• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it ok to walk in a tank top?

Kimmy

Time of past OR future Camino
CF summer-06, SJPP to Burgos Sept-13, Burgos to Astorga Sept-14 (Astorga to Santiago de Compostela sept 15)
I am leaving for a short camino of ten days in the end of next week and am finalizing my packing. More or less the only Item I have note completely decided yet is what to walk in when the day is heating up. The past few weeks I have tried a few different shirts - short sleeved shirt, short sleeved functional shirt, long sleeved shirt and a functional tank top with built in bra and realized that the most comfortable to walk in when it is getting warmer is definitely the tank top. Both the short sleeved versions of shirts made me feel sweaty, itchy under my arms as well as smelly after just a short period of walking.

So what do you think - is it ok to walk the camino in a tank top and trekking shorts? Obviously I would put on a shirt if I was to enter a church or similar place. As I remember it I mostly wore a tank top and trekking shorts during my last camino but it is now more than 7 years ago and I don't really remember.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just remember sun block for the exposed bits. I recall one September afternoon watching an English peregrina pass me, with blazing red shoulders...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will be noticed, and tank tops are not considered appropriate in churches and chapels if you will be dropping into them. Make sure your pack straps are comfortable over the tank top shoulder straps. Eight hours of rubbing could be uncomfortable.

Buen camino!

I have seen all types of tops worn by women, tank tops included.

As some of already stated you will want to wear some sunscreen during the warm September days and have something to slip over when you enter churches and even bars and cafes, it you don't want unwarranted attention.

Personally I find a loose fitting long sleeve top offers more protection from the sun and elements, and based on the experience of those traveling and living in hot sunny climates, is actually cooler to wear than a short sleeve or tank top.

Remember if it gets that warm for you - dunk some cold water on the yourself and top to cool yourself down.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input. I have been walking several 25, 30 and even 40 km stretches in a tank top this summer so I know how it works with my back pack and the need for protecting my shoulders (and the rest of my body) from the sun. I am more than prepared and last time I walked in July so I know what it means when not protecting the skin enough. I just do not want to offend anyone with my clothing. After all the Camino is something else than a hike in the neighborhood

I will think about it all again and if I bring the tank top I will bring a short + a long sleeved shirt as well and let the weather, mood and situation decide what to wear.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for your input. I have been walking several 25, 30 and even 40 km stretches in a tank top this summer so I know how it works with my back pack and the need for protecting my shoulders (and the rest of my body) from the sun. I am more than prepared and last time I walked in July so I know what it means when not protecting the skin enough. I just do not want to offend anyone with my clothing. After all the Camino is something else than a hike in the neighborhood

I will think about it all again and if I bring the tank top I will bring a short + a long sleeved shirt as well and let the weather, mood and situation decide what to wear.
I am bringing one tank top!

You are bringing one tank top in total as walking clothes?

"the most comfortable to walk in when it is getting warmer is definitely the tank top"

Ignore any other advice than this, that you provide for yourself -- except, just make sure you have something for the not-so-hot times too !!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
By all means bring a tank top, just be careful about the humid hot weather. Use sun cream to avoid sunburn.

Buen camino.

Oh yes, I am bringing only a minimum (one tank top, one short sleeve, one long sleeve and a summer dress for evenings. That's basically it. I still have my previous camino's dumping of stuff in memory... ;-)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How many tank tops did you see on your last camino? That would be a good guide for you on this one.

I'm glad you asked this question--I have heard over and over that covering up is "cooler" than wearing something like a tank top. This simply has not been my experience. Maybe my long-sleeve tops are not some secret special material that magically cools (?!) but for me--I cannot bear extra fabric on my upper body in hot temperatures. Skirts are okay because of the updraft :)
I wonder if the covering up head-to-toe camp are people who generally do not run extremely hot, but more in the range of normal. I run extremely hot 24/7 and have since my first memories of childhood. The only time I am cold "internally" is when I'm sick. Of course I wear a coat when it gets below freezing but I am sweating as soon as I get inside again.
My concern about tank tops is the chafing and sunburn.

