• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is San Anton and/or San Nicolas open?

Time of past OR future Camino
Pamplona to Burgos in 2012, Frances in 2013, 2015, 2017, 2018 and half in 2019. VdLP in 2020!
Does anyone know if the Albergues San Anton just before Castrojeriz and/or San Nicolas @ Itero del Castillo are open for the next week? I'm trying to plan out the next few days and would love to stay at both places but I'm not sure if they are open.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
According to gronze they are both open.

I also came across this interactive map from the association of municipal albergues https://www.amcsantiago.com/map2021/ which might be of help but i would stress that it only relates to the municipals (neither San A nor San N are municipals)

Hope this is of help - buen camino!

Does anyone know if the Albergues San Anton just before Castrojeriz and/or San Nicolas @ Itero del Castillo are open for the next week? I'm trying to plan out the next few days and would love to stay at both places but I'm not sure if they are open.

Buen Camino!

Hi.

Acoording to Gronze San Anton is open.

Itero del Castillo albergue open too ( as is the Ermita de San Nicolas ) but Itero de la Vega is closed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you both so much! I'm hoping that 5th time is a charm and finally *this* time when I walk past they'll be open and I'll be able to stay :)

Let me know how you get on... I'm hoping to stay in San Anton in a few weeks... Stayed in San Nicolas about 6 years ago and loved it

Buen Camino!
We stayed there last night, Wednesday. Open and such a unique wonderful experience. Only about a dozen beds.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you mean the Monestario de San Anton in Catrojeriz, I walked past it yesterday. I saw two people trying to check-in and I saw laundry drying on a line outside, so it looks to be open.

Buen Camino!
I think that it is open.
when you want to check whether Albergues are open or not use the website

www.gronze.com

it is in spanish, but you can have the website translated on your phone into english or practically any other language. At least on my iphone. In the top bar where the webadress is you click the Aa and then it asks to translate

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you both so much! I'm hoping that 5th time is a charm and finally *this* time when I walk past they'll be open and I'll be able to stay :)
It's a shortish stage between the two, but so worth it to stay at both places. In San Anton, if you choose the bunk by the door, you can see the full moon rising over the ruins.

The next day you can drop your pack at San Nicolas and amble over to Itero de la Vega for lunch.

I think that it is open.

www.gronze.com

it is in spanish, but you can have the website translated on your phone into english or practically any other language. At least on my iphone. In the top bar where the webadress is you click the Aa and then it asks to translate

Buen Camino
Thanks so much for the translation instruction, you are the first that I have seen that has provided it. So helpful!

Buen Camino!
As of 5 days ago, San Anton was very much open! Enjoyed a lovely rest there with a number of other peregrinos.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
As a former hospiteloero at San Anton I was pretty sure I had read that Ovidio was doing all he could do to keep it open this year. i wasn't so sure about San Nicloas becuase I had read the Italians could not come back to serve there this summer, glad to hear someone is there after all.

I think that it is open.

www.gronze.com

Buen Camino
Sometimes with gronze.com I'm just not sure about how up to date it is. I thought (and I was right!) That I could get some very recent info here. Thanks everyone so much. And thanks to Ivar for such a wonderful resource!

Gronze.com has been accurate for my husband who is walking right now. If something is closed or reopened, it shows up quickly and the prices are up to date as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does anyone know the dates when both places open in the spring? Hopefully, Covid is going to give us all a break. Stayed in St. Nikolas in 2018 and hope to stay in both of them next year.

I passed San Nicolás today and had a chat with the volunteer there, she told me they were closing up this weekend for the winter so it's only open for another few days (to 17th i think)
I passed San Anton the day before and it looked open.

Did they happen to say when they would re-open?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
Greetings all! So I'm a "proper planning prevents poor performance", kinda guy. I was able to make a loose schedule for my Camino Frances last year that worked extremely well, and allowed me to...
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back