cross over the big pond
turn around and retrace your steps
thatll be a really authentic and adventurous camino
buen attitude

Thank you everybody for your advice. I have been home for a week now having walked from Seville to Santiago and can confirm that walking alone without schedule or planning is a most excellent way to walk! It took me 46 days, walking at my own pace and I loved every moment.

Go well pilgrims! with love x

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Congratulations, and Thanks so much for coming back and letting us know. I think that is why this forum is so useful and addictive, I want to hear how others did, see their photos etc. I have the CSJ guide, printouts from godesclo ? and other bits and pieces too. Am going to read some history, any recommendations ? will check out posts soon.

I am also going on my first trip and the more I researched about it the more I wish I hadn't. Now I find myself making lists and checking things off which is not totally a bad thing but I feel like Im getting too prepared. The one thing Im glad is that by reading forums, articles and etc I realized how overcrowded, touristy and dirty the French Way is and decided to take the longer but quieter Camino del Norte. I think having an open mind and no expections are the key to a enjoyable camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My plan is more like Dumbo's feather, comforting but not particularly useful. You will be glad you did the reading and preparing. It will not be wasted time. Buen camino.

The number of people on the route varies. They are starting to drop now, end of August, as the Spanish school holidays are coming to an end. The numbers apparently go up in September with mature foreign pilgrims.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.