• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to pay for a meal at an albergue you're not staying at?

Michio

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés - Logroño to León (2018), SJPP to Logroño (2019)
Being a vegetarian I like to plan ahead a little bit where my next meal is concerned. I notice that Albergue El Palo de Avellano in Zubiri is meant to do a nice vegetarian pilgrim's meal but I've booked a room in a different albergue for the night that doesn't do evening meals. Do albergues only provide meals for guests or can others pay for a meal even if they're not staying there?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Being a vegetarian I like to plan ahead a little bit where my next meal is concerned. I notice that Albergue El Palo de Avellano in Zubiri is meant to do a nice vegetarian pilgrim's meal but I've booked a room in a different albergue for the night that doesn't do evening meals. Do albergues only provide meals for guests or can others pay for a meal even if they're not staying there?
El Palo de Avellano sells the dinner ticket separate from the price of the bed, so I think that it's possible. But go there and buy your ticket when you arrive in town. Don't wait until dinner time.

I do not think that there is a general rule for this. It is at the discretion of the persons who run the albergue. If you want to be sure, call ahead or just go in and ask when you arrive in town.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks guys, I'll pop in and ask when I get there. Walked from Logrono to Leon last year and mostly ate where I stayed barring the odd day here and there but I booked a place for Zubiri and only belatedly realised it didn't do meals, only breakfasts. Thanks again.

Thanks guys, I'll pop in and ask when I get there. Walked from Logrono to Leon last year and mostly ate where I stayed barring the odd day here and there but I booked a place for Zubiri and only belatedly realised it didn't do meals, only breakfasts. Thanks again.
Most of the albergues that I've stayed at don't offer dinner, and the breakfasts are usually not worth having.

Most of the albergues that I've stayed at don't offer dinner, and the breakfasts are usually not worth having.
I must have been lucky with the albergues I stayed at but I wholeheartedly agree about the breakfasts. After the first couple of days of paying for old bread, jam, and weak coffee I just went out and walked till I found a cafe.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am sure if you let them know a couple of hours in advance about your case, they will be delighted, they are a private business and their purpose is to sell products/meals, only you might want to warn them a couple of hours in advance about your interest and about being vegetarian

I am sure if you let them know a couple of hours in advance about your case, they will be delighted, they are a private business and their purpose is to sell products/meals, only you might want to warn them a couple of hours in advance about your interest and about being vegetarian
Apparently not all of them are delighted to sell meals. We were refused a dinner at a vegetarian albergue even with plenty of notice.

Apparently not all of them are delighted to sell meals. We were refused a dinner at a vegetarian albergue even with plenty of notice.
Interesting point... I have been to El Palo, and I understand the mean BUSINESS in the way they treat pilgrims, they are not a charity, that I can tell, they have a professional kitchen and feel like a small (overpriced) hotel to me - again, this is my personal impression, they are kind and clean too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Perhaps they are not supposed to sell meals to non-guests when they are not registered as a restaurant? I think they may need a special licence if they want to serve and sell food to clients who are not staying at their albergue.

Last edited:
I can see some places like Albergue Verde which reliesoon volunteers, and obviously the parochial donativo albergues not offering meals to those who stay there, but El Palo de Avellano is definitely more businesslike, so I think that there's a good chance to buy the dinner there

There's also the issue of security. Some albergues, the CSJ run albergue in Rabanal springs to mind, won't allow any non-resident to enter their albergue, even if you have friends staying there who will vouch for you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There's also the issue of security. Some albergues, the CSJ run albergue in Rabanal springs to mind, won't allow any non-resident to enter their albergue, even if you have friends staying there who will vouch for you.
As I recall, the dining room at El Palo de Avellano was rather separate from the dorms.

This may explain it although they may have had other reasons, of course: An albergue in Uterga/Navarra - Camino del Perdón - points out on their website that they are the only albergue in town that has a bar licence and people can drink and eat there if they are just passing through town. They add that if you do this in albergues without such a licence, you are supporting the shadow economy and the laziness of the administration who "do not enough to end this scourge".

So it's both practised and against the law.

Last edited:
It didn't seem to be because of a rule or law - they said they reserved their food for those who stayed there.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
they said reserved their food for those who stayed there
I wouldn't get bent out of shape because of something like that. As @Kathar1na points out, an albergue is not a restaurant, unless they have a license to be one. So no doubt the place that turned you away buys ingredients and plans meals only around the numbers of people who stay there in order to reduce both expense and waste.

I can see some places like Albergue Verde which reliesoon volunteers, and obviously the parochial donativo albergues not offering meals to those who stay there, but El Palo de Avellano is definitely more businesslike, so I think that there's a good chance to buy the dinner there
Just to follow up, I emailed them and they said it would be fine so long as I booked it before 6pm. Seems the Ogi Berri cafe in Zubiri also cater to vegetarian/vegan too so Zubiri's already looking like a good stop.

Is that a recent rule? I recall a group of local dignitaries being given a guided tour which included the two dormitories! Mind you one of them was a representative of the Bishopric of Bierzo and they do "own" the building.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is that a recent rule? I recall a group of local dignitaries being given a guided tour which included the two dormitories! Mind you one of them was a representative of the Bishopric of Bierzo and they do "own" the building.

Well it's possible they just didn't like the look of me and introduced a temporary byelaw :rolleyes: This was in 2017. I can confirm that I am yet to have a bishopric bestowed upon me.

Well it's possible they just didn't like the look of me and introduced a temporary byelaw :rolleyes: This was in 2017. I can confirm that I am yet to have a bishopric bestowed upon me.
"This is not the refugio you are looking for . . . " ;)

Yes, you can book a meal there if they have room. I'm in Burgos, and that's usually been the case since the albergue would like to fill its tables. It's not normally required that you eat at the private or municipal albergues if they serve a meal, though sometimes, such as the parrish Albergue Emaús I'm staying at in Burgos, want you to participate in the community.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I know you have your answer but just thought I would add, we stayed at El Palo last year (first day of the season). I enjoyed a nice vegetarian meal (they made me a veggie burger, huge salad to share and cant remember what else but the food was generous). The table of four next to us were stayng at another albergue that did not sell dinner - so yes, at this place you can, not sure about others along they way.

I wouldn't get bent out of shape because of something like that. As @Kathar1na points out, an albergue is not a restaurant, unless they have a license to be one. So no doubt the place that turned you away buys ingredients and plans meals only around the numbers of people who stay there in order to reduce both expense and waste.
I don't see what's "bent out of shape" by pointing out that not all abergues are delighted to sell meals to anyone.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back