• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it too late to change my plans? Part coast/inland

andreak58

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago/Muxia/Finisterre-Sept 2016
Valenca-SDC-Sept 2018
Hi,
I am leaving next month and my plan was to arrive in Valenca and then walk to SDC via Tui, O'Porrino, Redondela, Pontevedra, etc.

Now I am thinking that it may be nicer to walk from Baiona instead in order to get some of the coastline...and then Redondela onward. Is there a way to get from Valenca to Baiona via train or bus? Or is taxi the only way? Also, if I start in Baiona, I see that going to Vigo is something like 45 km. So where would be a better place to start? If I start in Vigo, is there enough coastal walking?
I would like to walk 2 days along the coast before connecting with Redondela on the third day.

I hope this makes sense and not too convoluted...Thanks!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Andrea!

Of course it is not too late :) As much as I love the CP from Tui, I understand the wish to see the coast.
Valença and Tui deserve a visit, and the easiest way to get to Baiona is by taxi. It should not cost you more than 50 euros, probably way less than that.
By bus you have to go all the way to Vigo and then back.

Starting in Vigo, you will only get a day of coastal walk, and there is the issue that you are less than 100km from Santiago, so you do not qualify for a Compostela. I'd suggest Baiona if you want to get both coastal views and the certificate in the end.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So where would be a better place to start?

Or get the bus or train from Valenca to Caminha.
Takes about 30mins and costs about 5 euros:
https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Valença-Portugal/Caminha

Then get the ferry across the river to A Guarda (runs every hour on the hour, except at low tide, and on Mondays), takes 10 minutes, and costs 1.50 euros.

Then you have the most wonderful coastal walk for three days from A Guarda to Vigo:
A Guarda to Mougas via the delightful coastal village of Oia, 19kms (on a cycle route to begin with, but all flat and some great views);
Mougas to Nigran via the lovely coastal town of Baiona, 22kms;
Nigran to Vigo, 19kms; either stay near the coast, or take the inland route;
Vigo to Redondela, 16kms; on the cycle trail, contouring around the hillside, with fabulous views.

Bom caminho!
Jill

I'm walking from Baiona to Vigo in a few weeks, and have the distance at around 23km, not 45km. Hope I'm not off.

I'm walking from Baiona to Vigo in a few weeks, and have the distance at around 23km, not 45km. Hope I'm not off.
Yes I google mapped it and realized I was looking at a longer route, for cars....When do you leave? I am leaving Sept 27th. Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Andrea!

Of course it is not too late :) As much as I love the CP from Tui, I understand the wish to see the coast.
Valença and Tui deserve a visit, and the easiest way to get to Baiona is by taxi. It should not cost you more than 50 euros, probably way less than that.
By bus you have to go all the way to Vigo and then back.

Starting in Vigo, you will only get a day of coastal walk, and there is the issue that you are less than 100km from Santiago, so you do not qualify for a Compostela. I'd suggest Baiona if you want to get both coastal views and the certificate in the end.
I will be arriving in Valenca and have an overnight there, so can visit both Valenca and Tui. Have you done both routes, from Tui and from the Coast? What and why is your preference? Just trying to get an understanding of both and what may work for me and my two kids who are coming with me.
Thanks

Then get the ferry across the river to A Guarda (runs every hour on the hour, except at low tide, and on Mondays), takes 10 minutes, and costs 1.50 euros.

Then you have the most wonderful coastal walk for three days from A Guarda to Vigo:
A Guarda to Mougas via the delightful coastal village of Oia, 19kms (on a cycle route to begin with, but all flat and some great views);
Vigo to Redondela, 16kms; on the cycle trail, contouring around the hillside, with fabulous views.

Bom caminho!
Jill
It sounds lovely and I am somewhat on a bit of a schedule, because of time constraints, and meeting a friend in Padron. However, always opened to re working the schedule and play....Thanks for your response. :)

Yes I google mapped it and realized I was looking at a longer route, for cars....When do you leave? I am leaving Sept 27th. Thanks

I leave Porto on 9/7. Hugging the coast until having to move inward toward Redondela.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have you done both routes, from Tui and from the Coast? What and why is your preference?

