• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to find a map

ShellsG

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sept/Oct. 2015)
I am not a huge planner, I prefer to let things be as they will be (in most cases). I have booked a flight to Biarritz on Aug. 28 and may or may not travel to SJPP that day or the next. I haven't book accommodations in SJPP ... will I have difficulty finding a place for a couple of nights. I have accommodation for the 30 at Orrison. Thats my planning.

I had written down lists of recommended alberques but then realized that I could stop every few kilometres to take advantage of them. I started a list of best places for communal dinners ... and I could stop even more frequently. I started a list about things/sights that I should not miss ... and could stop every few kilometres, I started a list of the worst bedbug infestations .... and could still stop every few kilometres to avoid them. Then I took all my lists and threw them out and decided that with all the great recommendations I was going to be okay in hitting some great alberques, some great communal dinners and some great sights and if I took my lists and tried to do it all then I was going to need 6 months.

So, is it possible that a map exists that I can highlight all these places and put them into perspective for me?? I need a visual aid so that I can actually put all these things into some type of order for my brain and then if and when I decide to stop for the day I can have a small idea of what is available to me.

Hope this makes sense ....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Can understand where you are at but think it is probably an impossible task....guide books such as Brierley although have not seen myself ......are useful....I just used a fairly simple one....the best advice I received at this stage of my planning .....was let go and just turn up....I did and loved every minute.
you will never know ....until the morning of each day how you feel and how far you think you might want to walk.....down side of booking ahead.... we spent over an hour in a almost derelict church that was being restored....didn't get to sleep where we thought we might .....but had a unplanned lovely experience instead. Buen Camino

While I have enjoyed reading the Brierly guide I don't see myself taking it with me .... I like that the maps show the "green" routes so that is why I may just tear those maps out and take them, certainly am not following the "stages". They may provide enough information for me

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know exactly what you mean about the lists! I have the Brierley maps-only book because I like to have a paper version. The maps are conveniently arranged on 33 pages with just enough information to provide general guidance (after all, that's what is was designed for!) Whenever I read about some must-see or must-avoid feature, I open it to the page and mark it on the map in pencil. The book is a more than "maps only" and therefore not as small or light as I might like but it is easy to use and I can customize it to suit me.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would get the Michelin guide, real maps and easy to mark with the info you have. Its small and light, hasn't been updated since 2012 for albergues but you can get all that info in the Resources Section here.
I saw more pilgrims using this guide this year than any other.

Can understand where you are at but think it is probably an impossible task....guide books such as Brierley although have not seen myself ......are useful....I just used a fairly simple one....the best advice I received at this stage of my planning .....was let go and just turn up....I did and loved every minute.
you will never know ....until the morning of each day how you feel and how far you think you might want to walk.....down side of booking ahead.... we spent over an hour in a almost derelict church that was being restored....didn't get to sleep where we thought we might .....but had a unplanned lovely experience instead. Buen Camino
This church was not in the guide book but on the outskirts of a small village....and the new owners were very welcoming and full of enthusiasm for their growing project....it was one of the nicest parts of my camino....I would suggest you get a guide book and make some notes in that....and then in the evenings when you look to see where you are going the next day...you will have little reminders of what you wanted to see.
The Camino is full of surprises....and has a cast of thousands ..... It is these people as much as the places that will make your Camino special. It can never be the same twice....just as no day is the same as the previous....apart from the eat, sleep, walk that is. Have a fabulous time...Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would get the Michelin guide, real maps and easy to mark with the info you have. Its small and light, hasn't been updated since 2012 for albergues but you can get all that info in the Resources Section here.
I saw more pilgrims using this guide this year than any other.
I will look into this guide and the Brierly maps only book. I have to admit, being over 50, part of the problem with the Brierly guide is I find the print really hard to read.

I will look into this guide and the Brierly maps only book. I have to admit, being over 50, part of the problem with the Brierly guide is I find the print really hard to read.
I used the Rother walking Guide....also over 50 and visually challenged....the print size is good.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The new Brierley maps-only has got a bit of ruled writing space opposite the maps so you can add your own info by (or even on) the relevant map page.
That is almost exactly what I am hoping for .... maps and a place to make my own notes. It becomes a lovely souvenir after and if I can't read it I have no one to blame but myself !! Thank you.

I used Brierley in 2012 (maps only edition). In 2014 I took "A Village to Village Guide to Hiking the Camino De Santiago: Camino Frances: St Jean - Santiago - Finisterre" and loved it. I marked it up before we left, with notes and reminders, and used it daily as a reference and a place for notes and memorabilia. Bigger and heavier that Brierley full edition, but more informative for me, with better maps.

I have not used the Michelin guide, but will likely get one before my next Camino.
Although I'll likely not carry a map next time, but rather a comprehensive electronic list or iphone app.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know exactly what you mean about the lists! I have the Brierley maps-only book because I like to have a paper version. The maps are conveniently arranged on 33 pages with just enough information to provide general guidance (after all, that's what is was designed for!) Whenever I read about some must-see or must-avoid feature, I open it to the page and mark it on the map in pencil. The book is a more than "maps only" and therefore not as small or light as I might like but it is easy to use and I can customize it to suit me.
Hi Cclearly, what is the name of Brierley's maps only guide? Seeing that I'm on my own, sounds like it might be worth my taking it along, even though I have the regular guide. What do you think?

what is the name of Brierley's maps only guide? Seeing that I'm on my own, sounds like it might be worth my taking it along, even though I have the regular guide. What do you think
I would definitely not suggest taking both. In the "maps" version, every stage has a map page (exactly same maps as in full version) and a facing page with the distances, elevation diagram, and one paragraph of description in English, French and Spanish.. The map book is about half as thick as the full one. You can see sample pages in the listing on Amazon.

I like having the briefer version accessible while walking. Any further research or reading can be done on my phone in the evening or at stops with wifi.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I would definitely not suggest taking both. In the "maps" version, every stage has a map page (exactly same maps as in full version) and a facing page with the distances, elevation diagram, and one paragraph of description in English, French and Spanish.. The map book is about half as thick as the full one. You can see sample pages in the listing on Amazon.

I like having the briefer version accessible while walking. Any further research or reading can be done on my phone in the evening or at stops with wifi.
You are absolutely right. I just went on line and found the Maps book with an option to look inside. I definitely don't need both. I'm very happy with the one I have. Thanks Cclearly.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back