• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Roncesvalles worth staying in?

Welly

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria to Santiago - May 2017
St Jean Pied d Port to Finisterre - April 2018
Hey peregrinos!

I'm walking my first Camino Frances starting end of April 2018 and wondered whether Roncesvalles is worth staying in? I plan on stopping in Orisson on the first night so wondering whether to stay in Roncesvalles or to continue on to the next albergue? Apologies if there is already a thread to do with this, I searched honestly!

Thanks for any advice!

Helen :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Roncesvalles monastery itself has been welcoming pilgrims since the eleventh century. Do plan to attend the evening mass in the ancient Romanesque church and the traditional pilgrimage blessing; this is a meaningful and poignant way to begin your camino journey.

Buen Camino!

wondered whether Roncesvalles is worth staying in
There isn't a simple answer to this. What are you looking for?

I liked the clean, modern, functional interior and the 4-bed compartments, after the long day's walk. That, plus the traditional aspects such as @mspath describes above, and the gathering of so many excited fellow pilgrims who are starting a common journey, make it a place I have very much enjoyed.

On the other hand, many people dislike the albergue for being a sterile modern overly-organized facility with limited food choices, and they don't like being in such a crowd of people.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you @mspath and @Cclearly. Great information, sounds like its worth staying in! I have plenty of time to walk but I sense this camino is already teaching me a lesson in stopping to smell the flowers and not over planning things! Bit of a habit of mine! Thanks again :)

Roncesvalles monastery itself has been welcoming pilgrims since the eleventh century. Do plan to attend the evening mass in the ancient Romanesque church and the traditional pilgrimage blessing; this is a meaningful and poignant way to begin your camino journey.

Buen Camino!

I thought the Mass was exceptional and I am not Catholic but Episcopalian. The pilgrims blessing jump starts the way.
Buen camino.

Indeed it was exceptional.

Without a doubt for me it has always been and shall be Roncesvalles where I have had ten exhausted but memorable stops during past caminos. Staying there one sensed history in the continuous monastic tradition of welcome to all.

January 2009 I walked 18 k in 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos road to the almost mythic monastery ! Saw few people and no other pilgrims; I was the only one staying in the old winter albergue.

The monk who stamped my Credential invited me to the evening benediction for pilgrims. It was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time. ...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are some nice reasons to stay as noted above but I'd offer a thought about forging on and enjoying Burguete if you have a few kms of steam left in your legs when you reach Roncesvalles (many don't after the 'up-and-over'). A nice hotel Hemingway (Hotel Burguete) used to stay in and and much better food options there than Roncesvalles. Since you're going at the end of April the crowds will likely be building up by then so also nice to stop/start in a non-Brierley stage and enjoy a little additional time of peace and quiet.
Enjoy the planning!

I loved staying in Roncesvalles, it was a cool little town and a very welcome stop after a tough day of hiking from Orrison. I stayed at this lovely quaint hotel called Posada de Roncesvalles. They also offer dinner and breakfast for a nominal fee which was great!!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Since you have a pretty short first day to Orisson, I would suggest after spending a little time looking around Roncesvalles to carry on to Burguete which is only a short walk from Roncesvalles and is easy dead flat walking. This might be partly influenced by being a big Ernest Hemingway fan! I found Burguete more interesting than Roncesvalles myself. I usually like to stay at places that are not the official 'end points' for stages. So many seem locked in to following the stages in various guide books exactly.

I think I am in the "have a look and pass by" camp. I trekked via Valcarlos (overnight stop) so I arrived in Roncesvalles around 13.00 (1.00 pm). They were not admitting pilgrims until 14.00 and as they were strictly enforcing the 183 limit (I think they were up to 135) I looked at other options. Two girls were going on to Burguete (to the clinic) via taxi - so I joined them and continued to Espinal. I would have walked the 6.8 km extra if the shared taxi option had not been available.
So I guess it is up to you to decide - Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Even though you are "only" walking from Orisson, I think you will find it a long day. The downhill stretch can be as exhausting as the uphill part. Get to Roncesvalles and have a rest, a nice dinner and a look around. Stay in the hotel if you want to be sure of a good night's sleep. You want to be in good shape for the walk to Pamplona. Don't rush!

