• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it safe to drink the water?

Shelley862

Time of past OR future Camino
We should arrive in Sarria next Saturday - is it safe to drink the tap water in Galicia or should we stick to bottled water? Thanks

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It's safe as anywhere. Spain is a first word country and tap water is fine. If there is a non potable sign that would be a fountain to avoid however most fountains are clearly marked or obviously for human use and those are quite safe. In an albergue or hostel etc the water is safe obviously. I got in the habit if ordering tap water while there instead of paying for a bottle if water.... Never had a problem

The tap water in Spain is excellent. I've drunk it all over the country, from the largest cities to the tiniest mountaintop villages, and have never had a problem (not even when I first moved here.)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just about all I drank in Spain (water wise) was from the taps or fountains. It's fine.
Don't drink water out of plastic bottles. It's a waste and contributes to pollution.

I actually trust the tap water more than the fountain water. Besides, outside the Camino Frances I don't many public fountains so most of my water are tap water from the bars.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi there,
And what's about that warning not to drink from the fountains between Burgos and Leon? Is that still valid?
Best wishes,
Volker

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
San Juan Hill Revenge? True its Santiago but the other one, in Cuba! Mineral water from bottles also contains salts, minerals, trace elements, and goodness knows what all, forget it - if its marked potable go for it! Sin aqua potable don't. I have a personal preference for club soda and can drink a gallon at the end of a day, worse than mineral water but it bubbles out all the dust up and flushes all the lomo out - works for me and no gin required!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
At least that has been streamed.
I don't know Scott, that's like the "old wive's tale" to devein shrimp. I have been eating the mud suckers for over 60 years and never gotten sick.
BTW, There is nothing tastier than a big, fat raw Apalachicola oyster from the armpit of Florida with horseradish and that world famous sauce from Avery Island.

The only time I do not drink fountain water is 1) if it is marked "non potable" and 2) if it's raining so hard that the creeks are running brown.

Otherwise, I drink it all the way from SJPP to Santiago.

No doubt, nothing better than Chesapeake oyster but they warn you about consuming raw seafood for a reason. You might eat them over and over again but it only takes one, only takes your gut to have an issue. It's not so much the water in Spain as much as possible contamination at the fonts themselves.

But I'd sooner eat oysters in close to home in Virginia then chance stomach issues thousands of miles away.

I remember a couple years ago in the Costa Brava the issues of water and being warned not to drink from the tap or fonts.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Locals use to sacrifice chickens and goats when praying to Gods for some drops of potable water.

Be sure you carry your owns.

And some mirrors.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
We did the Camino in May of this year and we were told by a Spanish man who has done the Camino 8 times not to drink from the fountains after O'Cebreiro until the end.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We should arrive in Sarria next Saturday - is it safe to drink the tap water in Galicia or should we stick to bottled water? Thanks

We filled our bottles from a fountain in Galicia and it made us sick for 2 days. We were flat out, in bed - couldn't eat anything. When we recovered we didn't feel like walking very far. Some fountains are labelled "agua potable" or "agua tratada" and are probably safe. Others may say "agua no potable" - take this warning seriously. Most fountains have no indication, however, so be cautious. It is best to fill and refill your water bottles in albergues, cafes, bars, restaurants from taps. Most cafes will cheerfully fill your bottle for you.

Locals use to sacrifice chickens and goats when praying to Gods for some drops of potable water.

Be sure you carry your owns.

And some mirrors.
Oh darn now I have to carry a chicken to? Maybe I could traIn the goat to carry the chicken....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We filled our bottles from a fountain in Galicia and it made us sick for 2 days. We were flat out, in bed - couldn't eat anything. When we recovered we didn't feel like walking very far. Some fountains are labelled "agua potable" or "agua tratada" and are probably safe. Others may say "agua no potable" - take this warning seriously. Most fountains have no indication, however, so be cautious. It is best to fill and refill your water bottles in albergues, cafes, bars, restaurants from taps. Most cafes will cheerfully fill your bottle for you.

How did you know it was the water? Could it have been something you ate as well ... or maybe even virus/bacterial infection? Unless you were tested it would be hard to definitively say it was the water.

Flies landing on food in the kitchen where you buy your meals are more likely to cause problems than water from potable sources.

Probably. Last year I got very ill, three days in a albergue unable to continue, not sure if it was the water or something I ate but I stuck with bottle water and sports drinks for the rest of my camino and had no further problems.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How did you know it was the water? Could it have been something you ate as well ... or maybe even virus/bacterial infection? Unless you were tested it would be hard to definitively say it was the water.
We didn't get tested, so, of course, we cannot say definitively it was water. However, the day we got sick, we had filled our bottles from an unmarked fountain (a foolish act). I'd say that fountain was the most probable source of our discomfort. We have been more cautious during 2 subsequent Caminos and we've encountered no problems with water.

Probably. Last year I got very ill, three days in a albergue unable to continue, not sure if it was the water or something I ate but I stuck with bottle water and sports drinks for the rest of my camino and had no further problems.
I agree that it is safe to drink the water, but find a bit of irony that you would suspect that water was the source of the problem, and also that bottle water was then a preventive! Both contain the same post hoc fallacy! Without testing, there is no evidence that water caused the problem, only conjecture. It could have come from water, food, dehydration, or disease. Similarly, sticking to bottled water provided no protection against food, dehydration, or disease, which may have been equally likely causes. ;)

Illness is far from rare on the Camino. It is arduous, and quarters are often close. There are sanitation standards in Spain, but enforcement is a bit of an unknown. With pilgrims being transients, and with the incubation time of symptoms quite variable, tracing and testing a source is an awesome task.

My approach: I got sick. I got better. Next time I will continue to practice prudent preventive standards. :):)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back