Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to travel the last 100kms with a 3.5 yr old

Melanomamum

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo (2016)
Hi - I very much want to do a leg of the Camino with my son this year. We are hoping to travel in Sept. He will be 3.5 yrs old then, weighing approx 17kgs. I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice in which route would best suit us? I will be travelling alone with him and plan on carrying him (backpack) and him walking parts of the easier sections. I would prefer to stay in hotels, I know my limits without a good sleep!!! :). We would use luggage transfers as well. I have stage 4 melanoma so very much want to experience this with my child while I am well and able to do this. Any advice welcome.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All things are possible! The Camino Frances from Sarria has accommodations about every 5km, so that you can pick the length of your day. Also, there are a lot of private accommodations -- hostales, hoteles, and pensions -- in that stretch. Check booking.com for locations and prices. Have fun planning! I hope it all comes together for you. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Melananomamum (interesting name) - yes, there are many ways to approach it as stated above - have you watched the movie "6 ways to Santiago?" It could be useful. Also when I did the Camino Frances, there was a couple with a child in tow, she only got out of the pram at places her parents chose to stop, I never saw her walk far so my guess is she would be around 3 years old. Just make sure you have a local sim card and the taxi number in case you need a ride. Did you notice we are almost neighbours?
Buen Camino:)

Hi - I very much want to do a leg of the Camino with my son this year. We are hoping to travel in Sept. He will be 3.5 yrs old then, weighing approx 17kgs. Any advice welcome.
My advice would be a big cardboard box, then post him to Ivar, who looks after all sorts of things for pilgrims.....:)

Hi - I very much want to do a leg of the Camino with my son this year. We are hoping to travel in Sept. He will be 3.5 yrs old then, weighing approx 17kgs. I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice in which route would best suit us? I will be travelling alone with him and plan on carrying him (backpack) and him walking parts of the easier sections. I would prefer to stay in hotels, I know my limits without a good sleep!!! :). We would use luggage transfers as well. I have stage 4 melanoma so very much want to experience this with my child while I am well and able to do this. Any advice welcome.

Lots of great advice here already. Sarria to Santiago would be easiest with regular accommodation at relatively short distances but others are doable with some research. When we walked the Camino last April/May there were several pilgrim families along much of the Way. One couple with four young children, one still in a pram, walked the entire Francés. Everyone helped to lift the pram and play with the youngsters. To our delight, we caught up with the family in Santiago, all getting their Compostelas.

I admire your heart and courage to undertake this wondrous journey. You're making all the right decisions, using luggage transfers and walking short distances. I see that you're from Australia so the flight over and back is the worst of it. Don't know how much you've travelled before but airlines do cater well for youngsters.

So sorry to hear your melanoma diagnosis. You don't say (and certainly don't need to disclose here) how well you are managing your health situation. The only other advice that I would give is to look at what travel insurance options are available for you both.

Oh and ask all the advice that you need to on this forum as there is much knowledge and support available.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We saw a family with 2 little ones. They walked at their speed and strolled gently along. If you can also carry your son then it should be good and private acommodation is available. Would you be booking to make sure of a room, or else be prepared to taxi off the Camino and back to the same point next day if need be?

Absolutely you can do it! More importantly, your 3.5 year old can do it to, and by do it I mean *WALK* it. A three year old can walk 5km. Go at his pace. Let him rest when he wants to. Most 3 year olds don't want to rest for long. Give yourself lots of time so that you only need to walk 5km a day. If you and he want to go farther, you can. If he walks, you might be able to carry the gear for both of you (I carried my six year old's stuff - but I was not unwell). Take photos and/or keep a journal along the way. A journal is great coz your wee man might scribble in it - or you can write down choice little things he says. It will be a precious memory.

Bravo and good for you!

and yes, and depending on the month you will most likely see other 4 year olds!

large sections of the Camino Francés after Sarria are stroller friendly. I guess rain is never stroller friendly. Very few places are on (or even near the main highways). Most kids I have seen on the Camino your son's age were in strollers. carrying him sounds difficult, i might be wrong.

Lots of small hotels/pensiones/private albergues with private ensuite rooms. (lots of food opportunities as well). Depending on the time of year you may want to book in advance... luggage transfers are simple and great!

Good luck and Buen Camino

(don't forget to get your son's pilgrim credential either :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Bravo and good for you!

and yes, and depending on the month you will most likely see other 4 year olds!

large sections of the Camino Francés after Sarria are stroller friendly. I guess rain is never stroller friendly. Very few places are on (or even near the main highways). Most kids I have seen on the Camino your son's age were in strollers. carrying him sounds difficult, i might be wrong.

