Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Is the city of Braga on any route?

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
I have walked the CP both from Lisboa (I deliberately spell it correctly...) and Porto. I also walked from Porto to SdC the normal route (not Coastal). I have just been made aware that in the city of Braga, inland from Barcelos, there is a beautiful cathedral, earlier mandatory visited by pilgrims:

So I ask you, educated pilgrims: Is there an alternative route that goes through Braga? It is said that if you climb the 1165(?) steps up to the cathedral, on your knees, you are forgiven all your former sins. Well, after some 11-12 previous Caminos, I regard myself as (relatively) sin-free and forgiven, especially since at the age of 66, I have stopped sinning (I hope), so I would prefer to just walk the steps up...

But seriously: On the CP, is there a route alternative through Braga, inland from Porto/Barcelos?

Isca-camigo

Camino(s) past & future
Various ones.
Hi Alex you can walk two ways from Porto, one goes direct and the other goes by Guimares. I have a feeling someone posted a resource on the forum for this either last year or the year before.

The Camino Torres goes from Salamanca to Braga, some of it is way marked and some you will have to use GPS, there would be plenty of stunning places you could join it at, the way it enters Braga you could tag on to local routes and go Bom Jesus and then use other routes to go into Braga's centre.

The sanctuary you have given outside of Braga is the starting point for the Via Mariana, which goes to Santiago and then onto Muxia, it's around 330km. I joined their facebook page a couple of years ago and the photos that keep being put up from the pilgrims who have walked it are stunning. The Camino Geira is the route I want to walk but this keeps turning my head. Luis Freixo who does the the maps for Portuguese/ Galician Caminos has a detailed one of the Via Mariana, he gives you a few options for visiting Sanctuary's before Braga, it would be a days walking in itself and a few hefty ascents thrown in.

Or you could just start in Barcelos, I saw photos years ago of an amigos group who walked Between Braga and Barcelos , so there is some kind of local path out there, but I can't find it on Wikiloc or other places.

Good luck.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I have been to Braga and the beautiful Bom Jesus, but only as a tourist. I did see a few pilgrims or walkers with backpacks in the heart of the city on a hot June day, but did not investigate to get any details from them.

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Camino(s) past & future
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
The Way through Braga from Porto is the older traditional one, and the more coastal Way most people seem to go on nowadays is the variant. (there seem to be a couple more variants to skip Braga towards the West)

There is a Way from Slamanca, and whilst a waymarked modern trail goes through Braga, this time that's the variant, as that route historically heads up north after Lamego to Ourense, going nowhere near Braga (same as the "official" path).

Donovan

The Camino Torres goes from Salamanca to Braga, some of it is way marked and some you will have to use GPS, there would be plenty of stunning places you could join it at, the way it enters Braga you could tag on to local routes and go Bom Jesus and then use other routes to go into Braga's centre.

Good luck.

I really enjoyed the Camino Torres. As said, some very interesting towns, and a lovely walk through the Portuguese hills. I found all I needed to know on this website:

http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/

The Relatos section contains several very informative reports from previous pilgrims, including Pelerine and Magwood of this forum.

Last edited:

MyDestinationGalicia

Mark Auchincloss
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Invierno,Portuguese Ways x15 French Way Sarria x5, Silver Way Ourense, Santiago-Muxia x2..
Yes you really must visit Braga it's so beautiful and its people real friendly etc. There's lots of caminos which you can walk crossing the mountains to Lobios where you turn right and head towards Celanova to Ourense or turn left towards the Ribeiro wine producing area whose capital is Ribadavia where I now live having abandoned the Coastal Route where I used to live in Baiona ! Here's the links to the Ribeiro camino and route from Braga to Santiago both via Ribadavia...https://debragaasantiago.com/etapas-camino-xacobeo/ & https://www.caminominotoribeiro.com/en/

Camino(s) past & future
2012 Lemovicensis + Francés;
2016 Podiensis + CdN + Fisterra;
2018 VdlP + Sanabrés + Muxia/Fisterra
Alex,
may be you also should take a look on the Camino Zamorano Portugues.
It´s a branch of the Via de la Plata starting in Zamora and uniting with the Sanabrés in Veirin. It passes Braga.

