• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the Camino a Curse?

MKalcolm M

Solvitur ambulando - It is solved by walking
Time of past OR future Camino
north route spring 2013
Is the camino a curse?

I have walked in pouring rain, with every part of my body in pain, tired to the point of exhaustion. I have been foot-sore, bone weary, and pleading for this to end. I have had blisters that burst, then shed their skin, then turned into a bloody mess of raw flesh. But still I go back.

I have fought bitter and bloody court cases with my ex-wife to take my daughter on the camino. (We won). I work all year to save for this. I forgo pleasures and little luxuries each week to accumulate enough money to pay for it. I give up vacation time, I work overtime, Just to do it all again.

I watch YouTube videos of the camino, with tears pouring down my face. I love my house, but I call Santiago home...

I have walked 5 caminos, over 1600kms, more than a thousand miles, I have been back only 24 hours before I start planning the next one...

What is this, Why is this, this yearning to be on the path again, as the dawn breaks with the light and fresh dew of a new day walking Westwards (or North, or South, or South West), to crest a ridge and look into the next valley over a new panorama, to cook up a communal meal, to clink classes with fellow perigrinos, to laugh with strangers, to hear the pipes on the way, to laugh and cry and hug each other in front of the cathedral...

How I want to do it all again.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I feel as I was gonna die after getting lost our way from SJDPP to Roncesvalles, walking 5 miles more, climbing the Pyrenees. I can still hear the words of my wife saying “we will not do this again” only to hear the words “when do we do this again?” when we got to Praza da Inmaculada. Climbing against the flood on the way to O’cebrero felt like my calvary. Burgos to Hontanas was the very definition of the temptation to quit in the desert. Yet, in the grand scheme of things, the Camino is a great blessing for me, a peregrino. Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's more of a disease, eating away at you relentlessly. It typically starts slow, with only mild symptoms, but if not excised quickly it is often permanent. Friends and family eventually give up trying to cure you, though they never really stop looking at you with that sad 'what hath life wrought?' look as the disease takes ever-deeper root. Eventually, inevitably, the disease consumes you entirely leaving nothing behind but... pure happiness. Contentment. A better outlook on the world. And the wisdom to not walk the Francés in August. :)

It's more of a disease, eating away at you relentlessly. It typically starts slow, with only mild symptoms, but if not excised quickly it is often permanent. Friends and family eventually give up trying to cure you, though they never really stop looking at you with that sad 'what hath life wrought?' look as the disease takes ever-deeper root. Eventually, inevitably, the disease consumes you entirely leaving nothing behind but... pure happiness. Contentment. A better outlook on the world. And the wisdom to not walk the Francés in August. :)
I agree with everything you said 🙂.... except the bit about walking in August ! 😉

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What is this, Why is this, this yearning to be on the path again, as the dawn breaks with the light and fresh dew of a new day walking Westwards (or North, or South, or South West), to crest a ridge and look into the next valley over a new panorama, to cook up a communal meal, to clink classes with fellow perigrinos, to laugh with strangers, to hear the pipes on the way, to laugh and cry and hug each other in front of the cathedral...

I think you answered your own question quite well... :)

Is the camino a curse?

I have walked in pouring rain, with every part of my body in pain, tired to the point of exhaustion. I have been foot-sore, bone weary, and pleading for this to end. I have had blisters that burst, then shed their skin, then turned into a bloody mess of raw flesh. But still I go back.

I have fought bitter and bloody court cases with my ex-wife to take my daughter on the camino. (We won). I work all year to save for this. I forgo pleasures and little luxuries each week to accumulate enough money to pay for it. I give up vacation time, I work overtime, Just to do it all again.

I watch YouTube videos of the camino, with tears pouring down my face. I love my house, but I call Santiago home...

I have walked 5 caminos, over 1600kms, more than a thousand miles, I have been back only 24 hours before I start planning the next one...

It’s worse than my chocolate and Cheetos addiction!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As I said, I start planning my next Camino while still walking the current one which isn't as weird as it seems because I have been walking the Camino Francis spring and fall for three years. I am very competitive and love to walk fast. Severe Tendonitis this year made me crazy with worry about what will I do if I can't walk for miles at a time.
Although I have a good life at home, I have been pondering what I miss from the Camino that I can add to my life at home. I can walk 2 miles to the coffee shop some mornings and say hello to everyone I meet.
But what puzzles me is I feel more free to be who I am on the Camino. People are so accepting on the Camino and your shell is a badge of belonging that I miss at home.
As I write this I am realizing that I am still basing my happiness on the reactions of others. 😱I walk slowly (limp) again starting May 29 and will practice being happy and proud of my best efforts. And then I will bring the spirit of the Camino home.

