• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it 'safe' for me to wear my necklace and ring?

susanglori

I almost hate to ask this question cause I hate being so distrustful. But, I wear and my gold wedding band and a silver neckchain with a crucifix with a few medals on it usually 24/7. Is there any chance of it being taken from me? (I ask because a Church group went to Ecuador on a mission trip and our priest had his gold crucifix taken right off his neck - at gunpoint! I know that there is a huge difference between the two countries.....) Doesn't hurt to ask?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would advise you to not take anything with you that is either very valuable or very important to you. Like everywhere...stuff happens.
My wife does not take her rings, etc.

Crime and theft is not common, but it does exist and it seems to have increased over the past couple of years.

The popularity of the Camino has attracted some criminals looking for easy pickings. Pilgrims tend to be trusting and can be targets. The best course of action on the Camino is to use the same level of personal security as you would in any other setting with strangers involved.

Having said that....the Camino is safe if you use common sense with money and valuables.

I wear my wedding ring and watch, but leave my engagement ring and cross in a secure place rather than taking them on the Camino. More afraid of losing them than having them stolen as I do remove them at night.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think wearing a wedding ring is a quite standard practice (and If I' d let it at home, my wife would give me a very suspicious gaze :)), but any other jewelry is not advisable in travels. The general idea: reduce your valuables to a minimum, carry only the essential.
Trust your fellow pilgrims (the general mood is warm and helpful), but also be cautious in albergues. And big cities as Pamplona, Burgos or León are, well...big cities. Not particularly dangerous, but some general safety practices are convenient.

Last edited:
Wearing two rings, watch and pearl ear-rings (studs) at home - wore them on the Caminho. Never had a shadow of unease about these items while traveling in Europe, neither on or off-caminho.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Take nothing with you that would greatly upset you if stolen or lost. My practice is to leave all my gold at home and wear either sterling silver or stainless steel replacements - in the case of religious medals. I also leave my gold wedding ring and expensive watch at home at take a solid sports watch.

The same goes for items you always carry in your wallet. Before I depart on a foreign trip anywhere, I always STRIP my wallet. I remove any cards, photos, spare keys or other items I know I will not need on Camino, and which would prove a headache if lost or stolen.

In addition to my national passport and pilgrim credentials, I only bring: one major credit card, one debit card, my driver's license, my health insurance ID card (I have a Blue Cross / Blue Shield plan that works overseas), a card attesting to a special medical condition, and a US Passport Card.

This last item can be obtained when you renew a US passport. It is a standard-sized card good for crossing the US land borders, or traveling to nearby foreign areas by auto or ship (Caribbean, Canada, Mexico, etc.). It is not valid for flying anywhere. I bring it in case the passport gets stolen, it will at least get me into a US Embassy to obtain a replacement. I also use it in shops to prove US citizenship so I do not have to retrieve my passport so often. Most folks just make a copy of the passport bio page. But my card is waterproof and fits in the über thin "Butterfly Wallet" I use on Camino.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, everyone. I think I will leave the necklace but wearing my wedding band. I got it to not always have to wear my original wedding set so it won't be too much of a big deal if it's lost - however, I hope it's not! :) Ultreya!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wore my wedding ring and engagement ring and a simple cross necklace. But I never took them off. And I never felt concerned about their safety. If you remove it at night leave it at home.

I almost hate to ask this question cause I hate being so distrustful. But, I wear and my gold wedding band and a silver neckchain with a crucifix with a few medals on it usually 24/7. Is there any chance of it being taken from me? (I ask because a Church group went to Ecuador on a mission trip and our priest had his gold crucifix taken right off his neck - at gunpoint! I know that there is a huge difference between the two countries.....) Doesn't hurt to ask?
I wore my wedding ring and silver chain with miraculous medal. But regardless of what you do, you will not be robbed at gunpoint on the Camino. It really is one of the safest things you will ever do as far as crime is concerned

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I always wear my wedding ring ( after nearly 50 years, I can't get it off)! Also wore my earrings and chain with cross. Never thought not to take them I don't ever wear a watch. Anne

All my jewellery was stolen. Every last piece - sentimental family pieces and some good modern stuff as well. My own engagement ring. Very distressing. But stolen from our home, not the Camino. I wear my wedding ring and replacement engagement ring on Camino; I figure it's safer than leaving them at home!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you been practising walking with your wedding band on? I found that my fingers swell quite a bit on walks of 20km and the first time it happened I had to go to a chemist shop to get something to grease my finger to get the ring off. Then I had to find somewhere safe to carry it home! No rings at all for me they will stay in a bank safe.

All my jewellery was stolen. Every last piece - sentimental family pieces and some good modern stuff as well. My own engagement ring. Very distressing. But stolen from our home, not the Camino. I wear my wedding ring and replacement engagement ring on Camino; I figure it's safer than leaving them at home!
Sorry to hear that Kanga. I can imagine how distressing it would have been because we do come attached to these things. I know they are material items, but they are sentimental and emotional items as well plus we want to hand something on that we have loved to others.

I wore a wedding ring, silver necklace with silver scallop shells, 2 sets earrings for pierced ears ( don't want the holes to close over) - I did not feel unsafe in any way. In Puenta la Reina I was standing on a crowded platform watching the local running of the bulls when I realised that one pearl earring was missing. People around me saw that I was looking on the ground for something. I explained in sign language that I had lost an earring and they helped me look for it - to no avail. When I arrived back at the accommodation I found the earring in the collar of my shirt. I lost the butterfly back of the stud but was able to replace it in Leon.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I never take jewellery with me to socalled third-world countries. I would, however, not worry about Spain - unless at gunpoint or taking it off at night in an albergue.

annelise

Have you been practising walking with your wedding band on? I found that my fingers swell quite a bit on walks of 20km and the first time it happened I had to go to a chemist shop to get something to grease my finger to get the ring off. Then I had to find somewhere safe to carry it home! No rings at all for me they will stay in a bank safe.

Are you using walking poles. As soon as we started using these on our long training walks, the swelling stopped?

I have worn my crucifix and St Christopher, when a youth, twenty three years in the Marines, the desert, rain forests and the Camino. Unless you are wearing a fist size crucifix, on a three foot gold chain, outside your shirt have faith all will be well as you walk the way. Tempting fate is never recommended.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I should admit that in part my question was because I just recently had to replace my chain, crucifix and medals because I had taken my necklace off when trying on blouses in a department store, hung it on a hook in the dressing room and forgot it there! I had had it for many many years so I was rather heartbroken when it was nowhere to be found once I realized it was missing a few hours later. But, that being said and after reading your kind replies I think I will wear my necklace with crucifix and medals as well as my wedding band. I really don't feel I need to be distrustful on this Camino. For the first time in my life I will be alone, counting on my own wits :) but I am certain all will be well. I can do this. Ultreya!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Are you using walking poles. As soon as we started using these on our long training walks, the swelling stopped?
Yes I have used a wooden staff and walking poles and it still happened. I have been a work in progress since May last year getting read. It is mainly the left hand so I remind myself every now and then to raise the left hand and hold onto the strap of my backpack. I asked the doctor and he thought it was probably blood flow during exercise not reaching the fingers hanging down, which, as you say should be alleviated by using walking poles. I have poor circulation as I suffer from cramps in the legs and feet as well - despite taking extra magnesium. I am even having Epsom Salt baths to try to absorb more. I must have been created on a day they were running short of something on the production line !!! Thanks Petitewalker. Buen Camino

I wore my wedding ring. Did not wear my crucifix because I was concerned I would take it off somewhere and forget it. I guess anyone can be robbed at anytime and any place, but I did not feel the threat was imminent.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back