• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is our backpack big enough

Paul van Gool

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
Hi, we plan to walk the camino starting mid april 2015. Our first time. We will start in Saint Jean Pied de Port.

We have been looking at backpacks and are considering buying the Osprey Stratos 34. It both fits me (M/L version) as my wife (S/M version). The only thing I have doubts about is the volume it can cary. is a 34 liter pack enough? I see many people on teh forum mentioning much bigger packs, upto 65L.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hola

This certainly is a very hard question to be answered as so many personal factors comes into play.
Some pilgrims goes with the absolute minimum while others pack more stuff.
How tall/weight/physical condition/experience/... has a lot to say about what back pack is needed.
The season of year is another factor which changes the volume as well.

For April, some pilgrims will go without a sleeping bag while others bring one. And this would probably depend on how weather is the year you are walking.
Some questions cannot be answered until closer to the starting date.
Some years April could be summer like, others snow could be covering half the way.

Personally I use a 'large' backpack.
My physical condition allow this and I prefer to bring all I need with me, as well as I have extra unused space in the pack, which I don't use.
I have walked with pilgrims carrying ≈ 34 L packs and they loved it.
So... conclusion... ummm.. collect the items you want to bring and go to the outlet store and try different size backpacks with the gear inside.
The only real thing which could tip the boat is the decision to bring a sleeping bag or not.
Most albergues have blankets, but some pilgrims, me included, needs to sleep warm so we bring our own.
That said, you can of course buy a sleeping back on route, if you find that you need one.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

What a dang good answer, Lettitgo.

And as another reference point to the OP, I'm an average sized guy, I don't carry a sleeping bag but I do carry a liner and I still need a 45l backpack. Actually, I use a 45+10 in case I need to expand it to carry more. I don't carry any water inside the bag.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The problem with smaller backpacks is that you almost always have to take everything out to get to something at the bottom. I preferred a larger one although 65L is more than you need

I walk with the Osprey Tallon 33 Liter, (as mine is a size small it really is a 31 liter). My sleeping bag and silk liner fit fine at the bottom, it is the perfect pack for me. Everything is divided into ziplock bags and taking everything out is not at all a big deal because there is so little gear anyway. I always have room on the top to put some food too. The key, I think, is the size/weight/make of the sleeping bag. http://www.backpacker.com/gear/slee...ultra-light-spiral-down-hugger-thermal-sheet/

You cannot know for certain until and unless you test-pack the 34-liter bag will all the gear you plan to carry. If you have relatively smaller clothing (and XXL or XL is certainly larger in volume and weight than an S or M) this makes a difference. The other difference is the amount of stuff you plan to take.

Secondly, consider the issue of "dangly bits." This is stuff that rides on the outside of your rucksack. You either attach stuff directory or tie a sack to the top or bottom of your rucksack, or clip items to the outside of your rucksack, or stuff in the stretchy pockets that most rucksacks now come with.

Some packs, like my Osprey Kestrel 48 liter have top lashing points that I use for ready access to raingear or fleece layers. I can reach back and pull the rolled up items from under the bungee cord shoelaces I use to hold these lightweight items in place.

This was cheap, light and color coordinated too. Buy the stretchy shoelaces at most running or outdoor stores. You can get longer hanks of stretchy cord for tent support purposes. But the bungee shoelaces were more elegant, at least to me.

My Kestrel 48 also has sleeping pad / bag straps incorporated to the bottom of the bag. This is where my lightweight sleeping bag and extra fleece layer ride in a waterproof Sea to Summit roll-top Wet Bag. The 8-liter size seems to work best for me. The sleeping bag is stuffed in first without using a compression bag and the fleece follows. If I do not need the sleeping bag, this becomes my pillow for the night. For a shorter Camino, the sleeping bag rides inside the rucksack's designated bottom sleeping bag pocket. The extra fleece is rolled up and rides on the top.

Third, and lastly, consider if you will carry items in a separate, accessory chest, waist or shoulder pack. I have seen many people wearing a rucksack over a shoulder bag strapped across their chest. It is a highly personal choice.