Even though you are "only" walking from Orisson, I think you will find it a long day. The downhill stretch can be as exhausting as the uphill part. Get to Roncesvalles and have a rest, a nice dinner and a look around. Stay in the hotel if you want to be sure of a good night's sleep. You want to be in good shape for the walk to Pamplona. Don't rush!
Hola @Margaret Butterworth you might be right; as per above I walked the valley track and this might have been a slightly easier walk on the second day. From what I have read (and discussed with seasoned pilgrims) the climb from Orrison to the 1450 metre alto is quite a climb - and then you have that descent. The other point to note is that as this maybe either your first or second day you are probably not "fully Camino" seasoned. So a couple of shorter days is a good idea.

Without a doubt for me it has always been and shall be Roncesvalles where I have had ten exhausted but memorable stops during past caminos. Staying there one sensed history in the continuous monastic tradition of welcome to all.

January 2009 I walked 18 k in 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually dense snow up the Valcarlos road to the almost mythic monastery ! Saw few people and no other pilgrims; I was the only one staying in the old winter albergue.

The monk who stamped my Credential invited me to the evening benediction for pilgrims. It was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time.

The monk who stamped my Credential invited me to the evening benediction for pilgrims. It was lovely. The service was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated!!) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was that snowy night to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time. ...

OMG, what an amazing experience you had, esp being a single pilgrim. (I can't believe you walked this in January! There are all kinds of warning signs about how dangerous it is to do it in January. Plus there are markers of people who died along The Way over the Pyrenees in January!)

I was so exhausted by the time I got to Roncevalles, in April, that I didn't attend the Pilgrim Mass. I was carrying 14 kg, 15% of my body weight. However, I managed to off load a bit along the way arriving in Santiago with a comfortable 6 kg.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Last edited:
You might arrive too early as St Mike has informed.
We walked on to Burgette , less than 45 minutes, and had a wonderful bed in a nice private room.
Just what was required as we were a wee bit wet.
Either way will have its benefits .

I've been through Roncesvalles 5 times (plus twice hitch-hiking past without stopping on return trips), always strapped for cash, and because of this "handicap" welcomed officially and quasi-normally once (the magic '93 Compostela to home hitch-hike), officially and insultingly once (before the Dutch era), unofficially once (and the hospitaleros were very severely reprimanded before my eyes for having done so), and insultingly poorly twice (one of which is hands down the absolute WORST Albergue experience I've ever had, not excluding cases of having no other place to sleep than some narrow space on a dirt floor, far more agreeable than being treated like scum at Roncesvalles).

It's OK (and can even be rather pleasant, thanks to the other pilgrims) if you've the cash to pay for the tourist experience they've turned it into, but don't imagine for a second that it's any kind of "unmissable" Camino "experience".

My one truly magical experience I've had there was the unlooked and unhoped-for 1994 Roncesvalles --> SJPP crossing I did hiking on that first longer return journey, that I was doing just as unexpectedly as a Christian. It is so beautiful to do the hike back on the way to home down to SJPP from Roncesvalles ... the O Cebreiro crossing "wrong way 'round" is also rather beautiful BTW

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
2007, we were lodged in the huge stone building across the plaza and that was magical. Hundreds of people sleeping in row after after row of bunk beds with massive wooden chandeliers hanging from the high ceiling. Woken up with lights gradually being turned on while classical music filled the space. Magical.

Hey peregrinos!

I'm walking my first Camino Frances starting end of April 2018 and wondered whether Roncesvalles is worth staying in? I plan on stopping in Orisson on the first night so wondering whether to stay in Roncesvalles or to continue on to the next albergue? Apologies if there is already a thread to do with this, I searched honestly!

Thanks for any advice!

We stayed in Roncesvalles Monastery hotel,it is very good nice buffet breakfast and dinner,and the church it is beautiful.We really enjoy there after the hard walk,from S,J.D.P.P

I'll be the first to admit that the albergue at Roncesvalles was not one of my favorites, but neither is it on my list of "not recommended." Even if you're not spiritually inclined or are making the Camino for religious reasons, attending the Mass and receiving the Pilgrims' blessing is worth the stay there. It's a great start to the Camino whether it's the end of your first or second day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey peregrinos!

