• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the Botafumeiro closed for repairs in 2018?

gohoyas

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015
Camino Portugues 2016
I saw a post on the APOC Facebook page that says the Botafumeiro is closed during 2018 for repairs. I searched this forum and saw an article from November 2017, but only that one and nothing more recent. I checked the Cathedral's website and there is nothing about repairs on the Botafumeiro page. If anyone knows the details, please share. I will be there in October and although I have seen it before, would be blessed to see it again. Thanks for any information.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is down for repairs at the moment. No one in Spain ever knows when any maintenance will be completed on anything. You can watch the altar on a webcam. One day it will swing, and you will know maintenance is done (unless the webcam is down for maintenance).

My understanding was that the Cathedral interior would be closed for the majority of 2018 for renovations? Since the mechanism that swings the Botafumeiro is in that Cathedral only, I would imagine it would be a year without any flights?? I would be very interested to hear from someone in SDC with any further insight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So would I! Planning to walk the CP with children and grandchildren this year - what a pity it would be to miss the Botafumeiro!

I saw a post on the APOC Facebook page that says the Botafumeiro is closed during 2018 for repairs. I searched this forum and saw an article from November 2017, but only that one and nothing more recent. I checked the Cathedral's website and there is nothing about repairs on the Botafumeiro page. If anyone knows the details, please share. I will be there in October and although I have seen it before, would be blessed to see it again. Thanks for any information.

restoration works for the holy year 0f 2021 will commence inside the cathedral this year; these will include the high altar area. to the best of my knowledge these have not begun, but will this spring. i have tried to find a date but to no avail. likewise, the cathedral is cryptic about the durations of these works.

so once the works disrupt the Mass, the botafumeiro will (obviously) not swing and the Pilgrim Mass will be celebrated at another venue (Church of San Francisco if i am not mistaken).

my guess is that unfortunately you will not see the botafumeiro in october.

Pilgrim Masses will be moved to Church San Francisco. The gear and mountings in the cathedral ceiling for the botafumeiro are being refurbished so you are unlikely to see it during 2018. More importantly to me is, will the crypt where the reliquary is kept be closed to the public. I have not come across any information on that

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I contacted the Cathedral just 2 days ago about the botafumeiro. I saw online it is only used about 10 Holy Days a year now and that’s it, unless a group or someone makes a donation for is to be used. I asked them specifically about May 17 or 18. And they did not indicate the Cathedral would be closed, but I fact I could make a donation for it to be used on one or f those days. If you look online you can find the days listed that it is scheduled to be used. I’m going to miss it by about 5 Days....I think May 23 it is scheduled.

I contacted the Cathedral just 2 days ago about the botafumeiro. I saw online it is only used about 10 Holy Days a year now and that’s it, unless a group or someone makes a donation for is to be used. I asked them specifically about May 17 or 18. And they did not indicate the Cathedral would be closed, but I fact I could make a donation for it to be used on one or f those days. If you look online you can find the days listed that it is scheduled to be used. I’m going to miss it by about 5 Days....I think May 23 it is scheduled.
How do you find the dates it is going to be used?

If you go to catedraldesantiago.es, at the top of the page it says Cathedral, culture, visits, liturgy, etc. Go to Liturgy. A list will drop down. At the bottom where it says Botafumeiro. Click that. The page tells you all about the Botafumeiro and has a list of 11 Solemn Feasts when it is used. At the bottom of the page it has an email you can contact to request its use. It’s a €450 donation. But I supposed for a group that may not be difficult. The donations help keep the cathedral in good repair and the doors open.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Michele. I did not find a year from that site. But let's wait more information about restoration works.

Thank you all for the valuable information. I am doing the CF in April and I had every hope to enter the Cathredal and see the Botafumeria. As you say, who knows the Spaniards may change the schedule. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I finish the Camino I always stay at the Parador Hotel next to the Cathedral. The first thing I do after checking in is speak with the concierge to ask if a private party has already paid for the Botafumeiro the next day. I've have always been prepared to pay the fee if no one else has already paid. Each time, without even making a phone call, the concierge waived off my credit card telling me the fee has already been paid.

The first thing I do after dropping my bag in my room is walk around the square listening to all the theories about whether the Botafumeiro would swing the next day or not. I used to explain how I knew it would, but I got tired of people telling me the Parador has no way of knowing. That whether the Batafumeiro would swing or not is a closely guarded state secret that only the King and Queen of Spain were allowed to know in advance.

I always go back and joke with the concierge about the various rumors and theories I hear on the square. Their response is always the same, as the concierge at the Parador, they are asked each day by numerous guests if they can pay for the Batafumeiro. As a result, the Cathedral and the hotel are in constant contact about its status.

I am hesitant to post this information out of fear the concierge desk at the Parador will be inundated by non-guests lining up for the next day's status on the Batafumeiro. However, if you are registered at the hotel, and want to know for sure, contact the concierge.

It is down for repairs at the moment. No one in Spain ever knows when any maintenance will be completed on anything. You can watch the altar on a webcam. One day it will swing, and you will know maintenance is done (unless the webcam is down for maintenance).

