• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is phone required to book accommodation on Le Puy route?

Hannah Marino

Time of past OR future Camino
Will walk from Le Puy in Sept to Santiago
Hi there,

In September do you need phone to ring ahead to book for accommodation or will it be fine just to turn up and see what we can get?
Thanks Hannah

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will need to make daily reservations for the most part. You may be able to get other pilgrims to make the call for you or ask the Gite owner where you are staying to call for you.

I would take a phone on the LePuy route if possible. You should also have a copy of the MMDD.

Email often works also, but one needs to write in French and work a little more in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We booked one day ahead, using MMDD and a mobile phone with local SIM card. All we needed were a few French phrases - but often the hospitalero was happy to do it for us.

Where you stay will ring ahead.
Tabac's in villages, gites in towns half way will ring ahead.....they are beautiful people the country french.
You MUST have the MMDD......no debate.

If phones don't work , drum drum's.

MMDD is Miam-Miam-Dodo - the french language guidebook for this route, for those that might not know this.

Would recommend you have the owner of the gite call ahead for you otherwise carry a mobile phone (pay phone are almost non-existent)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How about this guide book as I don't speak French? It is the only guide book I can find in English. My wife and I walked the Camino Francis in April - May of this year, loved it that much that we want to do the Le Puy route next year. http://tamborinetosantiago.blogspot.com.au/

' The Way of St James France: Chemin De Saint-Jacques De Compostelle - Le Puy to the Pyrenees (Cicerone Guides)'

How about this guide book as I don't speak French? It is the only guide book I can find in English. My wife and I walked the Camino Francis in April - May of this year, loved it that much that we want to do the Le Puy route next year. http://tamborinetosantiago.blogspot.com.au/

' The Way of St James France: Chemin De Saint-Jacques De Compostelle - Le Puy to the Pyrenees (Cicerone Guides)'

Hi Marbuck,

The guide book [MMDD] is really not about speaking french.
Its about the accommodation offered and the rooms , prices and meals available in each home/gite.
It is very easy to read and has places that will not appear on other guide books.
It shows whats available in each town/village and is exact with the distances.

Keep warming up around Eagle Heights for the first part of Le Puy.
Bon Chemin when you go , it will be wonderful and very different from Frances

The Way of St James France: Chemin De Saint-Jacques De Compostelle - Le Puy to the Pyrenees (Cicerone Guides)'
It is a useful guide for turn-by-turn instructions and history. However, the maps are not great, and it is not a good reference for specific accommodation information. Miam Miam Dodo is the best reference book for accommodations, but there is a Michelin map that is compact and has most accommodation phone numbers.

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/2067174010/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is a useful guide for turn-by-turn instructions and history. However, the maps are not great, and it is not a good reference for specific accommodation information. Miam Miam Dodo is the best reference book for accommodations, but there is a Michelin map that is compact and has most accommodation phone numbers.

http://www.amazon.fr/Carte-ZOOM-Chemins-Compostelle-Velay/dp/2067174010/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409055453&sr=8-1&keywords=le puy michelin

Thanks Thornley & Falcon269. I think I will order all three publications. I will read all three and take the one that fits our need the most. I will be back with more questions once we understand the route a little better, we are looking forward to the walk.

Hi Marbuck,

The guide book [MMDD] is really not about speaking french.
Its about the accommodation offered and the rooms , prices and meals available in each home/gite.
It is very easy to read and has places that will not appear on other guide books.
It shows whats available in each town/village and is exact with the distances.

Keep warming up around Eagle Heights for the first part of Le Puy.
Bon Chemin when you go , it will be wonderful and very different from Frances

You are right, Eagle Heights is a great place to train. We did most of our training for the Frances on the hills around there.

Marbuck, I've walked the Le Puy twice. MMDD is the only guide that is up to date with all accommodation options within 5 km of the path. Don't worry that it's in French. It is very easy to understand.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Thornley & Falcon269. I think I will order all three publications. I will read all three and take the one that fits our need the most. I will be back with more questions once we understand the route a little better, we are looking forward to the walk.

