• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the Camino a walking Human Library?

Corned Beef

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Portuguese/ VF (South) / VF Grand St Bernard
Came across the "Human Library" for the first time - though it has been going for almost 20 years. The idea is that instead of borrowing a book, you borrow a person and have 30 minutes to explore a topic.

You have titles such as Bipolar, unemployed, or refugee - with the idea that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Something I'll take with me on the next Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Calgary Public Library (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) had a Human Library event about ten years ago. I "borrowed" a young Sikh man who was very open to my questions. We had a lovely half-hour together when I learned all sorts of things I wouldn't have otherwise been aware of, and because it was "live" his answers helped me come up with more questions. Absolutely wonderful experience which I would like to repeat with other human "books", and very generous of the young man.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As worth talking to? Oh, yes. I even talk to Estate Agents, Politicians, Journalists and other types on the fringes of polite society ;)
Thanks, Tincatinker. But I guess I should have been more specific.
I should have written:
"Corned Beef, is that how you see your fellow human beings?"

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Corned beef…..I, too am discovering this movement for the first time. At the young age of 70, my education continues. I will check out the website you mentioned more fully soon.

I like the concept of the Human Library in approaching all people with clear and open eyes. I find that when I, in wonder at the human condition, approach the people I meet with openness and kindness there is so much for me to learn.

I feel that to be nonjudgmental is definitely an art and perhaps, a vocation. I am, and always will be, a student of this art. I am often called upon to “unjudge” due to my lack of knowledge about someone else‘s circumstances. It can be a humbling experience.

As in a library, in the Human Library there are so many ”books”. Yes, we see the ones that you mention who are often unfairly judged. We also see so many others like Healer, Listener, Mentor, Helper. All books have something to teach us. Yours is a worthy goal to take this concept of “not judging a book by its cover“ on any Camino.

Thank you for giving me something new to think about today.

The forum is a branch - maybe a mobile one - of the library. :)
It is indeed. When I first learned about the Human Library a few years ago, I immediately thought about the camino and the conversations I've had walking with someone for 30 min or a couple of hours or a full day. I've learned so much over the years. Everybody has a story. The camino is definitely a human library.

€60,-
Thanks, Tincatinker. But I guess I should have been more specific.
I should have written:
"Corned Beef, is that how you see your fellow human beings?"
"Corned Beef" is a commodity - - and possessed of a short period of utility.

A library is the entrance to entirely new worlds of knowledge, thoughts, skills, and attitudes delivering potentially life-changing opportunities to the reader.

So, though I am decidedly asocial, I have never missed the opportunity to listen to someone who really wants to talk to me.

Because they always have a story to tell, time was going by anyway, and they felt better for having talked whether it proved useful to me or not. ("Not" has been a rare occasion.)

IMHO, opening myself to another's "book" does not demean them but often enriches me.

But, perhaps I missed your point as regarding another person as a book worthy of exploration is, in my view, the granting of a very high honor.

B

As someone who works in prisons, this concept speaks to me. To work in as a health care worker in these places requires a non-judgmental heart and one is frequently reminded that we all have different stories.

Sometimes if I have a spare moment, I have the odd chat with my patients. I have learned many things during these chats. Some things are practical, some are hilarious. Some are seriously eye-opening and some are tragic. Often the inmate and I have something in common. Sometimes the topics touch all of these things. Sometimes I learn some things one could only learn in prison.

We are all Human Libraries.

Came across the "Human Library" for the first time - though it has been going for almost 20 years. The idea is that instead of borrowing a book, you borrow a person and have 30 minutes to explore a topic.

You have titles such as Bipolar, unemployed, or refugee - with the idea that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover.

Is that how you see your fellow human beings in general?

It seems as if Jeff Robinson seems to be concerned with the idea that Corned Beef sees his fellow human beings as objects that can be treated as such. If I am misunderstanding your response, Jeff, feel free to correct me. In that case, I apologize for misconstruing you. Certainly, it is one way to react, but I don't think it is necessarily the most charitable way to approach what has been offered.

I admit that I myself have used the expression "You shouldn't judge a book by its cover" in the context of my fellow human beings in general. And I think it is a lesson that many of us have taken from our Caminos. When it comes to people, appearances can be misleading and one's first impressions are mistaken. We often find we have been too judgmental and not sufficiently understanding (or aware) of where people are coming from. Having conversations with people from other walks of life, from other countries, from other professions, religions, social strata, etc. helps us move away from our earlier uninformed judgments. It sounds to me like the "Human Library" program recognizes the same thing and is designed to give people that same opportunity without having to travel so far to get it.

I know that at first glance it can seem to be objectifying. "Borrow a person" indeed! But if the whole purpose is to look past our first impressions, perhaps we need to do that in judging the program as well. Just as with books, we certainly have a lot to learn from each other.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back