• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it worth it?

Calum

Time of past OR future Camino
It is now coming on for ten years since I had been walking mindfully regularly and I heard of the Camino first when I meet someone who had just walked it and then when a travel writing book about it popped up in front of me. It is still on my mind to give it a go myself and now seems a good juncture. The family have all grown and I am separated. I would hope to get four weeks leave during the summer so I wold have to keep up about twenty miles a day. At this stage I can walk ten miles so I would expect to be able to build up to 20+ before setting off but if I was keeping that sort of pace would I be missing the point? I live near the Cairngorm National Path, so I would happily accommodate any Camino veterans who would like to join me on local training walks and share tips. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Is it worth it? Yes!!

If you have 4 weeks start in Pamplona give yourself a break. Even with that you will have some walking to do.

You have not mentioned the country you are arriving from UK? or the city your flying to as that can add 2-3 days travel on both ends. I met a Canadian & a fellow from Wales who walked it easily in under 30 days yet they had trained hard to do 40+k every day. Their long days were 50k +
So ask yourself do you want the companionship that can be fantastic? Once you do this if you are like most you will want to return.
Buen Camino
Keith

Hi Calum, Whatever time you have, Yes it's worth it.

As you say, the challenge now is to decide on your start and finish point, and your likely 'speed'.

It's a rather impossible question to answer I think, which is probably no want you want to hear, but I you might have suspected you would hear ;) Whatever anyone says is personal opinion of course, and based on their own experiences, fitness and time allowance.

I would merely say this.

I walked from St Jean to Santiago in 40 days. Most people seem to do it in the 33-36 day range. Some are faster, some are slower.

I walked with people who were walking 30+ kms (18 miles) a day. They seemed to have a ball. I couldn't keep up though.

I walked at a more comfortable pace for me. About 22 kms a day was the sweet spot (only 14 miles). I was probably one of the slowest walkers. Luckily I had plenty of time.

So. If you can walk 20 miles a day. Day after day. Comfortably. Then you'll be fine. Depending how fast you actually walk (which should NOT be a speed target) you will arrive by lunchtime or later.

It's also a question of 'hours on the road'. Whilst I was a very slow walker, I still mainly 'kept up' with my Camino family, because I just walked more hours than they did... They would be washed up and on their first drink by the time I crawled into town :oops:

Probably the best advice that is shared on this Forum, is not to plan too much! If you plan too much and things go wrong you'll be disappointed. So always have a Plan B a Plan C etc. What if after a few days you find 20 miles a day is too much? Or too little! Stay flexible....

I was just happy to reach the end of each day still able to walk. It was only when I was a few days from Santiago I actually started thinking about the 'end'....

Sorry, rambling on a bit. But you get the idea....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As you live in Scotland, it's going to be fairly easy and cheap for you to get to Spain, so unless you really want to get your compostela in Santiago this time, start in SJPdP and walk as far as you can in the time you have.

You can then return at a later date to complete your Camino, and even walk on to Finisterre.

I'm returning at the end of September for my 3rd time - 12 days, having walked in 2 x 5 day stints already. I've already booked my flights to go back for walk #4 in April 2017. And that still won't complete my Camino, but there's no desperate rush to do so.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Four weeks would be a tough haul unless you are in excellent shape. Ponder a shorter distance, or take more time if you can. Buen camino.

It’s really hard to give advice without knowing more about you. Some people on this forum can walk 25 miles a day in 8 hours, some can only walk 10 miles per day and it takes them longer. Some people have old injuries, some people like to walk slow, some people like to stop walking before midday – so many possibilities!

Some people like walking long days and feel a challenge is part of the pilgrimage experience, some people like to take things easy. Long days without a rucksack will be much easier than long days with a rucksack. Just depends what's important to you.

One tip from me, really long days are much easier if you have booked into a hotel in the evening. You don't have any accommodation worries and it means that you can stop for a long relaxing lunch and then carry on walking in the afternoon/early evening and see a different side to the camino.

Totally worth it. I think 20 mile days, though taxing, are completely doable. When my friends and I walked, we strung together many days of 20+miles.... sometimes more. If you're going to do that, just be sure to keep your kit light ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As others have stated, there is no "official" starting point for the Camino Francés or any of the other Camino routes, so as I see it, you have at least a couple of realistic options:

1. Decide how many miles/km you think you can comfortably walk in a day (remember, you'll be walking day after day, carrying a moderately loaded backpack), calculate how many miles you can thus walk in your allotted time, and pick an accessible starting point based on that calculation. Remember to include at least a couple of rest days along the way; most people take these in the larger cities.

2. Start at one of the popular starting points such as St Jean Pied de Port or Roncesvalles, walk as far as you can in your allotted time--factoring in 5 to 6 days to walk the last 100km to Santiago, then take a bus or train ahead as far as the number of days that your average walking distance requires to make up the difference. But be sure to walk the last 100km if you want to receive the Compostela when you reach Santiago.

