• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is starting in Faro possible?

JohnMcK

Time of past OR future Camino
CF14,15,21 CP17,Rome18,19 Le Pluy 22
Hi I notice that the Wise Pilgrim map shows a Portuguese camino starting in Faro but i cannot find any info on it. I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of info etc. I have walked from Porto to SdC previously and loved it. I am wondering about starting in Faro to do the bit up to Lisbon as i have a spare couple of weeks coming up shortly.
Thanks

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, stritly speaking it's not a Camino exactly, at least not yet. I met a pilgrim this year in Santiago who walked northwards from Faro more then 10 years ago, he slept mostly in firemen headquarters at the time. Now the Camino is being marked there by the local volunteers, some stages north of Faro and more from Evora upwards - the later is called Via Nascente and it even has some albergues there, more info here: https://caminhosdesantiago.pt/#paths_1 That's one option there - north from Faro, it doesn't lead to Lisbon, rather parallel to Via La Plata in Spain, but this one in Portugal, not sure it would qualify for the Compostella. That would be a solitary route, so make sure you are ok walking on your own is fine for you. Another one is - what most people take - not a Camino but Via Algarviana along the south coast, from Faro to Lagos/Sagres then heading north on the Rota Vicentina along the coast. More info here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/rota-vicentina.182/ There are no albergues here on the way, but you might meet some fellow day- and holiday walkers, either Portuguese or some international crowd. That's a fairly popular walk in compason.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You might also find some interesting info in this thread here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...port-from-portugues-interior-june-2018.56758/ Scroll to the later posts for it. Also if you have a couple of weeks I might suggest walking between Lisbon and Porto, it took me 10 days from Santarem to Porto, so there might be 13 stages from Lisbon. That's the central route with the albergues and fellow walkers, I enjoyed walking there as well, although it has a totally different character then the Camino from Porto. Weather shoud be great there till late Oct.

Last edited:
It doesn't start in Faro, but if you can read German this Outdoor guide covers the path from the Algarve to Ourense. From Lamego it follows the interior route. I met someone on this camino outside Trancoso when I was doing the Camino Torres in May. She had not met anyone up to that point so it is not a busy path.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Portuguese government seems very keen to work on these alternative interior routes. Here's a link to a story in Portuguese (I'll run it through Google Translate as well) about the recent initiatives. I know we were on a driving trip last fall in Portugal through that area, and when I wandered around the very small town that we stayed in (Vale do Peso), I saw signposts for the Caminho! That town is close to Crato, which is mentioned in this story:

Slightly edited story follows: (excuse the "shouting ALLCAPS; shows my comments)

"The Santiago Alentejo Ribatejo Paths project, which is being developed and implemented by the Regional Tourism Authority of Alentejo and Ribatejo (ERTAR), crosses 44 municipalities south of the Tagus and is divided into three distinct routes: Central Path, East Path and Caminho da Raia.

The initiative, in an investment of 400 thousand euros supported by community funds, “aims to rescue the history and symbolism of faith and spirituality for pilgrims and walkers”, with “experiences that allow discovering landscapes, habits and popular traditions and the existing religious heritage. in the territory ”.

The Central Way, with a total of 19 stages, runs through the municipalities of Almodovar, Castro Verde, Ourique, Odemira, Aljustrel, Santiago do Cacém, Grândola, Alcacer do Sal, Montemor-o-Novo, Vendas Novas, Coruche, Benavente, Salvaterra of Magos, Almeirim, Azambuja, Cartaxo, Santarém and Golegã, in a length of about 570 kilometers.

Those who choose to explore the six-stage East Path will have to go through the municipalities of MĂ©rtola, Beja, Cuba, Alvito, Viana do Alentejo, Evora, Estremoz, Sousel, Frontier, Alter do ChĂŁo, Crato and Nisa (close to 400 kilometers). THIS IS I THINK THE ROUTE YOU'RE LOOKING FOR. MERTOLA IS NOT THAT FAR NORTH OF FARO, ON THE EAST END OF THE ALGARVE. (MERTOLA WOULD BE THE SOUTH END OF THE ALENTEJO DISTRICT THAT IS PART OF THIS INITIATIVE.)