I have been doing a lot of long distance walking this past summer and have really tried different clothing solutions and it always comes down to that the sports tank top is the coolest and most comfortable of all choises. Also it has a very sporty fit and will give no sunburnt cleavage (which is very good in many ways, I think). Left is the shoulders and other's opinions that it may not be an appropriate garment. I suppose a good midway solution is to use it when walking and to put on a shirt over it when entering churches and bars etc. I really have no wish to dress "sexy" or attract the opposite sex in other ways than with my sparkling intelligence and very deep soul ;-).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm glad you asked this question--I have heard over and over that covering up is "cooler" than wearing something like a tank top. .

It depends on what you mean by hot. Hot can be above 40C. That's not unusual in southern Europe. At those temps your body is cooler then the surrounding air. A light weight lose bit of clothing can keep you cooler . Stick to things like linen.

I just spent the first two weeks of August on the Camino (St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos). I had been concerned about propriety for the Camino and our further two weeks in other areas of Spain. It didn't appear to be an issue. We saw one woman walking in a pair of shorts that were tucked up and left her cheeks exposed...can't figure out how that wasn't uncomfortable! Since you already appear to be respectful of visiting churches etc. I don't see an issue. I wore short sleeved quick dry tops for hiking and had a couple of tank tops for the evening. I wish I could stand a sports tank or sleeveless shirt for hiking but my pack rubbed. I can barely stand short sleeves on my arms in heat never mind anything longer. I think it's just the fabric against my arms that gives me the perception of being even hotter. I guess we all heat and cool differently! Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I like to have my arms free of clothing when exercising. Extreme heat was not really an issue in April/May this year on the camino Frances, and I mostly wore short sleeve merino wool T-shirts. But on a couple of occasions it was so hot that I changed into a vest that I was using for evenings and sleeping. I didn't have an issue with chafing, but I wore a 'buff infinity' scarf around my neck which I could tuck under my pack straps to create some padding.

Don't be worried about exposing a bit of flesh in Spain. I live in southern Spain, inland, and the locals routinely wear the tiniest shorts and tops at every given opportunity, which doesn't seem to be a problem for any generation.

Just wear what is comfortable for the conditions you are walking in and be aware of the need for sun screen.

.......... Camino Frances with my daughter - http://magwood.wordpress.com

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am leaving for a short camino of ten days in the end of next week and am finalizing my packing. More or less the only Item I have note completely decided yet is what to walk in when the day is heating up. The past few weeks I have tried a few different shirts - short sleeved shirt, short sleeved functional shirt, long sleeved shirt and a functional tank top with built in bra and realized that the most comfortable to walk in when it is getting warmer is definitely the tank top. Both the short sleeved versions of shirts made me feel sweaty, itchy under my arms as well as smelly after just a short period of walking.

So what do you think - is it ok to walk the camino in a tank top and trekking shorts? Obviously I would put on a shirt if I was to enter a church or similar place. As I remember it I mostly wore a tank top and trekking shorts during my last camino but it is now more than 7 years ago and I don't really remember.
for me what is important is the spirit in which you walk it not what you wear,. mind you i think high heels would be very uncomfortable

Thanks for all support in this question. Feels good to know I will not be alone with tank top in the Camino, should the weather permit.

Nico, thanks for your reply. linen is definitely more comfortable than some other fabrics.
it can get quite warm where I live in Europe (humid and up to 40, thankfully usually not more than a week each summer) and I spend a lot of time in S.Italy in the summer holidays, so I'm not unfamiliar with warmth. I found Madrid to be pleasantly dry, so I was fine in August. But I wear tanks and skirts and a pashmina in my bag for churches.
I simply cannot deal with my arms covered when it's warm out. I can be pouring sweat when it's 20 degrees, too, if I have long sleeves.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.