There are of, course, several other options such as doing the "entire" Camino Frances in segments over multiple years or choosing one of the shorter routes--you can make those decisions as your more definitive planning progresses. Whichever you choose, good luck and Buen Camino!

20 mile days would be too much for me day after day. My legs are fine with that sort of walking, by my feet would never hold up. So if it were me, and I had 4 weeks, I would either start somewhere nearer to Santiago than SJPP or choose a shorter route than the Frances - or plan to bus/train through part of the route.

It is now coming on for ten years since I had been walking mindfully regularly and I heard of the Camino first when I meet someone who had just walked it and then when a travel writing book about it popped up in front of me. It is still on my mind to give it a go myself and now seems a good juncture. The family have all grown and I am separated. I would hope to get four weeks leave during the summer so I wold have to keep up about twenty miles a day. At this stage I can walk ten miles so I would expect to be able to build up to 20+ before setting off but if I was keeping that sort of pace would I be missing the point? I live near the Cairngorm National Path, so I would happily accommodate any Camino veterans who would like to join me on local training walks and share tips. :)

Couldn't recommended it highly enough Calum, I think I know where you are in your life, been there myself, the time and space to think about where you life is gonna go next IS to be found on the Camino, and if you don't find it ! Well you'll meet lovely people from all over the world in a gourgous country.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Seems like you've reached a point in life which presents you with an opportunity (much like myself on CF No1) you might not otherwise have had.

My advice would be go for it but not necessarily the whole thing (ie SJPP to SdC) - perhaps start in Burgos this time?

I say this time because you should realise that it can become addictive . . . you've signed up to a forum of self confessed Camino junkies and it's a bit like the Catholic church - once in you never really leave.

Besides which it's a real blast when you finally walk up those steps to the cathedral :)

Buen Camino friend!

As has been pointed out, it could be better to start a bit closer. Logroño or Burgos. That would allow for the unexpected. And it is still a very long walk.
I would say that every walk in lovely countryside, no matter how long or short, is worth it. And the infrastructure of the Camino means that you can start where you like and just walk.
I'm trying to plan a walk on the South West Coast Path at the moment. Lots of places don't do one night stops. They are expensive. And at this time of year seem to be full. It's a bit of a headache. Not problems I found on the Camino. If you didn't give it a go you wouldn't know how special it is.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Why start in Saint Jean Pied de Port? It has no historical significance. Spanish pilgrims rarely start there. It seems to me its only significance is it is the point where more developed infrastructure begins. There is no "starting point". Simply start where you wish. IMHO!
For me, crossing one of the great mountain ranges of Europe, on foot , was very special. Following in the footsteps of great historical figures. And almost every pilgrim that came through France would have crossed the Pyrenees somewhere. That said, I agree, there's no reason to start there. Or anywhere else more than 100km from Santiago. If I hadn't I would have missed one of my favourite days walking in 6 weeks.

My advice would be to start in SJPP or even deeper back into France. You live close and can return. Walk with no set city of departure in mind - just walk! Enjoy the people you meet and take a day off when it suits and be content to leave when you are ready or have run out of time off.

At this stage I can walk ten miles so I would expect to be able to build up to 20+ before setting off but if I was keeping that sort of pace would I be missing the point?
As for your concern about missing the point because you're traveling too fast -- what's your point? What is it that you want the camino to provide?

If your goals are to definitely travel the Camino Frances and also all the way from St. Jean to Santiago in 28 days or less you have got a lot of walking to do each day. Or, consider renting a bicycle for a portion of the meseta. This is easy to do. Check out some of the other threads on the forum for more information.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think the GR 65 from LePuy en Velay is absolutely beautiful. I would start here and walk for whatever number of weeks you have eg to St Jean Pied de Port. Then go back another time to finish eg walk to Leon, then take the San Salvador to Oviedo, then the Camino Primitivo to Santiago. Don'the miss the GR65 (via podiensis) though. The GR 65 though was a definite highlight.

This is your first Camino, so I would suggest underestimating your daily walking distance (maybe 25k per day?) so that you aren't feeling rushed. If you end up walking faster, you can spend an extra day or two in your favourite towns!

If possible, I would recommend waiting to book your return flight. Then you're not feeling pressured to walk faster and make the dates work.

Hi Calum, Whatever time you have, Yes it's worth it.

As you say, the challenge now is to decide on your start and finish point, and your likely 'speed'.

It's a rather impossible question to answer I think, which is probably no want you want to hear, but I you might have suspected you would hear ;) Whatever anyone says is personal opinion of course, and based on their own experiences, fitness and time allowance.

I would merely say this.

I walked from St Jean to Santiago in 40 days. Most people seem to do it in the 33-36 day range. Some are faster, some are slower.

I walked with people who were walking 30+ kms (18 miles) a day. They seemed to have a ball. I couldn't keep up though.

I walked at a more comfortable pace for me. About 22 kms a day was the sweet spot (only 14 miles). I was probably one of the slowest walkers. Luckily I had plenty of time.

