• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

is spanish amost on route ,,

santos

hola amigos!

is spanish a must on route to santiago?
cuz im not gettin it iv got 15 lesson and only word i can remember is hola :shock:
5 min after i turn ipod off i dont remember one thing :S
can i get away wit only a few words??
cuz i see myself sayin somethin like questa hober matola!!:S or questa el passtorté !!like my english that dont make sense :(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you're trying to learn a language there really isn't any substitute for proper lessons with a teacher. I don't think cassettes or podcasts work really. (I used to teach languages in a high school).

Either way if using your ipod is the only option you have, then I'd recommend breaking it down into chunks. Listen to five minutes at a time, pause and write down everything you remember. It won't matter so much about the spelling if all you want to do is speak to people.

At the end of the lesson review your notes, then look at them again half an hour later, and then again the next morning. Try to use the new phrases at least three times the next day. Even if you're only saying them in your head.

There are websites such as http://www.mflgames.co.uk which can help you learn basic vocabulary. Or look at http://www.bbc.com/languages

As for needing Spanish on the camino, I think you'll surprise yourself at how quickly you'll pick the basics up through necessity. Many pilgrims you meet will have some English, or I see you're from Montreal; there will be plenty of Francophones for you to speak to. Don't count on cafe / shop staff, or hospitaleros speaking English though, especially in the more rural areas.

Don't worry about it though. You'll soon learn the five most important words - ampollas, mochilla, flechas, moscas and roncadores.

whalleyranger forgot THE most important spanish word..... cerveza

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
i got myself a dic francais/spanish :S
and wow ill never be able to talk it :S
i hope i fall on some nice ppl that could help me wit it on route:S
to get in auberges and help me not get lost and food :S
omg why im goin this :shock:
so many things r gettin to me
iv been dreamng about this for so long and now its so close im freaking out!(nothing new should of seen me first time i went to germany :S)
i think my stress ball will come whit me! it calms me down alot :p

Don't worry about the language. In shops just say Buenos Dias, smile, and point to what you want, take your time, and use the phrase book if necessary.

And you shouldn't get lost, just follow the yellow arrows. But, if you do happen to get off track, just ask anyone for the 'Camino de Santiago' and they'll point you in the right direction. In towns, if you can't find the albergue just ask for the 'Albergue Peregrinos' and again you'll be directed. All the locals will know you're a pilgrim, and you'll be surprised how much help you'll get from complete strangers.

By the way, I've tried very hard to learn Spanish, but it just doesn't work for me. You will meet many pilgrims out there who also cannot speak the language, so you won't be alone.

Me too. I speak French and a tiny bit of German but just cannot engage with Spanish - no idea why. I work at it - two minutes later I have forgotten, except, as said above, the daily politenesses (and beer buying!).
Thing is - everyone is so friendly and helpful - true, in rural areas no one speaks anything but Spanish but they all know what you want - bed, food, toilet, route, drink, sleep, etc and they've seen thousands before, just like you.
Be not afraid - all is well.
If you have a medical condition or special needs (specific diet or allergies) then get that written down in both languages before you go (go to your local college/school/church for assistance on that) and maybe have it laminated then all your problems disappear.

So, be not afraid, you are not alone, and all is well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Learning Spanish

Five years ago I did a 6 week Spanish course at our University. It kinda went in one ear and out the other (or so I thought).
Last year I did their 6 week Italian course in preparation for the walk to Rome. All the Spanish came back! Every time my confused brain tried to find a foreign word, out popped the Spanish words. Perhaps when I walk the camino I should pretend I'm in Italy!!

I got by with Cerveza and Bocadilla (sandwitch)

but I kinda wish I knew more, you can get more of the culture if you have a basic grasp on the language

Back