My only recommendation regarding these separate, usually special purpose carry bags, is to NEVER carry a bag that broadcasts what is in the bag. For example, if you have an expensive digital SLR camera or a video camera, DO NOT carry it in a camera case the screams "expensive camera" inside. Instead, I suggest you obtain an unbranded or generically branded case that will not be recognized as a camera case but will protect your camera.

Here is my reason. I served as an Amigo at Sanitago for two weeks last year (2014). On a daily basis people reported stolen cameras. Many of these people, when asked (I was curious) admitted they were carrying a separate camera bag that matched their make of camera (Canon, Nikon, etc.). They might as well have worn neon signs... Once in large towns and cities, you have to get your street smarts turned back on - fast.

On my second Camino, I wore an attached waterproof chest pack from www.zpacks.com. This two-liter bag was inconspicuous, converted to a waist or shoulder bag, and carried snacks and small stuff I would want while walking, so I would not have to take my rucksack off.

For 2015, I am upgrading this to a chest / belly bag designed for distance runners from www.solomon.com. Both are designed to be fastened to the upper front shoulder straps of any rucksack harness. This arrangement adds up to 5 liters of volume, and shifts several kilos of weight from your back to your front to improve walking balance. It DOES work.

Sorry for being so long, but I try to answer anticipated questions.

I hope this helps some.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, we plan to walk the camino starting mid april 2015. Our first time. We will start in Saint Jean Pied de Port.

We have been looking at backpacks and are considering buying the Osprey Stratos 34. It both fits me (M/L version) as my wife (S/M version). The only thing I have doubts about is the volume it can cary. is a 34 liter pack enough? I see many people on teh forum mentioning much bigger packs, upto 65L.

I would look at the pack ... it should have an internal or external frame and a hip belt so the load is transferred to your hips instead of your shoulders. I'm not sure you can get a frame pack of 34 liters and if it does then it likely won't have much weight advantage empty over a 60 liter pack.

That being said, conventional wisdom is that the larger the pack the more you will put into it.

I started from SJPP on 5 Sept this year with a 29 liter frameless pack and bought a 32 liter frameless in Pamplona. The 29 liter was too long for my 15 inch spine and dragged on my shoulders causing neck pains and headache. BOTH held all I needed at about 14 - 15.5 lbs (6.5 - 7 k - I think) with a little room at the top. The 32 liter was perfect, and I carried it all the way to Santiago. (btw - I turned 70 on the Camino)
Probably best to get the pack, load it and walk with it. Return it for another if it doesn't work.
Buen Camino! Terry

I was happy with my 34 liter Gregory; I think it was a "Jade ". It is true that almost everything comes out, but I didn't mind that, as I carried so little. Putting it back in was a way for me to take inventory and make sure that I had all my items. I took only what I wore/used daily (with 2 exceptions) and one extra set of clothing. The exceptions to daily use were an Altus that lived in an outside pocket and a ziplock that held cooler morning gear, accessible in a top pocket.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There are a couple of simple issues here - backpack size requirements are pretty much related to your body mass and the season you are walking in. The linkage is how tight you want to pack, or as @t2andreo points out, how much you are prepared to have hanging on the outside of your pack.

As a quick rule of thumb, take your walking body mass in kg, divide that by two, and that is about the size of pack (in litres) that you will need for a summer camino. For spring and autumn, add up to 25%.

So if you are 70 kg or lighter, a 34 li pack will be about right for summer. I am not, and haven't walked in summer, so I keep finding myself using a pack around 45+ li. I also carry everything inside my pack, apart from my rubbish bag when I am carrying that. It doesn't make that much difference on the camino to have things outside the pack, but it does in the other places I walk where I want a clutter free pack that won't snag on tree branches and bushes.

@lettinggo provides also provides good advice about testing your load. A good outdoor retailer will help you trial pack if you bring your gear in, and probably offer some helpful tips about load distribution at the same time.

