• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the camino portugues very quiet in May?

berginn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016)
Camino Portuguese (2016)
Hi all,

Myself and a friend are torn between walking the Camino Portugues from Porto or doing the last ~250km of the Camino Frances. Although we've heard the Camino Frances can be very busy, we're worried the Camino Portugues might be too quiet for us. While we'd welcome the tranquillity, we'd also like to get to know some other pilgrims. If anybody could shed some light on this I'd be very much grateful. Our plan is to begin around May 15th for 2wks.

p.s. I've also read that the Camino Portugues runs alongside a lot of motorway. Is this really the case? ('coastal route' paints a different picture for me)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,

Myself and a friend are torn between walking the Camino Portugues from Porto or doing the last ~250km of the Camino Frances. Although we've heard the Camino Frances can be very busy, we're worried the Camino Portugues might be too quiet for us. While we'd welcome the tranquillity, we'd also like to get to know some other pilgrims. If anybody could shed some light on this I'd be very much grateful. Our plan is to begin around May 15th for 2wks.

p.s. I've also read that the Camino Portugues runs alongside a lot of motorway. Is this really the case? ('coastal route' paints a different picture for me)
I walked the Porto to Santiago route in 2014. The first day was the costal route and the route was ours alone but as soon as you head inland and get back on the main route there will be plenty of pilgrims. Most of the walk was on back roads, trails, farmer access roads, and walkways along highways. There ia a partial day of scarry no shoulder no where to escape road walking in Portugal.
I will walk the French way in April so I can't speak about this route. I can speak about the Portugese route. It's a often overlooked route which is unfortunate. Walk the costal route the first day. It's beautiful and, while a little long, a easy first day walk. The walk inland to Rates is pleasant easy days walk too. Actually the entire walk was pleasent. The Portugues are a very warm friendly people as are the Spanish. Do take a day or 2 to explore Porto. Do spend a night at Casa Fernanda. Do spend the night on the Portuguese side of the boarder instead of Tui and visit the fort.

Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Hi all,

Walked from Lisboa to SdC in May 2014.
from Lisboa - Porto i had only veryyy few encounters with other pilgrims during the day. in the evening though i would met up with others in albergues/pensao's/hostels.
was great. good mix between alone time and company (if i chose to join up)
after Porto it was certainly much more busy - and especially starting from Tui / Galicia.

and as to your PS question:
"....p.s. I've also read that the Camino Portugues runs alongside a lot of motorway. Is this really the case? ('coastal route' paints a different picture for me) ..."
in my experience, that statement is rubbish. So i'd say no - not the case. there is walking alongside country roads (motorway in my book is a Freeway / Autobahn sort of road) - and on a very few occassions one walks along side main roads. not so pleasant. but it's certainly not 'runs alongside a lot' -
from Porto - we took a bus to Metrosinho - and walked from there to Vila do Conde . much of it on boardwards. but not all ---
i certainly enjoyed many a kilometer through fields, forrests, country paths, etc. and in May you'll enjoy the splendid wildflowers ...
Bom Caminho!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I fully agree with Amorfati1 .the Portuguese caminho is a great walk.north of Porto are highways but far away from the caminho path.
Only going out of Porto it is better to walk from Matosinhos along the coast instead of following the waymarkers through the busy infrastructure directly north of Porto- alternative here is take the metro to Fórum Maia and walk from there into a beautifull rural landscape direction Mosteiro de Vãirão where you find your first albergue in a monastery. Great to start your Portuguese caminho.
Every year , after having walked my 2 Portuguese caminhos , I intend to walk the Francès but this year again having doubts , it will be my next caminho Portugues . The country, the people, the food, the wines , these all atract me more than the idea of the crowds on the Françès. In my avatar is written in Portuguese "eu gosto do caminho Português" I love the caminho Português"
Bom caminho

@Albertinho I totally agree with you about the country, people, food and wines. I'm bringing another on the Caminho Português this summer, in fact we will reach Santiago on 24 July in time for the festival. This year we will be walking the entire coast of Portugal from Porto northward. We will ferry across the river into Spain and then walk the coast of Spain to Vigo where we will then turn inland to meet up with the traditional inland Camino at Redondela. Yes, Eu gusto do Caminho Português !!

@berginn You will not be disappointed if you choose the Caminho Português for your Camino, it is my favorite route. I've walked the Francés twice, the Inglés, and also the Costa da Morte - the Português is my favorite, which is why, although I offer tours on all the routes, I continue to promote my guided groups along the Português with such gusto!.

Arlène

Having walked both Portuguese, you are spoilt for choice.
Company enough, on either route.
If pushed, I would choose the Coastal, all the way to S de C.
Metro fro Porto, to Matosinhos Mercardo. First arrow as you cross the bridge; then just keep the sea on your left!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Albertinho I totally agree with you about the country, people, food and wines. I'm bringing another on the Caminho Português this summer, in fact we will reach Santiago on 24 July in time for the festival. This year we will be walking the entire coast of Portugal from Porto northward. We will ferry across the river into Spain and then walk the coast of Spain to Vigo where we will then turn inland to meet up with the traditional inland Camino at Redondela. Yes, Eu gusto do Caminho Português !!

@berginn You will not be disappointed if you choose the Caminho Português for your Camino, it is my favorite route. I've walked the Francés twice, the Inglés, and also the Costa da Morte - the Português is my favorite, which is why, although I offer tours on all the routes, I continue to promote my guided groups along the Português with such gusto!.

Arlène
I agree with you !
Hope the ferry is sailing. It depends on the tide but there is an alternative by sailing with a small fisherman's boat which is great fun.
To complete the fun, I advise you to walk the Variante Espiritual from Pontevedra to Vila Nova de Arousa and take the fast boat to Pontecessures/Padrón instead of the common central route to Caldas de Reis. A great detour.
Enjoy and bom caminho

I Walked porto to SdC twice in may. I would say ot was a perfect time. It os just busy enough for it to be a very social camino without being crowded.

Weatherwise the same, perfect.

You will really enjoy it.

Walk day one along the coast (you can start at Porto cathedral or in Matosinos and day two walk inland.
Dont stay on the coast after day one. Then you will not meet so many pilgrims.

Roadwalking? I cant remember there to be alot of roadwalking. Nope, this is an excellent camino :)

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks to everyone for the replies, you've done a very good job of selling the Camino Portugues! Going by all your advice it really does sound great - I'm looking forward to the adventure even more now. Can I also say what a great resource this forum is, and long may it continue - I was having some difficulty finding information until I came across this site. I now know where to find the experts if I have any more questions!

Hi
Can anybody tell me if you get your Compostella if you go by boat from VNdA to Padrón

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back