• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is itossible to get the certification after stopping after l

kmk1986

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

Due to my knee problems, i have to stop right before O Cebreiro. Since i started walking from Leom, i have walked more than 100km. Am I qualitified to get the certification or do i have to complete my walk?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hola

I'm sorry to hear you have had problems. I wish you a speedy recovery. If by certification you mean the Compostela, I'm afraid you have to walk the last 100 kms to Santiago to qualify for that. That doesn't diminish your achievement thus far and your credencial will provide many memories of your camino. Keep hold of it as you may return again to walk from Cebreiro to Santiago to receive your Compostela if that is important to you.

Best wishes

John

If you want to continue, try:
ice,
ibuprofen,
rest for a couple of days, and
use a baggage service and trekking poles

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
....& arnica rubbed onto your knees, got me to the end.
(& now have to do exercises for the rest of my life or my knees :) )
Good Luck, David

Arnica will help - after a few days as so many homeopathic substances you must allow it time before it kicks in - you can find it in Spain as "Traumeel" in most pharmacies and health stores. There are an amazing number of these Natura type stores along the camino for those who just have to have their morning linseed bran tea or organic mung beans for dinner.
S

Sad if you have to stop now. If you are able to buy a tubigrip it might help. (Tube of elasticated support bandage)
Terry uses his over the knee with a turn down top and bottom per the instructions This is to stop rolling and tightening of the bandage.
I use a smaller section, about 1/3 cut off the tubigrip, and folded into equal thirds. I pull this up to just under my knee for support.
It works for us and might just mean you can complete your pilgrimage.
Slightly bending the knees on descents helps the knees and hips too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone!

Thank you for suggestions!

I actually am taking ibuprofen and using elastic bands. Unfortunately, i'm still having so much troubles walking. I actually tried to walk about 1km to test, but i had to give up.

Looks like camino wants me to come when i get older...

Buen camino!

That is sad, but hopefully you will return to complete your Camino. Check with the Pilgrim Office, or with Johnnie here as to whether you can pick up from where you left (had your last sello) when you return, or whether you need to start 100km out.

In 2010 we felt that the Primitivo 'spat us out'. This year it embraced us.
Trust your knee(s) heal(s) soon and you are able to return.

When you get to Santiago, go to the Pilgrim's Office and ask for the other certificate - the one given to pilgrims who do not profess to have walked for religious reasons. I have one of those and it is a lovely confirmation of the kms that you did walk and at least you don't go home empty handed!

Attachments

• Certificate.JPG
    Certificate.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,334
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sillydoll // this sounds stupid, but I stamped only one sello each day. I just checked out FAQS on pilgrims' official website and it looks like i have to get two sellos each day. Does it really matter and how do I get the other certificate you mentioned eariler? Am i even qualitified?

No - not at all. You only need two stamps per day for the last 100km - not all the hundreds of km that come before!
And yes, you do qualify.

sillydoll said:
No - not at all. You only need two stamps per day for the last 100km - not all the hundreds of km that come before!
And yes, you do qualify.

Sil, I'm sorry but this information is not correct. The certificate is intended as an alternative way of recording the pilgrim's arrival in Santiago - it is not given to anyone who simply walks part of the Camino or asks for one. It is also discretionary and it is very much up to each member of staff. Someone stopping in Cebreiro is much more likely simply to be given the sellos of the cathedral and not the certificate. It is best to avoid disappointment.

Tia Valeria said:
That is sad, but hopefully you will return to complete your Camino. Check with the Pilgrim Office, or with Johnnie here as to whether you can pick up from where you left (had your last sello) when you return, or whether you need to start 100km out.

This is very much individual choice. Some people who wish to get a Compostela simply go back to where they left off, others start 100 kms out. All good!

John

John

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh dear!!! Then I have been misleading people for over ten years!! I think you should notify the CSJ as well because our information (CSJ of RSA) came from their webisite:

(A certificado is available for those who arrive at Santiago as pilgrims, but not meeting the Cathedral's requirements for the Compostela.)

Many people I know who have only walked short sections of the Camino - not the entire last 100km - have received the 'Tourist' certificate because they did not qualify for the Compostela.
I too have received it after admitting that I didn't walk the whole way on the Camino Ingles when we got a taxi from el Ferrol to Neda and started walking from there.

So what you are saying is that people who do not walk the last 100km should not register their walk at the Pilgrims Office at all?

Can't enter the debate about whether kmk can get the certficate for the León - OC part but the other grounds for receiving it are that you walked Sarria to SdC as walker or for cultural purposes ie not for spiritual or religious reasons.

My son has both Compstella and walking certificate because he felt his 2006 journey was just a walk and was happy to receive the cert.

My last Camino was Leon to Sarria. I couldn't get to SdC because of lack of time but I certainly intend to return in 2013 and pick up from Sarria.