If you find yourself moving well away from my rule of thumb point, it might be time to rethink your packing list, and make sure that you are not carrying too little or too much for the conditions.

We have been looking at backpacks and are considering buying the Osprey Stratos 34. It both fits me (M/L version) as my wife (S/M version). The only thing I have doubts about is the volume it can cary. is a 34 liter pack enough? I see many people on teh forum mentioning much bigger packs, upto 65L

Perform a test packing with your items you want bring, you may find that you have extra room left over.
Your choice of a panel loading pack is a wise one, my first pack was top loading (Osprey Exos 46 and half filled) and I downsized to a Gregory Z30 which is a panel loading pack which makes it easy to access everything inside. I chose the Gregory Z30 because it was the smallest internal framed pack with a full width hip belt and I still have some extra space.

What a dang good answer, Lettitgo.

And as another reference point to the OP, I'm an average sized guy, I don't carry a sleeping bag but I do carry a liner and I still need a 45l backpack. Actually, I use a 45+10 in case I need to expand it to carry more. I don't carry any water inside the bag.

One thing which I found to be a really good advice is:
If you are flying and buy a air travel backpack-bag, (this would be a hard shell/water proof), once you begin your walk you empty the backpack and use the 'airline bag' as an inner liner.
This way your gear will be 100% waterproof. Inside this bag, the ziplock system works fine to have the gear organized.

And just to give some reference, I use a 58L for winter Caminos.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At the age of 68 in 2014 I decide a 35l pack with a 2 changes of clothes and a silk liner was all I needed to walk the Camino. I walk fully packed on the days I haven't decided where I will spend the night. On days that I know where I want to stay I ship my pack forward with Jacotrans, etc. and walk with a small Marmot day pack which I carry in the top of larger bag with my daily needs. Fully packed I can walk almost 4km/hour and with the day pack it is about 5km/hour.

Last edited:
.............. the bungee shoelaces were more elegant, at least to me......
What I LOVE about this forum are the small tidbits that one comes across (earlier this morning it was a zip cleaner - thanks to t2andreo) and now he mentions bungee shoelaces - a product I'd NEVER heard of!!.
It's a great way to hear of how different people tackle different issues (throughout the colourful spectrum of life!!!).
Thanks to everyone
Suzanne :)

I think the size is fine - my wife and I both carried 35l packs but we both agreed we'd take the bigger ones next time just leave them half empty. The bigger packs tend to have a top and bottom compartment so you don't need to unpack everything every time. I hate stuff hanging off the pack so we had to be really neat about the packing. The bigger pack would have been easier to toss stuff in. If you take a big pack be really careful not to fill it. Part of the joy of our trip was no shopping because we had no space for it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks to you all for the replies.
We have decided to buy the Osprey Stratos 34 and not a bigger one.
For a small pack it has many usefull features. Like several compartments with zippers. We do not like a toploader.
It also has very broad hip belts and shoulder straps. And very important for me the pack has a trampoline mesh that keeps the pack free from my back.
And, also very important, it will force us not carry to much on our trip. :)

Walked CF this year with Osprey Stratos 34, L size , 2013 model. Year 2014 model is slightly different. By far the most convenient pack I ever had.

I found also pretty useful Deuter helmet holder, which could be attached to this pack with 4 small carabin hooks. Great to carry boots while walking in sandals. In the side pocket you can put a tracking umbrella (for instance from Euroschirm), so no other rain gear necessary if walking in summer.

As it was suggested earlier on this forum, IKEA Frakta (901.491.48) bag was a really good solution to protect the pack during transportation.

