• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is San Juan de Gatzelugatxe worth visiting on the Camino Norte

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's a memorable spot for sure! I didn't visit when doing the Camino but have been several other times.

It's worth noting though that depending on when you would consider going, you may need to book in advance. Since it was used in scenes of Game of Thrones, it's become very popular and there were long lines to visit.

You now need a ticket with a reserved time slot to visit during high tourism times - summer, Easter etc. I believe it's still free though. You can reserve your entrance here: https://www.tiketa.eus/gaztelugatxe/?lang=en

I'm pleased I've seen it as it is quite spectacular, but it can get very, very busy in the summer - even with the ticketing system. Just a heads up on that!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
not quite on the Camino del Norte, it would be a detour, but definitely worth it!

What? No Dragonstone castle on the hill with dragons flying overhead?

Yes, the exterior castle and the dragons were all digital additions. The beach and castle doors were shot somewhere else which opened on to a green screen to digital add-in the walkway. Inside the castle was shot on a sound stage in Ireland. Only the scenes on the path itself were filmed here.

-Paul

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I LOVED it - one of the highlights of my Camino del Norte this spring. Possibly since I only learned upon arriving in Bilbao on May 5 that it had only reopened days before - after 2 years of closure. The weather that day was spectacular and it exceeded all expectations for me. No dragons necessary! It’s an amazing spot.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.