The Caminho da Raia, an exclusively digital orientation route that will only be available in December, crosses the municipalities of Mértola, Serpa, Moura, Mourao, Reguengos de Monsaraz, Alandroal, Vila Viçosa, Elvas, Campo Maior, Arronches, Campo Maior, Portalegre , Marvao, Castelo de Vide, Nisa, for almost 310 kilometers. THIS IS A ROUTE THAT COULD ALSO BE FOLLOWED, BASICALLY ALONG THE MOUNTAINS ON THE EAST SIDE OF PORTUGAL.

"They are completely different paths, with a component of faith, with areas that pass through churches and monuments," and aim "a kind of pilgrimage distinct from what we are used to seeing in relation to Fatima," he said.

The new tourism offer will be presented next Wednesday at the Mother Church of Santiago do Cacém, on the Alentejo coast, in the district of Setúbal.

According to Turismo do Alentejo, the ceremony will include, among others, the Secretary of State for Tourism, Ana Mendes Godinho, the Commissioner of Jacobeu 2021, Cecília Pereira, and the head of Culture and Tourism in the Galicia Board. , Román Rodríguez González.

Santiago do Cacém has been twinned since 2007 with the municipality of Santiago de Compostela, as a result of its profound connection with the cult of Santiago Apostle, the Camino de Santiago and the Military Order of Santiago de Espada, which has led the municipality to fight for “ recognition of the Santiago Roads to the south ”.

"We are the only municipality in Portugal with the name of Santiago, we have several historical and toponymic indicators, among others, which reveal that the Camino de Santiago has been going through the county for many centuries," said the mayor, Alvaro Beijinha.

ERTAR also intends to launch the “Pilgrim's Book”, which “will be delivered to the various lodgings” and in which walkers can “leave their message and constructive criticism”.

Turismo do Alentejo will also “distribute stamps among the various units, cafes and restaurants where it travels”, to “stimulate the participation of private agents” in the project.

“It is a very relevant project that attracts thousands of tourists from all over the world and so we understand that it was very important for this region to have a new kind of tourist, anti-seasonal, pilgrim, with purchasing power, over 60 years old and who, from the outset, makes the paths of Santiago throughout Europe, ”said António Ceia da Silva.

The official launch of the Caminhos de Santiago Alentejo Ribatejo, which will also be accompanied by the heads of the four dioceses of the regions, includes the presentation of the promotional film and the history of the Caminhos, the blessing of the routes by the Bishop of Beja and debates on the dynamization of the paths. and the challenges of pilgrims."

Original link: http://www.mediotejo.net/caminhos-de-santiago-vao-dar-a-descobrir-alentejo-e-ribatejo/

The group organizing this, who may have maps, is Entidade Regional de Turismo do Alentejo e Ribatejo (ERTAR) translated as the Regional Tourism Authority of Alentejo and Ribatejo (ERTAR).

Hope this helps! The three lists of towns may make mapping a route easier!

Kathy

P.S. In September it likely will be brutally hot on this route in the Alentejo south of the Tagus! It's the hottest part of Portugal.

The Central way and the 19 stages seems to indicate that the planned route for the Faro start will not go to Lisbon but join the Caminho from it in the Golega area. The distance from there to Santiago + the 570km would make the distance from Faro in the 1050- 1100km range.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Central way and the 19 stages seems to indicate that the planned route for the Faro start will not go to Lisbon but join the Caminho from it in the Golega area. The distance from there to Santiago + the 570km would make the distance from Faro in the 1050- 1100km range.
I think the "East Path" would be the one that comes from Faro and they show terminating at Nisa. The reason they don't discuss going any further, is because this whole initiative is based on the "south of the Tagus" funding model and Nisa would be the last eastern town before you hit the Tagus.

From Nisa you could follow from Stage 23 on the route shown above by Surya8 https://caminhosdesantiago.pt/#paths_1 on the Caminho Nascente without heading west to Golega.