...........I found also pretty useful Deuter helmet holder, which could be attached to this pack with 4 small carabin hooks. Great to carry boots while walking in sandals. ....
What a brilliant idea. I hadn't thought about what to do with the boots if you wanted (needed) to have a break and walk in sandals.
Many thanks for this suggestion, koknesis.
Suzanne :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
How about looking outside the box? Here is my stuff for the next Camino. An Osprey Talon 6 Hip Bag with two stuff sacks and sandals. 3K in wet and 4K in dry weather. Shown here as in hot and dry weather with softshell and waterproof in bags with spare clothes/toiletries/etc. A lot less than the 10K I started my very first with! It should help a lot with back perspiration not having a pack on as the dry bags only go on my lumbar region. It has two 600ml bottles and the space in the belt for food. :):):)Bag.jpg

How about looking outside the box? Here is my stuff for the next Camino. An Osprey Talon 6 Hip Bag with two stuff sacks and sandals. 3K in wet and 4K in dry weather. Shown here as in hot and dry weather with softshell and waterproof in bags with spare clothes/toiletries/etc. A lot less than the 10K I started my very first with! It should help a lot with back perspiration not having a pack on as the dry bags only go on my lumbar region. It has two 600ml bottles and the space in the belt for food. :):):)View attachment 15017
Al, let me know how it works out. 4K beats the h@#l out of 10 plus K

I'm not having a problem doing my training with a 10 kilo load (it's the tent) - but hey, I've got the Aarn pack.....

I do prefer a bigger pack, with space to spare. Never was any good at getting the genie back in the bottle.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Paul praat je nederlands, vertrek ook in april voor de tweede maal vanuit saint jean pied de port

Danny, ja ik kom ook uit Nederland. Wie weet komen we elkaar daar tegen. De exacte datum dat we vertrekken staat nog niet vast.

For me, 35L to 40L is perfect. The lighter the better. I've walked with a 37L and now I have a Gossamer Gear Gorilla which is 40L (main body) and another 6L with the outer pockets so 46L total but it's so light at under 800 grams that I don't mind the extra size.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Don't you worry!! We (my wife and I) walked both with an Osprey 28 Liter pack and had space enough. We even shipped goods back in Burgos. You will not need any cold weather gear in April and even you don't actually really need a full sleeping bag. We only used liners. Almost everywhere you can wash and dry your gear. It will cost you some money, but you save a lot of KG's in extra clothes. Have fun and enjoy!!

I walk the Camino Frances in May/June 2013 with a 30L pack. It was plenty big enough, bigger is not necessarily required but as you will find, each of us has a different opinion.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Paul van Gool
I would suggest that you read the threads about need for bags/cold weather gear for April before deciding what you need and therefore the size of your pack. Having to buy stuff for cold weather means you get what is available and at whatever weight, plus having to then fit it in your pack. It is better to have a slightly large pack into which everything fits and is of known weight. A larger pack is not necessarily a heavier pack. Size - 35-40lt should be OK. Mine at 30lt will not take a sleeping bag and Terry had it in his 45lt pack.
Good fit and comfort is the thing to aim for.

I had a 45 Dueter in April 2014. The fit was perfect. Was wearing most of my clothes. Had a bag and liner ultralight. The smaller size would have been more than enough. Also had what I now refer to as too many "unnecessaries" - such as headlamp, Swiss army knife, etc, etc, all of which became gifts. None of these were new as I have a house full of this stuff accumulated over the years. I'd go with the fit, think the size is fine (unless you are carrying a 4 lb bag, etc). Buen Camino.

The Osprey line of packs seem to be unequaled regarding features. I have an Osprey too, a 32 litre. It is not so much the capacity of the pack as the weight that it could allow you to carry. I have heard that pack weight should not exceed 10% of your body weight but generally, 20 to 22 lb or 10 kg should be your goal. Remember, whatever you pack, you will carry for 800+ km.

One final note. It seems that the Pyrenees are dotted with personal belongings from over packers desperate to shed weight. On your pilgrimage, watch for this and pack a bit lighter, lol.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm thinking of starting my next Camino from SJPdP naked and just picking things up along the trail. This will do several things including making my climb easier, cleaning up the trail and ensuring that there are many unoccupied beds near me so I will get a good night's sleep.