Lots of small hotels/pensiones/private albergues with private ensuite rooms. (lots of food opportunities as well). Depending on the time of year you may want to book in advance... luggage transfers are simple and great!

Good luck and Buen Camino

(don't forget to get your son's pilgrim credential either :)
Thank you for your advice! I approached a couple of tour operator's who have been less than encouraging. It's nice to know it is possible to take a hiking buggy. :)

Absolutely you can do it! More importantly, your 3.5 year old can do it to, and by do it I mean *WALK* it. A three year old can walk 5km. Go at his pace. Let him rest when he wants to. Most 3 year olds don't want to rest for long. Give yourself lots of time so that you only need to walk 5km a day. If you and he want to go farther, you can. If he walks, you might be able to carry the gear for both of you (I carried my six year old's stuff - but I was not unwell). Take photos and/or keep a journal along the way. A journal is great coz your wee man might scribble in it - or you can write down choice little things he says. It will be a precious memory.
Thanks! I'm sure he will walk sections of the way.... He loves the outdoors! I think I will use the luggage transfer options and take day packs for us. That's a great tip re: the journal. We will definitely do that. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We saw a family with 2 little ones. They walked at their speed and strolled gently along. If you can also carry your son then it should be good and private acommodation is available. Would you be booking to make sure of a room, or else be prepared to taxi off the Camino and back to the same point next day if need be?
Yes we will be 'strolling' :). I will book accomodation - mainly to ensure I get a good sleep!! :).

Lots of great advice here already. Sarria to Santiago would be easiest with regular accommodation at relatively short distances but others are doable with some research. When we walked the Camino last April/May there were several pilgrim families along much of the Way. One couple with four young children, one still in a pram, walked the entire Francés. Everyone helped to lift the pram and play with the youngsters. To our delight, we caught up with the family in Santiago, all getting their Compostelas.

I admire your heart and courage to undertake this wondrous journey. You're making all the right decisions, using luggage transfers and walking short distances. I see that you're from Australia so the flight over and back is the worst of it. Don't know how much you've travelled before but airlines do cater well for youngsters.

So sorry to hear your melanoma diagnosis. You don't say (and certainly don't need to disclose here) how well you are managing your health situation. The only other advice that I would give is to look at what travel insurance options are available for you both.

Oh and ask all the advice that you need to on this forum as there is much knowledge and support available.
Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it very much. I will keep asking too! :). We have flown a bit, this will be our longest flight though. He is a good little traveller do fingers crossed the flight will be ok. We will be seeing friends in France on our way so hopefully will be refreshed!

My health is great at the moment and I'm hoping it holds, that's not to say the kilometres won't build up and start to be felt as we walk :). Any insurance excludes cover for melanoma related incidents, which is fine. I'm hoping this walk will be a memorable experience for us both :)

Last edited:
Hi Melananomamum (interesting name) - yes, there are many ways to approach it as stated above - have you watched the movie "6 ways to Santiago?" It could be useful. Also when I did the Camino Frances, there was a couple with a child in tow, she only got out of the pram at places her parents chose to stop, I never saw her walk far so my guess is she would be around 3 years old. Just make sure you have a local sim card and the taxi number in case you need a ride. Did you notice we are almost neighbours?
Buen Camino:)
I haven't seen 6 Ways to Santiago yet but will watch it. I will grab a local SIM and the taxi number. Much research to do yet but am so appreciative of your insight :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi M'mum, take a look at this thread and the blog that is mentioned:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/bodhi-on-the-way-le-puy-to-finisterra-july-nov-2015-with-a-2-yr-old.38755/
Young Bodhi had his own bike, plus a Chariot jogger. Even if you go slackpacking and have your luggage transferred to the next hotel, 17 kilos is a lot to carry. Try some wheels. Buen Camino!
Slackpacking! I love it... Well that will be us :). Ok, I'll look at the buggy again. This was my preference but had advice from a tour operator to not even try to push a hiking buggy. Thank you for the blog link! Great to read the perspective of someone who has experienced what I'd like to do. Thank you! :)

All things are possible! The Camino Frances from Sarria has accommodations about every 5km, so that you can pick the length of your day. Also, there are a lot of private accommodations -- hostales, hoteles, and pensions -- in that stretch. Check booking.com for locations and prices. Have fun planning! I hope it all comes together for you. :)
Thank you! The reassurance is very much appreciated. I'm excited!! :)

Thank you for your advice! I approached a couple of tour operator's who have been less than encouraging. It's nice to know it is possible to take a hiking buggy. :)

I don't know the number but each year a significant number of pilgrims arrive in Santiago with children in hiking buggies. I agree with the advice that the Camino Frances is the best option because of the frequency of accommodation along the route.

