Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is overnight sleeping in solo tent allowed on the Primitivo?

tonimac68

Time of past OR future Camino
planning my first june2018
I am a lifelong backpacker in the US and am planning on my camino for mid June this year. I have relatives in Santander and will walk from there to Oveido for the Primitivo. I have been reading the guide books regarding accomodations along the way and I was wondering if there are opportunities to sleep offtrail in a solo tent I have that only weighs 2lbs if an alberge is full. Do they allow the pitching of a small tent in their yard for a fee? Are there wildlife parks or areas that allow overnight camp?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A quick search of the forum for "camping" will take you to lots of information, discussion and occasional argument. Wild camping is illegal in most of Spain, especially in the national parks and similar environments. That said people do do it. Some Albergues with sufficient suitable outdoor space may allow camping but can be constrained by their licensing. There are occasional designated campsites though I recall few on the Primitivo. There is plenty, or at least a sufficiency, of Albergue accommodation on the Primitivo. The Norte (Santander to Oviedo) might be more challenging in mid-June as the holiday season commences but a tent isn't likely to be necessary. If you have a strong inclination to tent it please read the multiple threads on this topic.

Hi Tonimac, as Tincanter has said officially camping wild is illegal in Spain. However on pilgrim routes it is common to freecamp (with or without a tent). I have freecamped the Primitivo (twice) without any problems at all, and even had the blessing of locals often too, I also met many others, usually Spanish pilgrims freecamping too. Some albergues will let you camp outside but private ones will still charge you full price though so not worth it.

If you do, it is best to camp on open areas, open fields and verges, not on land closed off. Set up at dusk, leave at dawn leave no rubbish or trace of you being there and NEVER light a fire. It is worth while asking permission first if there is anybody around to ask. Also never camp in a tent within a few km of an official campsite, you will be reported/moved on.

I also slept often in village church porches and to the locals this seemed acceptable for a pilgrim too, they know what you are and that you will be leaving in the morning. In fact the locals were always chatty and supportive.

As said do a forum search as there are many topics on this.

Davey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used my REI quarter dome tent on three walks: Frances, Ingles and Portuguese.
Ditto what Davey says.
NEVER light a fire. I slept in same places/ways, and more, as Davey tells of.
Set up late. Pack up early. No trash. If possible ask for permission where appropriate.

Many on this forum are totally against any form of tenting. Each to their own. Arguments by ones on here such as weight. Not permitted. Unsafe. Etc proved untrue on three Caminos.

I found it very useful at most of the alburgues...sat up tent in back yards, on porches, patios, etc.

I always liked the idea I could sleep at most, if not all, Alburgues.. when one was full. No kept awake by snoring. Bag rattlers at 4 am. Yes been through those rude types. No bed bugs etc. Sleeping outside the Alburgues was great. Of course paid for my stay.

Did clothes. Sat up tent. Showered. Went out to eat with other walkers. Came back to my "house."

I am biking the VDLP in April this year. Will be using hammock. If no trees/poles avail then will go-to-ground mode.

On my earlier three walks I did not take any cooking ware. When I bike the VDLP / N 630 route (see my post in the VDLP room) I will take one light weight MSR stove.
I always have light weight Sea To Summit knife/fork/spoon set with me. Stove is for heating water only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Davebugg, thanks. Interesting reading.

I have stealth camped, legal camp, free camped, etc in many places. Out of towns/cities and in towns/cities in Spain, France, Germany etc.

Never had a problem.

That could be because exercise common sense: no fires, smoking, music, trash left, sat up at dusk, packed up at dawn, etc.

Did lots of tenting at Alburgues...was great. And did lots more stealth camping.

Two big things to employ when tent/hammock camping: respect for others/property and common sense.

I know of tenters who were busted because a quick look by the police turned up something illegal. DUMB. Be totally legal. Be totally sober. Be polite, respectful and calm when dealing with land owners and police. Gets you lots of Kms.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A quick search of the forum for "camping" will take you to lots of information, discussion and occasional argument. Wild camping is illegal in most of Spain, especially in the national parks and similar environments. That said people do do it. Some Albergues with sufficient suitable outdoor space may allow camping but can be constrained by their licensing. There are occasional designated campsites though I recall few on the Primitivo. There is plenty, or at least a sufficiency, of Albergue accommodation on the Primitivo. The Norte (Santander to Oviedo) might be more challenging in mid-June as the holiday season commences but a tent isn't likely to be necessary. If you have a strong inclination to tent it please read the multiple threads on this topic.
Thank you for your input.

I used my REI quarter dome tent on three walks: Frances, Ingles and Portuguese.
Ditto what Davey says.
NEVER light a fire. I slept in same places/ways, and more, as Davey tells of.
Set up late. Pack up early. No trash. If possible ask for permission where appropriate.

Many on this forum are totally against any form of tenting. Each to their own. Arguments by ones on here such as weight. Not permitted. Unsafe. Etc proved untrue on three Caminos.

I found it very useful at most of the alburgues...sat up tent in back yards, on porches, patios, etc.

I always liked the idea I could sleep at most, if not all, Alburgues.. when one was full. No kept awake by snoring. Bag rattlers at 4 am. Yes been through those rude types. No bed bugs etc. Sleeping outside the Alburgues was great. Of course paid for my stay.

Did clothes. Sat up tent. Showered. Went out to eat with other walkers. Came back to my "house."

I am biking the VDLP in April this year. Will be using hammock. If no trees/poles avail then will go-to-ground mode.

On my earlier three walks I did not take any cooking ware. When I bike the VDLP / N 630 route (see my post in the VDLP room) I will take one light weight MSR stove.
I always have light weight Sea To Summit knife/fork/spoon set with me. Stove is for heating water only.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. I assumed I would always pay for staying in the yards of albergues if they are full. I have a hammock, but it is much heavier than my MSR Hubba nx which is also a breeze to set up and freestanding. I almost thought of a bivy. I definitely would only be sleeping, not cooking and such. I just wondered if I could spend a night under the stars occasionally.

Free or wild camping is allowed in Spain, but there are many restrictions and rules that need to be observed. Here is one site which does a pretty good breakdown of the laws:

https://thespanishbiker.wordpress.com/the-book/travel-planning/camping/free-camping/
thanks for this great link. I will not be confined to completing my camino within a certain time frame, which allows me to "mosey" and soak in the vistas and local flavor ( which unfortunately sometimes means I am the last into camp when I am backpacking )so I was concerned that I might not be the first to the albergues to claim a spot. I can relax about that now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Davebugg, thanks. Interesting reading.

I have stealth camped, legal camp, free camped, etc in many places. Out of towns/cities and in towns/cities in Spain, France, Germany etc.

Never had a problem.

That could be because exercise common sense: no fires, smoking, music, trash left, sat up at dusk, packed up at dawn, etc.

Did lots of tenting at Alburgues...was great. And did lots more stealth camping.

Two big things to employ when tent/hammock camping: respect for others/property and common sense.

I know of tenters who were busted because a quick look by the police turned up something illegal. DUMB. Be totally legal. Be totally sober. Be polite, respectful and calm when dealing with land owners and police. Gets you lots of Kms.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am a dyed in the wool leave no trace backpacking tree hugger, so, I should be able to do "stealth" camping as you described. I am retired, so, hopefully I will be able to behave and not get in to trouble with the law...:) ya never know tho. thanks again, I am enjoying the conversations here.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back