Thanks for any advice!

Depends, perhaps, on your motivation for walking. Spiritual? Then spend the time to see Roncesvalles.

Buen Camino!
I tried to book for September 8th and it was full. I am torn between booking somewhere else or trying to get in there. Do they keep some last minute vacancies open?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As with many albergues, I found Roncesvalles an experience I enjoyed, but might not do again. I was so grateful to have arrived there after the long up and downhill trek that I almost cried when standing in line. The hospitalerios were kind, welcoming, and encouraging. The dinner will unremarkable in food quality was an opportunity for us to talk to pilgrims that we still have contact with more than a year later. The facility was interesting and modern, complete with laundry, hot showers, lockers, but I had a top bunk and was bothered by someone smoking down the way in the night. We attended mass, but I was too tired to really feel the blessing. It was like many places. I am glad I experienced it and would recommend it, but might elect to try someplace different next time in Burgette.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Maybe this will be your first opportunity to understand that there will always be reasons to stop somewhere and always reasons to walk on another few km. You may not even know until you get there. Maybe the place in the next town will be better, but you don't know - you just make a decision and be grateful. You will miss some great places. You will miss some dumps and you may even elect to stay in some. You will be blessed. Be grateful and beware of wondering "what if"?

Wow! @mspath - this sounds like an incredible experience. Thank you so much for your response. It has helped me to decide to prepare to stay there :)

Thank you all very much for your responses! I love this forum, almost immediate advice from so many people. I may well just wait and see how I feel when I get there! I am spiritual @rappahannock_rev but for me I found the Pilgrims Mass at the Cathedral in Santiago the least spiritual bit personally. Hoping that I will have other spiritual and deeply moving experiences like I did this year Sarria to Santiago with fellow pilgrims. Thank you all for your thoughts :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wow! @mspath - this sounds like an incredible experience. Thank you so much for your response. It has helped me to decide to prepare to stay there :)
How do I say this carefully so as not to sound negative?
By all means, be encouraged by others' experiences, but don't be disappointed if your own is different. I remember sitting at the back in that same mass not understanding, not being able to see anything, shivering with cold and wondering why I wasn't feeling the weight of history as I sat there.
On another occasion my husband and I stayed at the most-raved-about albergue on a different route - we received an almost surly welcome and the singing around the dinner table which everyone extolled did not happen.
Your journey will be unique.

Hey peregrinos!

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Welly
I've just finished my first Camino in June, stayed in Orriso ( best advice I had) and also stayed at Roncesvalles. In my opinion it is worth staying at Roncesvalles, it a good easier introduction into the hike. The Albergue has recently been renovated and well equipped. I found that their pilgrims meal would have to be one of the best I had along the hike. Hope this has been of some assistance to you.
Tony

There isn't a simple answer to this. What are you looking for?

I liked the clean, modern, functional interior and the 4-bed compartments, after the long day's walk. That, plus the traditional aspects such as @mspath describes above, and the gathering of so many excited fellow pilgrims who are starting a common journey, make it a place I have very much enjoyed.

On the other hand, many people dislike the albergue for being a sterile modern overly-organized facility with limited food choices, and they don't like being in such a crowd of people.
I think this reply hits the nail on the head of the pluses and minuses. One additional plus. After checking in, go to the basement and they will do your laundry for a minimum fee. May not seem like a big deal after only two days but it is a service you will learn to appreciate after several weeks on the road. One additional minus. You will wait in line for your check in even if you have a reservation. All in all, I think it's a must do stop. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hey peregrinos!

Thanks for any advice!

As Someonelse has said, hotel Burguete in auritz burguete was really good, we enjoyed our dinner there, nice old fashioned hotel where Hemingway used to stay and probably the cleanest and tidiest village we've ever seen, exceptionally well cared for.

Hello Helen :),

I have not yet planned my arrival next year but end of April is in my time range. Perhaps we will meet.

Regarding Roncesvalles, I will not tell you anything more than all these wonderful Peregrinos have already provided. But there is one area I must punctuate, to your benefit.

