• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Sleeping Bag Necessary on Camino del Norte June and July?

John Hussey

I am trying to decide whether to take my sleeping bag when I walk the Camino del Norte during the months of June and July of this year. Galicia, I know can be cold in June but I will not arrive there until July, towards the end of it. I am taking a permethrin treated sheet for the bunk beds and a silk sleeping bag liner to sleep in, all permethrin treated, and was wondering if that would be enough or, pay the two extra pounds carrying it and take my down sleeping bag as well. If you have done it during those months please advise. I leave for Spain May 14, 2013 but will not start the Camino del Norte until sometime around the first of June, from Irun. So, should I or shouldn't I? I just cannot decide. Thanks for any advice.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Its a hard one to call, on my 1st time on the Norte I sent my bag home at comillas. It was only from Aviles i started to miss it. 2nd time around i shot it at Tarnos plage about 3 days before i got to Irun and used my Silk liner afterwards, did not miss the bag once. I walked roughly around the time you are thinking off, so my advice is your guess is as good as mine. Sorry i couldnt be off better help but it so hard to call with what the climate will be like.

Mike

I have decided to carry mine based on the average temp for the region. The historical average highs are in the 70's, some low 80's and the lows from 55-65. However, I am from Florida, and turn the heater on when it is 72 degrees outside. I went to accuweather website and checked the historical average page for major cities along the way and these temps seemed to be throughout for June and July. It can always go lower or higher, but I am coming prepared. I will just use my liner if it is warm, but will be glad for the bag if it is cold. Since I am planning to sleep in my tent some, I also have other considerations. Hope this helps.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Those are beautiful spring temperatures, as far as I am concerned. If true, and in my estimation, a sleeping bag would really not be needed inside the four protected walls of the albergues and, in my case, not justify carrying a two pound down bag all along the Camino del Norte for the spring temps you indicated. A liner should be more than adequate. But I really would like for someone that has actually done the Norte in June and July to weigh in who has had actual experience there and then.

I walked the Norte in mid Sept last year with a bag and a liner - which was not one of the warmest!- and only needed the sleeping bag on 2 occasions……………...

Thank you for the post! With that info I am leaving my bag at home and taking just my liner. I leave May 28th and so very excited and of course nervous!

Still waiting for a guidebook and told the English one is not the best so any advice you can give me on how well marked the trail is or any other advice is much appreciated.

Bobbie

MikeIan said:
I walked the Norte in mid Sept last year with a bag and a liner - which was not one of the warmest!- and only needed the sleeping bag on 2 occasions……………...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I plan to start in Pamplona on June 4th and was wondering about the sleeping bags too. I think I will bring mine since I am from Arizona and am very wimpy about cold.

My Camino partner and I are very different on this front. I always bring a silk liner, while she always brings a down sleeping bag. We're both usually pretty happy. But, based on my experience, there is some variation between routes.

On the Francés, there are lots of blankets available, particularly in the places most susceptible to colder weather (esp. higher elevation). As such, I know that I have those as a backup, in case the weather turns. (I have walked this in May-August.)

On the Norte/Primitivo, I found that nights were colder than on the Frances. Whereas I never had nights on the Frances where I would wake up feeling chilly, I definitely had those on the Norte. Blankets are not as common. Now, I could--and did--solve the problem by putting on my warm layer and hopping back in the sleep sheet. But, my body generally runs hot; other students in my group had a couple of somewhat uncomfortable nights. The ideal might be two silk liners, as a sleeping bag might still be too much on those nights, but to this point that has struck me as an unjustifiable expense. (I've walked this route June-September.)

On the Via Francigena, my friend spends at least half of her nights lying on top of her sleeping bag. I do the same with the liner. It's hot! (I've walked this route June-September.)

We don't need to talk about Norway...

Anyway, the point probably is that there isn't a perfect answer for the Norte/Primitivo. It's really important to know not just what your own comfort level is, but also what kind of effect a poor night's sleep will have on you the next day. I'm happy to trade a few chilly nights for the joy of not having a sleeping bag in my pack, but others may not feel the same. Try sleeping with the windows open at home, using only the sheet, and see how you feel!

Dave

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back