• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it worth bring waterproof gear in August?

Lowther99

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk 'The French way' starting on the 24th July
Hello,

I'm leaving at the end of month and it's only occurred to me that it MAY rain. I don't want to have to pay to buy a load of gear, not to wear it! But will I need it...?

Thanks,

Aaron.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It may well rain, almost certainly you will encounter a thunder storm somewhere.
Personally I don't walk in August, I barely even walk through the village because I know I will get all wet and sweaty.
I walked in June and just wore shorts and a top that dried quickly. Just ensure that your back pack is well water-proofed, so you have dry clothes to change into when you stop. Rain proof gear just makes you wetter than you were anyway and skin dries easily :)
So far summer is very warm and there are lots of thunder storms.

a friend of mine who had done four Caminos said to me, Plan for sunshine but prepare for rain...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Actually, re-thinking, it probably would be useful. Most of the thunderstorms are in the evening, just at the time that you would be thinking about food, either going to buy or going to eat. Whilst you are hot and sweaty a bit of rain can be pleasant or coped with, once you are clean and dry you probably want to stay that way. :D

Galicia is known for crazy weather... Personally, my "waterproof" pants did not work well and just made me cold during my hike.... Shorts worked much better than pants because drying time was much quicker!

I would recommend just having a poncho that covers you and your bag. I just used a deuter bag cover but the Altus ponchos I saw other people wearing seemed much more reliable and convenient!

You'll be there for a long time... It's going to rain a little bit.... If you get caught in a thunderstorm without a poncho you will wish you had something that kept your stuff dry! If you don't get caught in stormy weather the poncho isn't exactly the heaviest thing in your bag...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It'll be August. Even at 2000 metres daytime temps aren't cold.

Lets put things in perspective. The weather report for a local 1900slm hiking area has a daytime high of 14 today. That's the coldest it'll be all week. Most of the week is 20c. 1900 metres!

Using the 0.7degree rule that means 1000 metres would be 6+ degrees warmer.

Glancing at Spain Bilbao is 30 degrees and raining today. Do you really want to be walking in your own personal sauna? Or would you be better off getting a warm shower?

August worry about heat stroke. Worry about too much sun. Worry about dehydration.

Just make sure your bag is set up to keep your stuff dry.

NicoZ said:
It'll be August. Even at 2000 metres daytime temps aren't cold.

Lets put things in perspective. The weather report for a local 1900slm hiking area has a daytime high of 14 today. That's the coldest it'll be all week. Most of the week is 20c. 1900 metres!

You would be better served by knowing the daytime lows.

I've hiked in mountains in August and had snow following on a plus 30c day ... admittedly not in Spain.

Even 14c has potential for hypothermia if you are wet and have no energy from a long day of walking. Thats without considering effect of wind chill.

The rain in Galicia can be INSANE. Trying to waterproof your body against it is a hopeless ploy, but waterproofing your phone and any other electronics and your credencial and any other paper is something you should think about ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are that many sites on google that give you the YEARLY averages , the coming MONTH forecasts , the coming weeks etc
The lowest temp before Galicia is around 20c plus.......you don't want to look at the top.

Bag cover , light $2 poncho and stop worrying,
As Nico wrote,
Have plenty of water
My advice;
Start early [ 6.30 am as everyone else will be ] stop at lunch time [1.30pm onwards ] thats 5hrs and enjoy. Daylight is always around 7.00am and we love to be JUST on the way when this occurs ...its beautiful.

The many unhappy folk who left Samos yesterday morning without any waterproof clothing whatsoever, let alone a decent poncho, as well as those that got caught in very cold and wet weather the previous morning between Alto do Poio and Fonfria, would surely attest to the need to bring clothes for wet days as they can hit any time.

I have so far used my wet weather gear 4 times between Roncesvalles and Ventas de Naron and the small extra weight has been more than compensated by the benefits received.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My usual policy is that if I can't guarantee I'll need something, I don't take it. There are two exceptions to this rule - wet weather gear and a basic first aid kit.

Galicia is known for crazy weather... Personally, my "waterproof" pants did not work well and just made me cold during my hike.... Shorts worked much better than pants because drying time was much quicker!

I would recommend just having a poncho that covers you and your bag. I just used a deuter bag cover but the Altus ponchos I saw other people wearing seemed much more reliable and convenient!

You'll be there for a long time... It's going to rain a little bit.... If you get caught in a thunderstorm without a poncho you will wish you had something that kept your stuff dry! If you don't get caught in stormy weather the poncho isn't exactly the heaviest thing in your bag...
Have you considered a rain skirt? You can also use that as a ground cover or a multitude of other things. I got one and will use it on my next camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.