• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to finish the whole Camino within 21days/25da

yuentears

Because of the starting of semester in summer, i only have 3-4 weeks to finish The Camino before the semester start. Is it possible to finish the whole Camino within 21days? Anyone have such experience? How about 25 days? Give some comments please. =]

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Most people would take longer than that. Even if you are very fit, you could well find that extra-long daily distances over repeated days would cause you painful blisters. I presume you are thinking about starting from SJPP or Roncesvalles, but there is no real 'whole Camino'- there are many starting points possible. Maybe you could plan to either start somewhere closer to Santiago, or to 'skip' some of the route.There is an online planner that could help you work out an itinerary with a more manageable daily distance in the time you have available. http://www.godesalco.com/plan/frances
Margaret

thank you Margaret! yes! i mean starting from Roncesvalles. Thank you for your suggestion. I think i have to skip some of the route.
James

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
While I am sure it can be done, I for one wouldnt want to. Last year was my first Camino, and I soon realised that the journey is so much more than the destination.

If you are intent on reaching santiago, the do a mild timescheduel for this if you make it faster you can walk on to the coast or take a day of...

setting out with the stress of having to do a certain distance every day makes stressfull what shouldnt be stressfull and it limits the freedom to experience the company of fellow pilgrims and explore places of interest, or just taking it slow if it takes ones fancy...

this year I myself start in SJDP and from there who knows, actually I know so little that I haven't even been able to figure from which airport i should get my return flight...

Yes. It is quite possible. Everything depends on your age, your physical development, health condition and moral. Twenty miles per day was normal daily marching distance for the armies of Henry V in XVth century and Napoleon in XIXth. And we should take in to consideration that the soldiers of those days were hungry and sick very often.

Conclusion, if you are younger than fifty five, good sportsman, don’t have some chronic diseases then go ahead and God bless you.

Sincerely,
Oleg

Yes,

I am sixty-four yers old. It took me 21 days and a few hours last September. It was hard but not too difficult. I walked from 6am to 4pm each day, so I could have done it a bit quicker if necessary by walking further at the end of the day.

I did it to raise money for injured UK soldiers. See

http://www.justgiving.com/thepilgrim

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yuentears:

Yes, but it will not, imo, be very enjoyable. You are talking about averaging 32-38km a day. Why not just start in Burgos versus Roncesvalles. That would be about 24km per day. A much more enjoyable pace and room for dealing with injuries.

Ultreya,
Joe

I disgree with the last post. I walked the whole way and I throughly enjoyed my Camino, walked alone, learned a lot and, suffered no blisters or other injuries. Do not let others tell you if you will enjoy it or not, make that decision yourself.

Windswept

yuentears said:
Is it possible to finish the whole Camino within 21days?
Which Camino are you thinking of? Where do you intend to start?
Some racers manage between 30 and 35 km a day. Average! Others feel more comfortable walking an average of between 20 and 25 km. Depending upon weather and terrain conditions, that's a fair distance. To start from Burgos (Camino Francés) might be feasible.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Windswept:

I am not telling anyone what to do, just expressing an opinion. I agree that the walk can be done in 21 days. That said, in my opinion, the walk would be more enjoyable at a slower pace or shorter route based on time allowed. I applaud you on your Camino and the cause for which you walked. Someone also did it in 9 days.

If one would want to stop and smell the roses, visit sites along the way, spend some time with new acquaintances, deal with injuries or just choose to take a break a slower pace might afford them that opportunity.

I offer my opinion of a slower pace on a shorter route as an option to your recommendation, not a mandate.

Ultreya,
Joe

The Anti-Dawdler, Paco Peregrino, completed in 11 days, covering about 70k per day. An email describing the details was posted on a fence below Rabanal del Campo. I salute him as my Great Antagonist.

Paco and I have never met. That may be for the best. Needless to say, we have issues.

I met a guy at Acebo(Cyril from Ireland) who claimed to have walked it in 14 days and was making the return journey back to SJPDP when I came across him, the most he walked in one day was 75km. The other pilgrims at the albergue either thought he was telling porkies, mad or both, some admired his walking speed.

The following morning when we were all going on our way, he put his coat on, attached to it were two swivable wires with sponges for mopping his brow as he walked, very similar in effect to windscreen wipers.

€83,-
Yes, it is - I took 20 days from SJPP, walking on average for 7.5 hours per day

Before the Camino, I was able to walk close to 18 miles in close to 4 hours - so if you can do that, you have a good chance

It will improve your chances if you travel very light

All kilometers are not the same.

Mood, injury, sleep, weather, hills, companions, scenery all have an impact on how far I walk per day. Some days 20 kilometers can seem like an almost impossibe challenge. Some days 40ks seem like a walk in the park.

I like to be sure I have some flexibility in my schedule to handle the unexpected rough spots or a needed rest day or two.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
windswept said:
I disgree with the last post. I walked the whole way and I throughly enjoyed my Camino, walked alone, learned a lot and, suffered no blisters or other injuries. Do not let others tell you if you will enjoy it or not, make that decision yourself.

Windswept
And with a 6am start, were you also one of those who woke the whole albergue at an unreasonable hour to walk in the dark, ruining every other pilgrim's enjoyment, or did you choose to stay in private accommodation?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An old man in St. J P de P wished me Bue Courage and Buen Camino in 2008.
He also told me that i would walk as i lived.

As we had walked from Le Puy he asked how i found the country people in France .
Wonderful, helpful and kind i said.

You will find people are a mirror of yourself when you travel , he said.
Walk how you wish but as i entered this world in a hurry i can assure you i am going as slow as possible towards the other end,

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back