Oh my god, sometimes I would like the cathedral to be closed to tourism and be dedicated exclusively to the liturgy, but only sometimes :)

e

Hi Michele,
Last year I saw the botafumeiro swing on 2 consecutive days.
There are many large organised tourist groups attending that I was told will most often make the donation

I will be in SDC around the same time in May

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am in SdC. I made the Pilgrim’s Mass and at the end the Botafumiero was started. Perfect day. Sunday mass at 12:00 noon 22 April. I could not believe my good fortune. I thank God for my journey so far. The mass brought tears to my eyes. There was an English blessing for Peregrinos. I am still floating

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you go to catedraldesantiago.es, at the top of the page it says Cathedral, culture, visits, liturgy, etc. Go to Liturgy. A list will drop down. At the bottom where it says Botafumeiro. Click that. The page tells you all about the Botafumeiro and has a list of 11 Solemn Feasts when it is used.

@Michele Nickrent , your post made my day!! We'll be in Santiago on All Saints, 1 November, so we'll get to see the Botafumeiro!
Thank you!!

Thanks for all the info. Several of us are arriving on Saturday,12 May (silly statement-several are arriving every day;)) and have been curious when the pilgrim mass takes place. Online I’ve had a hard time getting even that info. Any info about this weekend would be appreciated! @tpmchugh , @Camino Addict

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Arrived in Santiago yesterday and went to the Pilgrim mass at noon today, Sunday, May 13th. The Botafumeiro swung, the choir sang, and tears ran down my face. It seems the Borafumeiro has swung for at least the last 10 days—perhaps in conjunction with the ascension festivities.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

There are two, daily Pilgrim Masses. The first one is at noon. The second is at 19:30.

I was at Santiago 22 - 27 April. The Botafumeiro is back in service. The renovation work surrounding the pulley mechanism at that portion of the Cathedral ceiling is done.

They raced to complete this work over the winter to get things ready for the 2018 season. The season starts with Semana Santa (Holy Week) leading to Easter. We are in the 2018 Pilgrim season.

Hope this helps.

Heard today from my son in Santiago that the cathedral is closing at the end of 2018 and will remain closed for 2019 and most of 2020. Anybody else heard this

Heard today from my son in Santiago that the cathedral is closing at the end of 2018 and will remain closed for 2019 and most of 2020. Anybody else heard this

Nops! Part of the interior of the cathedral might be temporarily closed for renovation but there are no plans I know of to close the whole cathedral for any considerable lenght of time. BC SY

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We finished our Camino Frances 2 weeks ago and we were blessed to see the Botafumeira twice during pilgrim mass at the Cathedral in Santiago.

t2andreo - re the restoration work - did you get this information from a good source that the restoration work of the botafumeira has been completed?
I saw on the cathedral website that the botafumeira will swing on Nov.1 (All Saints Day).
We however, will be in Santiago Friday, November 2 and hoping that it would swing two days in a row.
Someone told us that it swings every Friday - does anyone have information that this is so?
If it swings at noon, is that any guarantee that it will also swing at 1930? From what I am reading above, it
seems that it only swings if someone pays for it (other than the special days mentioned on the website).

i read that the interior work will begin in Sept. 2018 (not an official source). that must affect the botafumeiro. i would love to find more exact info about the interior work - wrote to the pilgrim office no answer (yet). i am planning a return camino but want to know about the cathedral interior work before i book

If it is useful, I was yesterday, aug,29th 2018, at the Pilgrim's mass at 12:00 and we were lucky enough to see the Botafumeiro in use at the end of the mass. Lovely and breathtaking.
Anyway, the section above main Altar was covered with scaffolds and looked like they were going to begin somo works. Maybe that will affect the use of the Botafumeiro in a near future.

Feeling blessed to have seen the botafumerio swing twice today. Got to the cathedral early and saw it swing at the end of the 10 o’clock mass and stayed for the pilgrims mass at 12 o’clock when it swung again.

You are blessed, in April I went to mass three times and did not see it swing once. This time I am determined.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, does anybody know for certain whether the Botafumeiro will operate on this year's Immaculate Conception day (8 Dec 2018)? If so, on which Mass? Thanks a lot

My wife and I arrived in Santiago on September 18 and went to the pilgrim's mass that night just to see the cathedral, not expecting to see the botafumeiro because it was a Thursday. But they did it, and we were standing in a great spot for pics. So we went back the next night for the regularly scheduled botafumeiro ceremony and saw it again. Twice in two nights! St. James was truly looking out for us.

Hi, does anybody know for certain whether the Botafumeiro will operate on this year's Immaculate Conception day (8 Dec 2018)? If so, on which Mass? Thanks a lot
It will operate on that day. It is one of the few days that you can say for certain that it will. (I've copied the list below from the Cathedral website). The website does not specify which mass on those days will have the botafumeiro. I don't know if that means it will operate on all masses on those days or if people are supposed to know which is most important and will have it. Perhaps another member of the forum knows.

The days it operates on are:
  • The Epiphany: 6 January
  • Resurrection Sunday
  • The Apparition of the Apostle-Clavijo: 23 May
  • Pentecost
  • The Martyrdom of Saint James: 25 July
  • The Assumption of Mary: 15 August
  • All Saints: 1 November
  • Christ the King
  • The Immaculate Conception: 8 December
  • Christmas: 25 December
  • Transfer of the remains of the Apostle: 30 December
On other days, it operates when pilgrims (or tour groups) pay to have it operate. To reserve the Botafumeiro write an email to: botafumeiro@catedraldesantiago.es.

When my son and I completed the Camino in August 2016, we didn't see it. When I completed my Camino in October 2018, I did, paid for by a group of pilgrims. I don't think that was the only mass it was used for that day.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back