• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it worth taking a bus to Italica?

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
Knowing we are almost certainly going to have to bus a section when Grandpa joins us, I am not feeling too particular about having to walk every step of the way. With this in mind I'm wondering whether it would be prudent to take a bus to Santiponce and have all day to explore the ruins, and still have energy to walk the 13km to Guillena (where we are planning on booking at Albergue de la Jara so we can arrive late - we hate hurrying in museums)
What would you do?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked along the river route and quite enjoyed that but it was the middle of summer. Saw a few scrawny horses, lots of pretty wildflowers, wild garlic. No idea what the more suburban route is like. I suppose it depends on the day and the weather. I think we spent about an hour and a half plus at Italica checking out the ruins and the mosaics. I walk fast though. Italica is closed on Mondays though. You could check out the Monasterio De San Isidoro Del Campo. I didn't see that but apparently it has an impressive retablo and the pictures on Tripadvisor look good as well as a whole host of 5 star reviews so you could definitely make a morning of it.

The walk along the river and through farm lands to Santiponce is not inspiring. Nor, frankly, do I find Italica that interesting (understand that I write this on a rest day in Merida where the Roman ruins are spectacular). The highlight of the walk to Guillena, for me, is the walk through the countryside after Italica. My idea for the perfect first day? Start at the Cathedral in Sevilla at 8, say a prayer for protection and guidance to the statue of Santiago, start walking, stop for desayuno at a local cafe, and then just walk to Guillena. Take it all in; the spirit of St. James, café con leche, the traffic of Sevilla, the filth of the industrial area, the nondescript suburbs, and the beautiful farm land. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've been wondering the same question @Kiwi-family ... and here are two great answers that reflect my own thoughts :D I'll look forward to reading about your choices.

I would walk from Seville, I have now walked it three times. Last time river route(ironically I did not know I was taking the river route, and had planed to have breakfast in the other little suburb). At Italica they held on to my backpack while I strolled around in comfort. Overall it is not a very long day so if you can have an Albergue booked and arrive at around six you should be ok. I have stayed in both Albergues, the Mun has improved a lot and is now good, the private one was closed in Feb 2016 for renovations (Should now be open) I stayed there before and is very friendly.

We walked from Seville through Camas to Santiponce. We stopped in Camas for lunch. The waitress was very gracious, wishing us Buen Camino. Another man stopped us outside to inquire about our Camino. We stayed in Santiponce and viewed the ruins before walking on. I loved touring the ruins and wouldn't have wanted to miss them. Plus this makes an easy first day, which we liked.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh yes! We got many Buen Camino's and honks as we were walking! It was nice to be welcomed so graciously.

The walk out of Sevilla is not terribly inspiring (have done it twice, along the river not knowing that there was any other way) but I enjoyed seeing the ruins in Italica, nothing like Mérida of course but worth the detour. It is a short day so either way you will have time to have a coffee and make it to Guillena at a decent time.

Like others have said, I think you have plenty of time to walk to Italica, have a couple hour visit at the site, and then walk on to Guillena. The site itself is quite large, and knowing that you've got kids in tow might make it a longer visit, knowing how kids love to explore. But I also agree with the others that that first part from Sevilla to Santiponce is not one of the Vdlp's highlights. I've walked on both routes, the river route, and the route through Camas, and though I didn't feel afraid or uneasy, the river route does have some slightly sketchy parts. Nothing wrong with taking the bus, spending the morning in the site, eating lunch in Santiponce (there are several cafes right outside the entrance, all catering to big bus crowds, so there isn't much in the way of great food, but you can get some cold drinks and a seat in the shade), and then walk to Guillena.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also walked both ways, river route and the Italica route and comparing the two, I would still recommend visiting the Roman ruins. I really liked the amphitheater especially after watching the "Spartacus" movie just before starting VdlP. I think, in my mind, I made Italica the starting point of the ancient Roman Route that VdlP is based on. I wouldn't plan more than 2 hours for visiting the ruins though.

The river option passes close to homeless dog shelter and some of them (maybe 3) were staying outside the shelter without any supervision. As much as I don't have fear of dogs, it was probably one single time on the Camino where I actually had goosebumps passing them with caution. If someone is afraid of dogs, I wouldn't recommend this route.

Italica - airplane view:

155.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Instead of staying an extra night i Sevilla, I booked a night at a hotel in Santiponce, at half the price of a cheap Sevillahostel, took the bus and had an interesting Roman afternoon in Santiponce and a short, wet, muddy day to Guillena in the rain the next day. Enjoyed the Roman sites vey much.

When you come from New Zealand any Roman ruins are exciting! We don't have much in the order of things over 100 years old down here! When Italica features before Merida, well maybe it will be exciting in and of itself and foreshadowing greater things to come! For us, this trip is not just about the walking but also heavily weighted towards exploring the history and architecture, so a stop at Italica is definitely in order, but it certainly sounds like it is totally possible to do on one day without exhausting ourselves completely. Thanks for your input.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back