• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to walk from St. Jean in mid-March

MichaelNW

I am leaving Seattle on March 15, 2016. I know the weather will be a factor, but is it even practical to plan to start from St. Jean at that time of the year? Special considerations? I appreciate any advice. I decided to go at this time to avoid crowding.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It will still be winter and you must be prepared! Many albergues will not yet be open for the season but some will be. Not all support services will be available either; many bars and restos will be closed. Please search the Forum for further info re equipment and accommodation as well as reading what other veteran walkers and I have written in this earlier Forum thread regarding walking in winter.
Happy planning and Buen camino!

MM

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am leaving Seattle on March 15, 2016. I know the weather will be a factor, but is it even practical to plan to start from St. Jean at that time of the year? Special considerations? I appreciate any advice. I decided to go at this time to avoid crowding.

Michael:

I walked from SJPdP on March 23rd in 2010 and 2011. There were no issues with weather. The following years, I do not think the pass was open. Weather is impossible to predict. Just buy your tickets and adjust accordingly. A great time of year to walk, imo.

Ultreya,
Joe

I walked from SJPP March 10th this year, and I was worried about cold. Yes, sometimes it was...a beanie.buff/gloves are essential. And yes, the Valcarlos route was manditory...but it was also gorgeous (I was actually glad for the closure because I had been prejudiced and would not have otherwise chosen to go that way). And yes, until the at least the 15th, and usually the beginning of semana santa, lots of things were closed. The third day was rough from Zubiri to Pamplona because there was no-where to eat all along the way until getting into the outskirts of the city...and I wasn't prepared. So do look out for yourself that way. But by the time you're half-way, things will be opening and there's plenty of action.
You'll have to carry a heavier pack than the summer crowd (6Kgs?? How'd they do that??): I had 11, what with boots, warm clothes (more layers) and a heavier sleeping bag than needed when it's warmer. And rain gear is essential, but a poncho's enough. I had one that I got in SJPP and it was perfect.
That time of year is fantastic: there is just enough pilgrim company, and it's soooo lovely early in the spring, with the earth just waking up from it's winter sleep. All along the way, the apples and almonds are blooming, and when you get to Santiago, the Cherries will be too. Stunning.
(And maybe the bedbugs will not be hatching out yet?? Well, hopefully there are fewer of them...never saw evidence of a single one until nearly into SdC, and that was already mid April.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As others have posted.....it will vary on a daily basis in March over the Napoleon Route. It can be open one day and closed the next.
The Pilgrim Office in SJPdP always has the daily information.
The Valcarlos route is seldom closed due to weather in March..but a snow storm can change that.
You can always get a taxi on to Roncevalles in the event of heavy weather in the mountains.
I would not let the possibility change your plans as there are easy alternatives.

The Valcarlos route is seldom closed due to weather in March..but a snow storm can change that.
You can always get a taxi on to Roncevalles in the event of heavy weather in the mountains...

Perhaps always should be changed to usually; the route N135 from Valcarlos up to Roncesvalles might be left totally unplowed in bad storms. Thus no taxis would be able to make that run. Do indeed check the weather forecasts and be prepared to alter your plans. That said the Valcarlos municipal albergue is open throughout the year as is the albergue at Roncesvalles monastery.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A toss up so far. I'll be leaving from either Vancouver or Seattle, March 16, 2016. I've also been enquiring about weather, etc.
Buen Camino Michael
Gerry

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Michael, according an earlyer tread the Napolean route will be closed from the 1st. of November till the

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I left St. Jean March 7th of last year, (2014) and the weather was gorgeous. It was cool in the morning, but once the sun came out, it got hot! I was sweating by 9am and many pilgrims were in shorts. The next day, from Valcarlos it was more of the same. As we went up into the mountains, you would see the occasional pile of snow that hadn't melted, but that was it for snow.

I think March is a good time to start, just keep an eye on the weather!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back