Marking and upgrading from Nisa north would come under a different region's initiatives. I know the more northern stretch does have a lot of trail marking; whether there also are caminho markers--I don't know.

This is a very beautiful, historical and scenic part of Portugal, but you likely would not see many pilgrims!

think the "East Path" would be the one that comes from Faro and they show terminating at Nisa
The one from Faro is already waymarked as far as Almodovar so it would be a starting point for the Central route, the AEJ Faro group have been responsible for that waymarking.

Last edited:
The one from Faro is already waymarked as far as Almodovar so it would be a starting point for the Central route, the AEJ Faro group have been responsible for that waymarking.

What a great article. Thanks! The map is particularly useful.

Just as a note--our area, which is just north of Golega on the Caminho Central, is just this week working on new markings through from Golega up towards Tomar (Vila Nova da Barquinha municipality).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Note that the map above shows a connection from Faro to the Caminho Central. Faro to Tavira, along the Algarve, is not very far. I suspect you could follow the Nascente as well if you wanted to start in the east Algarve. You could just take the train east to Tavira (about 1 hour or less, if I remember correctly) and start your caminho there. It's a smaller, possibly more "pilgrim-friendly" place than Faro.

The train back-and-forth across the Algarve is like a commuter service. It runs essentially every hour and is very reasonable. Goes right through the central part of both Faro and Tavira.

Last edited:
That map has the Faro route joining at Santarem, what you have said and what I saw recently( not sure where) seemed to suggest the connection would be around or after Golega.. I don't know the area before it but would it be adversely affected by heat in deepest summer and floods in winter? The area between Santarem and Golega is affected by floods at some times of the year.

I realised by looking at a link on the newspaper article that the route is joining at Santarem but they are waymarking all of the stages in their area up to and including your stage and on to Tomar

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That map has the Faro route joining at Santarem, what you have said and what I saw recently( not sure where) seemed to suggest the connection would be around or after Golega.. I don't know the area before it but would it be adversely affected by heat in deepest summer and floods in winter? The area between Santarem and Golega is affected by floods at some times of the year.
I think you're correct that the connection for the Central route is at Santarem. Looking at the detailed Google Map, other towns they mention--Foros de Salvaterra, Almeirim and Benevente--are a bit south and on the eastern side of the Tejo (Tagus). I guess they assume pilgrims will cross the Tejo at Santarem. But on the other hand, Cartaxo and Azambuja, both also mentioned in this press release, are on the west side of the Tejo on the main route from Lisbon, so...who knows?

I suspect it's so all the towns with connections to the Portuguese Caminho in those regions, whether west or east of the Tejo, get their share of the funding for marking, etc.

Last edited:
These guys possibly could give information on the first part of the route, from Faro to Almodovar...

This is their contact in Faro:

Delegação de Faro
Morada:
Email:
faro@aej.pt
Delegado: Susana Sousa (916 013 494)

If you have Facebook, you can look them up as: AEJ Delegação Faro

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here's a video of the routes that have been recently marked through the Alentejo and Ribatejo in Portugal. It has got a tourist slant but without government involvement it would have been difficult to get these ways marked.

Bom Caminho

Thanks everyone looks possible but will need to do bit more checking out . i expect it will be very quiet, think I would prefer few more pilgrims

Hmm, might this be a possible winter camino for me and my husband? We can manage December 26th to January 5th, and ANYWHERE is warmer than Norway at that time of year...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You might find this map/info from another thread useful...bom caminho!

"...a map showing 16th century pilgrimage routes through central Portugal. I thought pilgrims today might be interested in this...

1569190922478.png

... this route was referred to already at the time of Dom Dinis 1 (considered the king who was "father" of modern Portugal)--1302. The dotted and solid lines on the map above refer to the routes of two friars, Frere Claude de Bronsevel and Dom Edme de Saulieu, in 1532 and 1533. Unfortunately, the map is cut off north of Coimbra, but it clearly shows both the Central and Interior routes, as well as some interesting routing in the Alentejo, south of the Tagus...."