• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is July too hot for Camino Via de Plata?

Susan B Johnson

PuraVida
Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
Hello!
I did my first Camino this summer (Camino Ingles y Finsterra) and now want to return with my entire family. I would like to try a new route, but won't be able to start until mid-July. Is it too hot to go then? Has anyone every walked it in mid July?

I see there are some steep ascents, but Via de Plata is not described as mountainous. How does Camino Ingles compare with Via de Plata?

Thanks!
Susan

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Extremadura has a reputation of being the frypan of Europe. When it is hot it is VERY hot and you have to be prepared for temps being anywhere between 30 and 45 deg C. If you are starting from Sevilla July is a very hot time to start and there are days where you have to carry all your own water. Expect a lot of complaining from family members. It's a trip I would do by myself in a heartbeat (but I'd still hesitate knowing the conditions) but I couldn't imagine dragging other family with me.
Assume 6 weeks to do the whole thing but be generous with rest days. The VDLP is not that hilly with most inclines being gradual apart from a few brief exceptions. The Sanabres part of it is great in mid July but I had already acclimatised to the heat and had my act together. A lot more stops are possible though.

I walked the VdlP in mid August 2 years ago.
It was over 50 C on the asphalt for over a week...measured by the rare bike rider that came by with on board computers and from the locals. It stayed near that temperature for a couple weeks..until Salamanca.
It was then still in the mid 90 F after that. It did cool after Zamora and on to the Sanabres.

I was alone in the albergues...no one else until Salamanca. There were several people walking out of Sevilla on the first day....but they dropped out or changed over to one of the other routes right away.

It really is a test of endurance to walk in that heat every day.
Not sure why I thought I had to give it a go...but I did make it.
I won't be repeating it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Very hot. Long distance between some water sources.
Do not recommend doing the Plata in July or August.

Try for early spring. Late fall.

Yes, people have done the Plata in July. But, not the best of places for family hike.

One guy posted he got up super early and napped mid day during the heat. Or found a place when it got too hot.

dont advise doing the Plata with family in July.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your feet will be getting cooked through your soles walking on the blacktop when the temp gets over 35 deg. Walking on roads is hard and you need to walk on dirt as much as possible. I'm with Grayland on that one. 35 deg was when my hiking umbrella came out to give me extra sanity by dropping the temp around my head by a degree or two. And I live 13 degrees below the equator in Australia so I'm used to the heat of the tropics. The heat is a Dry heat but that poses another threat as you dehydrate without noticing you are sweating as it evaporates quite quickly. In July in the South I would be carrying about 1l/hr of water supplies. On the day you do Almaden you need to carry all of your water (or hope that the water in the trough in the Park is okay and is there). That's a 30 km day anyway in your first week. The first 18 km is road but at least you can do that early. Some people taxi that stretch. But the 12 km in the park are still a decent walk and I would assume you would take it slowly because you are only in the early stages of your Camino.

I am not trying to be scathing, but weather statistics are widely available, please look at them and make your own mind up, rather than putting the safety of the 'entire family' in the hands of forum members. We don't know if you mean children, the elderly, or whom.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Susan B Johnson it looks like you are avoiding the Camino Francés (although that is always my first choice) but what about the Camino del Norte? It is very beautiful, with the sea on one side and lush green mountains on the other. The sea tempers the weather and there are lots of opportunities for swimming in July.

Hello!
I did my first Camino this summer (Camino Ingles y Finsterra) and now want to return with my entire family. I would like to try a new route, but won't be able to start until mid-July. Is it too hot to go then? Has anyone every walked it in mid July?

I see there are some steep ascents, but Via de Plata is not described as mountainous. How does Camino Ingles compare with Via de Plata?

Thanks!
Susan
It'S definitely too hot in July, have just returned from it, had to change route from Salamanca to Astorga, instead of continuing on the Camino Sanabres, as heat just too much! It's beautiful but better done in cooler weather - I will return to finish it next spring :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Susan B Johnson it looks like you are avoiding the Camino Francés (although that is always my first choice) but what about the Camino del Norte? It is very beautiful, with the sea on one side and lush green mountains on the other. The sea tempers the weather and there are lots of opportunities for swimming in July.
I heard that Camino del Norte is not very well marked. I heard that one will come upon the kilometer marker, but there are no arrows as they are readily found elsewhere. Was that your experience?

I am not trying to be scathing, but weather statistics are widely available, please look at them and make your own mind up, rather than putting the safety of the 'entire family' in the hands of forum members. We don't know if you mean children, the elderly, or whom.
I read a great deal before doing the Camino Ingles. Nevertheless, in some ways I was ill-prepared for the terrain and weather. The most useful pre-travel information I got was from Camino walkers. My family consists of my spouse and two adult children.