When you come to a point where you stand at the brink of the Western edge of the Pyrenees, looking West over the North of Spain and down into Roncesvalles, follow the instructions given in the paperwork provided at the Pilgrims Office when you acquire the Credencial. TAKE THE PATH TO THE RIGHT!!!!! I took the left path which becomes, if it were a ski run, a DOUBLE DIAMOND slope pocked with sharp stones. It is supposed to be 3.0 km but it felt like 7 km. The right path is a bit longer but it is much easier downhill.

The climb up the Pyrenees to Orisson and then the climb down the other side is designed to weed out any weakness in your legs. Roncesvalles is 18 km from Orisson. Next year, I hope to spend some time with the Golden Cavallos of the Pyrenees found around the Cruceiro, (Iron Cross at the Road), about 8 km from Orisson. They are gentle and beautiful horses, intelligent and inquisitive. I know that it is not looked upon favourably to feed any animals along the Camino but an apple or two could fall from my pocket, or pack, or shopping bag after visiting the grocery store..... just saying.

And if I spend more time than the Sun usually allows, there is a primitive refugio about 6 or 7 km from Roncesvalles that can be used overnight. But take food and water to last that extra time. There is Roland's Fountain up there where fill ups are usually necessary.

I have started 3 caminos at Roncesvalles. That bus ride from Pamplona , the Old 'Barn' albergue , the 12 bed winter Monastery albergue in the snow and the Hostal - wouldn't change a thing - Magic experiences.

Is the right path the one that is walking right by the road? Or is it a path away from traffic?

When you walk down from the Kiosk at the top of the path, there is a signpost with a number of guide signs. Stand in front of that post and go right. There is an arrow that Roncesvalles is to the left but that is the steep way. The way to the right is longer but not nearly as steep or treacherous. There were times for me where it took about 5 minutes to descend 100 feet. Very slow going. What really needs to be considered is that the calves of your legs get worked out climbing up the East side of the mountains and the shins take it on the western decline.

Last edited:
Hey peregrinos!

Thanks for any advice!

The Monastery is newly renovated and great, it is still a fair way from Orrison to there so i would stop.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey peregrinos!

Thanks for any advice!

Perhaps I'll see you along the Way. My friend & I start walking on 20 April 18 from SJPDP. We're planning on staying in Orisson & then walking through to Espinal.

Elisha

First time at Roncesvalles: very late and very exhausted arrival, was in the overflow, on old iron double bunk with lumpy mattress, slept like a log. Loved it. (Admittedly, did take one look at shower outside in shipping container and went to bed unwashed. :p:p:p). Most fantastic memory was three brothers walking through the dormitories at 6 am singing Gegorian chants about Santiago in their deep, harmonious voices. Every single person in our dormitory woke up, smiled, and then turned around and went back to sleep. :p:p:p
Second time at Roncesvalles: arrived early, pleasant and kind hospitaleros, got a lovely bottom bunk in one of the beautiful, four bunk cubicles, modern inside bathroom, even got dinner. All of which was a nice change. But very noisy, very disturbed night and no gorgeous monks to sing me awake in the morning. Next time I plan to walk on another easy 6.5 km to Espinal. But if I was a first timer I would stay at Roncesvalles.

Last edited:
My first trip I stayed at Orisson, and sort of regretted it as there was not a lot to do. I liked the experience of sleeping in the mountains though, and it probably was good for the feet on the first day. The next day I got to Roncesvalles, and found the vast crowds and unfriendly staff there off-putting - so I walked on to Zubiri.
My second trip I stayed at Roncesvalles, it was beautiful, but so crowded and busy. I am glad to have walked the Napolean Way, but in my opinion - crossing the Pyrenees via the Camino Aragonese from Pau is better, it is very beautiful, less touristy and far more peaceful.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is the right path the one that is walking right by the road? Or is it a path away from traffic?
At Lepoeder pass there are two options to Roncesvalles: the steep and scenic forest path (as indicated in this stone marker) and the paved, easy road. This latter is marked in a wooden signpost as "Alternativa suave" (literally, "soft").I took a photo of the signpost, see it here

Last edited:
No one has mentioned the wonderful tour that is available before dinner that takes you from the upper gallery of the church down into the crypt, where you see the bones of pilgrims who did not make it over the pass. Really spectacular. Also at the mass we attended, when the pilgrims were called forward we stood in front of the Virgin of Roncesvalles and the congregation sang the Salve Regina. After that the priest asked the Virgin to bless all our pilgrimages and help us make it safely to Santiago. He also asked for us to pray for this congregation when we arrived in Santiago (that happened at several other pilgrim's masses we attended). So I would stay at Roncesvalles again, because it was such a special start of the camino for me, but would eat in the hotel and would skedaddle out in the morning to eat and get my first coffee of the day in Burgette.