Hi Paul,
I walked the Camino this spring with an Osprey Ariël 55. A much bigger pack. I used that because it fitted perfectly and was very comfortable to wear. Carried about 10kg without any troubles. I am 51 year old woman, normal weight. For me comfort was more important than size.

My personal experience: I have been training by using my backpack US military issue made out of gortex...have no idea what it weighs-don't care. My advice is do not get hung up on weight. Most important is pack what you think you will need(this forum has supurb lists), and take off on a 5, then 10, up to 20 kilometer trail and ask yourself how you feel? Are you so soar you can't move? Are you extremely tired? Can you do the same distance tommorrow with the same weight? Or do you feel okay? I have been doing this since May 2014 and have already gone more than the distance of "The Way". I know exactly what I am bringing (thru trial and error), and it ends up the pack weighs in @ 12 kilos. I am going in spring and have no time restrictions-a liberty not granted to everyone. I say have fun, show respect to the trail and pilgrims, and let the experience spread goodness to everyone you contact. Merry Christmas-cya on the trail.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
using my backpack US military issue made out of gortex...have no idea what it weighs-don't care.
Many pilgrims avoid buying new equipment just to save a few ounces, but putting 7kg of equipment in a pack with an empty weight of 2kg also is not advisable. I started a camino with a 13kg total pack weight, and started throwing away or shipping home equipment right from the beginning. For those who are acquiring equipment, weight DOES matter, so keep it in mind. A pack should be comfortable, but a backpack with a lot of structure or heavy materials is not necessary for 7-9kg of content weight. Packs with no structure, such as the GoLite Jam, can be comfortable for some people, even though the pack's weight is carried on the shoulders and not the waist.

Many pilgrims avoid buying new equipment just to save a few ounces, but putting 7kg of equipment in a pack with an empty weight of 2kg also is not advisable. I started a camino with a 13kg total pack weight, and started throwing away or shipping home equipment right from the beginning. For those who are acquiring equipment, weight DOES matter, so keep it in mind. A pack should be comfortable, but a backpack with a lot of structure or heavy materials is not necessary for 7-9kg of content weight. Packs with no structure, such as the GoLite Jam, can be comfortable for some people, even though the pack's weight is carried on the shoulders and not the waist.

I too tried the GoLite Jam and wasn't fond of the weight riding on my shoulders, instead I chose the smallest framed, lightest, panel loading, air paneled back mesh, with a full width hip belt. That for me was the Gregory Z30.

My personal experience: I have been training by using my backpack US military issue made out of gortex...have no idea what it weighs-don't care. My advice is do not get hung up on weight. Most important is pack what you think you will need(this forum has supurb lists), and take off on a 5, then 10, up to 20 kilometer trail and ask yourself how you feel? Are you so soar you can't move? Are you extremely tired? Can you do the same distance tommorrow with the same weight? Or do you feel okay? I have been doing this since May 2014 and have already gone more than the distance of "The Way". I know exactly what I am bringing (thru trial and error), and it ends up the pack weighs in @ 12 kilos. I am going in spring and have no time restrictions-a liberty not granted to everyone. I say have fun, show respect to the trail and pilgrims, and let the experience spread goodness to everyone you contact. Merry Christmas-cya on the trail.

Weight does matter, you have people of all types walking, not all are capable of carrying heavy loads, for some an extra 2KG could cause someone to end their Camino early. I too was in the military and wouldn't even consider using a US GI rucksack, too heavy and bulky. The military doesn't make their troops carry 23-40KG loads on a daily basis walking 12-16 miles a day for 25+ straight days.
On the Camino, you're not bound by a mandatory packing list like the military, so why carry more than you need? I started at 11KG on my first Camino and by the end I was down to 8KG. Now from what I experienced, for my next Camino, I now have downsized my pack from a 46L to a 3oL and cut out items I carried but never used and now my pack itself is at 6.5KG with 1L of water and poles stuffed inside.
I've never met a soldier that happily volunteered to carry more weight in their rucksack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I love my Stratos 34, and definitely think it's big enough for walking the Camino. Best thing, is that it's carry on legal. No checking. That's Huuuge in my book. No waiting. Just land and go.