I heard that Camino del Norte is not very well marked. I heard that one will come upon the kilometer marker, but there are no arrows as they are readily found elsewhere. Was that your experience?

I walked the Norte in 2014...it is very well marked. I think there are some old posts from prior years past that indicted there used to be some areas with sparce marking...I found the Norte to be very well marked.
The number people walking for the first time was surprising.
It seemed they were avoiding the crowds on the CF.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
VDLP will be hot hot hot, Inglese a little bit of everything, I called it the CF in shorthand. Tag on the way to Fisterra and Muxia, I loved it. Buen Camino

@Susan B Johnson we had no problems following the arrows on the Norte. We did have the Cicerone guide but rarely referred to it.

I am not trying to be scathing, but weather statistics are widely available, please look at them and make your own mind up.

Only you know what you and your family can manage... Depends as well on what you are used to...
Being used to Northern France and South England temperatures, I found it too hot last year, it became at times an endurance test. We managed it, carrying LOTS of water (which warms up very rapidly) and an umbrella for shade but I can't say I enjoyed it.
Up to you and buen camino whatever you decide:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the Norte in 2014...it is very well marked. I think there are some old posts from prior years past that indicted there used to be some areas with sparce marking...I found the Norte to be very well marked.
The number people walking for the first time was surprising.
It seemed they were avoiding the crowds on the CF.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, that's why I took the Camino Ingles and Finsterra the first time--to avoid the crowds on CF. Were you mostly out in the open, walking along the coast? One thing I loved about Camino Ingles was spending so much time beneath a canopy of trees.

Only you know what you and your family can manage... Depends as well on what you are used to...
Being used to Northern France and South England temperatures, I found it too hot last year, it became at times an endurance test. We managed it, carrying LOTS of water (which warms up very rapidly) and an umbrella for shade but I can't say I enjoyed it.
Up to you and buen camino whatever you decide:)

We are from Minnesota, so we seem to tolerate extremely low temps better than high ones. I think we will either do Camino Ingles again or try Camino del Norte. Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, that's why I took the Camino Ingles and Finsterra the first time--to avoid the crowds on CF. Were you mostly out in the open, walking along the coast? One thing I loved about Camino Ingles was spending so much time beneath a canopy of trees.

Actually most of the route close to the sea is up high on cliffs overlooking the water.
Panoramic views.
The distance is 800km so you will experience a wide section of terrain...forests, country roads, dirt paths through fields.....just about the whole range of walking conditions.
Many towns on the sea.

Actually most of the route close to the sea is up high on cliffs overlooking the water.
Panoramic views.
The distance is 800km so you will experience a wide section of terrain...forests, country roads, dirt paths through fields.....just about the whole range of walking conditions.
Many towns on the sea.

and about 75% of the route is on pavement. I loved the Norte for the scenic of beauty of the coast line. You see beautiful cities like San Sebastion. I did run into a couple hiccups on the Norte as to waymarking. But it wasn't any worse than any of the other caminos (sans Frances).

We are from Minnesota, so we seem to tolerate extremely low temps better than high ones. I think we will either do Camino Ingles again or try Camino del Norte. Thanks!

We just finished Norte , you can't get lost
However you can get very tired in the first week especially.
The first day is harder than the corresponding one on the Frances and by a fair margin.
We started in Bidart and took two days to Hendaye just to warm up after the long flight.

The first day on the CF would normally be from SJPdP to Roncesvalles.
My experience is that this is a more difficult first day than Irun to San Sabastian.
Unless, of course you wimp out at Orrisson

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Time to move on to another Camino.

Blessings.
Martyseville

How hot can it get? This hot (photo taken last week)....click on image to see the temperatures....
IMG_2161.jpg

Well if the heat doesn't get to you, the dreaded scorpion will.

This year seems to be more of them. Nasty sting!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first day on the CF would normally be from SJPdP to Roncesvalles.
My experience is that this is a more difficult first day than Irun to San Sabastian.
Unless, of course you wimp out at Orrisson

The way to Roncesvalles from the top can be taken by road in wet weather,
Wish there was an option after Irun for a road on some decents.
Gentle climb from STJPP and then the decent.
There are many more ups and downs on the 27km to San Sebastian.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello!

Thanks!
Susan

Quick response, because my brain has shut down. I´m sitting in Zamora as a hospitalera right now, it's midnight and 32 degrees. It´s too hot to do anything, never mind walking. We have very few pilgrims walking through, some cyclists. All of them start with "mucho calor", even Spaniards born and raised down South. Some people leave the albergue at 4 am, to avoid heat. They all are exhausted and their "camino experience" is rather limited due to extreme heat. It is a surving game.

