• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it too hot in July for Camino walking

Our Gran

Time of past OR future Camino
hello.

We are working out dates for 2017 and with work and other commitments early to mid July looking likely.

Would appreciate comments on this and any hints for a 62 year old first time hiker. The training starts now

Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That is really difficult to say, first because it depends partly on what temperatures you are used to/where you are from. F.e. for somebody from Alaska it might be unbearable hot, for somebody from certain parts of Australia just normal hot. Second it really depends on how the weather develops, some summers are hotter than others, f.e. at the moment Spain suffers a heat wave so temperatures are higher than normal. And it depends which Camino you choose also. The best method to avoid the worst heat is starting with first light and getting most of your hiking done before it gets really hot.
Buen Camino, SY

That is really difficult to say, first because it depends partly on what temperatures you are used to/where you are from. F.e. for somebody from Alaska it might be unbearable hot, for somebody from certain parts of Australia just normal hot. Second it really depends on how the weather develops, some summers are hotter than others, f.e. at the moment Spain suffers a heat wave so temperatures are higher than normal. And it depends which Camino you choose also. The best method to avoid the worst heat is starting with first light and getting most of your hiking done before it gets really hot.
Buen Camino, SY

Hello, many thanks for your response. This will be my first hike, and as a 63 year old with a new knee I am only planning on covering Sarria to Santiago. I live in Australia so am used to hot weather. I saw a comment, but cannot now recall where, stating July to be avoided due to extreme heat.
Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Galicia has a damp/wet heat but generally is not as hot as for example the meseta. Your main problems will be the crowds on those last 100km ... Buen Camino, SY

@Our Gran I'd walk the Norte at that time as it is along the coast. And it is very beautiful. The only problem might be accommodation; it is a holiday area and during the tourist season albergues and rooms get booked up.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
it depends partly on what temperatures you are used to/where you are from. F.e. for somebody from Alaska it might be unbearable hot, for somebody from certain parts of Australia just normal hot.
I agree 100% with this. In an earlier post someone wrote that she walked in a heatwave while it was around 70/80 degrees (Fahrenheit) For me, coming from hot and humid Florida, that temperature is great somewhat cooler walking weather.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In your circumstance I would not recommend doing VdlP in Andalucía or Southern Extremadura during July.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For the record....many members here are a decade or more older than you...most don't have new knees..but some actually do have various replacement parts.

Allow plenty of time and go slowly enough to be comfortable.

Welcome to the forum.

hi yes i agree with SY , start in Sierra its the one for you ! and for the heat well us we just walked rreally in the morning so the sun dosent get to us so much, in the afternoon we rested ! its nice like this! and you do the first 2 weeks small walks of 15 to 20 km and after you start to see if your knee can take it
good luck buen camina

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back