What leaves me baffled is when the questions is asked about what size pack is that no one recommenes a pack based on its weight. If you are planning on carrying 6kg to 8kg why would you use an Osprey stratos 34 which weights 1.25kg when instead you could use as an example a omm Mountain Mover 55 + 15 which weighs 1.420kg. The Mountain Mover gives you twice the storage as the Stratos for the same weight. The big plus with the Mountain Mover is that it is designed to stripped down to reduce weight further. You can remove the lid 218g also the internal frame 182g can be removed and be replaced with a foam sleeping mat which works well with light loads. For travellers travelling by plane the hip belt can be removed for storage inside the pack.

My Pink Perfection - Osprey Tempest 30 litre, containing 2 litres water, a down sleeping bag, silk liner and pillowcase, Cordura waterproof liner, waterproof jacket and trousers, warm top and bottom clothes, and everything else I need. Under 8kg. Oh and I put it in the washing machine on a 60 when I get back and it comes up like new.

Attachments

• 20160709_155912.jpg
    20160709_155912.jpg
    927.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
What leaves me baffled is when the questions is asked about what size pack is that no one recommenes a pack based on its weight. If you are planning on carrying 6kg to 8kg why would you use an Osprey stratos 34 which weights 1.25kg when instead you could use as an example a omm Mountain Mover 55 + 15 which weighs 1.420kg. The Mountain Mover gives you twice the storage as the Stratos for the same weight. The big plus with the Mountain Mover is that it is designed to stripped down to reduce weight further. You can remove the lid 218g also the internal frame 182g can be removed and be replaced with a foam sleeping mat which works well with light loads. For travellers travelling by plane the hip belt can be removed for storage inside the pack.

With all due respect, I don't necessarily find the lighter the pack the more comfortable. I think it's a misnomer. Yes, my Stratos isn't the lightest pack. It's definitely heavier than my Talon 33, but for long trips, I find the Stratos MUCH more comfortable. True, you probably don't want a 5 pound pack for the Camino...but the Stratos isn't THAT heavy. I feel if the pack is comfy on you, that far outweighs(pun intended) having a lighter pack that may not be as comfy.

Interesting how very popular Osprey packs are

The most obvious reason is its a major brand that most retailers selling. I think that major retailers will always recommend equipment that to a first time buyer appear the more traditional option. I hate to use the example of traditional walking boots but I wonder how many people as first time buyer were recommended traditional boots over hiking shoes. I also wonder how many first buyers of packs bought them because of the features. Bell and whistles are easier to sell than plane and simple. I'am sure that with more knowledge peoples buying choice would be different. Again back to boots I wondered how many people who thought that they need traditional boots read the information on the forum and choose trail shoes and completed a walk without any problems.

Edit - making it clearer.

Last edited:

€149,-
The most obvious reason is its a major brand that most retailers selling. Maybe because they look hi-tek with the mesh back that they are easier to sell.
In fact, I'd say the most obvious reason is that they are very good packs, comfortable for many of us, quite light weight, and the company has (and honours) an excellent warranty.

In fact, I'd say the most obvious reason is that they are very good packs, comfortable for many of us, quite light weight, and the company has (and honours) an excellent warranty.

Does excellent warranty mean that you have had a pack that has broke?

My mountain mover is very comfortable carrying loads of 10 - 15 kg.

Last edited:
Does excellent warranty mean that you have had a pack that has broke?
I put my pack through a cycle or two of a hot clothesdryer (bedbug management). The back panel became somewhat curved, in a way that didn't match my back. Eventually I decided to buy a new one, but decided to call Osprey first to see if I could get a replacement panel. (It is removable, with some difficulty, and I should have removed it before the heat treatment!) I was prepared to pay for the panel and shipping. The representative said No, they wouldn't send me a panel, they would send me a new backpack if I would return the old one by mail. He then asked "by the way, do you know what caused the problem?" and I answered him truthfully. He said "Well, don't do that, next time."