Kmk sorry to hear the news but don't push yourself. The Camino has been there for nearly 1500 years and if you do not do yourself a permanent injury you will get back.

Hola Johnnie,
Can I clarify my post - and show my ignorance. Having never walked the Francés (apart from Palas de Rei, coming off the Primitivo) I was not sure whether the OP was outside or inside the 100km distance when she stopped. Therefore, if within the 100km, whether it is possible to restart from where the last sello was given and getting another to show it as the start point that year, or would she need to go back to cover some ground again for 100km that year? If over 100km away this obviously isn't an issue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
sillydoll said:
Oh dear!!! Then I have been misleading people for over ten years!! I think you should notify the CSJ as well because our information (CSJ of RSA) came from their webisite:

(A certificado is available for those who arrive at Santiago as pilgrims, but not meeting the Cathedral's requirements for the Compostela.)

Many people I know who have only walked short sections of the Camino - not the entire last 100km - have received the 'Tourist' certificate because they did not qualify for the Compostela.
I too have received it after admitting that I didn't walk the whole way on the Camino Ingles when we got a taxi from el Ferrol to Neda and started walking from there.

So what you are saying is that people who do not walk the last 100km should not register their walk at the Pilgrims Office at all?

Hola

There is no facility at the Pilgrims' Office for registering a camino which is less than the last 100 kms into Santiago. These are not recorded at all.

Pilgrims are only invited to "fill in the form" after their credencial has been checked that they have walked at least the last 100 kms. If they tick the box that they walked for "religious" or "religious or other" reasons they receive the compostela if they tick "non religious" motives for their camino they will receive the certificate. This is what the CSJ quotation refers to.

On the Camino Ingles, Neda is recognised by the pilgrims office as being over 100 kms from Santiago.

The OP stopped at Cebreiro which is on the border of Galicia and is 160 kms from Santiago.

I hope this clarifies.

John

I will let the CSJ of SA know about this ruling.

I apologise to the pilgrim who I advised incorrectly.

Thanks Sil

It is interesting because it was one of the first things I asked about because I am very interested in the numbers of pilgrims who walk the Camino Ingles from A Coruna which as you know is the more authentic starting point. I was disappointed find out that stats have never been kept on "incomplete" caminos. I'm still trying to find ways of getting the Coruna arm to qualify! If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Best regards

John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
A few years ago Queen Sofia visited the Pilgrim's Office after travelling a few kilometres accompanied by members of the Royal Guard. At the end of their journey they requested the 'Compostela' for her Majesty. But Cebrián refused because they had not fulfilled the requirements of the 100km minimum. They were offered a souvenir certificate instead.

I suppose its different strokes for different folks!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Johnnie.

Allow pilgrims to take a bus to Hospital de Bruma and waymark the route to A Coruna with blue arrows. Or maybe a yellow arrow with AC at the bottom.

Insist that the pilgrim passport be stamped at HdB. The route is little used and the albergue is large enough to allow arriving pilgrims to stay overnight before setting off for AC, as well as accomodating those heading towards SdC.

The pilgrim then walks to AC - 32km. If possible find places where a "recognised" sello could be obtained to show that the pilgrim walked that way. Perhaps a bar might be persuaded to have a "recognised" sello available for pilgrims. (I have often thought that Carolina's bar could be invited to have a "recognised" sello as she and her father both speak excellent English as well as Spanish.)

From AC return to SdC. The journey would then be over 100km. If the dated sello are in the correct order then the Compostella can be issued.

Pilgrims of olden days had to walk both ways and actually you do see things in a different way when walking geographically backwards.

There must be places where the route could be diverted while still getting over the 100km. For instance near the Hostel Alba the road diverges. The Camino (going backwards) goes to the right but there is a signpost saying AC 213 O Burgo 3km AC 11km, and that leads to the left, arriving, I assume, at O Burgo a different way. This route also takes you past a large pension which might be used by those who cannot get into AC the same day.

Just a thought. I walked both arms in 2009 and would have been very happy to have gone through HdB 3 times as the albergue and the hospitality offered there is 2nd to none.

philip

Philip

I'm still jet lagged and now quite understanding this. Can you walk me through your suggestion:

Get the bus to Bruma and stay overnight at the albergue - shouldn't be a problem

Then walk to Coruna getting sellos along the way - all sellos are recognised (?)

Then where do they go?

I think the best solution is to start in Coruna and walk to Santiago perhaps with a route in and around Coruna - starting at the Church of Santiago then out to the Torre de Hercules, some other medieval places of interest then out to O Burgo along the promenade then joining the route. My difficulty has been getting the total mileage necessary whilst keeping the route meaningful.

John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
In the 'not so olden' days, pilgrims arrived at A Coruna in their thousands and traveled to Santiago by bus, train and car.

