• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is tent needed on Camino del Norte?

Catalin Bulancea

Time of past OR future Camino
none
Hi people,

I've been reading some threads saying that albergues are fewer on Camino del Norte than on Camino Frances and that many of them are not available all year around.
Do you think I would need to carry a tent?
I plan to go this April...

Thanks,
Catalin

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Camino del Norte is more expensive because of that. Many albergue in the Basque area are actually youth hostel and cost 14 euros or more. In later places, those without albergue usually have hostal which is around 25 euros.

A tent is an alternative but then there is the extra weight issue and also where to pitch the tent as the route is more built up (you don't get to walk along the coast too often) as oppose to the flatter Camino via de la plata.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Evanlow, I tend not to agree with your assessment, possibly the albergue infrastructure on the Norte has improved in recent years. I walked the Norte in August/September 2014 and slept in albergues almost every night. mostly for the price of 5-10 euro. Also in the Basque country, there is a lot of albergues which makes it possible to to sleep in an albergue every night.

Having said that, there are less albergues as compared to the CF, so it involves a little bit more planning. (and checking the gronze site for availability), especially if you are on a tight budget and not able to occasionally sleep in a hotel. However, most pilgrims I met on the Norte did not carry a tent, so unless you prefer camping (many albergues allow people set up a tent) I would not take one.

Hi @Catalin Bulancea no to the tent, especially not in April, as it will not be crowded. Also there is not frequently a place to pitch it (a big no on private land.) If worst came to worst you can taxi ahead to an albergue and back to where you left off the next morning. Don't miss the albergue at Guemes! Buen camino

There is not a need for a tent.
There are albergues at easy distances the full distance of the Norte.
I would compare the number and spacing of albergues to my first Camino in 2009.
The number of pilgrims walking are also similar.
There are also other accomondations available all along the Norte.
It is now very popular.
No tent!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I carried a tent on the Norte last year and would not do it again. Wild camping is illegal pretty much all the way, not many albergues in the towns have suitable gardens (there are exceptions, but they were not full anyway), and many camping grounds do not open until the high season in July.

Many thanks for your replies! I've checked Gronze, looks very complete!
What about ATMs? Do I need to bring money or can I pay with the card most of the times (albergues, lunch, etc)?
Thanks!

Many thanks for your replies! I've checked Gronze, looks very complete!
What about ATMs? Do I need to bring money or can I pay with the card most of the times (albergues, lunch, etc)?
Thanks!
ATM. Albergues do not take credit cards. Pensions May as Will some hostels that are not just for pilgrims hut these are not and just for pilgrims and the little bags where you'll be having brekfast and lunch Will be mostly cash. In The cities you Will be able tomuse your credit card In proper restaurants.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ok, so money it is!

2 more questions if I may:
- Where is the Pilgrims Office in San Sebastian or Irun to take my pilgrim passport?
- Can I buy a guide for Camino del Norte in library in San Sebastian/Irun?

Thanks again!

Ok, so money it is!

2 more questions if I may:
- Where is the Pilgrims Office in San Sebastian or Irun to take my pilgrim passport?
- Can I buy a guide for Camino del Norte in library in San Sebastian/Irun?

Thanks again!
You can also download this guide to your phone http://www.cicerone.co.uk/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi people,

I've been reading some threads saying that albergues are fewer on Camino del Norte than on Camino Frances and that many of them are not available all year around.
Do you think I would need to carry a tent?
I plan to go this April...

Thanks,
Catalin
No. Tent just a lot of weight you will dump. Try Gronce.com gives up to date Albergue beds

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.