Maybe 'The Man Upstairs' is trying to teach us something?

And we'll finally be released from the Camino's 'pull' when we get it!

Whatever 'it' is............. :oops:

Think it will take me a few more Camino's........... :(
and me also Robo....I run the Australian Pilgrims on The Camino and Beyond facebook group and look forward each day to helping hopeful Camino seekers to achieve their aim of beginning their first Camino, and also, to veteran Camino Walkers who need their 'fix' each day, by providing a place for them to inter-react with like minded people 'who get it and, who get 'us'.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Is the camino a curse?

What is this, Why is this, this yearning to be on the path again, as the dawn breaks with the light and fresh dew of a new day walking Westwards (or North, or South, or South West), to crest a ridge and look into the next valley over a new panorama, to cook up a communal meal, to clink classes with fellow peregrinos, to laugh with strangers, to hear the pipes on the way, to laugh and cry and hug each other in front of the cathedral...

Compadre,

The Camino can become an addiction, like breathing. To my perception, it is a place in this world where an, "ideal life," can be experienced, witnessed, lived, with all its warts, calluses, bad hair days, bad food, pain, blisters, sleepless nights, rain, scorching sun and unrelenting winds. That is the addiction to a truth in ourselves that we simply do not find anywhere else.

For me, I was on a hunt in Ireland to find my roots in 2016. I had the same issues with money, time etc and set my priorities. Once that was done, everything fell into place. Within weeks, I was in Ireland, on my way to the origins of my Family. I had incredible experiences with the most loving, caring people I have ever met, some of them cousins. And my ancestors had left Ireland in 1832.

One day, I took a walk around what is known as the Ballinderry Loop. It was during that walk that I found a place in my Heart for the Emerald Isle. I found myself asking, "How is it I feel more at home here than in the place of my birth?

My feelings while on the Camino are very much the same. The only way to live life is to live it to your greatest truth. Then, it goes beyond an addiction and becomes a calling,

Bl
Is the camino a curse?

cursed but who cares

Is the camino a curse?

OMG!!! I know exactly what you mean. I did my first Camino September/October of 2018 year. I didn't have any problems. Not one single blister or ache. I am 62 and in fair shape. But I cannot get it out of my head. I find myself with tears streaming down my face while driving along because I am thinking about a specific time or place on the Camino. It is driving me crazy. I come to these forums just to read what people have to say about their experiences. WHAT IS WRONG WITH US!! I am planning my second walk for April of 2020.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know what it is either. I said after I finish it 'won't do that again' did not think too much of it. Then exactly 6 months after, I'm wanting to do it again, dreaming of it, watching YouTube, revisiting photos and trying to see how I can make the funds to go back.

Is the camino a curse?

The camino is a funny thing. I walked in October, had a great experience and want so bad to go back and do another one. I written in a previous post, I feel like the camino is pulling me, and I have to go back. We are all blessed to have had a camino experience. Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hmmm I will let you know when I get there but in December I almost bought an albergue for sale. Because I know once I go I will not want to come back. And it seems a better investment of money than the cost of flying back every year until I die. I've been subsisting on youtube videos, documentaries, have watched my copy of the Way countless times over the past seven years since I first heard my call. The desire to go has not diminished but only increased with each passing year. I went through a phase where I "made" myself give up the dream because it seemed so hopeless that I would ever be able to walk. That was a fate worse than death. This is the year I will finally be able to walk so I am so hopeful!!

I have committed to doing this regardless of who doesn't understand. My heart has been singing since.

Hmmm I will let you know when I get there but in December I almost bought an albergue for sale. Because I know once I go I will not want to come back. And it seems a better investment of money than the cost of flying back every year until I die. I've been subsisting on youtube videos, documentaries, have watched my copy of the Way countless times over the past seven years since I first heard my call. The desire to go has not diminished but only increased with each passing year. I went through a phase where I "made" myself give up the dream because it seemed so hopeless that I would ever be able to walk. That was a fate worse than death. This is the year I will finally be able to walk so I am so hopeful!!

I have committed to doing this regardless of who doesn't understand. My heart has been singing since.
We stayed in a small hotel where a woman and her son did just that. She was from France and had walked the camino several times. She came through and saw the place for sale and the rest was history. Lovely woman and an amazing cook (she did all the cooking herself. It was a small place with but 8 rooms). She was very enchanting.

My mom's estate was supposed to settle in January so I'm glad I didn't get as far as an official offer because I'm still waiting to close it. I do wish I had the means to have bought it but I should still walk first before buying lol~

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back