On the CF you can readily organise everything yourself including sending luggage ahead each day. If however you want the comfort (albeit at added expense) of using a tour operator to make bookings etc for you then amongst others Id recommend the Camino Travel Centre. They are based in Santiago, speak English and are extremely helpful for people with special circumstances. Email Wiktoria:

http://caminotravelcenter.com/

Message me or Ivar if you need any further help with this.

Best regards

John

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Melanomamum absolutely it is possible! I agree with Rachael (@Kiwi-family) that your youngster could walk the whole of the stretch from Sarria to Santiago doing 5km days. But if you do want to use a buggy-stroller, no problem. Last year I walked into Santiago with a group of disabled people, some in wheelchairs (with a couple of helpers pulling and pushing) and they did the whole of the last 100 km. I've posted it before, but here is the video:

Last edited:
As long a you have a buggy, not a chance a 3yo will walk it.

I once bought a cycle huck on cabin for my bike so I could bring my son on cycles. He hated it and cried all the time. They get tired and want attention ..

The camino is not the place for small kids, unless you have lots of support and you keep the stages short.

I would bet it is, when I was walking last year there was a US couple in their mid-20s who did the French Way with their baby who learned how to walk on the Camino. :D

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It's not the Camino, but my daughter and her hubby have a tow-behind covered chariot that they use to take their toddler on bike rides. He's not crying in the pix they send me.

You seem to have a handle on what your little tiger can handle. (I'd be more worried about how he'll handle strange food and the amazing assortment of bar bathrooms to be encountered. But young children are amazingly able to learn and adapt.)
Buen camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Melanomamum absolutely it is possible! I agree with Rachael (@Kiwi-family) that your youngster could walk the whole of the stretch from Sarria to Santiago doing 5km days. But if you do want to use a buggy-stroller, no problem. Last year I walked into Santiago with a group of disabled people, some in wheelchairs (with a couple of helpers pulling and pushing) and they did the whole of the last 100 km. I've posted it before, but here is the video:

Ohh the is amazing! I agree having a helper would make it easier. It's very reassuring to know a buggy is possible to use. Thank you for sharing this footage :)

It's not the Camino, but my daughter and her hubby have a tow-behind covered chariot that they use to take their toddler on bike rides. He's not crying in the pix they send me.

You seem to have a handle on what your little tiger can handle. (I'd be more worried about how he'll handle strange food and the amazing assortment of bar bathrooms to be encountered. But young children are amazingly able to learn and adapt.)
Buen camino!
Thank you! He is a pretty resilient child and has had lots of exposure to different experiences. We live on a my parents sugar cane farm so he is well used to different surroundings, people, loud noises etc etc..Plus he has had to be in the care of others quite a bit due to my treatment and stints in hospital. He loves being outside so this will be big draw card for him. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would bet it is, when I was walking last year there was a US couple in their mid-20s who did the French Way with their baby who learned how to walk on the Camino. :D
I think it all depends on the child and the parent.....we have been through so much in the last two years in so far as resetting expectations and for me how I approach life and all it can throw at you! I'm pretty relaxed about most things now and we are in no hurry to get anywhere. Imagine being able to say you travelled the Camino when you were not even 4 yrs old? :)

As long a you have a buggy, not a chance a 3yo will walk it.

I once bought a cycle huck on cabin for my bike so I could bring my son on cycles. He hated it and cried all the time. They get tired and want attention ..

The camino is not the place for small kids, unless you have lots of support and you keep the stages short.
I'm very keen on the buggy! :). Yes they do sometimes get tired and unreasonable, I think that is the lot of a toddler sometimes! Having said that he has always slept extremely well in his stroller, once he is tired he can sleep anywhere! A bit like me :).

September sounds sensible - just make sure you bring something that will provide shade in the buggy! I did a lot of long walks with our kid in a 3-wheeler jogging stroller, and he seemed to enjoy both riding and "helping" me to push the stroller - with my backpack in it.

And he'll LOVE getting stamps everywhere, and buying ice cream in every single bar on the way...