Attachments

• IMG_2863.jpg
    IMG_2863.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
2007, we were lodged in the huge stone building across the plaza and that was magical. Hundreds of people sleeping in row after after row of bunk beds with massive wooden chandeliers hanging from the high ceiling. Woken up with lights gradually being turned on while classical music filled the space. Magical.

I don't know if the hospitalero who sings and plays the guitar to wake you up in the morning is still there, but if so, I wouldn't miss it. One of the highlights of my Camino last year.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey peregrinos!

Thanks for any advice!

I loved staying at Roncevalles in the renovated monastery. Awesome albergue. Had a gr8 pilgim service at the local church modelled on Notre Dame had a gr8 dinner in local restaurant and made some good friends.

Hey peregrinos!

Thanks for any advice!

I walked the Frances last May, stayed in Orrison and then in Roncesvalles. Definitely part of the experience whether you are Catholic or not. Great fun waking at 6am to a monk going from Dorm to Dorm playing guitar (Wake up Little Susie was one of his reptetoire!) Priceless memories.

Thanks Kiwi-family, no negativity perceived just good advice that was greatly appreciated!

How do I say this carefully so as not to sound negative?
By all means, be encouraged by others' experiences, but don't be disappointed if your own is different. I remember sitting at the back in that same mass not understanding, not being able to see anything, shivering with cold and wondering why I wasn't feeling the weight of history as I sat there.
On another occasion my husband and I stayed at the most-raved-about albergue on a different route - we received an almost surly welcome and the singing around the dinner table which everyone extolled did not happen.
Your journey will be unique.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you Tony I have opted to stay in Orisson too and just booked Roncesvalles! Advice greatly appreciated

Hi Welly
I've just finished my first Camino in June, stayed in Orriso ( best advice I had) and also stayed at Roncesvalles. In my opinion it is worth staying at Roncesvalles, it a good easier introduction into the hike. The Albergue has recently been renovated and well equipped. I found that their pilgrims meal would have to be one of the best I had along the hike. Hope this has been of some assistance to you.
Tony

Thank you Tony I have opted to stay in Orisson too and just booked Roncesvalles! Advice greatly appreciated
Welly, you say you booked Roncesvalles, but what about Orisson? 10% of the beds there vs roncesvalles.

I think this reply hits the nail on the head of the pluses and minuses. One additional plus. After checking in, go to the basement and they will do your laundry for a minimum fee. May not seem like a big deal after only two days but it is a service you will learn to appreciate after several weeks on the road. One additional minus. You will wait in line for your check in even if you have a reservation. All in all, I think it's a must do stop. Buen Camino.
Hello Helen :),

I have not yet planned my arrival next year but end of April is in my time range. Perhaps we will meet.

Regarding Roncesvalles, I will not tell you anything more than all these wonderful Peregrinos have already provided. But there is one area I must punctuate, to your benefit.

When you come to a point where you stand at the brink of the Western edge of the Pyrenees, looking West over the North of Spain and down into Roncesvalles, follow the instructions given in the paperwork provided at the Pilgrims Office when you acquire the Credencial. TAKE THE PATH TO THE RIGHT!!!!! I took the left path which becomes, if it were a ski run, a DOUBLE DIAMOND slope pocked with sharp stones. It is supposed to be 3.0 km but it felt like 7 km. The right path is a bit longer but it is much easier downhill.

The climb up the Pyrenees to Orisson and then the climb down the other side is designed to weed out any weakness in your legs. Roncesvalles is 18 km from Orisson. Next year, I hope to spend some time with the Golden Cavallos of the Pyrenees found around the Cruceiro, (Iron Cross at the Road), about 8 km from Orisson. They are gentle and beautiful horses, intelligent and inquisitive. I know that it is not looked upon favourably to feed any animals along the Camino but an apple or two could fall from my pocket, or pack, or shopping bag after visiting the grocery store..... just saying.

