• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is Something Missing?

hfenton

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Invierno (2023)
While the topics discussed on the Camino Forum are myriad it appears, given the history of the Camino through the centuries, that something is missing from the Forum.

There are discussions about the many different Camino routes; the best time to walk them; recommendations for albergues; discussions about the best shoes or rain gear to wear; what to pack and what to leave at home; how to travel to and from the Camino; medical issues; etc, etc, etc.

What doesn't appear to be discussed centers around ways a pilgrim might reflectively engage with the Camino. It seems like this would be an important topic for discussion, especially for those who set out to walk the Camino as a pilgrim, rather than a tourist.

Now I can imagine someone might suggest that how a pilgrim reflectively engages with the Camino is going to be different for each person. I would counter that whether a Camino pilgrim should wear a poncho or a rain jacket and pants, or carry an umbrella is going to be different for each pilgrim. And yet there are lengthy discussions where members recommend one form of protection from the elements over another.

I'm advocating that pilgrims who are curious about different ways they might reflectively engage with the Camino could benefit from the experiences of pilgrims who have found effective ways of engaging with the Camino and who are willing to share their experiences.

Just a thought.

Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
While the topics discussed on the Camino Forum are myriad it appears, given the history of the Camino through the centuries, that something is missing from the Forum.

There are discussions about the many different Camino routes; the best time to walk them; recommendations for albergues; discussions about the best shoes or rain gear to wear; what to pack and what to leave at home; how to travel to and from the Camino; medical issues; etc, etc, etc.

What doesn't appear to be discussed centers around ways a pilgrim might reflectively engage with the Camino. It seems like this would be an important topic for discussion, especially for those who set out to walk the Camino as a pilgrim, rather than a tourist.

Now I can imagine someone might suggest that how a pilgrim reflectively engages with the Camino is going to be different for each person. I would counter that whether a Camino pilgrim should wear a poncho or a rain jacket and pants, or carry an umbrella is going to be different for each pilgrim. And yet there are lengthy discussions where members recommend one form of protection from the elements over another.

I'm advocating that pilgrims who are curious about different ways they might reflectively engage with the Camino could benefit from the experiences of pilgrims who have found effective ways of engaging with the Camino and who are willing to share their experiences.

Just a thought.

Buen Camino.

If you type in some keywords ( for example spiritual preparation ) in the right upper searchbox of this forum you will find lots of threads regarding your question.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tags are also useful for certain popular topics. On the main forum page here, scroll down to see Popular Camino Topics in a sort of "cloud." If you click on one of those topics, you will get a list of threads that have been tagged with one of the set topics.

I have now tagged this thread with "pilgrims & pilgrimage" and "why the camino?" You can see the tags at the top of this thread under the title. Click on them, and happy reading!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Just a thought.

Buen Camino.
I also like to know about experiences, because in technical matters there isn´t the same rule for everything and a conversation about poles could be infinite! but we are multi-diferents- pilgrims!

Just a thought.

Buen Camino.
Thank you hfenton for raising this question as I believe that it has something to offer everyone.

I have walked the French Camino on three occasions and each one has been a deeply moving and revelatory experience.

My first Camino was in 2013 and I started after a lengthy preparation that included the physical, spiritual, emotional, and psychological. It came at a time when I was moving out of a 40 year vocation and shifting into a related but very different vocational space. I tried to be open to what would happen but could not free myself from expectations of what I might explore during this time. As it turned out nothing I thought would happen, happened.

I was keen to engage with others and sought the adventure of combined intent and fellowship. What happened was that I became confused, uncertain and managed to alienate several people who just wanted to do their Camino. It wasn’t till about day 10 that the penny dropped. While sitting at the airport in Sydney, Australia I had written out a Camino prayer. It contained the line “Lord help me be tentative to the moment.” As I read it on my 10th day was drawn to ask what was capturing my attention in the moment and what came forth was a memory of when I was 14 – a memory I had had twice already on this Camino and one that was familiar to me throughout my life. It was not a flattering memory and as I began to consider it, there emerged from that contemplation a number of things I was challenged to do/resolve. I was startled by the sense of relief I experienced spending time with this past event and during the remainder of the walk. There were a number of other thoughts/memories/situations that came into my awareness. One brought the expression of heartrending grief and another the profound conviction I needed to make right a damaged relationship. These were moving and transformative encounters for me and I see and feel their effects in my life today.