¡Ultreia!

WalkingJane

Camino(s) past & future
May and October 2015
(2015 October)
June 2018 Portuguese
I have been to Braga and the beautiful Bom Jesus, but only as a tourist. I did see a few pilgrims or walkers with backpacks in the heart of the city on a hot June day, but did not investigate to get any details from them.
I lived in Braga for 2 years, working for Habitat for Humanity. It is a beautiful city, with many Cathedrals besides Bom Jesus. If part of the reason for your walk is to learn more about the history of the country, do manage to spend a bit of time there. Parts of the Se Cathedral were built in Roman times. During Holy Week there are several processions........

WalkingJane

Camino(s) past & future
May and October 2015
(2015 October)
June 2018 Portuguese
I have walked the CP both from Lisboa (I deliberately spell it correctly...) and Porto. I also walked from Porto to SdC the normal route (not Coastal). I have just been made aware that in the city of Braga, inland from Barcelos, there is a beautiful cathedral, earlier mandatory visited by pilgrims:

So I ask you, educated pilgrims: Is there an alternative route that goes through Braga? It is said that if you climb the 1165(?) steps up to the cathedral, on your knees, you are forgiven all your former sins. Well, after some 11-12 previous Caminos, I regard myself as (relatively) sin-free and forgiven, especially since at the age of 66, I have stopped sinning (I hope), so I would prefer to just walk the steps up...

But seriously: On the CP, is there a route alternative through Braga, inland from Porto/Barcelos?
There is a tram up to Bom Jesus, in Braga, for those whose feet or knees cannot manage the steps....

AlwynWellington

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
please see signature
is there a route alternative through Braga

I suggest you try this link. It is focused on the Caminho da Geira e dos Arrieiros starting from Braga.

But also shows other way marked routes in the vicinity. Scroll back and you will see many more routes in all directions.

Particularly relevant is the Camino Torres starting from Salamanca and ending at Braga and the Caminho Portugues por Braga starting from Porto.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)

Hello Alex

Back in the day you started a pilgrimage to Santiago from your own front door, so in that sense there is a route through (or from) Braga.

The cathedral is indeed impressive and the collection of relics, including the almost obligatory mummified former archbishop, interesting enough. I wouldn’t say it was worth a detour - not that any experience need be ‘worth’ anything other than to the participant.

I’m just a few years behind you, but still accelerating my sinning every year.

David

Wendy Werneth

Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francés from SJPdP (2017)
Camino Primitivo (2018)
Camino de Madrid (2019)
Kumano Kodo (2019)
If you are interested in religious architecture, there are three buildings in particular that I definitely recommend seeing while you are in Braga.

The first is the Cathedral, which is the oldest Cathedral in Portugal. There's even a saying in Portuguese, "mais velho do que a Sé de Braga", which means "older than the Braga Cathedral" and is used to describe something that's very, very old. Be sure to pay the two euros extra for the guided tour of the chapels, which I found much more interesting than the Cathedral itself.

The second is the Santuário do Bom Jesus do Monte, which is the church with the staircase that you are talking about. It's not a cathedral, just a church. I counted 582 steps when I walked it a month ago, a far cry from 1165.

The third is the Capela de São Frutuoso de Montélios. Attached to a little-known church on the outskirts of the city is this magnificent 7th-century Visigothic/Mozarabe chapel.

There are plenty of other churches in Braga, of course, but these are the ones that really stand out. You can read more about them in this article I wrote about Braga.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(15,16,18)CheminduPuy(16) Portuguese(16 VDLP(17)Primitivo(17)Ireland-3000K(18) Norte18Vasco17

Yes. There are two routes going through Braga. It is a beautiful stop.9E8FE16E-EBD6-4216-B8AA-3783B471B80D.png

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC

Advertisement