I walked with an 8-year-old. Some people frowned, but most people were happy to see him walking, and he made lots of new friends who were missing their own (grand)kids. You may very well pick up volunteer helpers along the way, people who will walk with you for some of the distance.

I'm sure you'll both be fine. Enjoy your Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My advice would be a big cardboard box, then post him to Ivar, who looks after all sorts of things for pilgrims.....:)
Hmm! Cost of posting 17 kg could be a problem, it may eat into your budget.

Hmm! Cost of posting 17 kg could be a problem, it may eat into your budget.
I think we should add this to all our budgets. Ivor would LOVE to look after a few hundred 3-year-olds.
By the way, Marbuck, I looked under your avatar, and wondered why you were going to France to buy a condom. I really must get my eyes tested ...

I think we should add this to all our budgets. Ivor would LOVE to look after a few hundred 3-year-olds.
By the way, Marbuck, I looked under your avatar, and wondered why you were going to France to buy a condom. I really must get my eyes tested ...
I do think you need to get your eyes tested Stephen.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi - I just wanted to update those who had shown an interest in our journey.... We are just outside Palas de Rei on a rest day. We started in Barbadelo three days ago, walking to Portomarinon first day and Palas on Day 2. Portomarin to Palas was a very hard day, pushing the buggy and Ryan up some of those hills was a killer!! We made it though! Ryan is loving the walk, the people he is meeting and the sights. I'm finding this a journey of grieving and healing.... Have met some wonderful, compassionate pilgrims. Just beautiful. Today we will walk from Casa Camino in Merlan to Ribadiso, all going well. I'm amazed at my stamina and how well I'm feeling considering the circumstances. Please say hi if you see us!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 11
September sounds sensible - just make sure you bring something that will provide shade in the buggy! I did a lot of long walks with our kid in a 3-wheeler jogging stroller, and he seemed to enjoy both riding and "helping" me to push the stroller - with my backpack in it.

And he'll LOVE getting stamps everywhere, and buying ice cream in every single bar on the way...

I walked with an 8-year-old. Some people frowned, but most people were happy to see him walking, and he made lots of new friends who were missing their own (grand)kids. You may very well pick up volunteer helpers along the way, people who will walk with you for some of the distance.

I'm sure you'll both be fine. Enjoy your Camino!
Thank you Heidi.... He's had ice cream every stop... And yes we've had our share of helpers. Lovely journey so far, albeit very hard on those hills out of Portomarin!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I just finished Ferreiros to Santiago with a four year old. He walked about 40% on his own feet and the rest on his father's feet/shoulders. The father is quite fit, so the 65 pound pack was OK. Rooms were necessary to handle bedtime energy. Rooms were hard to find because of tourigrinos. You will be able to get a completion certificate. Bypass the line at the Pilgrim Office by going to the group/handicap room. Ask the guard.

Hi - I just wanted to update those who had shown an interest in our journey.... We are just outside Palas de Rei on a rest day. We started in Barbadelo three days ago, walking to Portomarinon first day and Palas on Day 2. Portomarin to Palas was a very hard day, pushing the buggy and Ryan up some of those hills was a killer!! We made it though! Ryan is loving the walk, the people he is meeting and the sights. I'm finding this a journey of grieving and healing.... Have met some wonderful, compassionate pilgrims. Just beautiful. Today we will walk from Casa Camino in Merlan to Ribadiso, all going well. I'm amazed at my stamina and how well I'm feeling considering the circumstances. Please say hi if you see us!

I'm not likely to see you as I am not on the Camino but I'm saying Hi! anyway! Well done and Ultreia! :)

Well done indeed! Good to see you checking in. And so good to see you have so many helpers...the Camino does provide indeed.
Enjoy it to the fullest.
Much love....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
So glad you posted an update. Wonderful to hear your voyage is going well.
I will also have ice cream every day.
Buen camino.

It sounds like you're having a great time -- event with those uphill climbs. Thanks for such a happy, upbeat post. I love your picture. Is your little guy waving at us? :) Adorable!!

Think it's a great idea - the last 100km are very beautiful any young child is bound to find it fascinating. Under the circumstances it sounds like a must do. We walked with a trolley and our pug and cat from Pamplona and so anything is possible. We were surprised not to see any children doing this of any age it seemed a shame - hope you do it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What a lovely picture! (and a sturdy buggy too...)
So good to hear that you have started and are on your Way. Have a wonderful Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back