I have only done Central route. I lived most of my life on the coast, so I was more interested in the inland historical places. I loved it with all my heart - beautiful places, lovely people and amazing food. I'm a great enthusiast of the CP :)

It is not all roses though, there is a fair bit of road walking at some points. But not to the point of spoiling it.

I leave Porto on 9/7. Hugging the coast until having to move inward toward Redondela.
Sounds lovely. Do you have any info you can pass on re the Senda Litoral? I am not finding much information on this stage...Thank you and Buen Camino!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
It is never too late to change future plans, in my opinion. I'm a big fan of careful planning but understanding all plans are tentative and leaving actual decisions to the last minute.

It is never too late to change future plans, in my opinion. I'm a big fan of careful planning but understanding all plans are tentative and leaving actual decisions to the last minute.
Yes, I kind of dislike planning to a certain extent...but ...because I am a terrible sleeper, AND I have shoulder pain after a busy massage practice season, I have had to play sleeping arrangements and backpack transfers...so that makes it a bit harder to be carefree and whimsical..

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi,
I am leaving next month and my plan was to arrive in Valenca and then walk to SDC via Tui, O'Porrino, Redondela, Pontevedra, etc.

Now I am thinking that it may be nicer to walk from Baiona instead in order to get some of the coastline...and then Redondela onward. Is there a way to get from Valenca to Baiona via train or bus? Or is taxi the only way? Also, if I start in Baiona, I see that going to Vigo is something like 45 km. So where would be a better place to start? If I start in Vigo, is there enough coastal walking?
I would like to walk 2 days along the coast before connecting with Redondela on the third day.

I hope this makes sense and not too convoluted...Thanks!!

Hi,

From valenca You can also do the espirtual variant which starts in pontevedra and spends some time by the coast. There is great swimming in Vilanova de arousa, It finishes in padron and rejoins the main route to Santiago.

Whatever you decide, have a great time

Bom caminho!
Jill
Sounds great. Is it easy enough to follow the route? Way marked?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
If it helps you ease your thoughts at all I didn't know if I was going to be walking costal, inland or a combination until the morning I started walking from Porto.
Sure I read the postings here and the guidebook and I am the planner type but nothing seemed right until that morning.
And I'm convinced that I made the best decision.

Thank for all the input because I have similar questions, although no time constraint. We leave Sept 10 from Porto and plan to stay on the Senda but cross to the Coastal a bit and also walk the Spiritual Variant. Any suggestions if we want a day of rest for a great place to stay an extra day? Gracias mi camino amigos!

Any suggestions if we want a day of rest for a great place to stay an extra day?

No, don’t plan a rest day. You will know it when you get there. You just arrive at a place and think “I really really need a rest day” . . . for whatever reason: you like the place you are in, you’re tired, you have blisters, you fancy a relaxing day on the beach, a day to go shopping, a day for somebody to catch up, a fair in town, you’re ill, your companion is ill, it’s pouring with rain when you wake up . . . OH! You mean a particularly interesting place to spend a day? No, not really on the coastal route between Porto and Santiago, except maybe Vigo. If the weather is good you could take an excursion to the Cies Islands.
Jill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi,

From valenca You can also do the espirtual variant which starts in pontevedra and spends some time by the coast. There is great swimming in Vilanova de arousa, It finishes in padron and rejoins the main route to Santiago.

Whatever you decide, have a great time
Hi Jon

Can you advise the distance of the Espirtual Variant from Pontevedra and where it comes back in for the traditional route?

Thanks for the thread - I'm doing Valenca to SdC in October (second Camino) and have my 70 year old sister join me - want to make sure she enjoys her first Camino and would like to avoid too much road walking if possible.

Many thanks
Lindy

Most read last week in this forum

Dear people, In April, we will cycle from Seville to Santiago de Compostella on our recumbent tandem. It will be our first time cycling a camino and we are really looking forward to it. After...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back