• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the C1 Train from Madrid Airport T4 to Atocha Station running?

SamR

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés (2016)
I have train reservations from Atocha station to Pamplona on Sept 8 and will need to get to the Atocha station from the airport. I have seen several references to a C1 commuter train from the T4 terminal but when I search for the route on http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html (Departure: Aeropuerto-T4, Destination: Atocha) , it says there are no services between these points?? Does anyone have recent, first-hand knowledge that they can share about this commuter rail trip?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Sam,

Welcome to the forum!

There is a notice on the RENFE/Cercanias web page. Since they are doing work at Recoletos, which is a station near Atocha, you will have to get off at Recoletos and take a free bus to Atocha. This will add a bit more time, so I hope you're not crunched. It will run every 6 minutes on week day rush hour, up to every twelve minutes at other times. The silver lining here is that they hope the repairs will be done by September 4, so you may not have to worry about this at all.

Here's the link if you read Spanish: http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, Sam,

Welcome to the forum!

There is a notice on the RENFE/Cercanias web page. Since they are doing work at Recoletos, which is a station near Atocha, you will have to get off at Recoletos and take a free bus to Atocha. This will add a bit more time, so I hope you're not crunched. It will run every 6 minuteson week day rush hour, up to every twelve minutes at other times. The silver lining here is that they hope the repairs will be done by September 4, so you may not have to worry about this at all.

Here's the link if you read Spanish: http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html

I have train reservations from Atocha station to Pamplona on Sept 8 and will need to get to the Atocha station from the airport. I have seen several references to a C1 commuter train from the T4 terminal but when I search for the route on http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/cercanias/madrid/index.html (Departure: Aeropuerto-T4, Destination: Atocha) , it says there are no services between these points?? Does anyone have recent, first-hand knowledge that they can share about this commuter rail trip?

I used the RENFE shuttle to get to ATOCHA from Barajas for an onward AVE connection to Sevilla a couple of months ago and do not recommend it. There is construction and a need to shift to a bus for part of the route, not great during a Madrid rush hour! The trip was slow, required time consuming waits and was more than a bit confusing in my jet lagged state. I should have known better, for there is a really good direct bus service from all terminals at Barajas to ATOCHA which costs about 5 Euros - it runs frequently and makes only a few stops between the airport and the train station. (The bus service is also great when staying in central Madrid).

But my suggestion would be to cancel the RENFE reservation and instead take a bus directly from Barajas to Pamplona. While it is a little less comfortable, the bus service is faster, cheaper and does not require the trip into central Madrid as the bus leaves directly from Terminal 4. There is sometimes a ticket agent and otherwise a machine from which tickets can be purchased at the bus loading ramp at Termial 4. Advance bus reservations can be made at alsa.es . The bus service sometimes requires a change of busses at Zaragoza, but several trips have proven that transfer to be quick and easy. A secondary benefit - the bus station in Pamplona is near the town center and the route of the Camino while the RENFE station is some distance out.

But my suggestion would be to cancel the RENFE reservation and instead take a bus directly from Barajas to Pamplona. While it is a little less comfortable, the bus service is faster, cheaper and does not require the trip into central Madrid as the bus leaves directly from Terminal 4. There is sometimes a ticket agent and otherwise a machine from which tickets can be purchased at the bus loading ramp at Termial 4. Advance bus reservations can be made at alsa.es . The bus service sometimes requires a change of busses at Zaragoza, but several trips have proven that transfer to be quick and easy. A secondary benefit - the bus station in Pamplona is near the town center and the route of the Camino while the RENFE station is some distance out.

Actually ... the bus goes from Intercambiador de Avenida de America.

Two service providers. PLM Autocares and ALSA. ALSA has a transfer point at Soria or Zaragosa.

Some ... but not all ... buses make a stop or actually originate at Madrid T4. Which is not of much use if your schedule doesn't coincide or if your plane arrives at a different terminal (at which point you need to compare #200 with airport shuttle for time).

#200 EMT Madrid bus from Airport (stops at several points at the airport) to terminate at Avenida de America.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back