MariannaP, yes hot in Seville as well.
Thanks for the Plata heat report.
A friend of mine did the Plata in July few years ago. Started getting up at 3 am and walking at 4 am. Slept after noon.

Even if you leave last week of March, right before Feria de Abril, it is too hot.

How do you carry water? Distance between water points can be long on the Plata.

Did you start from Seville or Cadiz?

Seen any scorpions yet? Be careful around rocks and fallen branches. They love to hide under such with spiders.

Don't touch the centipedes. Horrible itch will follow. Don't scratch. Go to pharmacy or clinic right away.

The sting from any of these insects can be very painful. ... They are found throughout the warmer regions of Southern Spain.

Be careful. Love to hear how your Camino is going.

Strangely, I never saw a scorpion or a centipede form Sevilla to Santiago...or maybe the heat just had me in a daze.
Saw lots of army ants walking in lines actually wearing a groove in the paths..lots of them.
Some were even carrying large grasshoppers and other insects.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Strangely, I never saw a scorpion or a centipede form Sevilla to Santiago...or maybe the heat just had me in a daze.
Saw lots of army ants walking in lines actually wearing a groove in the paths..lots of them.
Some were even carrying large grasshoppers and other insects.
Grayland, next time you are in Seville go to the other side of the airport. There are a bunch of abandoned buildings where a former USAF base (San Pablo Air Base) was. We bike ride there. There are lots of scorpions inside the abandoned buildings and all around them. Lift up some rocks mid day and you will see a scorpion! I have seen lots of them and centipede.
Huge wasp nests as well.

Ants look like they have a major highway system going! Big trucker ants carrying grasshoppers and other insects to Super Mercado Ant.

Take a look at this
http://hubpages.com/education/Dangerous-insects-arachnids-and-creatures-in-Spain

Possibly you didn't see any because walking during the day. They nap during the hot day. Then head out at sundown for cerveza, tapas and humans.

I have seen some very bad looking scorpions in Southern Spain.

Odds are you will not see one when walking the Camino DL Plata.
Just watch out when picking your pack up from resting on a rock.

Quick response, because my brain has shut down. I´m sitting in Zamora as a hospitalera right now, it's midnight and 32 degrees. It´s too hot to do anything, never mind walking. We have very few pilgrims walking through, some cyclists. All of them start with "mucho calor", even Spaniards born and raised down South. Some people leave the albergue at 4 am, to avoid heat. They all are exhausted and their "camino experience" is rather limited due to extreme heat. It is a surving game.

I'm behind you in Fuente De Cantos tonight. It's so hot, so there is no joy walking. I usually start at 5, the stage to Almaden I started at 4:30 and that stage almost killed me. I'm alone at albergues. I already had thought to give up, but today feel better :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just came from the route Salamanca - Astorga. It was very hot. I went from 5:30 (in darkness) to a maximum 12-13h. At 7, 8, 9h was no open bar for coffee or something else. All water must be worn with you. However, peace and authenticity have been worth it for me.

I would not advise this.

It's going to be very hot in Andalucía and Southern Extremadura, some legs will have no or few watering opportunities between destinations and little shade. Each person needs to be prepared to carry 3 liters of water minimum.

Going through the mountain passes in Galicia is much more arduous and lengthy on the Plata than the Frances for example.

You may find this helpful-

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ta-and-the-camino-sanabres.41690/#post-428141

Well, read this local newspaper report and decide for your self.

https://vivecamino.com/la-guardia-civil-rescata-a-un-peregrino-de-65-anos-en-sevilla_no_162/

Google Translate gives this:

The Civil Guard rescues a pilgrim from 65 years in Seville

This neighbor of Lebrija initiated the Camino de Santiago last Tuesday, and heat and dehydration caused his disorientation

Dehydration played him in yesterday, a trick to a veteran pilgrim performing the pilgrimage route to Santiago in Seville. The Civil Guard in the Sierra Norte and the local police had to act Guillena and rescue a man of 65 years who was lost in a forest road Castilblanco.

This neighbor of Lebrija initiated the Camino de Santiago last Tuesday; heat and dehydration caused his disorientation and physical problems that could not cope. The man called to the emergency room at 18:00 pm, warning that he felt his legs and was dizzy.

Six officers of the Civil Guard and police began searching the pilgrim, who was found two hours later in a no passable road, 4 kilometers from Castilblanco. Officers found the 65 year old man lying under the shade of a tree and disoriented. The pilgrim was treated at the Health Center Castilblanco de los Arroyos, but later was transferred to the Hospital Virgen de Valme.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
did it in 2014; way marking is fine !

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back