For the amateur historians out there, the attached article from the New York Times on the 1965 Holy Year might be of interest.

Attachments

• 1965 Holy Year .pdf
    83.9 KB · Views: 48
Sorry Johnnie, I was thinking of the warning issued that sellos from bars along the Sarria to SdC are not sufficent to get you a Compostella.

As you are aware there are not many places along the Ingles where you can obtain a sello from a town hall or an albergue.

Could not trustworthy bars or shops be issued with a sello that is known to the Cathedral Office and is therefore "recognised" as being valid for the purposes of issuing a Compostella?

What makes a journey meaningful is open to debate. I could question why walking at least 100km into SdC is regarded as the requirement for a Compostella.

But the 100km is the criteria, not that you have walked through Holy Places but simply that you have covered the distance.

The Tower of Hercules has been there since ancient times - though the present tower is clearly not that old - but I do not regard it in any way as a Camino icon - it is a tourist attraction of some historical significance.

I am not sure that we have to make the journey meaningful at every single point, for myself simply being a foot pilgrim that is crucial.

By all means if you want to take me to places that are historically important then please do so but for me that is not what makes a pilgrimage.

I was looking for a solution that is simple, straightforward and could be set up in a very short space of time.

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
Sorry Johnnie, I was thinking of the warning issued that sellos from bars along the Sarria to SdC are not sufficent to get you a Compostella.

Philip - I'm afraid that the warning that pilgrims should not get sellos from bars is a camino myth. The Pilgrims' Office has no views on where sellos should be obtained - only that they are obtained!

I was looking for a solution that is simple, straightforward and could be set up in a very short space of time.

But I still don't understand your suggested route - Santiago by bus to Bruma and then walk to Coruna - then what?

John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I presumed that it meant to then walk the route in the normal way, hence staying in Bruma a second time.
My own thought would be that there could be a case made for a specific compostela/certificate for this shorter route only, stating that 'xxxxx has walked 75km on the Camino Ingles from Coruna.....' It would recognise the historical nature of the route.
It would not be issued for those walking shorter distances on other routes, including not completing 100km+ on the Inglés from Ferrol

Iria Flavia to Santiago is a very special historic route. A special compostela for that one would be very popular.

Probably why there is no special concession for the Inglés. There would be too many other special cases too.
Back to the drawing board.

Maybe back to our original idea for 2011 of walking fom Ferrol and then crossing to the Coruna arm at Carral. The side roads are there but nowhere to eat /stay. Crossing somehow to Coruna itself and then walking on could give 100kms if a route could be found which made sense and had some accomodation.
Does this need a life of its own as a thread under the Camino Ingles Johnnie? with these last few posts copied there?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Johnnie, I thought my post was clear enough but obviously not.

Yes, walk from HdB to AC, turn round and walk from AC to SdC. That would be 32+72km according to your CSJ guide. That is Compostella distance.

In 2009 I walked Ferrol to SdC then took the bus from Santiago to AC and walked back - meaning I passed through Hospital twice. It was lovely to walk both arms and I enjoyed walking Hospital to Santiago twice in as many weeks.

I suspect that the Office would resist issuing special certificates so we have to come up with a 100km solution.

Is there any possibility of a Padron to AC to SdC route?

Philip - I'm afraid that the warning that pilgrims should not get sellos from bars is a camino myth.

In December 2010 I saw a lady have her request for a Compostella rejected because her credential was only stamped at bars. She was pretty upset.

I thought you yourself had posted a warning on this issue.

I am sure that such a note has also appeared in the CSJ bulletin.

Philip - I'm afraid that the warning that pilgrims should not get sellos from bars is a camino myth.

In December 2010 I saw a lady have her request for a Compostella rejected because her credential was only stamped at bars. She was pretty upset.

I thought you yourself had posted a warning on this issue.

I am sure that such a note has also appeared in the CSJ bulletin.

I've asked everyone in the office and the conclusion is that if a compostela was refused then it certainly would not be because sellos came from bars. See the policy on the Pilgrim Office website - the Office doesn't care where the sellos come from and never has. The guidance on this issue published by the CSJ in the inside of their credencial is simply wrong.

Regards

John

John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Coming late to this discussion. There are some basic rules. People from Galicia might have to get transport away from their homestead in order to walk back 100km!
I've walked once or twice short stints without two sellos per day and presented my Credencial in pilgrim office and personnel have scrutinized papers and never, thankfully, refused Compostella.
However this doesn't mean I recommend power walking, stay cool and when having cafe con leche don't forget to ask for sello.
Buen Camino.

Johnnie, thank you for the clarification. However, in order to prove this to myself I will have to walk Sarria to SdC and stop in as many bars as I can, taste their wares and get their sello. :lol:

Seriously, it is good to know and I hope that you are able to persuade CSJ to delete their incorrect information.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back