And if I spend more time than the Sun usually allows, there is a primitive refugio about 6 or 7 km from Roncesvalles that can be used overnight. But take food and water to last that extra time. There is Roland's Fountain up there where fill ups are usually necessary.

Thank you Michelle for your advice! It would be great if we did bump into each other on the camino. I met a wonderful woman on this forum and then in real life on the camino and we shared tapas, my camino family rocks! Wishing you buen camino and hope to see you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Perhaps I'll see you along the Way. My friend & I start walking on 20 April 18 from SJPDP. We're planning on staying in Orisson & then walking through to Espinal.

Elisha

That would be great to bump into you Elisha! I'll be about a week behind you though but you never know! Have a great time, buen camino!

First time at Roncesvalles: very late and very exhausted arrival, was in the overflow, on old iron double bunk with lumpy mattress, slept like a log. Loved it. (Admittedly, did take one look at shower outside in shipping container and went to bed unwashed. :p:p:p). Most fantastic memory was three brothers walking through the dormitories at 6 am singing Gegorian chants about Santiago in their deep, harmonious voices. Every single person in our dormitory woke up, smiled, and then turned around and went back to sleep. :p:p:p
Second time at Roncesvalles: arrived early, pleasant and kind hospitaleros, got a lovely bottom bunk in one of the beautiful, four bunk cubicles, modern inside bathroom, even got dinner. All of which was a nice change. But very noisy, very disturbed night and no gorgeous monks to sing me awake in the morning. Next time I plan to walk on another easy 6.5 km to Espinal. But if I was a first timer I would stay at Roncesvalles.

I'm so hoping the monks come round and sing! That would make my camino so very special indeed, otherwise I may have to sing myself and no-one wants that! Thanks for your advice!

Welly, you say you booked Roncesvalles, but what about Orisson? 10% of the beds there vs roncesvalles.

Orisson aren't accepting bookings yet so I'll just have to wait and hope! I have it in my diary ready, determined to stay there now!

I walked the Frances last May, stayed in Orrison and then in Roncesvalles. Definitely part of the experience whether you are Catholic or not. Great fun waking at 6am to a monk going from Dorm to Dorm playing guitar (Wake up Little Susie was one of his reptetoire!) Priceless memories.

Yes, that guy!

I have had the good fortune to have walked the Frances and some other Caminos more than once. I occasionally stay in places I have particularly enjoyed. But for the rest I try to be varied. For me any experience is just that. Like the characters in the film "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" ,all have an important part to play in your life. All will give their own lifetime memories and form pieces in your Camino memory jigsaw. Buen Camino. Disfruta!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
And what has been the impact?

There were predictions that it would have a knock on effect all the way to Zubiri making beds harder to find....
Well, I don't know, but we haven't heard horror stories. What is being said is that numbers are down 30% on the Frances, outside of the Sarria stretch, in the Rioja region at least.

Elisha,
I am also planning on starting on April 20, 2018 and staying in Orisson. I am walking on my own and it is a little daunting but hopefully I will connect with you along the way. Buen Camino!
Stella

Well, I don't know, but we haven't heard horror stories. What is being said is that numbers are down 30% on the Frances, outside of the Sarria stretch, in the Rioja region at least.

Interesting. I thought by all accounts arrival numbers in Santiago were way up. Nice to hear that it might only be the Sarria stretch that is increasing. April planning now getting underway.......

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Elisha,
I am also planning on starting on April 20, 2018 and staying in Orisson. I am walking on my own and it is a little daunting but hopefully I will connect with you along the way. Buen Camino!
Stella

Don't be daunted. Having walked alone and with a partner, both are good. I have to say that because 'she who must be obeyed' might read this. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is the lull before the storm, if September figures on our calendar are any indication.

Hey peregrinos!

Thanks for any advice!

Hi, on a practical level you will be glad to see Roncavalles & a bed by the time you have crossed the Pyrenees even with the 8kms you have saved by staying in Orisson on the first. Do not overstretch yourself or more precisely your feet in the early days of your Camino especially if it's your first long distance hike!!
Buen Camino, you will enjoy it

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back