• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is late October too late to start walking the Le Puy route?

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I was planning to walk the Le Puy route mid September this year. However, due to a medical issue, the earliest that I can start is the third or last week of October. Is this too late to start walking this route as I will take about 5 weeks to finish at SJPdP. Any information and advice would be much appreciated. Bon chemin.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked it in September. Don't know about October but I would say when you are walking that late in the year you should be prepared for any weather contingencies. Your pack will be heavier but you will be safer. I would also check Gronze.com (open it on Google Chrome if you can't speak Spanish as it will give you a decent enough. I have also heard that the Miam Miam Dodo guide is excellent for its maps and resources regarding places to eat and gites and other places to sleep. I would highly, highly recommend that you bring enough food every day as you never know if there will be anything open to eat. Lots of the villages have restaurants and markets that are closed most of the day. I would also try to call ahead to see if the place you want to stay at that night will be open. If you can't speak French. I can't, and lots of the people on the Le Puy route can't speak English, communicate with the owner of the place you are staying the night before to call to find out if the next nights gite will be open. I would highly recommend staying in places that offer dinner and maybe breakfast. You may be far from a restaurant or shop for food for dinner and the meals are heavenly. Remember most people do not speak English on this route. It will be tougher because of the time of year and the language barrier. But do it! It is beautiful and I had a great time. Watch for the markings as they are smaller than the yellow arrows on the Spanish routes.

the Le Puy route ... the earliest that I can start is the third or last week of October.
You will have two challenges: lodging and weather. Weatherwise, this is the shoulder season at some elevation, so you can expect cooler days/nights with more rain than September. Layers and waterproofs are your friend. There is no need to carry blankets as the lodgings will provide.

Which brings me to lodgings. There is a two-week school holiday that falls on the latter two weeks of October in 2019; also roughly half the lodgings will close for the season on AllSaints (1 Nov). So planning lodging in advance (several days to weeks in advance is not too conservative) and getting reservations is vital.

TLDR: No, it's not too late to start. But it is too late to start without any planning.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dear Friends, I am always impressed by the helpfulness and with the speed that I receive feedback to my posts on the forums. Even though I had just posted my inquiry yesterday, I've already received enough information to make my decision to postpone walking the Le Puy until next year, either April or September. I have walked multiple caminos. At the age of 71, I prefer to not have more complications while walking, especially more cold and rain than necessary : ) Once again, thank you for the helpful information. Bon chemin.

My husband and I (73 and 69) walked from LePuy to SJPP 2018 from mid September to 3rd week of October. As we neared the end we found several of the gites were closing that week. It was a lovely walk, but I would advise you to wait until you can start early or mid September.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back