So. If you can walk 20 miles a day. Day after day. Comfortably. Then you'll be fine. Depending how fast you actually walk (which should NOT be a speed target) you will arrive by lunchtime or later.

It's also a question of 'hours on the road'. Whilst I was a very slow walker, I still mainly 'kept up' with my Camino family, because I just walked more hours than they did... They would be washed up and on their first drink by the time I crawled into town :oops:

Probably the best advice that is shared on this Forum, is not to plan too much! If you plan too much and things go wrong you'll be disappointed. So always have a Plan B a Plan C etc. What if after a few days you find 20 miles a day is too much? Or too little! Stay flexible....

I was just happy to reach the end of each day still able to walk. It was only when I was a few days from Santiago I actually started thinking about the 'end'....

Sorry, rambling on a bit. But you get the idea....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I fly out on August 25 from Virginia to Paris. I look at this as a marathon not a race. I'm not in any hurry and not one to plan ahead, so I like your advise. I too am married to beautiful Thai wife and she also tries to tell me all. Thanks for your advise and enjoy it with your wife, my wife is not a walker and neither is our two year old. Buen Camino..

I fly out on August 25 from Virginia to Paris. I look at this as a marathon not a race. I'm not in any hurry and not one to plan ahead, so I like your advise. I too am married to beautiful Thai wife and she also tries to tell me all. Thanks for your advise and enjoy it with your wife, my wife is not a walker and neither is our two year old. Buen Camino..

An interesting perspective, but a marathon is just a longer race ;) Sorry I'm not try to a smart ass... Let me explain. Just another 'opinion' of course :oops:

What worked for me, and we are all different of course, was this.

I never really thought about the destination. Genuinely didn't bother that much about it. I was just grateful for completing each day. If I had to stop after two weeks, I had already gained so much from my journey.

My goal each day was just the next 'bit'. The next coffee stop, water fountain, lunch stop etc. Those small 'bits' added up to another day of walking. Each day got me further from my start point. And for each day on the road and the ability to keep moving, I was grateful.

There came a point where I stopped counting the kms I had walked, it was about 80 kms from Santiago I think. Only then did I really start the count down to Santiago as I realised that I might just make it after all. With a bit of luck and a good tail wind. Because it ain't over till it's over ;)

For me it really is about the journey, not the destination.

It's often said that the Camino is a metaphor for life. We don't, or shouldn't at least, live our lives merely to look back at the end of it and give ourselves a pat on the back for a job well done. The joys along the journey are what makes life worth living surely :) Same on the Camino.

What made my Caminos so special to me were the chance encounters with truly amazing people, the conversations, the very special places, the intensely emotional and spiritual moments.

Bit of a ramble, sorry. :oops:

The point? As others have said. Don't worry about how far you will get. Just start. Maybe slow down a bit, and let the Camino come to you....

Last edited:
I did my first Camino from SJPP to Santiago last summer (mid Aug to early Oct) at a slow pace of about 10-12 miles per day. I met someone who was doing the entire walk in 20 days or so (he did it every year). His reason was to get the exercise and focus. My reason was primarily to enjoy the walk, have a chat with some people, and just enjoy life. We both achieved our objectives. The most important thing is to think up your initial reason for walking (it will change once you start) and then take enough time to do it. The absolute worst thing you could do would be to shortchange the time or force yourself into physical activity to make some arbitrary number of days. It's not wrong to split it up into two or more trips. It's not the Great Race! It is YOUR Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Calum, just in case you come back on the forum and read all the replies above . . .

but if I was keeping that sort of pace would I be missing the point?

Yes.

Hi Calum,
My
Hi Calum,
I just completed the Camino along with my wife and two adult daughters. We started in Pamplona. For us it was very worth it but it was very challenging. I am 69 yo and in good shape. I have been hiking locally, 4 -6 miles daily over the past 6 years. On the Camino we averaged 25 kms a day (approx 15 miles). Sometimes more and sometimes less. How we were feeling and the terrain and weather all played an important role in planning our next day's goal. If your goal is to make it into Santiago I would recommend working backwards to determine where to start your Camino or plan to skip over some portions by taking a bus or taxi. While 20 miles a day is doable it seems a bit ambitious.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies - and all genuine and encouraging too!

It seems I would miss it if I just walked past in a White Rabbit rush so I will walk for the sake of walking rather than purely building the miles up then just see how far I get and hope to get back to it another time if need be... or think twice about where to start out! I have been daft enough to set off IT band problems in the past or pull a muscle in the sole of the foot with bad boots and it isn't worth the hassle. An openness to change seems to be the only starting point.

It might be satisfying to finish it but I picked up a walker once who had done it in eighteen days or something just walking and sleeping in his bivvy bag. He struck me as a perpetual passerby.

Thanks again. I will keep it in mind and keep walking.

( note - During this time I have been staying with my wife who was suddenly unable to walk for a week. Even walking is not something to be taken for granted. )

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks again for all the thoughts. Once again I feel drawn to go off and give it a go. There will never be enough time and money for this sort of thing but it is worth making a start - and worth remembering the GR 65.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.