• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the Camino Ingles ok for riding bikes on?

min200

This is to be our camino and we are wanting to use our mountain bikes to do it. Has anyone used bikes along this one before and what were your experiences?

Thanks

Nick

A selection of Camino Jewellery
HI - I'm not aware of any other pilgrim cyclists, although there must be some. In saying that the times I have walked the route I have regularly met sports cyclists even on the most rugged stretches. I think you will be able to manage the vast majority of the route on mountain bikes. It would be really good if you could write down your experience of this route by bike for others.

Buen Camino

John

We will be doing a full blog on the website I am going to set up about doing it so I will happily share our experiences here!

This is to be our first camino with plans for more in the future hence the site set up for charity!

I will let you know the link once its done if thats ok with the mods. There will be no "forum" on it just an indepth description of why we are doing it, the blog and info on the charity we are helping out.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The average distance by cyclists on the Camino Frances is about 50km so you could do it two days on a bike.

Yes - I was thinking the same. I think it will be essential to get a sello in Ferrol and then try to get several more along the way when they stop for coffee etc if they want a Compostela.

Cyclists need to cycle 200km for a Compostela. They could ask for the 'other' certificate.

Attachments

• Certificate  .JPG
    Certificate .JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 931
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Whats the Other certificate and how/where do you collect the stamps from? Also where do you get the passport bit to be stamped from?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Nick,
You only need the credencial (pilgrim passport) if you intend staying in the refuges along the way. If you are going to stay in alternate accommodation, you don't really need one.
If you are starting in Ferrol, and would like one as a record of your ride, a forum member posted this advice on collecting a credencial which you can get stamped at any albergue, hotel, cafe-bar, police station, tourism office etc.

Go to the Xunta Galicia which is situated near the oPlaza Espana in the centre of town. On the first floor at Tourist Information they will give you a Credential as well as information about the route, including directions (the other tourist information offices in town do not have this facility). This credential can be stamped almost anywhere, just ask for a ‘Sello’ and show your booklet.

This is the 'passport' that you present at the Pilgrims' Office in Rua do Vilar in Santiago in order to obtain a Compostela. To earn the Compostela, a pilgrim must walk at least the last 100km to Santiago, or cycle the last 200km. As starting in Ferrol does not qualify for a cycling pilgrim, you can ask for the 'Tourist' certificate - the one I posted above.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there. I’m thinking of spending around five to seven days walking the Ingles, and would be interested in getting some input. I’ve walked the Portuges from Porto to Santiago, before continuing...
So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back