As Kanga has just said mate < MMDD
There is no need whats so ever for any other publication, save your money.
We were walking from Mont St Michel this year and had a week-10 days to spare , where did we go to fill in before Paris
Le Puy from Figeac to Cahors [ very slowly indeed] including the valley.
The GR65 is a beautiful scenic camino , accommodation first class and food as good as anywhere.
Take your time at the start , book a few days ahead and this can be done from advice in the gite you are now in and just enjoy.

Can the MMDD and the Michelin map be ordered from the French Amazon shop and posted to Australia

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought the MMDD in the tourist office in Le Puy.

We have been away on holidays in our own country and have just got home. So today we ordered the Michelin map and the MMDD. I received the Cicerone guide while on holidays and after reading through it I don't think it is what I require. It might all make more sense once I get the map. Still looking at a mid April 2015 start from Le Puy.

My MMDD and the Michelin map have arrived in the post. A little bit difficult to understand seeing as I speak no French, but it is slowly all fitting together. I am going through old postings on this site and comparing notes to what is in the book which helps. Come next April we will be ready. Thanks to everybody who recommended the MMDD, and a special thanks to Falcon269 for sending me the Amazon France link for the book and the map, it worked well. The map is really useful as it gives elevations, just like our friend Brierley does in his guide book on the Camino Frances.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My MMDD and the Michelin map have arrived in the post. A little bit difficult to understand seeing as I speak no French, but it is slowly all fitting together. I am going through old postings on this site and comparing notes to what is in the book which helps. Come next April we will be ready. Thanks to everybody who recommended the MMDD, and a special thanks to Falcon269 for sending me the Amazon France link for the book and the map, it worked well. The map is really useful as it gives elevations, just like our friend Brierley does in his guide book on the Camino Frances.

What Brierley does not show you Marbuck in his guide ,
Chambers =rooms=how many people per each room.
Example is Plan 5 Saugues ....No 3.... 7 people only in rooms of 3-4 people.

On the Frances [ 3 times now] we have only used MMDD .
We seek small albergues with few rooms thus fewer people.
On page /plan 5 of MMDD on the Frances is mentioned a lovely pension in Burguete 5km past Roncesvalles. It states 2 rooms only... single 20e , couple 30e
It is called Casa Loigorri , not much of a mention in Brierely which is a shame as this little place was luxury with private baths.

The MMDD tells you how many people , how many rooms , how many in each room , prices for each individual tastes etc.
*The MMDD also shows you the elevation beside towns , that is all you need and mate its important.

The only elevation you need to worry about besides going along the water drain into Conques is the walk out of Monistrol [ Page 4 MMDD] You will climb 400m in 2km
St JPdP to Orisson was 600m in 8km
It is a morning walk Marbuck , not something for the afternoon trying to get to the next village and especially if there is rain...it would be dangerous .
Have a camera ready when you reach Montaure [ Page or Plan 4 again] and get a print for the garage....its seriously beautiful.
The scenery on Le Puy leaves Frances in its wake [ i think that will get a challenge but not many]
Bon Chemin

The only elevation you need to worry about besides going along the water drain into Conques is the walk out of Monistrol [ Page 4 MMDD] You will climb 400m in 2km
St JPdP to Orisson was 600m in 8km
It is a morning walk Marbuck , not something for the afternoon trying to get to the next village and especially if there is rain...it would be dangerous .
Have a camera ready when you reach Montaure [ Page or Plan 4 again] and get a print for the garage....its seriously beautiful.
The scenery on Le Puy leaves Frances in its wake [ i think that will get a challenge but not many]
Bon Chemin

Thanks for the advice Thornley, I had not realised that climb out of Monistrol was so steep. I have taken note of it and will do the climb as part of our morning walk.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back