• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the Camino Portuguese crowded?

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (Sevilla-Salamanca 2015) Via de la Plata (Salamanca- Santiago de Compostela 2016)
Hellow!
Does anybody know if the Camino Potugueses is very crowded jus now?I have heart that Camino del Norte is full of people and it is difficult to get a place where to sleep. Our Camino will begin on 30th August in Porto, if God will.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hellow!
Does anybody know if the Camino Potugueses is very crowded jus now?I have heart that Camino del Norte is full of people and it is difficult to get a place where to sleep. Our Camino will begin on 30th August in Porto, if God will.
Hi, Saara,

If you will start on Aug 30th what does it matter how crowded the Camino is right now? ;)

Bom Caminho!

PS (Please, don't ask how crowded it will be on Aug 30th because nobody knows that...)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We did from Baiona to SdC in July and we saw an incremental amount of pilgrims as we arrived closer to SdC.
One morning, I was trying to solve a mobile carrier issue and stopped near Redondela exit and in the 30min I sit by the church chatting with the Service Desk we saw probably 50 pilgrims pass by.
Then we took the Variante Espiritual it drastically went to 0-2 pilgrims per day.
I suppose that if you don't want to walk a crowded path you can always adjust your pace. If you wake up early and walk fast you can avoid the most traffic. Also if you get accommodation near the exit of each stage you can start ahead of everybody the following morning.

Hellow!
I just finished and I am in Porto now I did not have any problems until the last 100km. That is a different story all together. But I think it get less busy at the end of the month because school starts back up

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Started in Lisboa last year Aug 29th. Very few Pilgrims (maybe 5-10 each evening) until Coimbra, where I encountered a group of 12 folks walking together. By The time we reached Porto, we were seeing 25-30 Pilgrims per day. From Porto to Tui, the numbers had increased, but it still wasn’t crowded like the CF. From Tui to SdC was a different story, with busloads of Pilgrims walking the last 100Km. I figured out that they were stopping a certain larger cities with lots of rooms and targeted my stopping places to be out of phase with them. No real issues until the last night when I stayed about 15 Km south of Santiago and found a nice hotel, as the albergue was full. Bom Caminho!

Whatever their reasons for making a Caminho one is forced to conclude the 'bus loads' of pilgrims are perhaps only ticking off a 'bucket list' item - 'Get the Compostela fom Santiago'.
Perhaps time to re-evalute the criteria for qualifying for the Certificate or perhaps do away with it altogether. Though I can't help wondering if that would make any difference either to the numbers walking or issues with accommodation.
A 100km? Walk in the park, easy peasy....500km, now you're talking.
And I don't mean for that to be taken against people with disabilities.
Ah for the good old days of walking to Santiago and then home again - the 'real thing'!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hellow!
Hard to predict with certitude, but generally as school and university start again, the numbers on the caminos taper off. If you look at Christian's pdf for lodging on the Camino Portugues, that may help you sort out finding places to stay.
I tried attaching my half copy that starts after Porto, but it won't allow me to. Said it wasn't in the correct format. Maybe someone else can point you to Christian's pdf.

Hellow!
Currently on the Camino Portuguese in Piai de Âncora.started outside Porto and we’re not seeing many people at all. We did book ahead in places near beaches but I would think once school starts the vacationing families will be gone.

In Albergaria a Velha the auberge Rainha D. Teresa last night had two people staying. I reckon you can call that 'quiet'! Yes it is 'south' of Porto but just goes to show....

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hellow!
I did the the Camino Portuguese from Porto in September 2017. The section between Porto and the Spanish border was not very crowded. The Camino becomes more busy when you cross the border into Spain. The busiest section is of course over the last 100KM of the route to qualify for a Compostella. The last day into Santiago from Padron was the busiest day for me. There were plenty of accommodation options along the route.
The busiest day fro me was in Ponte de Lima where the last festival of Summer takes place over two days. The festival was fantastic and I would recommend anyone who is considering a camino in September to try and arrange a visit during this event (September 4 to 9 2019)

Hard to predict with certitude, but generally as school and university start again, the numbers on the caminos taper off. If you look at Christian's pdf for lodging on the Camino Portugues, that may help you sort out finding places to stay.
I tried attaching my half copy that starts after Porto, but it won't allow me to. Said it wasn't in the correct format. Maybe someone else can point you to Christian's pdf.
Hi how do I find the pdf on lodging ? Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back