On my second Camino I found myself meeting nightly with a group of 20 to 30-year-olds (I was 66). This was an entirely different Camino and yet the principle of attending to what was happening in the moment made it an enriching and fulfilling time - again with effects that walk with me today.

My last Camino was lonely there being few other pilgrims who are not walking as couples, groups or at significantly different places to me. In many ways it was disappointing. I damaged my left foot on the descent on Napoleon route on the third day and it was my companion to Santiago. That foot spoke to me raising issues of my mortality and ageing. What did I want as I moved into the senior years of my life? Who did I want to become? How do I want to grow as a spiritual person and how did I want to do this with my wife, Brenda? What might we want together in these years and how could I continue to live a contributing life?

Little did I know how these questions prepared us for our future? Brenda and I began discussing these things upon my return and eight months later she received a five year cancer prognosis. And we were prepared for many of the issues raised by that event helping us to negotiate the upheaval linked to such things. Please do not read too much into this. It is simply what happened.

Whether one wishes to self-designate as a “pilgrim” or “tourist” does not seem to matter much because the Camino, as said to me many times is “not about walking from one place to another but what happens on the journey” and as one person wrote, “We may finish walking the Camino but the Camino continues to walking us”.

These are reflections on my pilgrimages and I hope you find them helpful.

Thank you hfenton for raising this question as I believe that it has something to offer everyone.

I have walked the French Camino on three occasions and each one has been a deeply moving and revelatory experience.

My first Camino was in 2013 and I started after a lengthy preparation that included the physical, spiritual, emotional, and psychological. It came at a time when I was moving out of a 40 year vocation and shifting into a related but very different vocational space. I tried to be open to what would happen but could not free myself from expectations of what I might explore during this time. As it turned out nothing I thought would happen, happened.

I was keen to engage with others and sought the adventure of combined intent and fellowship. What happened was that I became confused, uncertain and managed to alienate several people who just wanted to do their Camino. It wasn’t till about day 10 that the penny dropped. While sitting at the airport in Sydney, Australia I had written out a Camino prayer. It contained the line “Lord help me be tentative to the moment.” As I read it on my 10th day was drawn to ask what was capturing my attention in the moment and what came forth was a memory of when I was 14 – a memory I had had twice already on this Camino and one that was familiar to me throughout my life. It was not a flattering memory and as I began to consider it, there emerged from that contemplation a number of things I was challenged to do/resolve. I was startled by the sense of relief I experienced spending time with this past event and during the remainder of the walk. There were a number of other thoughts/memories/situations that came into my awareness. One brought the expression of heartrending grief and another the profound conviction I needed to make right a damaged relationship. These were moving and transformative encounters for me and I see and feel their effects in my life today.

On my second Camino I found myself meeting nightly with a group of 20 to 30-year-olds (I was 66). This was an entirely different Camino and yet the principle of attending to what was happening in the moment made it an enriching and fulfilling time - again with effects that walk with me today.

My last Camino was lonely there being few other pilgrims who are not walking as couples, groups or at significantly different places to me. In many ways it was disappointing. I damaged my left foot on the descent on Napoleon route on the third day and it was my companion to Santiago. That foot spoke to me raising issues of my mortality and ageing. What did I want as I moved into the senior years of my life? Who did I want to become? How do I want to grow as a spiritual person and how did I want to do this with my wife, Brenda? What might we want together in these years and how could I continue to live a contributing life?

Little did I know how these questions prepared us for our future? Brenda and I began discussing these things upon my return and eight months later she received a five year cancer prognosis. And we were prepared for many of the issues raised by that event helping us to negotiate the upheaval linked to such things. Please do not read too much into this. It is simply what happened.

Whether one wishes to self-designate as a “pilgrim” or “tourist” does not seem to matter much because the Camino, as said to me many times is “not about walking from one place to another but what happens on the journey” and as one person wrote, “We may finish walking the Camino but the Camino continues to walking us”.

These are reflections on my pilgrimages and I hope you find them helpful.
Frank, it sounds like your three Caminos gave you the option to reflect back on the past (1st Camino), concentrate on the present (2nd Camino), and look ahead towards the future (3rd Camino). Each difficult in their own ways, and yet each equally important. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back