This was less than a week before I was leaving home for 10 days in Toronto and then flying to Spain to walk. We discussed the timing, he was very obliging, and I rushed the backpack to the mail that day. A new one was waiting for me by the time I got to my brother's house in Toronto.

€149,-
I put my pack through a cycle or two of a hot clothesdryer (bedbug management). The back panel became somewhat curved, in a way that didn't match my back. Eventually I decided to buy a new one, but decided to call Osprey first to see if I could get a replacement panel. (It is removable, with some difficulty, and I should have removed it before the heat treatment!) I was prepared to pay for the panel and shipping. The representative said No, they wouldn't send me a panel, they would send me a new backpack if I would return the old one by mail. He then asked "by the way, do you know what caused the problem?" and I answered him truthfully. He said "Well, don't do that, next time."

This was less than a week before I was leaving home for 10 days in Toronto and then flying to Spain to walk. We discussed the timing, he was very obliging, and I rushed the backpack to the mail that day. A new one was waiting for me by the time I got to my brother's house in Toronto.

Thank you for your reply. Fantastic customer service.

My mountain mover is very comfortable even carrying loads of 20 - 30 kg.
The OMM range is not available here in Australia, but I don't think I would have chosen it for a long distance walk. How long were you walking with a 30kg load? And why that much? Even walking St Olavs Way with five days of food I don't think I was carrying more than 20kg.

The OMM range is not available here in Australia, but I don't think I would have chosen it for a long distance walk. How long were you walking with a 30kg load? And why that much? Even walking St Olavs Way with five days of food I don't think I was carrying more than 20kg.

Sorry the weight was a typo. I have changed it. The point I was making it is recommended that you should carry a weight no more than 10 % of your body weight ie 8 - 10kg then shouldn't your pack weight be no more than 10 % of that weight ie under 1kg.

The are plenty of packs out there under 1kg with a carrying load of under 10kg. If you want examples l could post links.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sorry the weight was a typo. I have changed it. The point I was making it is recommended that you should carry a weight no more than 10 % of your body weight ie 8 - 10kg then shouldn't your pack weight be no more than 10 % of that weight ie under 1kg.

The are plenty of packs out there under 1kg with a carrying load of under 10kg. If you want examples l could post links.
The 10% guidance is a rule of thumb, repeated here to the point of becoming a saw - it is wonderful advice without being founding in anything but magic and myth. Extending it to suggest that packs should weigh less than 10% of their load is completely unjustified.

I have done some weight measures on packs that I own, and they weigh between 45gm/li of capacity, and about 22gm/li of capacity. I have also observed that my packing density for a camino type load varies between around 200gm/li and 250gm/li. The latter density is both getting tightly packed and includes some heavier electrical items like my CPAP machine, 2 li of water and food. This would indicate to me that only the really light, adventure racing style packs will approach the 10% rule. More robust packs are more likely to be 12% or more of the total pack weight for the loads that I carry.

The pack I used this year was a Deuter Guide 45+, which weighs 32gm/li at its extended capacity of 55li. It has been my choice for other walks like the Milford Track, some bush walking here in Australia, the CI and other walks in Spain and trekking in England. Admittedly this is a more robust pack than one might need for the camino, where a pack isn't subject to the same treatment as I might give it bush walking here in Australia. It is also a dual compartment design that has many advantages when it comes to packing and leaving quietly on the camino, although I didn't really take advantage of that this year.

I have a lean design single compartment pack in the same size that is about 22gm/li, and having tried it for a number of short walks, I wouldn't ever consider it for longer multi-day walks like the camino. The design compromises to get the weight down include reducing the weight in the suspension system by reducing the thickness and width of the shoulder straps and hip belt, the use of lightweight materials for the bag itself, narrow straps with reducing holding power, etc, etc. It might have been a pack I could have tolerated with a light load in my 30s, but it is not a pack I will ever choose for the camino today.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.